Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2019, 08:33 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Oakville , Ontario
CZONE replacing fan with MaxxFan

Hi there,

I'm considering a 2019 Classic 33fb. I really like the floorplan. I realize it doesn't work for everyone but for our family (one daughter) and no dogs it looks perfect. We are coming from a 27FB.

My question relates to the Czone system. Does anyone know if I can replace the Fantastic Fan with a Maxair Maxxfan (actual fan and not a cover). I've done this in the past and it was as easy as hooking up the 12 volt lines and installing it. I'm not clear now if the Czone has other connections to the existing Fantastic Fan that allow it to operate it remotely.

Any knowledge would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sean
The Naker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:19 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Crested Butte , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naker View Post
Hi there,

I'm considering a 2019 Classic 33fb. I really like the floorplan. I realize it doesn't work for everyone but for our family (one daughter) and no dogs it looks perfect. We are coming from a 27FB.

My question relates to the Czone system. Does anyone know if I can replace the Fantastic Fan with a Maxair Maxxfan (actual fan and not a cover). I've done this in the past and it was as easy as hooking up the 12 volt lines and installing it. I'm not clear now if the Czone has other connections to the existing Fantastic Fan that allow it to operate it remotely.

Any knowledge would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sean
The lid motor is hooked into the CZone too. I would think it would all be possible. I think the stock fan AS put in in my Classic 30 is noisy junk. My Eddie Bauer fans were quiet and much classier. I am disappointed in some of the low quality, cheap decisions AS made on a $150k trailer.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:17 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Oakville , Ontario
Maxxair fans are lightyears ahead of Fantastic. They can be open in the rain or when you are driving (without a huge shroud on your roof), are whisper quiet and don't wake you up in the early morning because they thought dew was a rain storm and decided to close.

I'll have to figure out if there is a way to isolate the power opening motor and fan power in a Maxxair.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Maxxair fans are lightyears ahead of Fantastic. They can be open in the rain or when you are driving (without a huge shroud on your roof), are whisper quiet and don't wake you up in the early morning because they thought dew was a rain storm and decided to close.

I'll have to figure out if there is a way to isolate the power opening motor and fan power in a Maxxair.
The first mod I make on my Airstreams is to replace the FFs with MaxxAirs.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:48 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Pittsboro , North Carolina
We have a 2018 Classic 33fb (with Firefly controls) and my major question is whether the MaxxAir Deluxe will have enough mounting space to replace the Fantastic Fan over the lounge area. (i.e. clearance between outside edge of MaxxAir cover and leading edge for rear A/C). I've posed this question in another thread but to date no feedback.
chickenrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:28 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froglips View Post
The lid motor is hooked into the CZone too. I would think it would all be possible. I think the stock fan AS put in in my Classic 30 is noisy junk. My Eddie Bauer fans were quiet and much classier. I am disappointed in some of the low quality, cheap decisions AS made on a $150k trailer.

Amen!
BillB51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:57 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
On our 2018 with Firefly controls we had a Fantastic fan that took air in and out. 2019 only goes out. I would prefer the fan would go both ways. I heard you could put a reversing switch on. Anyone have any ideas if that would screw up existing czone programming even if you used switch manually.
ajwbarnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:59 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Oakville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenrx View Post
We have a 2018 Classic 33fb (with Firefly controls) and my major question is whether the MaxxAir Deluxe will have enough mounting space to replace the Fantastic Fan over the lounge area. (i.e. clearance between outside edge of MaxxAir cover and leading edge for rear A/C). I've posed this question in another thread but to date no feedback.
Chickenrx - have you made any progress on this? I'm going to start with replacing the lounge fan in my 33. I'll measure tomorrow to make sure it will fit. I still need to figure out the wiring so my plan is to get my electrical meter and see what's wired to the existing fan in the ceiling.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:40 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
The Czone controls in our Classic are a bit different than you would think. As an example, the front panel (by the entry door) has an addressable code. The panel module has 8 dip switches that you set for the addressable code. That code gets input into the Czone panel. You can edit it. You can identify the board as "entry". Czone then programs the computer as to what the buttons do. When you start up the Czone system is goes out and looks for all the devices (panels) in the trailer including the fan. I would assume there is another board near the fan with the same dip switch, but with a different code to make it unique.

That board has features that control opening, closing, fan on and off, and 3 fan speeds. There is no temperature thermostat with this model fan. So the Czone panel allows you to open and close the lid, turn on/off the fan, and adjust the speeds.

Now you would need to compare the specs of the fan you want to put in and the inputs it requires to see if it matches what the Czone board is outputting. How would you know? There lies the problem.

I tried looking for specs on the Fantastic fan, but although you can find simple schematics, they do not tell you much about its control. My trailer is at JC right now so I can't even identify what fantastic fan I have.

Are most 3-speed fan motors controlled by 3 locations for 12v input on the windings? AC motors are like this. That would make it easier to match the new fan by the three outputs from the manual switch.

I'm getting over my head right now so good luck!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:08 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
our sport 22fb had the basic Fantastic Fan.
we found the high end Fantastic Fan on amazon for about $100.

it does everything and was a very easy upgrade.

no change to the frame or wiring. there is even a wireless remote
  • we have have a rain sensor ,
  • auto close
  • variable speed,
  • in or out.
  • can raise the cover motor on or off
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:09 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Oakville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
The Czone controls in our Classic are a bit different than you would think. As an example, the front panel (by the entry door) has an addressable code. The panel module has 8 dip switches that you set for the addressable code. That code gets input into the Czone panel. You can edit it. You can identify the board as "entry". Czone then programs the computer as to what the buttons do. When you start up the Czone system is goes out and looks for all the devices (panels) in the trailer including the fan. I would assume there is another board near the fan with the same dip switch, but with a different code to make it unique.

That board has features that control opening, closing, fan on and off, and 3 fan speeds. There is no temperature thermostat with this model fan. So the Czone panel allows you to open and close the lid, turn on/off the fan, and adjust the speeds.

Now you would need to compare the specs of the fan you want to put in and the inputs it requires to see if it matches what the Czone board is outputting. How would you know? There lies the problem.

I tried looking for specs on the Fantastic fan, but although you can find simple schematics, they do not tell you much about its control. My trailer is at JC right now so I can't even identify what fantastic fan I have.

Are most 3-speed fan motors controlled by 3 locations for 12v input on the windings? AC motors are like this. That would make it easier to match the new fan by the three outputs from the manual switch.

I'm getting over my head right now so good luck!
I'm just wondering if there is 12v power at the fan or somewhere near it. Or is there a way to make the wires that do go to the fan put out a constant 12v.

I don't really care if the CZone doesn't work my new fan.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:49 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
I'm just wondering if there is 12v power at the fan or somewhere near it. Or is there a way to make the wires that do go to the fan put out a constant 12v.

I don't really care if the CZone doesn't work my new fan.
I would guess the Czone panel is very near the fan. It is powered by a 12v line. If you remove the old fan and the czone board that goes with it, you will get a "device not found - fan" on the Czone LED panel. It is not hard to remove that device at the panel. You have to remove its address.

Tom & Doty
Old 07-31-2019, 10:53 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Oakville , Ontario
Quote:
I would guess the Czone panel is very near the fan. It is powered by a 12v line. If you remove the old fan and the czone board that goes with it, you will get a "device not found - fan" on the Czone LED panel. It is not hard to remove that device at the panel. You have to remove its address.
The CZone schematic shows the 'control box' for the fans to be located in the side of the cabinet over the bed. Tomorrow will take a look. Maybe I can hotwire it.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:42 PM   #14
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
AS CZone wiring document shows two different control boxes for the fans. One, as stated, up front appears to control the opening/closing/power and another one for the rain sensors. That one on my Classic 33 diagram is under the wardrobe cabinet along with the main controller.

Which MaxxFan model are you looking at?
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:52 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Oakville , Ontario
I'm going to install the Maxxfan Deluxe 7000/7500. I put one in my van a few years ago and it's been amazing. The remote is well worth it.

My plan right now is to jump one of the leads at the Contact -6 in the bedroom so I have constant 12v at the fan. Then I'll use the Maxxfan by its built in controls or the remote.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:45 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
I'm going to install the Maxxfan Deluxe 7000/7500. I put one in my van a few years ago and it's been amazing. The remote is well worth it.

My plan right now is to jump one of the leads at the Contact -6 in the bedroom so I have constant 12v at the fan. Then I'll use the Maxxfan by its built in controls or the remote.
You have a good point about using the manual controls and the remote on the new fan. Going to the Czone panel to turn on the fan is kind of ridiculous. One other point though, if you have a dog that you leave in the trailer at times, the fan is nice to control from your phone when you are away to adust temps in the trailer. Of course, you could still use the AC.

Tom & Doty
Old 07-31-2019, 04:23 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Oakville , Ontario
Quote:
You have a good point about using the manual controls and the remote on the new fan. Going to the Czone panel to turn on the fan is kind of ridiculous. One other point though, if you have a dog that you leave in the trailer at times, the fan is nice to control from your phone when you are away to adust temps in the trailer. Of course, you could still use the AC.
Unfortunately for us Canadians, our Classics don't get any of the wireless hardware.

The good news is that I have no pets to worry about. The Maxxfan also has a neat feature that allows you to set a temp point where the fan turns off or on. It's nice for evenings because it will shut off automatically if the temps drop too much. Or turn on automatically if you leave for the day and temps rise.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:57 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Pittsboro , North Carolina
Quote:
Chickenrx - have you made any progress on this? I'm going to start with replacing the lounge fan in my 33. I'll measure tomorrow to make sure it will fit. I still need to figure out the wiring so my plan is to get my electrical meter and see what's wired to the existing fan in the ceiling.
I did find out that the MaxxAir Deluxe will not clear the front A/C. We ended up putting the remote controlled Fantastic Fan in that location and the MaxxAir Deluxe above the lounge. Huge difference in airflow and much quieter than the OEM fantastic fans. Downside is they are no longer controlled by the firefly, but by the remotes. Insignificant trade off to get the better airflow and sound reduction.
chickenrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:27 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we replaced the stock FF fan with the high end model.
got it cheap off Amazon. very few Maxxfan fans have both rain senor and bi-directional flow

very easy install.
just the fan base insert to replace.

now we have rain senor, bi-directional flow, infinite speed

and VERY QUIET
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 02:49 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Crested Butte , Colorado
Did anyone ever sort this out for a 2019 and newer CZone equipped system? I am tired of the turbofan noise level from the cheap fan in my Classic.