Old 12-02-2018, 10:10 AM   #183
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Indeed they seem to be fiddling with the projectors in the 33' Classics. How it's working out is a bit unclear. They spent a year fiddling with other the sub-systems in the 2017 and 2018 Classics before they really got the bugs out of them.

The key factor in the system you have seems to be the ability to mount part of it outdoors. That is a bit unusual for a hotspot. Most of them simply aren't going to work that way. Putting an antenna on a long piece of coax (to mount the hotspot indoors) also creates issues. (= it gets deaf).

The "normal" way to do this seems to be hard wiring the data connection from the roof into the RV. That makes the aftermarket install more complex. I can see why they would go with an RF connection if they could. Running wires behind the walls of a finished RV is not easy.

Bob

uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:57 AM   #184
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Indeed they seem to be fiddling with the projectors in the 33' Classics. How it's working out is a bit unclear. They spent a year fiddling with other the sub-systems in the 2017 and 2018 Classics before they really got the bugs out of them.

The key factor in the system you have seems to be the ability to mount part of it outdoors. That is a bit unusual for a hotspot. Most of them simply aren't going to work that way. Putting an antenna on a long piece of coax (to mount the hotspot indoors) also creates issues. (= it gets deaf).

The "normal" way to do this seems to be hard wiring the data connection from the roof into the RV. That makes the aftermarket install more complex. I can see why they would go with an RF connection if they could. Running wires behind the walls of a finished RV is not easy.

Bob
Watching this thread on the Wifi signal and installation with interest. But just couldn't contain myself anymore on the TV projector in the 33':

Installing a projector in the 33' seems pretty out dated to me..I understand the design challenges since they want to use that nice couch/lounge and also include the desk area, but really...a projector for 4-5' distance to the screen is "forgive me" not what I would do! I think "86" the desk for storage drawers and design in a 40" Ultra LED flat screen which drops into the current desk area like some others have done in SOB's. Oh, and maybe install a TV "mount" outside under the awning also, for those days/evenings you may want to sit outside to watch the big game or movie with friends!

Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:59 AM   #185
AirDreamer

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I have to agree on the projector. It probably didn't come from the design group at AS, but from one of the executives who thought it would be a great way to bring the new full-size classic back into the modern world. Unfortunately, newer technology out-stepped the design and it actually set the classic backward in time.

It really is not that enjoyable to watch at that distance and from the kitchen where I would be making my wonderful pasta sauce, I can't even see the screen.

I don't want to drive this discussion in this direction any further as the moderator may think it inappropriate, but a good comment on your part and one a reason why we chose the Classic 30 over the 33 and one reason why the 33's sit longer on dealer's lots.

***Support Airstream Forum***
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 05:01 PM   #186
AirDreamer

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
We have a new firmware for the modem! I personally don't have it yet, but soon. It is being tested again. Let's hope this one actually works!

This has been a frustrating experience. I purchased a new Google home hub for the trailer and during the installation process, the internet was so bad (as in drops) that I could not install the hub. Kept losing the internet.

Let's hope this new version is better than the last one that actually made it worse.

Old 12-04-2018, 01:26 AM   #187
AirDreamer

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
AS is using the Blue solar MTTP 100/35 controller. It has a port on it that the Victron round solar gauge plugs into. The gauge is mounted just behind the stove on the wall.

Have you ever tried to read that gauge? They've used every symbol possible to make descriptors on the panel and the button presses to get to the information is just about impossible. I ordered the Victron dongle.

It plugs in where the gauge plugs in so effectively, the gauge will no longer work. I'm good with that. The dongle sends the information via Bluetooth to your phone. It's fast and much much more readable with included graphs for output over 30 days. Love it! $49.00 and it just plugs in. I recommend you take out the three screws holding the controller to the floor of the cabinet so you can turn it around to remove the one line and add the dongle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	page 1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	329096   Click image for larger version

Name:	page 2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	329097  

Old 12-04-2018, 08:22 AM   #188
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

When I did our conversion to Victron gear, I went straight to the MPPT series with Bluetooth built in. None of the reports on the gauge dongle were positive. The phone app tells you everything you need to know and then some ....

Bob
Old 12-05-2018, 12:53 AM   #189
AirDreamer

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Just received the new update for the AS hotspot. Failed miserably.

Can't keep a youtube video running. Freezes after about a minute. Laptop seems to work better than the phone. Don't know why that would be. Speedtest fails after the youtube video freezes.

This is not working out at all. I am getting very frustrated that a company who has been making modems/routers for a long time, can't even get one of their products to stay connected to the internet. Seriously flawed!!

Why AS is still putting up with this is beyond me.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:16 PM   #190
AirDreamer

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
After settling down and lowering my blood pressure, I worked with Jason all morning. The Pepwave modem is having a hard time negotiation new devices we think. The Pepwave is supposed to handle 60 devices. It can handle one. Add another and it fails.

I shut everything off and my phone seemed to work. Add a few Chromecasts and it all blows up. Add a google hub, IPad, wifes phone, wife's tablet, my laptop and forget it.

My ATT hot spot has no problems.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:23 PM   #191
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
The Villages , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Watching this thread on the Wifi signal and installation with interest. But just couldn't contain myself anymore on the TV projector in the 33':

Installing a projector in the 33' seems pretty out dated to me..I understand the design challenges since they want to use that nice couch/lounge and also include the desk area, but really...a projector for 4-5' distance to the screen is "forgive me" not what I would do! I think "86" the desk for storage drawers and design in a 40" Ultra LED flat screen which drops into the current desk area like some others have done in SOB's.
....."Yes".....I so agree !!

Having a 40" Ultra LED Flat Screen TV, mounted on a 'televator' that recesses down inside the former desk area, would have been great and made use of current technology, rather than taking several steps backward, with this projection TV (??).

Newmar makes great use of Televators in some of their Class A's.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:56 AM   #192
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Turk, there have been at least 4 other ‘19 that have been picked up and are being used. Are you all talking to each other? When the Alde rolled out back in December of ‘16 a lot of us were having issues, AS and Alde were not helpful at that time but did improved after a couple of months, The owners shared information and had real field data on what was happening instead of what AS and Alde said or thought should be working. Some dealers had the system working perfectly right off the bat, other dealers were as clueless as we were. I have read that there is at least one other ‘19 is not having any issues at all. His Czone is working great and able to connect to the internet without any problems so if you can find out why his is working and yours isn’t it may help solve the problem. If the tech can access the one that’s working and figure out what is different with yours you may find it’s something really simple. One crossed wire or one wire that wasn’t connected at all could be why yours isn’t working. If the other 4 or 5 2019 Classics are all working perfectly then it’s just a problem with yours. It’s can’t hurt to compare.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:34 AM   #193
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
After settling down and lowering my blood pressure, I worked with Jason all morning. The Pepwave modem is having a hard time negotiation new devices we think. The Pepwave is supposed to handle 60 devices. It can handle one. Add another and it fails.

I shut everything off and my phone seemed to work. Add a few Chromecasts and it all blows up. Add a google hub, IPad, wifes phone, wife's tablet, my laptop and forget it.

My ATT hot spot has no problems.
Hi

Welcome to the wonderful world of debugging firmware .

I think I'd bet about a case of beer (up from my usual bet of half a bottle) that after the "fun" with the Firefly rollout about 99.9% of the debug / testing effort went onto the CZone part of the system. This gizmo got the other 0.1% of the available bandwidth.

Given the number of routers / switches / firewalls / phones and cable modems that have had issues over the years, the Pepwave thing is hardly unique. If you just randomly pick out one of these beasts, the odds are very much on the side of it having issues.

My biggest concern here is that the device is simply out of resources. If it does not have enough RAM or CPU to get the job done, fixing that in firmware ... not so much. It's also possible that it has an internal RF issue between the cell modem and the WiFI. Again, not going to fix that in firmware.

Since the boxes are aimed at volume OEM users, one very much wonders how these people have stayed in business. The answer may be that the "big guys" who use them tack one and only one device onto them. ( one Pepwave to one ATM machine ...).

Testing this sort of thing is not always as simple as it might seem. The guys I used to work with had major money invested in their test sites. Tons of gear, many hundreds of modems, and may weeks of evaluation of each update. Even then they spent a *lot* of time chasing issues.

Lots of fun !!!!

Bob
Old 12-06-2018, 10:03 AM   #194
AirDreamer

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
The Czone system works perfectly. No problems at all. It is run on a second sim in the router and being text based, has very little data being sent back and forth. I can see where most owners would say there hotspot is working but actually mean their Czone smart technology is working. The internal wifi is something else and runs on another sim.

That said, the first time an owner hooks up to the wifi, it will appear to work. it is only after stressing the system with 5 or 6 devices and streaming video does it fail. That manufacturer created the product for outdoor kiosks and mobile vehicle reporting and what seems a good fit for AS. An industrial modem, but as bob says, it may have been too specific.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:04 PM   #195
1 Rivet Member

Scottsdale , Arizona
Is there an ethernet port on the access point? If it can handle one device just fine and the issue is multiple devices, you might be able to double NAT your setup by plugging in a separate wireless router to your airstreams hardware.

Then connect to the new router and that router will connect all devices to the internet as the only client.

Obviously itís better if airstream can fix it. But in the mean time this might be a work around. I should be getting our 33 classic by end of december, and if itís a problem for us we will be working to figure out a solution.
trepine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:19 PM   #196
AirDreamer

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Your right! that could be good way to test also.