Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2017, 03:40 PM   #101
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Marketing is like magic!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:02 PM   #102
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinMan View Post
Well, I gotta be honest with ya, I just left the factory after bein there since Sunday afternoon and it sure ain't the place I thought it would be.... It's real old. Ain't nothin in that place that's been updated in decades. Kinda feels like an old used car sales office. Papers everywhere, old musty smell, old signs, old counters with nobody at em. Cluttered ads for random ad-ons and accessories... a smattering of old pics in old frames. Most RV parks have nicer offices and stores. Pretty much every dealer I've been to is nicer.

Ain't much of a 'mothership' that's for sure.

The 'terraport' has sewer connections that are just holes in the ground with no fittings and 30amp breakers that trip just from runnin one ac. Not that I expect much from a factory but it's clear that updatin stuff or givin off a modern vibe ain't on the agenda.

It certainly made me wonder about airstream, cause if my factory was that outdated I wouldn't be openin it up to the public. There is no Airstream pride in the town of Jackson Center, which could really make good money off tourism if they tried. Ive been to plenty of factories that do better on that end.

If I worked there I think I'd be kinda sad.... sorry but that's what I saw!
Interesting perspective...I can picture it! It's funny, so many people post here, and especially on Facebook, about their visits to the factory comparing to a trip to the promised land, I often wonder if they are just so blinded by their love for everything Airstream, they miss seeing what they are actually looking at.

I look forward to seeing it myself at some point but I certainly have no interest in making a pilgrimage like it seems that many do.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:07 PM   #103
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Interesting perspective...I can picture it! It's funny, so many people post here, and especially on Facebook, about their visits to the factory comparing to a trip to the promised land, I often wonder if they are just so blinded by their love for everything Airstream, they miss seeing what they are actually looking at.

I look forward to seeing it myself at some point but I certainly have no interest in making a pilgrimage like it seems that many do.
This is just one opinion. Opinions are like.... belly buttons. (Almost) everyone has one.

Some people have had great experiences in their visits to Jackson Center. Others, not so much.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to expect 100% consistency in people's reactions to something. People are different. Come from different places, have had different experiences, and react differently.

Take whatever is said in an internet forum with a grain of salt. If we didn't, we'd all be driving F450s pulling 23' Airstreams. It's just the internet.

2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:13 PM   #104
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post

Sounds like a critique of the waiting room by someone who isn't familiar with manufacturing plants.

I thought it was awesome.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:17 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Well, I gotta be honest with ya, I just left the factory after bein there since Sunday afternoon and it sure ain't the place I thought it would be. It's real old. Ain't nothin in that place that's been updated in decades. Kinda feels like an old used car sales office. Papers everywhere, old musty smell, old signs, old counters with nobody at em. Cluttered ads for random ad-ons and accessories... a smattering of old pics in old frames. Most RV parks have nicer offices and stores. Pretty much every dealer I've been to is nicer.

Ain't much of a 'mothership' that's for sure.

The 'terraport' has sewer connections that are just holes in the ground with no fittings and 30amp breakers that trip just from runnin one ac. Not that I expect much from a factory but it's clear that updatin stuff or givin off a modern vibe ain't on the agenda.

It certainly made me wonder about airstream, cause if my factory was that outdated I wouldn't be openin it up to the public. There is no Airstream pride in the town of Jackson Center, which could really make good money off tourism if they tried. Ive been to plenty of factories that do better on that end.

If I worked there I think I'd be kinda sad.... sorry but that's what I saw!
Is this what you are referring to?

Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:18 PM   #106
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post

Take whatever is said in an internet forum with a grain of salt. If we didn't, we'd all be driving F450s pulling 23' Airstreams. It's just the internet.

Now you're just trying to start trouble with some of the members on here !
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:20 PM   #107
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
I ain't ever thought of myself as the internet.

But I agree we all got different expectations. I just feel like they could do a lot more with the place to benefit themselves, their customers and the surrounding area. Which might improve morale ya know. And maybe quality of work.

At least that's what I'd try to do if I owned it.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:28 PM   #108
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
Is this what you are referring to?

Ha! Yup. Except it was cleaned up in that pic, it was real cluttered when I was there. Much more than that! I will say I was just surprised, that's all. It ain't like a cute cool kinda retro thing, it's just old and kinda weird and not what I'd think the folks they are currently marketing to are expectin.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:24 AM   #109
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
Some people have had great experiences in their visits to Jackson Center. Others, not so much.
. . .
Please remind us, have you been to Jackson Center personally? I seem to recall that you went south from Colonial.

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:11 AM   #110
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Well, I gotta be honest with ya . . .
. . .
. . . sorry but that's what I saw!
Thanks for the recent eyes-wide-open posts.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:14 AM   #111
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
There is a Buffett song that goes something like - “some of my stories are true most are not”. Seems to fit some of the post here.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:26 AM   #112
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....:
Old 09-27-2017, 07:55 AM   #113
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Please remind us, have you been to Jackson Center personally? I seem to recall that you went south from Colonial.

Thanks,

Peter
No, I haven’t. What has that have to do with anything I posted?
Old 09-27-2017, 09:10 AM   #114
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Thanks for the recent eyes-wide-open posts.

No problem, Peter, I try to be honest about things. I have found most of my airstream experience to be very nice. I love comin home to it every night and every time I have had an issue, I have found nice folks to help me address it. It has been the most comfortable trailer I've ever had. But I worry that they're strugglin to keep up with the times and my visit to the factory really made that apparent to me.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:18 AM   #115
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
I have been to many U.S. factories and the Airstream factory is as good as many I have toured. Keep in mind this is a manufacturing and service facility and NOT a marketing unit. The sales and marketing is the reason they use independent dealers. Some are better than others but that is their job. As far as the services in the park area, I have had better and have had worse. The purpose is to have a place to stay for service, its not a campsite per say.
Pete
S/OS#88
white laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:00 AM   #116
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Right, but ain't a service facility a customer oriented business? And it ain't just some random service facility, it is the flagship, factory service facility... for a trailer that can cost over $100k and is marketed to an upscale, luxury crowd. And it is in the middle-of-nowhere, so they gotta expect that folks are makin a special trip for it.

But the reason I posted it in this thread was cause I think the outdated and sorta neglected feel of the place might be bleedin over into the product line and employee culture in some ways, leadin to factory quality control issues and such.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:20 AM   #117
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
No, I haven’t. What has that have to do with anything I posted?
Since you asked . . .

My guess -- based on your posts and enthusiasm for Airstreams in general, and yours in particular -- and your attention to detail and getting things right [IMO] -- is that your reaction to seeing in person what TravlinMan has described would be be similar to his . . .

. . . a bit of shock and outrage . . . if only muted a bit . . .

Old 09-27-2017, 11:23 AM   #118
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
. . . the outdated and sorta neglected feel of the place might be bleedin over into the product line and employee culture in some ways, leadin to factory quality control issues and such.
Can you spell B A S E C A M P ?

Folks, Airstream has a problem . . . and keeping the blinders on will just guaranty that the problem gets worse . . . IMO.

Da Nile is a wide river to cross!

PS -- Read through these BC threads and come across Da Nile!

Generic Issues: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...es-162632.html
Fridge Probs:http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...ne-169937.html
Fridge: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...ks-172603.html
Axle recall: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...ll-164157.html
Old 09-27-2017, 11:25 AM   #119
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Since you asked . . .

My guess -- based on your posts and enthusiasm for Airstreams in general, and yours in particular -- and your attention to detail and getting things right [IMO] -- is that your reaction to seeing what TravlinMan has described would be be similar to his . . .

. . . a bit of shock and outrage . . . if only muted a bit . . .

Like I said, that is one opinion. I have read other opinions that are 100% different. So which one should I react to?
Old 09-27-2017, 11:39 AM   #120
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
. . . whatever . . .

over and out