Old 07-21-2019, 10:38 AM   #71
3rd one is the charm?

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Actually, the opening is pretty much meaningless in a practical sense, except that it illustrates that no matter what people will find something to complain about. If it wasn't that gap, it would be something else.

There, I said it.
So if there was a tear on the 'bottom' side of a mattress or seat cushions--meaningless in a practical sense, and therefore acceptable? A gouge on the 'backside' of a closet door, acceptable?

How anyone can defend a 12 inch by 1 inch 'mistake' in the bottom of the trailer, that allows one to see right through to the ground FROM THE INSIDE, while inviting all manner of critters aboard to nest throughout the belly, store their food away there, and raise their families...but can't be seen because hidden by a panel, is beyond me. Yes, I know industrious mice could still manage to possibly find their way in through various small gaps, but why make it an open invitation? I've gone over mine from stem to stern and I can find no gaps that a mouse could fit through...all seams are tightly fit and/or well-sealed. That opening is beyond the pale. And, what's the point of a 'heated' belly pan...if there is a basically a vent opening, right below two plumbing lines? That make a lot of sense if caught in winter weather. I have traveled in 15 below F temps with the furnace on, with no plumbing freeze issues. I'm doubtful that would be the case on this particular trailer.

Calling out such an obvious flaw in care or craftsmanship is something to unreasonably 'complain' about? Okey Doke!

pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:18 AM   #72
3 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Manhattan , Kansas
I thank the "The Naker" and others on this thread for finding this flaw and pointing it out. I probably would have never found it on my own and just maybe it saved me damage from mice. Believe me that my DW sends her thanks also.

CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:54 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Holes in the floor of my 2019 Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
So if there was a tear on the 'bottom' side of a mattress or seat cushions--meaningless in a practical sense, and therefore acceptable? A gouge on the 'backside' of a closet door, acceptable?

How anyone can defend a 12 inch by 1 inch 'mistake' in the bottom of the trailer, that allows one to see right through to the ground FROM THE INSIDE, while inviting all manner of critters aboard to nest throughout the belly, store their food away there, and raise their families...but can't be seen because hidden by a panel, is beyond me. Yes, I know industrious mice could still manage to possibly find their way in through various small gaps, but why make it an open invitation? I've gone over mine from stem to stern and I can find no gaps that a mouse could fit through...all seams are tightly fit and/or well-sealed. That opening is beyond the pale. And, what's the point of a 'heated' belly pan...if there is a basically a vent opening, right below two plumbing lines? That make a lot of sense if caught in winter weather. I have traveled in 15 below F temps with the furnace on, with no plumbing freeze issues. I'm doubtful that would be the case on this particular trailer.

Calling out such an obvious flaw in care or craftsmanship is something to unreasonably 'complain' about? Okey Doke!

Heres my point, if that gap bothers a person, he should invest in a roll of the aluminum duct tape, (the heavy foil stuff), cut a 12" strip, take five minutes and seal the gap.

Somebody screwed up a little bit somewhere along the assembly line, it happens.

No matter what anyone says, it's a very small issue, yet there are some folks who see it as an Airstream armageddon.

Perhaps scale of offense should play a role in assessing the catastrophe.

Look, I can understand how the owner of the trailer might have posted about this, although I wouldn't have, but it's almost amusing to watch posters pile on as if a small gap in the belly pan is the end of the world.

That's my honest view of the matter, anyone who doesn't like it,, well too bad, I don't care.

OH, Has anyone considered that this "flaw" might be a feature that might allow water to escape the belly pan in the event of a major flood event? I mean it is pretty close to the main water entry point isn't it?

(The more I look at the photo, the more it looks to me like the hole was made intentionally)

Honestly, if I was going to complain about anything, it wouldn't be the gap in the belly pan, it would be the plastic PEX elbows that were used instead of brass. I don't get that, but that's just me though.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:34 PM   #74
3rd one is the charm?

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
I thank the "The Naker" and others on this thread for finding this flaw and pointing it out. I probably would have never found it on my own and just maybe it saved me damage from mice. Believe me that my DW sends her thanks also.
Did you have the same gap on yours? I was hoping to hear that Naker's was a one-off due to an incorrectly sized piece of sheet metal or something that was ignored at assembly.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:28 PM   #75
3 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Manhattan , Kansas
Quote:
Did you have the same gap on yours? I was hoping to hear that Naker's was a one-off due to an incorrectly sized piece of sheet metal or something that was ignored at assembly.

Look at my post number 47 and you will where I seeing the light from. That worries me since this would prime location for mice or what every to enter the AS and in to the kitchen cabinets.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:36 PM   #76
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Oakville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
I'm glad my post helped someone else fix a potential area for rodent infiltration. None of my posts were about complaining. I posted for two reasons: 1) to help inform other Classic 33 owners about an area to check and 2) to see if anyone else had seen areas like this that I should check. To me, that is the whole point of these forums. To share useful information.
The Naker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:48 PM   #77
AirDreamer

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Agreed! That is the point of these forums.

Can you imagine learning this stuff on your own?

Support Airstream Forum***
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:20 AM   #78
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Miami Beach , Florida
Yes thatís all true. Thatís why a drop out vent https://www.youtube.com/redirect?v=z...26_sacat%253D0
was invented to go through the floor of the trailer to BOTH allow for any LPG leaks to escape since it is heavier than air, and to allow for fresh air to enter, leaving no room for rodents to enter.
rsementi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:15 AM   #79
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
I agree with you that if the trailer is too "tight", moisture has nowhere to go. Opening the shower vent and also the bathroom vent would be plenty. Ours are always open except for travel.

Hi

If it rains with the bathroom vent open ... you can get a puddle right at the base of the toilet. I have data on this .....

Same issue with the shower vent and storing stuff in the shower. We keep the dirty laundry there when the shower is not in use.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:49 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Aaaaahhhh, I see. So there's a hole in the plywood floor, which is not an issue by itself...of course there penetrations through the plywood floor in all our trailers to accommodate plumbing, electrical, heating. But a big gap in the belly covering, as shown in the pics posted by the OP in post #1 and post #44 from the outside, that allows one to see grass through the plumbing hole, from the INSIDE of the trailer...is actually a well thought-out design feature to allow the trailer to 'breathe', and prevent the stove vent fan motor from burning out?

BAHAHAHAHAHA. That one 'jumps the shark' even in the realm of Airstream Defenders.

When I want to turn on the stove vent or fantastic fan, if the windows are closed due to cooler weather, I crack a window, open the bath vent, open other fantastic fan lid, etc. Obviously.

Of course the belly pan will not be "air-tight." But being able to SEE the lawn or the road through a hole in the interior floor is not acceptable. Give me a break. Something was missed during manufacture of that trailer...a 'short' piece of aluminum that an installer put on anyway, or whatever. The pics speak for themselves.
lol I was thinking the same thing. Having huge holes in your floor and belly pan is a feature!

When Airstream didn't screw my dinette bench to the floor, it was so that I can easily move it around. What a nice FEATURE!

When Airstream didn't connect two of my electrical outlets, it was a feature to make sure that I don't draw too much power!

LOL some posts on this forum are hilarious.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:36 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
lol I was thinking the same thing. Having huge holes in your floor and belly pan is a feature!

When Airstream didn't screw my dinette bench to the floor, it was so that I can easily move it around. What a nice FEATURE!

When Airstream didn't connect two of my electrical outlets, it was a feature to make sure that I don't draw too much power!

LOL some posts on this forum are hilarious.

If I were you I'd get rid of it.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:29 AM   #82
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsementi View Post
Yes thatís all true. Thatís why a drop out vent
was invented to go through the floor of the trailer to BOTH allow for any LPG leaks to escape since it is heavier than air, and to allow for fresh air to enter, leaving no room for rodents to enter.
rsementi, but wouldnít that just move the propane gas to the sealed space below the floor? Or would you put another vent in the belly pan? That would allow heat to escape when near freezing and want the tanks to stay warm? I like the vent idea just trying to understand how best to implement it.
WBCCI# 10258
2020 Retirement Plan
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:37 AM   #83
Cobalt

2019 25' International
Anywhere , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naker View Post
This is what I'm going to do. I'm now convinced the problem isn't the holes in the floor. I need to go over the entire underside of the trailer and seal up any openings.

Also I just wanted to say that I'm not complaining or upset with Airstream. I still really like my trailer and when I decided to buy it I knew that I'd have to deal with small issues like this. As long as I can fix them its all good. And this process along with other fixes I've done have helped me to learn the systems and location of various items in the trailer and be more comfortable with any repairs I may have to make when I'm on a trip.
I agree with you completely, EXCEPT.
I have had several simple issues come up by which I called AS JC. Very cooperative, weíll get back to you. Nothing, no texts, emails, phone call, Nothing.
Based upon customer service alone, and I mean down to the AS dealers Iíve had, I would not buy another one. Strong statement. They left me with the feeling ďThis is an Airstream, how dare you question our XX years of building a great product.Ē
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:40 AM   #84
Cobalt

2019 25' International
Anywhere , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
I agree with you completely, EXCEPT.
I have had several simple issues come up by which I called AS JC. Very cooperative, weíll get back to you. Nothing, no texts, emails, phone call, Nothing.
Based upon customer service alone, and I mean down to the AS dealers Iíve had, I would not buy another one. Strong statement. They left me with the feeling ďThis is an Airstream, how dare you question our XX years of building a great product.Ē
Now, Iíll add that dealer maintenance, warranty work, etc, has been outstanding. They are simply the best of anything Iíve ever dealt with. They literally stop work to help you, if a quick fix, they do it. That customer service cannot be matched, by any auto dealer or other store.

Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote