Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2017, 09:33 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Midlothian , Texas
help with information

Hi all - we are new and in the process of buying a "gently" used 2016 Classic 30 foot trailer. Now. the salesman showing us around yesterday was not familiar with every little detail. So we put a deposit down on it to hold it but we still have some questions

1. Is there room under the dinette seats for storage? It looks like there might be but it would not come open.

2. Is there room under the middle part of the sofa for storage? again it looked like it might be but....... in this model the sofa becomes a recliner on each end - not a bed

3. we were just also wondering where to hookup the satellite receiver box - any suggestions?

thanks so much and keep fingers crossed - are we getting a good trailer here ?
TexasMarci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMarci View Post
Hi all - we are new and in the process of buying a "gently" used 2016 Classic 30 foot trailer. Now. the salesman showing us around yesterday was not familiar with every little detail. So we put a deposit down on it to hold it but we still have some questions

1. Is there room under the dinette seats for storage? It looks like there might be but it would not come open.

2. Is there room under the middle part of the sofa for storage? again it looked like it might be but....... in this model the sofa becomes a recliner on each end - not a bed

3. we were just also wondering where to hookup the satellite receiver box - any suggestions?

thanks so much and keep fingers crossed - are we getting a good trailer here ?
Hi TexasMarci, greetings from central Kentucky and congratulations on your new AS. Welcome to AirForums

I can't answer your questions but you could go to the AS site and look for the owner's manual, if you don't have one. The owner's manual should be able to answer your questions, but maybe someone else with one like yours will respond.
https://www.airstream.com/service/manuals/
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:35 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Seattle , Washington
Sounds like the salesman does not know Airstream trailers...

1) there are pull out drawers under both dinette seats. The finger latch is pretty far back in the hand pull slot. Put your fingers in and feel for the plastic blade latch, put up on latch, then open drawer.

2) same as above.

3) over head cabinet where the DVD player is. There is a short coax for satellite receiver.

Good luck with the purchase and happy trails.
swimin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:20 AM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The only thing I would add is that the drawers under the dinette seats are not quite as deep as you might think. The width of the "aisle" impacts how deep they can make them.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:05 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cape Coral , Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to riffgod1000
Here’s some advice don’t buy one unless your close to a Airstream dealer!
We have a 2017 Classic that has been a nightmare trying to get help with inoperable systems.
We’re hundreds of miles from a dealer and no help.
Good luck, your gonna need it!
riffgod1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:52 PM   #6
JYD
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Hideaway , Texas
I purchased a gently used 2016 Classic 6 months ago and have had no trouble. Pulled it 5000 miles and stayed it 60 nights.

Bill
JYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:14 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cape Coral , Florida
Good for you!

We replaced the Alde system pump, bathroom fan stopped working, light in the range hood, front accent locker light doesn’t work, firefly switch board at the sofa quit working, windows won’t stay open in the first position, window shades have to be forced down over the opening handles, the awning rafters are at the zip dee factory to have them equalized because the awning wouldn’t open and close properly and the floor creaks when you walk on it!

We are full timers and have lived in this jewel for six months now and also pulled it across the US!
Old 11-03-2017, 11:13 AM   #8
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Riff, with all do respect most of the things you mentioned could have been fixed my you. I certainly would drive to the dealer for some lighting problems but I just might be me. Complete Firefly failure might have me going back to a dealer but if they could just ship it to me, that would have worked. Since I haven’t ever used the firefly at the couch, i wouldn’t know if it works or not. What 4 steps away....window work great in 2 position? They lame gorgeous after market wondow handle at Vintage Trailer that do not interfere with the blinds, just a thought.
Yup, sounds like you had some minor adjustments that need to be addressed but nothing that would have made the trailer unsafe or unable to use.
Complete Alde failure would/could have sent most of us back to a dealer but with the help here on the forum that trip wasn’t necessary.
I love my 2017 Classic, flaws and all. If it had been prefect right off the line I wouldn’t learned all the cool things I have learned in the past year. She said in hindsight.....lol

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:20 AM   #9
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Tex....call Jackson Center and talk to John. He can probably get you all the information you might need for your 2016. I haven’t seen very many 2016 Classic owners on the forum needing help so that must have been a good year. That was the last of the pre-Alde Classic so you are already way ahead on heating and hot water problems. Again, Give Jackson Center a call.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:36 AM   #10
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Storage under the middle section of the sofa is only big enough to store about 12x12x12 in my unit. It depends on where the sub woofer is placed. Do be careful about stuffing things under there that might interfere with the recliner mechanism....as Uncle Bob would say...I have data on this.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:39 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffgod1000 View Post
Here’s some advice don’t buy one unless your close to a Airstream dealer!
We have a 2017 Classic that has been a nightmare trying to get help with inoperable systems.
We’re hundreds of miles from a dealer and no help.
Good luck, your gonna need it!
There is dealer in ftmyers.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:25 PM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

A good sense of adventure is helpful when owning an AS Buyers remorse is not your friend in this case (or any other).

If the guy had never seen the drawers under the dinette, I'd bet he missed some much more important things as well. Storage is a pretty basic thing on a trailer. It's a sell point, everybody asks about it.

I would at least download the manuals for the trailer from AS. They aren't perfect by any stretch of the imagination. They are way better than nothing at all. Read through them. Next, download the manufacturer's manuals on the appliances and gizmos (like the jack). At least do a quick read of each. Have them in some form that you can carry with you.

Make sure you have things like the crank for the jack and the stuff for the awning. Understand how the water, LP, and electrical systems operate. Play with the heating / cooling controls before you desperately need them. Understand how the tank dump process works (and have the gear to do it) *before* you need to dump a 100% full tank.

Hitches, towing and tow vehicles are a sub-topic all by themselves. What is involved there depends very much on what you have. Dig into that separately. Safety wise, it's higher on the list than the stuff above ...

Indeed this sounds a bit daunting. It really isn't. It's no different than buying any new house . There are a variety of systems and you need to keep them running. You will run into questions, this forum is great for answering those questions.

Get out and have fun !!!

Bob
Old 11-08-2017, 03:55 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Midlothian , Texas
HI ALL - thanks for your kind responses - we changed our minds and decided to buy a new FC instead - we were thinking of the new classic but hubby doesn't understand the change in the heat system so we are likely going with the FC - hope to see you out there on the road!!
TexasMarci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:14 PM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Sitting here with it in the 40's and raining .... the Aide heat is *great*. We would not be here right now if the heat pump was the "heat source".

Bob
Old 11-09-2017, 02:26 AM   #15
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Oh no. I am so sorry to hear you changed your mind about the Classic only because on the Alde system. Yes, at the beginning there were some obstacles to over come but all those problems have been resolved. The Alde system is superior to traditional forced air systems, much, Much quieter, more efficient, maintains temperature evenly throughout the cabin, has less parts therefore less the break. The only problems occurred during setup and after that it is a dream to use. I would beg you to reconsider the Classic if your only concern was the heating system.

Old 11-09-2017, 05:27 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMarci View Post
HI ALL - thanks for your kind responses - we changed our minds and decided to buy a new FC instead - we were thinking of the new classic but hubby doesn't understand the change in the heat system so we are likely going with the FC - hope to see you out there on the road!!
Congratulations on your decision. I can only add we have had four Airstream trailers over the years, three previous ones with the gas furnace and heat pumps (which we never used for heat in any of our 14 RVs) and now the 2017 Classic. The Alde is a great system, used for years in Europe and in the US by other manufacturers. It's not complicated, but if not functioning properly can be a challenge to get serviced. We enjoy the system and have used it extensively with no issues (after initial set up).

Enjoy your FC, I know we really liked our FCs and our many miles of travel with them.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:16 AM   #17
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One of the interesting things to watch here (or on any forum) is the process of doing things for the first time. There are some classic comedy routines about putting on shoes and socks. Dig into *all* the details of any process and it can seem pretty crazy. Toss in all the miss steps and dead ends (as you do in a forum) and it will go on and on and on. Sorting out the real issues (Firefly on the 2018 pre-November) from the operator / maintenance issues (Aide on the 2017) can be pretty tough.

Bob
Old 11-10-2017, 04:53 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cape Coral , Florida
Hello,
Just received the sofa firefly switch today (called them after talking to AS tech).
Also have the bathroom fan motor on the way from AS(again after calling the tech).
It is a challenge being far from a dealer but you can fix and repair your Classic by yourself without taking into the dealership for warranty work.
AS is more than helpful to get you the parts needed.

I’ve fixed all the lights and the good people replaced the awning rafters(I have to put them on).

Thanks for all the help from everyone in the forum for great tips and tricks!

Riffgod100O
Old 11-10-2017, 07:31 PM   #19
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Sitting here with it in the low 30's outside and the high 70's inside. The Aide isn't struggling at all to get that done. Having it nice and warm *and* dead silent ... great !!!!

Bob