Old 09-11-2019, 11:12 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

I found this string fascinating. We are planning on downsizing (again!) from our 37’ Newmar to a 30’ Classic. This will be our 4th time stepping down in space and convenience. Originally, this motorhome was our last step. We chose a DP because of our motorcycle. Not wanting to lose space with a toy hauler, we needed the stronger chassis to install a lift. Now, after 3+ years of traveling, we realize we worry about the motorcycle more than we ride it. We’re now “old hat” at downsizing. We do A LOT of research. This Forum is great! I’m so glad I found you guys. This is what I know... I will miss my fireplace, the washer and dryer and the counter space we have here. I’m working on the storage issue (anyone know the dimensions of the closet in the 30’ Classic?). I can get by with the limited counter space and will probably purchase a portable washing machine. Storage might be our biggest issue... That said, we will have a truck instead of a Kia Soul. We’re looking forward to simplifying and being able to get into slightly smaller sites. Thanks for being here!

PamK53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:54 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cedar Hill , Texas
We’re going from a 34 DP to a 33 Classic. We looked at the 30 Classic but decided we wanted the extra space on the 33. Also decided on twins beds for both outside and inside storage space. Waiting for trailer to arrive.

no_worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:15 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Traverse City , Michigan
We moved from a 42’ MH to a 30’ Classic. Yep, miss my W/D and fireplace. I have an Instant Pot with a CrispLid that we travel with under the dinette. It isn’t in the way and it’s invaluable in the small kitchen. (I use it on a cutting board on the stove top using the stove vent when the steam is releasing.). I have to admit I use 3/4 of the closet but my husband folds most of his clothes in the cupboard. I discovered I was carrying too many clothes, even for 4 1/2 months in FL. Necessities work fine. The lack of stress about all the working parts of the MH make us love the AS more. Downsizing was good for us. By the way, we decided to sell our motorcycles too. Too many crazy drivers still texting etc. More stress reduction.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:07 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMKovalchik View Post
We moved from a 42’ MH to a 30’ Classic. Yep, miss my W/D and fireplace. I have an Instant Pot with a CrispLid that we travel with under the dinette. It isn’t in the way and it’s invaluable in the small kitchen. (I use it on a cutting board on the stove top using the stove vent when the steam is releasing.). I have to admit I use 3/4 of the closet but my husband folds most of his clothes in the cupboard. I discovered I was carrying too many clothes, even for 4 1/2 months in FL. Necessities work fine. The lack of stress about all the working parts of the MH make us love the AS more. Downsizing was good for us. By the way, we decided to sell our motorcycles too. Too many crazy drivers still texting etc. More stress reduction.

Thanks! More validation! I’m still looking for 2 dimensions as I plan out where my stuff will go. Could you tell me the dimensions of that center closet? And with the footrest out, the distance from the sofa to the back of the dinette? Also, what year do.you own and did you go with the queen or the twin beds? Again, thanks for responding? - Pam K
Old 09-13-2019, 05:47 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Traverse City , Michigan
We have a 2018 Classic with a queen bed. We considered twins but like the floor plan with the queen and we have a 52 lb Portuguese Water Dog who informed us early on that he would share his bed with us. Didn’t want to try to share in a twin. There’s good storage under the night stands. We keep his feeding station in the space between the dinette and couch. No problem putting the footrest out. It stops right at the station so I would think there’s maybe 12”-14” between the two. We don’t plan to use the dinette as a bed so removed those cushions from the couch arms and picked up two large storage areas. That’s where we keep paper towels, toilet paper, extra napkins etc The closet is probably 4’ wide maybe. I picked up some of the cupboard racks that are organizers and that gives us two levels on the closet floor for shoes or whatever. The floor of the closet is deep. We keep heavy jackets, dog supplies etc in the back.
We’ve had the trailer two seasons and I’m still organizing and reorganizing. ��
Good luck. You’ll love your AS and the simplicity.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:41 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
We have a 2018 Classic with a queen bed. We considered twins but like the floor plan with the queen and we have a 52 lb Portuguese Water Dog who informed us early on that he would share his bed with us. Didn’t want to try to share in a twin. There’s good storage under the night stands. We keep his feeding station in the space between the dinette and couch. No problem putting the footrest out. It stops right at the station so I would think there’s maybe 12”-14” between the two. We don’t plan to use the dinette as a bed so removed those cushions from the couch arms and picked up two large storage areas. That’s where we keep paper towels, toilet paper, extra napkins etc The closet is probably 4’ wide maybe. I picked up some of the cupboard racks that are organizers and that gives us two levels on the closet floor for shoes or whatever. The floor of the closet is deep. We keep heavy jackets, dog supplies etc in the back.

Thanks! We have 2 storage ottomans that are 15x15. I’m wondering if a Sofa table would fit there that the ottomans could go under.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:53 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamK53 View Post
Thanks! We have 2 storage ottomans that are 15x15. I’m wondering if a Sofa table would fit there that the ottomans could go under.

I am not at my trailer, but we have put a bookcase backed up to the dinette. We built it with reclaimed wood and pavers and it sits on stair thread covers. I would say they are more like 12”. This is where we store shoes that we throw on to go outside. So my husband’s size 11 shoes fit under the shelf. There is room for the footrests to come out with some to spare. I just don’t know if there is exactly 15 inches.
ajwbarnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 06:04 AM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
Quote:
Thanks! More validation! I’m still looking for 2 dimensions as I plan out where my stuff will go. Could you tell me the dimensions of that center closet? And with the footrest out, the distance from the sofa to the back of the dinette? Also, what year do.you own and did you go with the queen or the twin beds? Again, thanks for responding? - Pam K

We added an Elfa Drawer system to our closet on one side. It measures 15" x 23" x 42" h and fits perfectly in one half of the closet. It is the best storage improvement we made. So the closet openings are approximately double that size, with a little more room in the middle and back and on the right side where it extends a couple of inches to the right of the door.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:16 AM   #49
2 Rivet Member

Going from DP to AS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwbarnard View Post
We added an Elfa Drawer system to our closet on one side. It measures 15" x 23" x 42" h and fits perfectly in one half of the closet. It is the best storage improvement we made. So the closet openings are approximately double that size, with a little more room in the middle and back and on the right side where it extends a couple of inches to the right of the door.

Thanks! Most helpful response so far! I love The Container Store. We installed one of these in our MH. Is the 15” dimension the width or depth?
Old 09-14-2019, 09:38 AM   #50
2 Rivet Member

Quote:

One more question. I don’t understand “removed cushions from couch arms”... were would these be? Do you have the 30’ trailer? Thanks!
Old 09-14-2019, 02:55 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
Quote:
Thanks! Most helpful response so far! I love The Container Store. We installed one of these in our MH. Is the 15” dimension the width or depth?

The 15 inches is the width. The drawers are smaller about 14” and fit through the opening of the closet door. It made the closet so much useful.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:00 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
Quote:
One more question. I don’t understand “removed cushions from couch arms”... were would these be? Do you have the 30’ trailer? Thanks!

The cushions that make the dinette into a bed are supposedly meant to store in the arms of the couch. They are not easy to get into that space and there are sharp things in there to scratch the leather. I have never put them there. I have stored my zipdee chairs in there and all our manuals. We store the cushions in the back of the closet.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:06 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
The 15 inches is the width. The drawers are smaller about 14” and fit through the opening of the closet door. It made the closet so much useful.

Found it on The Container Store website! Thank You!
Old 09-14-2019, 07:07 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
The cushions that make the dinette into a bed are supposedly meant to store in the arms of the couch. They are not easy to get into that space and there are sharp things in there to scratch the leather. I have never put them there. I have stored my zipdee chairs in there and all our manuals. We store the cushions in the back of the closet.

Huh... interesting. I’ll have to check that out. Sounds like a great solution!
Old 10-28-2019, 08:07 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Manhattan , Kansas
I was the OP and we went from a Discovery 40 Diesel Pusher to Airstream 33FB and regretted the move. We ended up going back to 40 Foot Newmar Ventana Diesel Pusher model 4037. This was an expensive year but we are both happier with the Class A. Great group of people and regret leaving this forum but it is time to move on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0041 (1).jpg
Views:	12
Size:	634.4 KB
ID:	355193   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0028.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	374.5 KB
ID:	355194  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2120.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	355195  
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 01:05 PM   #56
1 Rivet Member

non-disclosed , Louisiana
Happy to have found this forum/club and recently enrolled as a new member. We're also members of the IRV2.org, and other affiliated forums.

Reason for coming here (re: Airstream Trailer Club) is in line with this thread topic of moving from a DP to an AS, with that we're in the same boat;

Retired in mid-2016, and in Sep-16 purchased outright (in cash) our 1st ever and brand new 2017 45' DP, next to top of the line (2nd tier from top), 600HP Cummins, Steerable Tag axle, 1-1/2 baths, king bed, 12kw Genset, hell the works. Hit the road and for the first 17 months, put in more than 25k miles and covered more than 30 states, on average we were out anywhere between 3-8 months from our stick & brick home base. Great times...uh, excluding the warranty repairs, production manufacturing faults, the repeated break-downs, and the time taking it back and forth to the dealer (as well as the Orig. manufacturer for major works). After this continued to repeat itself beyond any level of acceptance, we engaged in discussions with our dealer and the manufacturer (prior to actually claiming lemon law and hiring an attorney), the result being (and surprisingly), the manufacturer offered us our choice of a brand new 2019 model of the same make/model we had to include the same exact options "at no cost to us", straight swap and they picked up the sales tax differences and handled all registration, etc. again at no cost to us. Great folks, but unfortunately, the end of this story gets worse as within the first 130 days of ownership of the new coach it itself manifested that same (key) issue we had encountered with the previous 2017 coach. In our first 130 days of ownership of the new 2019 coach, it was back at the manufacturer for corrective actions and repairs 100 days, so when they returned it to us in Feb. of this year, we placed it up for sale by consignment with our Dealer and it sold within 30 days. Fortunately, we ended up selling a 2019 coach with less than 4k miles and getting the greater majority of our money out of it (vs. had we been selling a '17 which would have then likely had more than 40k miles on it and a long-long list of repairs with it.).

SO, why are we here (in the AIR FORUM), we're missing the RV lifestyle immensely but are opposed to getting back into a motorized version and really like the appeal of the Airstream (principally due to its long standing product history, the following it enjoys from the enthusiast that own them (many of which are present here in this forum) and as others have stated, far less moving parts to break, fault or deal with all together.

Sorry for getting so lengthy in the above message but I thought doing so serves to communicate why we're here as we want to both learn about the AS product, lifestyle, and take advice from others, i.e. do's and don'ts. Next up is to commence shopping in the form of looking at both new and pre-owned in the larger frame sizes, i.e. 30-33 ft.

ps - please do reply or PM me asking for info on our previous DP(s), i.e. Brand/Make/Model or Dealer info. Our Dealer was great and the Manf. "did do the right thing" at the end of it all.
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:59 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Canyon Country , California
My parents has a huge RV but do not know the details. I seriously would not call the move from MH RV to AS "downsizing" or "downgrading". I would simple call the move "upgrading". Sure the maintenance would be lotta cheaper and far fewer compared to DP RVs. You may feel losing a few feet "downsizing" but it is simplify in travel. Moneywise in general as well.

2017 M16 Bambi
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:16 AM   #58
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
Happy to have found this forum/club and recently enrolled as a new member. We're also members of the IRV2.org, and other affiliated forums.

Reason for coming here (re: Airstream Trailer Club) is in line with this thread topic of moving from a DP to an AS, with that we're in the same boat;

Retired in mid-2016, and in Sep-16 purchased outright (in cash) our 1st ever and brand new 2017 45' DP, next to top of the line (2nd tier from top), 600HP Cummins, Steerable Tag axle, 1-1/2 baths, king bed, 12kw Genset, hell the works. Hit the road and for the first 17 months, put in more than 25k miles and covered more than 30 states, on average we were out anywhere between 3-8 months from our stick & brick home base. Great times...uh, excluding the warranty repairs, production manufacturing faults, the repeated break-downs, and the time taking it back and forth to the dealer (as well as the Orig. manufacturer for major works). After this continued to repeat itself beyond any level of acceptance, we engaged in discussions with our dealer and the manufacturer (prior to actually claiming lemon law and hiring an attorney), the result being (and surprisingly), the manufacturer offered us our choice of a brand new 2019 model of the same make/model we had to include the same exact options "at no cost to us", straight swap and they picked up the sales tax differences and handled all registration, etc. again at no cost to us. Great folks, but unfortunately, the end of this story gets worse as within the first 130 days of ownership of the new coach it itself manifested that same (key) issue we had encountered with the previous 2017 coach. In our first 130 days of ownership of the new 2019 coach, it was back at the manufacturer for corrective actions and repairs 100 days, so when they returned it to us in Feb. of this year, we placed it up for sale by consignment with our Dealer and it sold within 30 days. Fortunately, we ended up selling a 2019 coach with less than 4k miles and getting the greater majority of our money out of it (vs. had we been selling a '17 which would have then likely had more than 40k miles on it and a long-long list of repairs with it.).

SO, why are we here (in the AIR FORUM), we're missing the RV lifestyle immensely but are opposed to getting back into a motorized version and really like the appeal of the Airstream (principally due to its long standing product history, the following it enjoys from the enthusiast that own them (many of which are present here in this forum) and as others have stated, far less moving parts to break, fault or deal with all together.

Sorry for getting so lengthy in the above message but I thought doing so serves to communicate why we're here as we want to both learn about the AS product, lifestyle, and take advice from others, i.e. do's and don'ts. Next up is to commence shopping in the form of looking at both new and pre-owned in the larger frame sizes, i.e. 30-33 ft.

ps - please do reply or PM me asking for info on our previous DP(s), i.e. Brand/Make/Model or Dealer info. Our Dealer was great and the Manf. "did do the right thing" at the end of it all.

I can offer you real our real-time experience. We’ve been full-timers for almost 4 years. On Saturday we moved out of our 37’ Newmar Ventana and into a brand new 2019 27’ Globetrotter. The series of events were rather sudden and we are a bit stunned. Husband has had a few melt-downs .

We had been talking about getting out of the MH for a few months. We had an Indian motorcycle that we carried on a lift. We realized we spent more time worrying about it than riding it. It was suffering some damage and it was difficult to keep it properly maintained on the road. Once we decided to sell the bike, our options opened up. We’ve been fascinated by Airstreams for awhile. We were originally looking at the 30’ Classic. The fit, finish and floor plan are all quite nice. In the end we decided the extra $40k wasn’t worth it if we come off the road next year and only travel part time.

We drove into the fabulous NIRVC facility in Las Vegas a week ago last Thursday to simply get our rig washed. They are a Newmar dealer. Out of curiosity we asked them what they would offer to by it. The price was decent, so we popped down the road to Airstream Las Vegas, made an offer on the last 2019 27’ Globetrotter they had, we found a local Indian Motorcycle dealer, sold the bike and here we are.

It took us 4 days to get settled. We are essentially creating what my old boss used to call a “blivet”, 10lbs of (stuff) in a 5lb bag. This is the 4th time we’ve downsized, so we’re old hands at letting things go. We need to purchase a truck. We’re learning the systems. We only have a few things to either give away or sell in the parks yard sale next month.

We’ve made a few “operator error” mistakes that involved one panic phone call to the dealer. The biggest change is probably dealing with a tiny fridge. We had an all-electric rig with a full-size residential fridge. Other than that, patience and planning and learning to dance around each other in the narrower walk way. It’s a beautiful product. The friend who towed us to our winter location said it pulled beautifully. We would highly recommend the BlueOx Weight Distribution Hitch. Our dealer threw it in with the deal.

Husband has started to breathe normally again. The cat no longer seems to hate us and I cooked our first dinner last night. We’re happy with our decision and looking forward to continuing our adventures in the spring.

Hope this helped!
Feel free to PM me with questions.
PamK
Old 10-31-2019, 10:31 AM   #59
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Having done both the class A thing (back in the 70's) and an AS (these days) there are issues with both of them. There are advantages to each as well. I would never suggest somebody go from one to the other on the assumption "there will be no problems". Indeed, splitting part of the issues off into "tow vehicle issues" puts them in a different forum. You still are stuck someplace ....

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:06 AM   #60
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
I was the OP and we went from a Discovery 40 Diesel Pusher to Airstream 33FB and regretted the move. We ended up going back to 40 Foot Newmar Ventana Diesel Pusher model 4037. This was an expensive year but we are both happier with the Class A. Great group of people and regret leaving this forum but it is time to move on.
I wonder if this is CWSWine's Airstream? Early in the intro he describes it as traded in because the owner wanted to go back to DP.