Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-11-2018, 12:43 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsborough , North Carolina
Does Homeowners Insurance typically cover this type damage?
Does Homeowners normally cover damage to property off property?
Is one takeway for all of us on this forum: Would an Umbrella Policy provide protection for the parents?
In other words since we all use this forum for learning, is this a case for the benefits of an Umbrella Policy?
GeeSag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:05 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeSag View Post
Does Homeowners Insurance typically cover this type damage?

Does Homeowners normally cover damage to property off property?

Is one takeway for all of us on this forum: Would an Umbrella Policy provide protection for the parents?

In other words since we all use this forum for learning, is this a case for the benefits of an Umbrella Policy?

Unfortunately, “it depends” is the answer. Too many x-factors to consider. Typically, homeowner policies can include liability coverage (usually up to $100K) if someone’s injured in your home and sues you. An umbrella kicks in above that (you can get them in millions and this is really about protecting yourself from an overly litigious society).

As for off-premises, odds are good you (and your offspring) would be covered for any accidental or “negligent” behavior. Like if your kid throws a football through a neighbor’s window accidentally - your homeowners policy is likely going to pay that (of course, if the damage isn’t that different from your deductible, you’d just pay out of pocket to your neighbor directly). A big caveat here is that intentional bad acts - like vandalism - are often excluded from coverage. How one could evaluate a 5 year old’s art project as intentional vandalism is a little beyond me but I suppose that’s possible.

Because things are different in every jurisdiction and scenario, my advice on all things Insurance is to work with a broker you trust. They’re trained to navigate the maze for your benefit. Small nuance there too - we sometimes refer to everyone as “agents” but there is a distinction (and one can be both). Agents represent the Insurance carrier, brokers represent the buyer of the policy. Be sure you know which you’re dealing with.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:32 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Yes, that’s one way to address it. But why have the dealer submit the claim and likely take a hit on premiums? I think the parents should make the dealer whole and if they can’t afford it, they might want to talk to *their* carrier directly to manage their liability for the damage.

Again - just one view. I’m wide open to learning something if I’m missing anything....
Why would the parents involve their insurance carrier in something a toddler did? The dealership needs to turn it in. Their deductible is probably much higher than the damage though.

Kids these days...my kids went to car shows and antique markers since they could walk. Before that they learned never to mess with someone else’s stuff. Of course that’s too strict for today’s little darlings.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:41 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
All the dealer could do, ultimately, would be to ask the parents to cover the damage.

They could pay for it, or see if their homeowners insurance would cover it and make a claim.

One would hope the parents would do the right thing, or at least offer, but ultimately it would likely come down to what the parents would voluntarily do.

Maggie
Old 12-11-2018, 01:46 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Why would the parents involve their insurance carrier in something a toddler did? The dealership needs to turn it in. Their deductible is probably much higher than the damage though.

Kids these days...my kids went to car shows and antique markers since they could walk. Before that they learned never to mess with someone else’s stuff. Of course that’s too strict for today’s little darlings.

Why should the parents file the claim? As I said - it’s their responsibility. If they can’t cover the damages from their own funds, they should talk to their carrier about liability coverage they may have for their kid’s accident / negligence.

The dealer isn’t responsible for that damage and shouldn’t be out the funds to repair it, or for the likely (ongoing) increase in premium they’ll face after filing a claim.

Dealer gets made whole. Parents and kid learn a valuable lesson. No one has to be “traumatized” in the process - just doing what normal folks do when mistakes happen - you do all you can to make it right.

One guy’s view...what do I know? [emoji3]
Old 12-11-2018, 02:53 PM   #26
Classy Roscoe

I suspect that this child has had other “mishaps”. Later in life when Little Johnny picks up a knife and carves his name in his girlfriends back, will insurance cover it?

We wonder why our society is falling apart? I give you Little Johnny at the AS Dealership. Most children would never pick up a rock and start carving up the back of any vehicle.

Dr. Spock be damned! Sell the 33’ Classic AS to the parents where is as is.

Respect for others and their property is being lost and excusing it because Little Johnny was “unattended” or had a creative moment is brovine excrement.

My 2 cents.

JE
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 03:31 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
When we were kids and did something wrong, we got a good ole arse whoopin. That might even work these days.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 03:44 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Geez Louise, I always like to think this is a reasonable collection of rational minds.

Let's imagine that this 5yr old, not a 15 yr old, were our grandchild. They were left unattended in an RV lot because we're so excited to see the shiny new Airstream models. The child picks up a rock. Let's stop right there which of our grandchildren has not picked up a rock. So he has as has been referred to, a little Picasso moment on the back of a very expensive vehicle. At 5 he maybe should know better but at 5 he is still nothing more than a little toddler who made a mistake. He should get punished whatever is appropriate for that families punishment and that will be his learning.

You apologized profusely to the dealership and the dealership works with their insurance company. If their insurance company wants your insurance information they will ask you for it and then the insurance companies will work it out.

in the future you watch your child more closely as you meander through the Airstream lot or you leave your child at home as a five-year-old will likely not be adding to your appointment.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:51 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Well, I guess I'm "old school". If I did that, my dad would have pulled off the belt, told the dealer he would pay for it, and take it out of my future pay checks once I was old enough to work and I did have a job beginning in 6th grade! I guess because of that, I did not take my kids into situations like that, or if I did, they knew to stay by my side. I have said "something nice" to a child out of control in situations like that and been reprimanded by the parents. A lot of parents don't parent today. I don't believe in the belt and my kids never experienced that, but they knew how to behave in public. Now that they are grown, they often comment on the unruly children we run into in public. The parents should pay for that damage. It's the right thing to do.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:00 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Try being a Cub Scout adult leader, or some other position where you come into contact with other people's youngish kids that are apparently simply allowed to run the street unchecked rather than be properly raised, with appropriate manners and such.

Even other kids will make comments on misbehaving ones...its a sad state of affairs. We never had to physically punish our kids, but they knew the rules of polite society, and how to properly behave in public before they were out of diapers. It does take an effort on the part of the parents, and I suspect that some do not try hard enough...

And yes, I was raised old school. Ditto wife. Reason and being good examples will get you what you want if applied at an early age.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:30 PM   #31
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
Vandalism is a crime.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:37 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHPJ View Post
Vandalism is a crime.

Yes it is, provided the accused did so willfully and with malice. Do you assume the 5 year old should be convicted by that standard?

I think the parents could be seen as negligent and should make restitution.

https://legal-dictionary.thefreedict....com/vandalism
Old 12-11-2018, 05:39 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, HHPJ, that was kind of my thought, not that a small child should be arrested or charged or anything like that.

As a mother and grandmother, I would impress upon any child of mine the severity of being destructive to something that doesn’t belong to them.

Might have a friendly police person speak with them.

This was not a toddler, but reportedly a school aged child.

There’s a problem there.

We have, however, beat this to death.

Let’s hope some appropriate response occurs on the part of the parents.

Maggie
Old 12-11-2018, 06:07 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
I too was raised old school and believe in those ways. Yes parenting ways are often different these days.

I went back and double-checked the original post, it says the child was five or six. That does not a vandal make even if he did do it on purpose.

Hittenstiehl
Old 12-11-2018, 06:09 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
PS and yes I should not have used the word toddler, preschooler would have been a more accurate term.

Hittenstiehl
Old 12-11-2018, 08:08 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We applied a warming experience early on to our kids only once or twice for any event that was dangerous or destructive. Over the years, folks would comment on how behaved the kids were. We responded that they knew what would happen if they misbehaved. They grew up to be relatively responsible adults supported by their own contributions. Can’t ask for much more than that.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:34 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
We applied a warming experience early on to our kids only once or twice for any event that was dangerous or destructive. Over the years, folks would comment on how behaved the kids were. We responded that they knew what would happen if they misbehaved. They grew up to be relatively responsible adults supported by their own contributions. Can’t ask for much more than that.
Hi, people would tell me how good my kids were and would say that I bet they never get in trouble. I told them that they were good because they have been in trouble and know what happens next. Also when we brought them to some people's houses, those people would start to pick up breakables; I told them that was not necessary because my kids won't touch anything that is not theirs.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:15 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
A child of 5 or 6 is way past old enough to know not to do something like that.

A parenting deficit in that family, is my initial assessment, and lack of proper supervision of said child at a dealership full of expensive vehicles.

Maggie
It's obvious that more supervision was needed, but to say that the child was old enough to know better and that a parenting deficit is to blame is a big leap. Many of us with children have probably been surprised at some point by something unfortunate they've done that we never saw coming. Also, there are plenty of children with developmental delays or other disorders that may not behave as we expect. Please don't put that down to parenting.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:23 AM   #39
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I'm responsible for everything my dog may do, no matter on or off lead, seems to me the same should apply to the little nippers. 🥴
Maybe a leash would have prevented the incident. 😉

Disclaimer... we are DINKS.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 12-12-2018, 07:23 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Draper , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
If you were the dealer, what would you do at this point?
"Excellent choice on the Classic 33. How much will you be putting down and how much will you be financing?"
ShullsinUtah is offline   Reply With Quote