Old 11-16-2019, 05:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Drip drip drip

A drip under our trailer started last week. Upon looking into its origin it seems to be coming from the hot water heater (ground steams when water hits it). Iíve never noticed this before and wanted to throw it out to the group to see if there is something I can look at before potentially taking it in for service.

Itís a fairly consistent drip. I already drained the tank and reset the air pocket in there (I think I did it right)

Here is the tube that the water is coming from if anyone can help me identify potential problem or if this is just something I need to live with. Connects at the top and drains down out of the trailer at the bottom.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	309.4 KB
ID:	356377

BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 05:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
A drip under our trailer started last week. Upon looking into its origin it seems to be coming from the hot water heater (ground steams when water hits it). Iíve never noticed this before and wanted to throw it out to the group to see if there is something I can look at before potentially taking it in for service.

Itís a fairly consistent drip. I already drained the tank and reset the air pocket in there (I think I did it right)

Here is the tube that the water is coming from if anyone can help me identify potential problem or if this is just something I need to live with. Connects at the top and drains down out of the trailer at the bottom.

Attachment 356377
Is it coming from the fitting? Have you tried tightening the fitting?

Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 05:40 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
Quote:

Attachment 356377
It looks to me like some kind of a condensation drain, maybe from the refrigerator? They don't use that clear plastic tubing for any pressurized system that I am aware of.
rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 05:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Not coming from the fitting. The tube sends it out the bottom of the trailer. Iíve just never seen this much water come from the belly before. Itís not gushing water, itís just a very consistent drip.

This is either the Alde system or the Alde hot water heater. Considering our Alde heating isnít on, I figured itís the hot water heater.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
In the photo you can actually see the flow of water in the tube in the lower purple circle.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:38 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Itís an automatic check valve

According to Aldeís manual, itís an automatic check valve:
https://www.alde.us/documents/5/V-30...ct_3020_US.pdf

Perhaps itís blowing off some pressure? That would explain the hot water on the ground. Normal operation?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0CC7F59D-3966-4D9B-A584-0011420A2272.jpeg
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	356378  
WBCCI# 10258
2020 Retirement Plan
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:50 AM   #7
JDG
Riveted

2018 33' Classic
Charleston , West Virginia
I had same a similar problem (33 Classic) with dripping underneath the trailer right below the Alde and coming from the black drain tube (I think it was the black one but there is a red one as well). Spencer from Alde advised me to tap on the brass valve on top of the larger black hose you see in the picture. He advised sometimes something can get stuck in the valve not allowing it to close. If it stops it was just something blocking it. If it continues, which my drip eventually returned, that valve needs replaced. I had mine replaced by JC under warranty. Simple job and problem fixed.
JDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:55 AM   #8
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Nelson428
I had that issue and it was the pressure relief valve. After I opened and closed it a few times the Drip stopped.
AirForums # 66116
Nelson428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 03:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
My drip turned into a pretty consistent flow. Iíll make some phone calls tomorrow.
Old 11-23-2019, 04:39 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
I received the new valve from Airstream. I have a dumb question now....

How do I remove the old one?

Iíll call Alde direct if the forum canít assist here.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:14 AM   #11
JDG
Riveted

2018 33' Classic
I sent you a PM the other day but maybe it didnít get through. Clamp both sides of the large black tube (either side of the valve) off. You can buy a plier type tool at auto parts stores designed for this purpose. Suggest a towel or something underneath the valve to catch the fluid (small amount). Loosen the hose clamps that secure the hose to the valve. Disconnect the vent line on the top of the valve. Remove the old valve and replace with the new one. Reverse the process and top off Alde reservoir with Alde boiler fluid. You should be good to go.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:25 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
Well where the old one is attached in your picture thats 1/2 inch pex pipe with a crimp fitting, but I can't tell if there is a threaded adapater between the pipe and valve? Whats the end of the valve look like? If threaded then screw the old one off and the new on with channel lock pliers after putting a couple of wraps of teflon tape on the threads. If its a pex fitting it requires a special cutter to cut the old crimp off or simply cut the pex pipe just above the fitting and then you'll need a pex crinping tool and crimp ring to put it back on. --Frank
Equalizer Hitch
fran&frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 02:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Looks like the pex just plugs right in. If I cut the pex then I wonít have enough to connect as it currently sits. Seems silly if I need to run an entire new run of pex.

Name:	IMG_9325.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	356717
Old 11-23-2019, 02:36 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic

Name:	IMG_9466.jpg
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	356718

Ah, I looked again. So I need to remove the old clamp. The pex should slide off that white connector piece and then slide the new one in place after switching that connector piece?

Shouldnít have to cut pex but I will need to remove the clamp and have a couple new ones to go back on?
Old 11-23-2019, 02:47 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Attachment 356718

Ah, I looked again. So I need to remove the old clamp. The pex should slide off that white connector piece and then slide the new one in place after switching that connector piece?

Shouldnít have to cut pex but I will need to remove the clamp and have a couple new ones to go back on?

Yes. Exactly. That type PEX clamp requires a matching tool to crimp a new one back on. You can remove it with a sturdy set of diagonal cutters. Just cut off the bump flush with the rest of the clamp. It should darn near fall off with a little gentle persuasion. Be careful not to scar up the inside of the PEX.

Be sure the tool is calibrated. Mine has a light that comes ion when itís crimped enough. Got it from Loweís in the plumbing department.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 06:00 AM   #16
JDG
Riveted

2018 33' Classic
BigSxyWhtGuy
You are correct. Mine was the larger Brass valve which I believe is a pressure relief valve and it was leaking Alde Fluid not water. Sorry for the confusion. You mentioned lime deposits possibly causing the valve not to close. Did Alde or JC give any tips to prevent this problem? Like using a good water filter or any other preventative measures? Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:33 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDG View Post
BigSxyWhtGuy
You are correct. Mine was the larger Brass valve which I believe is a pressure relief valve and it was leaking Alde Fluid not water. Sorry for the confusion. You mentioned lime deposits possibly causing the valve not to close. Did Alde or JC give any tips to prevent this problem? Like using a good water filter or any other preventative measures? Thanks for sharing.

I just did google research on this. Iíll call Alde tomorrow. We use one of those blue hose filters for our rig but no active water softeners.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:18 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
The fitting on that valve may be designed to be released so the new one can just be slid back on, like a sharkbite fitting. Try pushing the valve back over ther red piece, and while holding the red piece into the valve, slidding it off the white connector. You might be able to then just slide the new one back on the white connector withour removing it from the pex. Look at some youtube videos on removing sharkbite fittings for examples. I'm just guessing here, I've never worked with an Alde system or that particular fitting.--Frank
Equalizer Hitch
fran&frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 05:34 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Callao , Virginia
That fitting you have in your had looks like a compression fitting. You would pull the red piece out, slide the red tube (with the white fitting attached) in then push the red piece back in. Same method for removing old fitting.
Airhead2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 06:26 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead2018 View Post
That fitting you have in your had looks like a compression fitting. You would pull the red piece out, slide the red tube (with the white fitting attached) in then push the red piece back in. Same method for removing old fitting.
I agree. It looks like a Shark Bite type connection. You push the red part towards the white part with the tool and tube pipe will pull out.

rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote