Old 10-08-2018, 03:26 PM   #57
AirDreamer

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

You have some extra time (thanks to the storm ...). Take a day off !!!

Bob
We were going to leave on Monday, changed that to tuesday and now we will head north on Wednesday. Not too far up and maybe just a boondock stop at Walmart or Cabelas.

Just added my Tire monitors and programmed the computer with the limits. I also topped up the tire pressures although the AS dealer had them pretty close to where I wanted them (76 lbs). I will torque the lugs tomorrow.

We are sitting back for the rest of the day and making a meal. Will have a few well deserved cold ones as we listen to the rain on the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	meal-.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	324739  

***Support Airstream Forum***
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:51 AM   #58
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

We spent a lot of time early getting everything in the "right" place. That lasted for *maybe* two weeks. The next pass (and the ones after that) lasted for a bit longer. I'm *sure* I have it right now ....

Bob

uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:11 AM   #59
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Rockwood , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
We were going to leave on Monday, changed that to tuesday and now we will head north on Wednesday. Not too far up and maybe just a boondock stop at Walmart or Cabelas.

Just added my Tire monitors and programmed the computer with the limits. I also topped up the tire pressures although the AS dealer had them pretty close to where I wanted them (76 lbs). I will torque the lugs tomorrow.

We are sitting back for the rest of the day and making a meal. Will have a few well deserved cold ones as we listen to the rain on the roof.
Sounds like you have the commissioning process well under way! Seems like this process has gone very well! Hoping to get a confirmed build date this week on ours. Following your process closely. Enjoy!
Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:43 PM   #60
AirDreamer

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
We finally got clearance for a flight to Gainesville Florida. We will be leaving for our first real pull with the Ford F250 diesel.

Everything is stowed and ready for liftoff.

We had a very good experience overall with our dealer and certainly our salesman Bruce Miller. We had dinner tonight with Bruce, his wife Milinda and another couple who just picked up their 25' serenity. Jim and mim.

Had a few beers and sad goodbyes.

We have a short flight to North Port to visit my wife's brother and then it's off to Gainesville. We are concerned that there is little fuel to cross the panhandle of Florida, so we will pick up a few 5-gallon diesel containers to add to the 28 gallon Ford tank. Our flight path takes us directly thru the path of the huricane. We will take some picture as we pass.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:03 PM   #61
AirDreamer

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Today I added double magnet closers to the upper cabinets. They seemed not to close very tightly. I just want to make sure I don't have any surprises with cabinet doors opening during flight.

We also added a new paper towel holder to the bottom of the upper galley cabinet.

The mattresses in the new Classics are very very nice. We added a foam topper to our last trailers mattress. Not needed at all with 2019. The twins also have a motorized feature to raise the head of the bed. Very nice!

The sofa in the front of the trailer is quite comfortable. It lacks a headrest but still is comfortable enough to fall asleep in! It was the main reason we went with the Classic. The USB chargers on each arm are being used all the time and the AC outlets placed on the outside wall in front of each arm are perfect for charging the laptop. Nice design.

The Czone system so far is flawless. Everything is run by it. Takes a little getting used to it as every light is controlled by the push button panels or touchscreen. It does work well.

The floor covering material is great! Does not show the dirt and easily cleaned with our dysan. My wife loves it.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:06 AM   #62
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I think you will find that there is a screw adjustment on the closers for the upper cabinets. Mine close fine so I've never fiddled with it.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:13 AM   #63
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Rockwood , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Today I added double magnet closers to the upper cabinets. They seemed not to close very tightly. I just want to make sure I don't have any surprises with cabinet doors opening during flight.

We also added a new paper towel holder to the bottom of the upper galley cabinet.

The mattresses in the new Classics are very very nice. We added a foam topper to our last trailers mattress. Not needed at all with 2019. The twins also have a motorized feature to raise the head of the bed. Very nice!

The sofa in the front of the trailer is quite comfortable. It lacks a headrest but still is comfortable enough to fall asleep in! It was the main reason we went with the Classic. The USB chargers on each arm are being used all the time and the AC outlets placed on the outside wall in front of each arm are perfect for charging the laptop. Nice design.

The Czone system so far is flawless. Everything is run by it. Takes a little getting used to it as every light is controlled by the push button panels or touchscreen. It does work well.

The floor covering material is great! Does not show the dirt and easily cleaned with our dysan. My wife loves it.
Turk
That is great news so far on the czone system and the generally seemless operation of that system. Safe travels and keep us posted!
Old 10-11-2018, 09:01 PM   #64
AirDreamer

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Today we traveled 200 miles north to Grand lake campgrounds. I felt the trailer bouncing a little bit so I tightened up on the swaybar tension. That caused a sway condition that I was NOT comfortable with. I moved two of my tool boxes and socket set out of the rear compartment and into the front of the trailer. I also backed off on the tension of the hitch to put more tongue weight on the hitch. The weight helped but the trailer was still bouncing.

I tightened up on the tension again about half of the tension before and I think I have found the sweet spot. It pulled well without sway but I think I have to go one hole up on the stinger hitch point. Trailer is a little low in the front.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:21 PM   #65
AirDreamer

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Let me be clear. When I say sway i mean a nasty uncontrollable sway. It begins with a gust of crosswind and builds as you drive. I quickely speed up and pinch the brake controller to stop it.

I was told the Classic 30 will tow very similar to my old 27'er. Not so. It is much heavier and you do feel it. The trailer has a big feel. Not unpleasant, but not a stealth trailer. Pulling into a plaza we struggled to keep in an open area we could turn around. We felt a bit trapped.

I will get used to it, but make those sandwiches to pack for your lunch as trying to negotiate a McDonalds on the road may take more than an hour as you get yourself into tight spots. You can burn loads of time looking for a turnaround after missing a turn.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:13 AM   #66
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Rockwood , Maine
Turk, Did you have the same 250 Ford diesel when towing your 27 foot?
Old 10-14-2018, 12:35 PM   #67
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Rockwood , Maine
Arrow

While patiently waiting for the new Classic to come in I have been assembling the rear truck bed attachments that we will try with the Tow vehicle. The new items include the Pace Edwards roll up cover system, with Yakima storage basket and bike racks. I did not want to go to the rear mounted bike rack again, so figured we would try this system. Hoping it will work out fine.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A9A846C3-46AF-4FD9-BCFF-45E6E7A16AEA.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	325179   Click image for larger version

Name:	199F3BB6-4447-49B7-A710-7CC03010241A.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	325180  

Name:	DA37D517-9B21-43B6-8339-31F4B942B39A.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	325181  
Old 10-14-2018, 06:25 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
That bike rack looks like its very close to the rear glass. The front bike wheel will hit the glass.

I chose America
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:12 AM   #69
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Rockwood , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigventure View Post
That bike rack looks like its very close to the rear glass. The front bike wheel will hit the glass.

Yes, BV, you are right, I actually have not put the bikes on yet, I will need to slide the Yakima towers back in the tracks about 8 to 12 to clear the back window😉. The adjustments on the combination seems to be very accommodating.

But as we all know, I need to get out and use this set up in the real world lol.😁
Old 10-15-2018, 07:13 AM   #70
AirDreamer

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiac View Post
Turk, Did you have the same 250 Ford diesel when towing your 27 foot?
Sorry for not posting earlier. My account here would not let me log in. I thought it was my internet connection but looks like my account got screwed up.

I've done several things to improve the towing. I took apart my hitch stinger and came up one hole raising the stinger. I then added 2 washers to the stinger to point it down about 5-6 degrees. That brought the trailer to the exact level it needed to be. It is dead on level. Pointing the stinger down a bit gives you more adjustment on the leveling bars on a propride hitch.

I also increased my rear tires from the "door sticker" 65 psi to 72 psi. That helped firm up the towing.

I also did three weighs at the cat scales to determine tongue weight and effects of the weight distribution bars.

A call to Sean at Propride about the sway and we were able to go over the numbers and come up with a solution. He wanted me to move up from the 5" spacing on the towers to 6 1/2" adding more weight distribution to the whole setup. When have you ever called a company that the President is also the tech support guy? I respect the fact that Sean pays that much attention to servicing his clientele even on a Sunday afternoon!

All of these things worked. The trailer is pulling much better. Sean said that the Classic 30 is probably the "loosest" feeling trailer in the AS line as the tail end hangs quite a bit off the back of the axels. When going into a turn I have the feeling that the trailer is correcting itself and does a 10 point turn. Sean explained that a ProPride projects the ball radius to a point near the rear axle on the tow vehicle. The main head of the propride can swivel left and right and adjusts as it goes around the turn. It does not sway, but feels a bit like it.

I'm getting more and more comfortable with the length of the trailer and have to admit, we have taken a few side trips off the highway only to find out the gas station was not going to work for us. Food stops are also a challenge, but I think our lifestyle needs some changes in the area of food stops. It is so much more productive and cheaper to make your own lunches and or snacks for the road. Saves so much more time!

We just went thru the area that the hurricane hit here in Florida. Trees were cut off at the 10-15' mark. Debrie everywhere. Truck stops had fuel lines and businesses closed. I will get a video up in a few days.

I also want to talk about the Modem internet connection in the Classic. It is based on a bridge system and will never be able to connect to a campground internet system. It's there for backup over the hotspot, but not what I expected. This system will not replace your Weboost. It is not cell boosted but only an external antenna to the inside. I have a Weboost that we had to use most of the time in the area we were in.

Now in Alabama on a way to New Orleans today.