Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-23-2018, 04:50 AM   #121
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Well, that didn't last long. The wifi has failed again. Direct ethernet connection works fine. So the modem has got to be bad or the settings AS is using just plain don't work. The modem/router is not accessible by me. AS has locked it up so I cannot look at the router settings. I kind of ask Jason for the password and user, but he's not going there. I can see why they want to keep it under their control. It just makes it so crazy not being able to reset this thing.

I will be calling later today to talk with him about this new finding.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:59 AM   #122
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Hmmmm ..... I have a tough time with the idea that I'm locked out of a device I paid money for. I'm also not at all surprised that the cellular end of the system gets up to the vicinity of 50 Mb/s. That makes a *lot* more sense than something below 20. At least that gets it into the range of the typical lower cost devices AT&T resells.

Depending on how they have the "downstairs" part of the system set up, it may be re-using scarce resources to get its job done. One wonders why they didn't just run a Cat-5 cable up to the roof. It seems like a no-brainer if the alternative is half speed operation.

====

We haven't made it over to Big Bend yet. Looking at the hurricane forecast, I'm not real sure I'd want to be heading that way right now ..... We drove through the post landfall part of Michael and it was not a barrel of laughs ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:00 PM   #123
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Jason and I found the issue. The modem has a cellular component and also a wifi component. When the wifi (to receive campground wifi) is on, it severely restricts the speed of the cellular. Jason was able to recreate the symptoms on his system in his office. It is not a hardware flaw, but something in the software. Jason has contacted the manufacturer and they have also recreated this. They are now trying to fix it with a firmware update.

What that means is that ALL Classic 2019 are affected.

Jason shut down the wifi receiver and the modem performs great. At one point I was getting 27 down and 19 up. Jason said the antenna they are using performs very well with an Airstream and the roof acts as a ground plane. Their tests surprised them on how well it worked. Just don't hook to the local campground wifi!

After tomorrow we will be in Big bend TX and away from any cell service. Jason said it just might surprise you! We will see!

Tom & Doty
Old 10-24-2018, 07:48 AM   #124
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Ok, that's what I sort of expected. The modem is a typical cell <-> WiFi gizmo and the stuff indoors just does WiFi. Based on what I've seen of campground WiFi setups ... just turn that part off I have yet to find one that delivered as good performance as my cellular modem.

It still sounds like your 27 down numbers aren't quite back to the 47 down you saw with a wired connection to the modem. If those results are consistent, they *really* should put in a piece of wire !!!

Have fun at Big Bend and send us a report !!

Bob
Old 10-24-2018, 08:55 AM   #125
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Kansas City , Missouri
A word from a Big Bend fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
After tomorrow we will be in Big bend TX and away from any cell service. Jason said it just might surprise you! We will see!

Having been an avid Big Bend afincado since my first canoe trip through Santa Elena and Mariscal canyons in the pre-cell phone days of early 1978, I have to say that cutting off the electronic ball and chain is one of the chief attractions of that wonderful place. Although I could tell you where in Big Bend you can go to get a signal (certain hilltops), I hesitate to do so, even though you can easily find them out.

If you ever get the chance to canoe the lower canyons, an 83 mile stretch of solitude puncuated with brief stretches of adrenaline-producing whitewater between the put-in at La Linda and and the take-out at Dryden, do it. The camp spots along the way border on the spiritual, in the broadest sense of the word.

I took my wife, who had never been there before, down to Big Bend for some hiking in the Chisos Basin last February. We had been to Italy the previous October. I was a little unsure if she would have the same view of Big Bend long held by me. After spending the first day there she said she liked it better than Italy.

As for creature comforts, be sure to stop off at the Gage Hotel in Marathon north of the park for some fine West Texas dining.
Slats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:05 PM   #126
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Thanks, Slats for the review. I can't wait! Anthony Bourdain did a show in Marfa and Marithon. Pretty much West Texas alright!

A new twist on the modem. It stopped working when we set up camp in Sonora TX. Back to the old low download numbers. My iphone by itself is getting 47 down and 24 up. AS modem was getting 1.02 down and 5.5 up.

Talked with Jason and I believe we have two problems. The original one with the campground wifi ability, and then this one which is a bad modem (we think!). He's making arrangements to get me a new modem.

Jason believes the wifi radio in my modem is intermittingly bad. I have to agree. The wired connection is solid as a rock and very fast.

I have a few pictures to post, but I'm waiting for my phone to send them to the cloud. AS modem issues!!

Tom & Doty
Old 10-29-2018, 03:01 PM   #127
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
We spent 3 days in Big Bend and one in Marfa tx. Pretty much no cell service in Big Bend. We set up camp in an RV park called Tumble Inn. Right by the railroad tracks and not much to speak of. Park was infested with Goat weed that made our dog Maddie afraid to walk on the grass. The poor dog really struggled with the bathroom thing . I had previously bought a room at the St. George Inn to surprise my wife so we (including Maddie) had our first night away from the AS since we bought it. We ate at the Hotel Pasano (quite famous - look it up) and had a great evening.

We are now in the parking lot of a Cabela's in El Paso Texas. Wifi is working but still having the freezes with service. You just wait a bit and it starts working again. Puzzling.

Tom & Doty
Old 10-30-2018, 08:39 AM   #128
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Sounds a lot like the system is going into some sort of a fail / reboot cycle. If so that should be fixable with a firmware update at some future point.

Bob
Old 10-30-2018, 08:52 PM   #129
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Sounds a lot like the system is going into some sort of a fail / reboot cycle. If so that should be fixable with a firmware update at some future point.

Bob
The modem company is working on it. AS has a problem. Today I tried to fly my drone. I could not get the software to download the maps for this area. Modem failed again. It seems like any strenuous download causes it to just plain fail. I will be talking to Jason tomorrow to see what he has found out. It doesn't look like he's solved it or he would have downloaded the fix to me.

Tom & Doty
Old 10-30-2018, 09:08 PM   #130
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Here is an image of the campground we are at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Arizona camp.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	503.7 KB
ID:	326700  

Tom & Doty
Old 10-30-2018, 10:54 PM   #131
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Found out today when hooked to a 20 amp circuit that you have to change your Alde panel from priority electric to priority propane. Could not get hot water out of a "1" setting for electric when priority electric is selected. Propane did not come on.

I also got a "fan error" when set like this.

Priority propane worked fine.

Tom & Doty
Old 10-31-2018, 08:19 AM   #132
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Update on 2019 Classic wifi / smart control

I talked to Jason today and the smart modem in the Airstream has a manufacturing issue with their software. He said the problem stems from the Wifi as WAN scan. It is used to connect to an outside wifi source like a campground wifi. Even though we can disconnect the feature, the firmware is still seeing or using part of this feature. It causes problems with slow cell feeds and wifi connectivity. As in not stable.

Manufacturer Peplink is working on the issue but has not given Airstream a date for completion.

So I guess we wait. It has been about a week since the problem was discovered so an update should be coming soon I would think. It should be noted that all 2019 Classics are affected. The symptoms are a great connection at first then connection slows to a crawl or worse, just plain disconnects. Happens mostly while playing a video or with high data rates. Does not show up during bandwidth tests, but can be measured by the test after a video stops running. Frustrating as the internet will seem usable for long periods, but then just gets congested and quits.

This does not seem to affect the smart control. Since the smart control seems to use very little data, it seems to work fine in the trailer or when you are accessing the trailer from another location. Yes, you can put your awning in.

Tom & Doty
Old 11-01-2018, 08:08 AM   #133
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Umm ... errr ... on an older Classic, firing up the Alde on electric with a 15A connection trips the breaker feeding the trailer. I ... ummm ... have data on this....

====

Sounds like the modem is getting pushed to do a bit more in this application than it typically gets asked to do. The info on their web site suggests they are more focused on industrial applications that would not use this kind of feature. Let's hope it's just a firmware bug and not a resource issue. I've ... errr .... run into / created both in the past. Some took a redesign / board swap to fix.

Bob
Old 11-01-2018, 10:45 AM   #134
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Umm ... errr ... on an older Classic, firing up the Alde on electric with a 15A connection trips the breaker feeding the trailer. I ... ummm ... have data on this....

Bob
Yep. Was told the Alde will run on setting 1 for 30 amp and 2 for 50 amp. Setting it to propane priority let's the Alde heat the trailer on 110v 15 amp.

Tom & Doty
Old 11-04-2018, 07:18 AM   #135
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Yep. Was told the Alde will run on setting 1 for 30 amp and 2 for 50 amp. Setting it to propane priority let's the Alde heat the trailer on 110v 15 amp.
Hi

If you get into a situation where it really does get cold, the propane side puts out *way* more heat than the electric side of the Alde. You very much want to have the propane enabled in that case. It's also a good idea to have at least one full propane bottle .... You can go through quite a bit in a couple of days.

Bob
Old 11-09-2018, 07:52 PM   #136
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I heard from Jason today. Software for modem should be completed before the end of the month. The manufacturer is working on a fix for the wifi.

Today I noticed that the issue remains. WiFi slows to a crawl when you start streaming a video. Most everything else works fine.

Tom & Doty
Old 11-09-2018, 08:01 PM   #137
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Several new issues raised their head over the last few days. First is an issue with the front driver's side tinted curved plastic panel. It developed a stress crack. Talked to AS and they agree. They will be replacing it as soon as I get to a dealer.

The second issue is the subwoofer. It is not working. I may have mentioned this earlier, but it still persists. I looked through all the wire feeds to the Polk audio, but there is no wire marked "subwoofer". I did find a grey wire that is not hooked up. I have no idea what connector it came from.

Lastly, our floor has developed a sag right in front of the convection oven. It was not there originally. It is where you stand to prepare food. It is outside the lower tanks and probably will have to be braced. I will have to wait for jackson center for this one!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	crack 2.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	327444  

Tom & Doty
Old 11-10-2018, 08:31 AM   #138
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
So I thought I might check if there was a leak under the cabinet holding the convection oven. That could account for the soft floor.

I removed the lower drawer from the cabinet. There are two red levers on either side of the drawer underside. You squeeze these to release the front and pull up and out.

I found spare flooring material on the floor inside the cabinet and the inverter. I could lift the flooring material from the rear of the cabinet and could see a very dry floor! At least that is not the issue.

Putting the drawer back was another story. I used a mirror laying on the floor to see the drawer mechanism. The second inner rail has to pull out almost to the end of the cabinet front. The rear of the cabinet has to go in first as there are small holes that a rear tab fits in to hold the back of the cabinet down. You then have to concentrate on pulling the inner rail forward to get it to click into the front lock. Took me more than a few times and some choice words before I finally got it. Just make sure the drawer back in held by the rear tabs so it can't lift.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Drawer out of cab sm.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	327456   Click image for larger version

Name:	Under convection oven.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	327457  

Tom & Doty
Old 11-10-2018, 08:54 AM   #139
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Quote:
So I thought I might check if there was a leak under the cabinet holding the convection oven. That could account for the soft floor.

I removed the lower drawer from the cabinet. There are two red levers on either side of the drawer underside. You squeeze these to release the front and pull up and out.

I found spare flooring material on the floor inside the cabinet and the inverter. I could lift the flooring material from the rear of the cabinet and could see a very dry floor! At least that is not the issue.

Putting the drawer back was another story. I used a mirror laying on the floor to see the drawer mechanism. The second inner rail has to pull out almost to the end of the cabinet front. The rear of the cabinet has to go in first as there are small holes that a rear tab fits in to hold the back of the cabinet down. You then have to concentrate on pulling the inner rail forward to get it to click into the front lock. Took me more than a few times and some choice words before I finally got it. Just make sure the drawer back in held by the rear tabs so it can't lift.

Lol. You’re not the first person ever to struggle with that same drawer! Welcome to the club. You’re officially official [emoji12]

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:04 AM   #140
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The "soft" in the floor is related to just how far down you have the power stabilizers. If you watch as you drop them, you can actually see the bumper on the trailer rise. That "bend" in the trailer impacts the floor.

There is a secret to that magical drawer and for a fee (paid in Bitcoins of course .. ) it can be revealed .....

The trick is far to stupid to be on the sort list of things to try.

1) Push the two runners back into the tracks ( = so they aren't sticking out)

2) Carefully line the drawer up so it goes in straight

3) Push the drawer back into the cabinet

4) Pull it out again to be sure it has latched, if not, cycle it again

No muss, no fuss, it goes "click" when it when it gets to the back of the cabinet. Totally stupid / easy. Yes it took me more than a few tries to work this out .... The only real gotcha is getting the drawer crooked when you try to put it back.

Bob