Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2018, 07:20 AM   #101
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
We arrived in Kemeth Texas (near Houston) last night. The cell signal here is incredible!

AS signal, not so much.

If I turn off wifi on my iPhone and run speedtest with the phone In the trailer I get 84.1 MB down and 14.8 up. That is fast! So this is the internet speed not using the AS.

Now, if I log into the AS wifi produced by the modem/router I get 1.47 Mb down and .24 up. Not so good. And you can tell there are pauses and interruptions to the App as it tries to function. During upload it will sometimes fail. I also noticed that it will not work with my VPN app but that's another issue!.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:10 AM   #102
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
We arrived in Kemeth Texas (near Houston) last night. The cell signal here is incredible!

AS signal, not so much.

If I turn off wifi on my iPhone and run speedtest with the phone In the trailer I get 84.1 MB down and 14.8 up. That is fast! So this is the internet speed not using the AS.

Now, if I log into the AS wifi produced by the modem/router I get 1.47 Mb down and .24 up. Not so good. And you can tell there are pauses and interruptions to the App as it tries to function. During upload it will sometimes fail. I also noticed that it will not work with my VPN app but that's another issue!.
Hi

The AT&T modem I have installed in my Airstream ( NOT the AS package device) gets speeds similar to what you are seeing on your phone. So, some of their modems work pretty well. Can you "go around" the integration stuff and hit the modem directly? That would let you see if it is the modem ( = the beast is broken) or something further down the line. I can think of a lot of things that could be bottlenecks ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:04 AM   #103
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I spent about an hour on the phone with AS. They believe it is a hardware problem. I should receive today a new wifi/cell antenna in the mail. They believe this is the problem.

The cell antenna for the 2019 Classic is located front top in front of the fantastic fan. It is a flat white box. It receives the cell signal and transmits it to the modem/router in the front upper cabinet. Surprisingly there is no internal antenna. The outside antenna is also the transmitting antenna for the coach. I ask why they would do that and was told test showed an internal antenna was not needed and it performs very well with the external one. It also gives you outside access to the signal. My antenna is performing as well as an outside antenna that is disconnected. AS tested removing the antenna and it seemed to mimic what mine is doing. The leads are connected to the back of the modem, but it may be cut somewhere else.

AS told me what I should expect from the system in the location I am at right now. They explained that the high data rates (94 down right now) from my iPhone X is because it is a cat12 device. It is using 3 signals at one time and is very efficient at speed. In this cell tower environment, I should be getting with the AS modem about 15-17 down and 10-12 up. Best case. That is still very good but does not hold a candle to the iPhone speeds.

Speedtest shows this kind of speeds “sometimes” but fails miserably at staying connected. It won’t let me log into the forums. That leads me to believe it is the modem and not the antenna. We will find out today.

AS assured me they will solve my problem. They have not said to me “We have not seen this with other trailers”. I believe this is that they have not heard this problem and not that it is not going on. AS could only say that their test trailer performed very well and better than expected in sparse cell areas. They tested north of Jackson center at a few campgrounds.

I’m working with Jason from Dallas and he is the program manager. Jason is very knowledgeable and can access my modem from his location. He can change settings in the modem but cannot run speed tests on it. He experimented with different power settings thinking that too much power can interfere with the broadcast signal. That did not change things.

Well, later today I will be hooking up the new antenna run out the door to test.

Tom & Doty
Old 10-20-2018, 08:47 AM   #104
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
If the modem can only make it to 10 or 20 Mb/s that's very much a low end modem in today's market. AT&T has a number of much faster devices they will sell you for not a lot of money. It is true that once you get out into the sticks, it really doesn't make much difference. All you are going to see is the slower speed levels, simply due to a weak cell signal.

Bob
Old 10-20-2018, 11:50 AM   #105
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
It looks like an industrial strength modem to do just what AS wanted, control the trailer. It has two Simms one that acts as a local link to Czone control. The other is for the ATT account.

Looks like top speed is 20mb/sec with encryption which is decent. Here is a link to the product.

https://www.peplink.com/products/max...lular/#br1mini

https://youtu.be/sKZVdTrjiX4

Watch the video. Industrial strength.

Tom & Doty
Old 10-20-2018, 11:52 AM   #106
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
AS sent the antenna - - wait for it - - - wait for it - - - Next business day. It will be arriving just after I leave on Monday.

UPS says by 10:30 am. I can stay till 11:00 and then I'm gone. Not real happy about this.

Tom & Doty
Old 10-20-2018, 11:55 AM   #107
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I'm gonna search the AS box of goodies to see if they gave me the stubby antennas for the pepwave. That may add some functionality.

Tom & Doty
Old 10-20-2018, 12:23 PM   #108
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

But you aren't running encryption when you are web surfing are you? It should hit 40 Mb/s in normal use. Put another way, whatever encryption there is on an HTTPS is done ahead of the speed measurement ..... The encryption number on the modem should only apply to the auto VPN side of things.

I'm guessing the box is a Max BR1 IP67 from your description. There are a *lot* of different models on that web site.

Of course they may be doing the nutty "add up all the bitstreams thing" so that 20 up + 20 down = 40. The term "throughput" normally does not mean that though ....

From the specs on the box, I'd bet it does all the cellular stuff up on the roof and then talks WiFi to the gear down in the trailer via a non-advertised SSID.

The guy in the YouTube video *really* wants to sell you that box doesn't he ...

Bob
Old 10-20-2018, 02:30 PM   #109
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
My hdmi switch in the upper cabinet (above right of the tv) is acting up. It will work for a while, then the picture for my satellite will start to flicker and breakup. The switch splits the signal from the sat (or blu-ray) to the two tv's. It stopped working this morning and then I tore everything apart to find one side not functioning at all. There are orange lights to signify if the signal is going to 1 or 2 tvs. The light on my main tv was out. I swapped out the HDMI cable and no go. If I ran the sat directly to TV it worked. Not the tv. Shut power to switch off and on and it finally worked.

Just got back from grocery store and sat was flickering on tv. It's not a connection problem. I think the splitter is bad.

Tom & Doty
Old 10-20-2018, 05:23 PM   #110
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Cincinnati , Ohio
Love the magnetic spice jars. Where did you get the hex shaped jars?
Herm and Debby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:21 PM   #111
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herm and Debby View Post
Love the magnetic spice jars. Where did you get the hex shaped jars?
Here is the link:

https://www.specialtybottle.com/glas...on/3-75oz-hex3

You also need to buy the earth magnets. Get them here:

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=B642

You need 6 of these magnets per bottle. Don't go less than this. Put them inside the lids.

Tom & Doty
Old 10-20-2018, 09:06 PM   #112
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
We are leaving for San Astin tx on Monday. I need to get to Mesa arizona eventually to meet a friend. Any help with a route that is scenic or practical would be appreciated. We have 10 or so days to get there so we need some help with a route.

Let me know!

Tom & Doty
Old 10-21-2018, 08:37 AM   #113
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Google maps seems to have a bit of trouble finding San Astin (or San Austin) Texas ...

Natchez MS is sort of on the way and it's a pretty place to visit.

If Austin is what's on the list, there are some nice campgrounds in the Georgetown area that are dirt cheap if you have one of the Senior Pass deals that the National Parks sell.

Bob
Old 10-21-2018, 08:50 AM   #114
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Google maps seems to have a bit of trouble finding San Astin (or San Austin) Texas ...

Natchez MS is sort of on the way and it's a pretty place to visit.

If Austin is what's on the list, there are some nice campgrounds in the Georgetown area that are dirt cheap if you have one of the Senior Pass deals that the National Parks sell.

Bob
Bad edit on my part. Originally wrote San Antonio. Austin, Texas is the route! I will look for those campgrounds.

Tom & Doty
Old 10-22-2018, 07:29 AM   #115
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I just booked a site at Cedar breaks park in the Georgetown area. Looks like very large sites and on the shore of a lake.

$12 / night! Thanks for the tip Bob!

Tom & Doty
Old 10-22-2018, 07:30 AM   #116
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Just turned on the Alde heater this morning. It is 59 degrees here in Texas and the system is warming up the trailer pretty fast. Previously we tested the heating while it was 91 degrees out in Florida. Didn't want to leave it on too long in those temps.

The dealer original told me to leave one of the Alde system settings to "continuous". That is not right. It should be set to "therm" or thermostat so that it can come on and off as needed. I love the way the heat is distributed up the sides of the trailer. It's quiet and evenly distributed. Sitting here on the sofa, the heat is rising up the back of the sofa and shields you from the large rear window.

I haven't talked about it before, but the large covered window panels that only the Classic has offers a lot of insulation to the trailer. Number one, you're never touching bare metal on the sides and two, it really helps to insulate the inside of the trailer. With the ability to close the window shades you add to that insulating and there just is not a "cold spot" in the trailer. It is definitely a plus.

Tom & Doty
Old 10-22-2018, 07:39 AM   #117
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
I just booked a site at Cedar breaks park in the Georgetown area. Looks like very large sites and on the shore of a lake.

$12 / night! Thanks for the tip Bob!
Hi

The two near town are both pretty nice. When we were there the slightly closer one was a bit more crowded. The one out by Sun City had a lot of empty sites. Both seem to be well run and well cared for. Some sites are a bit more level than others. None looked so bad you could not cope. In the rain they do get puddles here and there ....

Bob
Old 10-22-2018, 07:44 AM   #118
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Just turned on the Alde heater this morning. It is 59 degrees here in Texas and the system is warming up the trailer pretty fast. Previously we tested the heating while it was 91 degrees out in Florida. Didn't want to leave it on too long in those temps.

The dealer original told me to leave one of the Alde system settings to "continuous". That is not right. .....
Hi

After you have run the Alde for a while, check the fluid level in the tank in the bathroom. Also check the purge valves for air. It's very common to find you need a bottle of Alde fluid after the first shake rattle and roll trip gets the air out of the system.

The "continuous" setting is what you use to try to get all the air out of the system. It sort of works, but it (and the higher speed setting on the pump) are not what you use long term. ( = pump should be at 3 rather than at 5 if it's like the 2017 pump).

Bob
Old 10-22-2018, 05:47 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I will check tomorrow after a night of running the heater. I bought a bottle of Alde fluid at the dealer before we left. It may need to be topped off.

We now are staying two days here as our reservation at Big Bend got changed by one day later. I can't wait for big bend. Any comments?

Tom & Doty
Old 10-22-2018, 08:18 PM   #120
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Well, the wifi issue may be resolved.

Jason sent me another antenna to try and I hooked it up and ran the wired out the door and propped it up on the top of the front window shields. It failed also with the same results.

Yesterday I stopped at fry's electronics and picked up a USB to ethernet adapter and a 10-foot ethernet cable.

After messing with the new antenna I suggested to Jason we test the direct connect using the adapter. It worked flawlessly and in fact was twice as fast as Jason's expectations he gave me. 46 down and 27 up!

Here is where it gets good. I went back to the AS wifi and guess what? It was working. It was about half the speed as it does act as a bridge.

So what fixed it? There must have been a logic puke in the system that generated a freeze. By going to the wired connection, it must have cloeared the issue. It is working right now as I type.

So! The real secret is to direct connect to the system for almost twice the speed. Great for uploading video and pictures.

Let's see how long this stays working!

Tom & Doty