Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2017, 09:02 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Bothell , Washington
Heating a 2017/ 2018 Classic

We are full time in a 2016 International Serenity 30’.

Ok, last night it got down to 22F. The furnace works well and runs a lot at those temperatures, even with thermostat set to 58. Furnance is not the quietest sounding and gulps propane.

Unfortunately, we seem to be in colder nights more than I expected.

I’m aware of the Alde system in the newer Classics. I’ve read the Alde thread through and through.

My questions.

Are you happing with the Alde for even heating in the Airstream?
Warm and comfortable down to what degrees ?
Energy efficiency with and without 50A hookups?

Tired to being cold at night. Thanks

Chuck
charlesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I suggest a good space heater to supplement your furnace....there are a number of threads here in those.

I like the one that looks like a small fireplace.

Maggie
Old 12-16-2017, 09:50 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cave Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesk View Post

Ok, last night it got down to 22F. The furnace works well and runs a lot at those temperatures, even with thermostat set to 58. Furnance is not the quietest sounding and gulps propane.

I’m aware of the Alde system in the newer Classics. I’ve read the Alde thread through and through.

My questions.

Chuck

We have the 2017 classic w/Alde - super quiet and gets VERY evenly. Coldest we had was 25 last winter and it kept the trailer warm
Pete B55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:33 PM   #4
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I have a 2017 Classic and love the Alde system. My initial introduction was a bit rough but no problems since bug got worked out. I have been in temps in the teens with no problems but I always have two small ceramic heaters as back up.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:42 PM   #5
2018 Classic 33

2018 33' Classic
Kennard , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Slipsstream
I have a 2018 Classic 33 and have been very happy with the Alde heating system. The interior is very evenly heated and works well on propane or electric or both. It’s noted that on electric it’s not as efficient in colder temperatures as on propane. To save propane I have a couple of supplemental heaters. A small one (Lasko) in the bathroom (only use when taking a shower and helps eliminate excess moisture) and a Dyson Pure Hot + Cool in the bedroom.
Slipsstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:19 PM   #6
VSM

2018 33' Classic
Knoxville , Tennessee
Quote:

My questions.

Chuck

We have a 2017 Classic and agree with the others that we stay nice and toasty. I love the evenness of the temperature throughout the unit. No noise either.
Vickitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:26 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Lumberton , Mississippi
Send a message via ICQ to Lyman
Have 2017 Classic the system works great even heat anyplace in trailer. When using it on electric you can put it up high as will go (86) and if temp drops to about 30 outside you will get around 61 inside no more. Then you go to gas works fine heats above 70. However have found on the classic your heat pump will also work down to 30 outside. So when get up on cold day put that on. Old heat pumps shut down around 35. I have used mine as low as 28 and put out heat. Believe you would need the new Dometic air conditioner for the heat pump.
Lyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:08 AM   #8
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Chuck, are you considering a retro fit Adle or some other radiant heating systems? That would be pretty big project to tackle, IMO, but doable I guess. I had radiant heat in a house and I loved it a well. Very quiet, very efficient even heating. Love it in the Airstream for the same reasons.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:14 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Use the tires.........

Move to some place 75 degrees.

We use ceramic/electric space heaters to cut back on propane use.

When it is really cold outside, open the cabinet doors to spread the heat around and prevent plumbing freezing.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:18 AM   #10
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:

My questions.

Chuck

Looks like you’re on AS #2?

The only genuine improvements to an AS the past half-century is ducted AC and now this Alde system.

As you are full-time, maybe you’ll consider a third AS. I wouldn’t normally recommend to do so, but the two changes are night & day as to comfort and quiet, and fulltimers are the ones best poised to benefit.

There are quite a few options that are nothing but gimmicks (power awnings). Not worth trading for or retrofitting. Others, such as solar, are probably best left to experts, not the factory.

These two comprising the HVAC system are best done when new. Properly designed. Factor in a dehumidifier as well. Lexan interior storm windows. Custom vinyl skirting.

For planning, cover all climate “extremes” that you’re willing to tackle, both hot and cold. By “extremes” I mean those that don’t quite run us out of the TT, but that require constant air temp alteration.

If it’s extensive, I’d say the majority of the decision is covered as to practicality. TT performance will be considerably better.

I’ve backed off in just replacing the furnace in mine. There’s work around that location needing to be done. Thus I may upsize, and add the rvcomfortsystems CheapHeat system to the furnace blower manifold so I can replicate the propane performance while on 50A service.

Space heaters are okay (especially the Dyson), but they do nothing to heat the tanks and are a strain on the electrical wiring when in constant use.

I may add one to two catalytic heaters as well.

But just as I need to add a second roof air, all of it would be better if (as above) better design and systems giving better performance were there at the start. I’ll have options on both propane or electric meaning I can do it all on either source, or a combination of both.

It would be far nicer to simply adjust a control.

Good luck

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:28 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
I have a 2016 Classic so I unfortunately missed out on the Alde radiant heat. So I installed electric radiant heat. Silent, I use no propane even down to the teens.

One thing people forget is sealing DRAFTS. All the heat in the world isn't going to matter much if you don't seal draft locations. And the Airstream has a ton of them. All around the belt-line and belly of these things are holes/gaps everywhere that must bed tended to. I've spent dozens of hours on mine sealing draft locations.

People always think insulation and heat source are the most significant items for cold weather, but it is actually stopping the movement of air.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:34 AM   #12
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
We did low teens with the Alde, about 5% LPG tank per day and electric, space heater supplement when awake.

The 18s came with upgrades, but not sure about improvement. I've yet to hear the Alde Flow works for mo' betta hot water duration.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:37 AM   #13
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post

People always think insulation and heat source are the most significant items for cold weather, but it is actually stopping the movement of air.
Concur, infiltration is more significant than insulation. But, still need some air exchange, just not flowing rivulets.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:15 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Yahoo to Kyet
Question? 2x now my Alde has stopped working in middle of the night. The fridge stays on but the heat goes away. We were parking lot boondocking last night and at 4am I had to call an emergency meeting with all of the pups to get under the covers so we could all get warm (it was about 37 degrees in the trailer at that point). Tried the turning the system back on and it did not work. Now I woke up 2 hours later and it turned right on. Trialer was nice and comfy for breakfast before we hit the road. It's the intermittent stuff that's the hardest to narrow down.
Kyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:13 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ojai , CA
Send a message via ICQ to SilverPal2
Have 2017 Classic and love the Alde system, quiet, even heat
Accredited Appraisal Firm www.PolkAssociates-LLC.com
SilverPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:09 AM   #16
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
KY, I am not sure about why your system is not working intermittently, But, somewhere down the Alde menu options (the little wrench symbol) is an icon for the timer. When I was still working out the bugs I had a few nights that the Alde would just stop. In the middle of the night is not my best time to try and find a fix so I gave up and went back to bed. The next morning everything was working fine. Drove me crazy for a couple of weeks until I figured out that the timer function was on and was set to turn off every Sunday at 1:00am and restart at 4:00am. Who knew. So please make sure your have all preset timer functions OFF. Just a thought.
I know this was off topic and I should have posted in the Much Ado thread but this is were the question was asked.

Old 12-17-2017, 11:22 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:

My questions.

Chuck
...move...or look at an artic fox, they have better insulation
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:08 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Gretna , Nebraska
Electric blanket is precious when hooked to shore power.

Ours does not work on generator power.

Also use space heater and catalytic heater when appropriate. Only use furnace when not sleeping.

‘05 Classic
16595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 02:31 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Dixon , California
Heating 2017

I must totally agree. We’ve had our 2017 classic bout 1 1/2 year. Only part timers, but I tell overs about how well the radiant heat system works. I set desired temp (alde system) when it’s cold outside, use heat pumps warn trailer initially. Turn pumps off when warm. Trailer warm all night just alde normally electric. Have noticed get error condition if propane turned off. Love power Arwning, heated towel rack, and other 2017 features. This our first trailer period.
AndyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 03:57 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Birch Bay , Washington
Chuck, we have a 2018 Classic and have been happy with the Alde system in cold weather (down to the teens), but we did experience a learning curve...specifically, when we were in temperatures below where the heat pumps would come on and we were depending solely on the Alde, we found we needed to set the thermostat at around 76 to obtain temps in the mid 60s. We have the system set to use both electric and/or gas and I've not attempted on gas alone, except to maintain a minimal level of heat (50 degrees) while transiting between locations. It does use a fair amount of gas, however, it is minimal compared to that consumed by friends we were traveling with who were in a Bambi and using gas for their furnace.

Mike
mdaley21 is offline   Reply With Quote