Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-12-2017, 05:01 PM   #1
Trying to run away.....

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
Comparison question: Twins & Queen

I've read over the years what I would say could be a relationship of queen bed users and reports of mold under the bed. What I can't say I have read is the same type of reports from people who have the twin bed setups.
I realize the process of getting the humidity under control will solve/help resolve any mold issues in either style bed, so that's not my concern.

So can anyone shed some light on the following: Is there a higher chance of getting the under bed mold using a queen bed compared to using twin beds? Thanks all.
HeavyAssault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:26 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
2021 30RB Classic
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Texas
While looking over a 2017 Classic twin, I noticed the outdoor storage compartments under each twin bed had a 1-way diffuser. I do not know if it was ducted from the heat pump or just a transfer duct to try and maintain an internal trailer condition in the outdoor storage compartment. I did not notice one in the queen under bed outdoor storage locker.
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
The classic beds do not set on plywood like other units. The beds are on slats and raised so air can flow under and around the mattress. So mold won't be a problem on these units.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:48 AM   #4
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
My classic twins on solid plywood, no mold since late October. The duct you see is for airflow from outboard registers in the "top" of the two outboard storage lockers, for airflow around bunks. So you get "heated" outdoor lockers for pantry storage or whatever that stay above outdoor ambient when it's freezing, but not too warm, since the heat convects up into the bedroom.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
The twins in my unit rest on plywood too. Maybe this is something Airstream changed in latter Classics?? Don't know what good it would do unless the outside storage areas were insulated and sealed off from the bottom of the bed ...which they aren't. No mold though
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:17 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We used DRI-DEK 1'x1' interlocking tiles under the bed on our sailboat where mold was an issue. The tiles snap together, can be trimmed once in place and are flexible. This solved the mold and mildew problem. We haven't had the need to put them under the bed on our Airstream yet, but may proactively add them this summer. As a side note, we do use them (as a 3'x3' mat) at the outdoor shower to hose off our dog and keep her paws out of the mud.
Creola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:20 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Cincinnnati , Ohio
We have a 2009 Classic with twin beds.. Never noticed any mold under the bed, however, when stripping everything down to do laundry, I noticed that a pillow that was up against the wall (mouse fur) was really, really damp on my husband's side. Is this from condensation? We were south and then came home to much cooler temps.
KathleenBenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
I've read over the years what I would say could be a relationship of queen bed users and reports of mold under the bed. What I can't say I have read is the same type of reports from people who have the twin bed setups.
I realize the process of getting the humidity under control will solve/help resolve any mold issues in either style bed, so that's not my concern.

So can anyone shed some light on the following: Is there a higher chance of getting the under bed mold using a queen bed compared to using twin beds? Thanks all.
Now THAT'S a good question causing me to check under the Queen bed in my 2016 FC.
THANX!😐
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post

Now THAT'S a good question, and causes me to check under my Queen bed in my 2016FC.
(Current ly stored outside)
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:43 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
Our 2014 FC25FB twin curb-side under-bed locker space is shared with the water heater so it is usually quite warm when parked and not in storage. I have power cables and hoses in this locker. I have never had mildew in it.

The street-side locker carries a cordless drill, chocks, wrenches (I have an Andersen hitch), and my rivet kit. There is quite a lot of space for air to circulate. I have never had mildew in it either.

The front locker extends under the heads of the beds. It carries leggo blocks, cow mat pads, air compressor, and woven poly patio pads. Its walls and ceiling are covered with black carpet. I think this locker would be the most likely to have a mildew problem but non here either.

The mattress platforms are plywood.

This trailer is stored in an unheated attached garage when it is not on the road.
BillfromWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:23 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Never a bad idea to keep a dehumidifier running inside, if you have storage access to 110V. I set mine to maintain about 50% humidity, which is on the low side.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:29 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Apache Junction , Arizona
AC dehumidifier

A quick and easy way to remove humidity from your trailer is to close door and windows and then run the AC for a while. It will dry out your trailer. Put a bucket under your condensate hose and you will be surprised at the amount of water being removed from the trailer cabin.
plbalza54 is offline   Reply With Quote