Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2019, 12:12 PM   #1
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Classic Twin Mattress

Hi

Ok, after three seasons of trying to get the co-pilot happy with the "stock" mattress in the 2017 30' Classic, I think we are ready to buy a replacement. We're both "full sized" and tend to bottom out on the stock version (more so after about 14 months of sleeping on them).

Since these have the whacky "cut out" for the power head raiser part of the bed, whatever we do will need to be pretty highly customized. Chopping up this or that is not going to be practical in this case. We've tried foam pads of various sorts, none of them have been firm enough to do any good.

The bed here at home has a *very* firm mattress on it. That seems to work fine. We went through a wide range of mattresses before we found the one we have now. Most of the rest died in ~ 4 years or so.

So - has anybody else been down this road? We need somebody who has the skills to do a weird shape in X, Y, and Z directions. We also need somebody who has enough of a range of materials that they can match our need.

Yes, this is very much into a "niche" sort of thing.

(I'm headed out now to look at the wimpy plywood under the mattress to see about building that up a bit more. It's already been fiddled once. Not the whole answer, but part of it).

Thanks!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 07:14 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Everywhere , Minnesota
Tuft and Needle upgrade?

I am no expert in this area. And from other threads we have exchanged information about 30 twin Classics. Just my thoughts posted back to you and yours.

Tuft and Needle make the stock mattress for the twin 30' have you tried them to see about the other style of mattresses they make? Beside 'The Original,' Tuft and Needle also make, 'The Mint' and 'The Hybrid.' Do they do custom for Airstream fit in one of the upgrade styles?
Wish you the best of luck and am interested in how this all turns out for the two of you.
Jeff and Kathy - Renascence
Old 10-27-2019, 07:54 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Tuft and Needle make the mattress for the current version of the Classic. The one I have came with a mattress from the ever famous "Elkhart Bedding" Company. I have a nasty suspicion that AS changed the bed dimensions a bit after mine came out.

Indeed if nobody has any other thoughts, they are what I'll probably start out with.

Bob
Old 10-28-2019, 06:45 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Everywhere , Minnesota
I have read and heard lots about Adventure Airstream, Portland, OR, I believe. Thought maybe with their custom work they may have a vendor for mattresses as well. Just a random thought. Good luck and hope all turns out the way you want. Keep us posted if you don't mind.

Jeff and Kathy - Renascence
Old 10-28-2019, 06:56 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
Try the Denver Mattress Company. I’ve read on other threads they make customers twin Airstream twin mattresses
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:56 PM   #6
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
There are small, mom & pop mattress manufacturers all around the country. Do some internet searching in your area, check the Better Business Bureau, call the Chamber of Commerce, etc. You shouldn't have to go far or pay a high price from a local shop.

We had twin mattresses made for our Interstate van. They are certainly a special size (length/width) and also have an unusual "notch" in the corner to match the inside contour of the van.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:37 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Ok, so some more good ideas !!

There are indeed a *lot* of small mattress outfits out there. Just as you want to fly on the *second* airplane the Wright brothers build, you sort of don't want to be the first ever customer for something strange.

Price in this case is a secondary concern. We've spent many decades discovering that a low cost mattress is also one with a short life. These days, we're sleeping on the bedding in the RV more than we are on the stuff here at home. We will / do rack up enough months of use to do some damage to the bedding in the trailer.

I *wish* I could say that there was enough spare change to buy several candidates and try them all out. We really don't have the time or the funds to go quite that crazy

Yes this is a bit scatterbrained Thanks for all the ideas !!!

Bob
Old 10-29-2019, 01:46 PM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Well, based on another thread, it seems that the "stock" Tuft and Needle version of the mattress has the same basic limitations as what I have. This may be a long search .....

Bob
Old 10-29-2019, 03:01 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Micanopy , Florida
Bob,
Don't discount the local makers. We were in worse shape than you.....220 lbs on airstream twin in flying cloud. My posterior was on the wood before 1st year was even close to being over. Cure for me....
Changed the flimsy plywood to full 1/2 inch and making it 3" wider than stock.
Went to local mattress manufacture here in fl ( Fox mattress HollyHill Fl) Brought the airstream original with me just in case.
People were great...spent about 3 hrs trying all sorts of foam,spring and combinations of mattresses. Found one I liked....found one the boss liked.....decided on thickness that would be appropriate, little help here with that, again the folks were very knowledgeable.
Brought in the old mattress from truck for measurements....original plus 3 inches wider, 1 inch longer so fit better in space provided ( no more toes stuck in the crack between mattress ends and wall) ...I believe we were 8-9 inches tall.
Took a tour of factory.....1 week later all done!
Both were multiple layers of different foam with pillow top cover
Been on them little over 4 yrs now, Jane, ( the boss) has suggested that we get rid of the $$$$.$$ mattress in our home and get same as we put in AS. I believe less tha $1000 each thinking $800
Oh yes.....Sadie B....cattle dog supreme....heartily agrees! We sleep very well when she lets us
Rick
Offack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:47 PM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Shopping around locally is a possibility. So far my search skills have not turned up much that actually *is* local.

One concern I have is for the "step" in the mattress and the way the thing bends when the headrest is raised. Getting that part so it works *and* you have a firm mattress seems like a major challenge. It would take a very ambitious local shop to attack that part of it.

Bob
Old 10-30-2019, 09:16 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Massillon , Ohio
Uncle Bob,

You might try the Original Mattress Factory. They will make custom sizes and are located in the Cleveland/Canton , Ohio area. I asked them to make me a short twin size about 20 years ago. I only used it a short time when my daughter asked if she could have it for her apartment at the university. I forgot to tell her that it was shortened about a foot or so. She said she always wondered why her feet hung over the end of the bed!
Aircub69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:40 AM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aircub69 View Post
Uncle Bob,

You might try the Original Mattress Factory. They will make custom sizes and are located in the Cleveland/Canton , Ohio area. I asked them to make me a short twin size about 20 years ago. I only used it a short time when my daughter asked if she could have it for her apartment at the university. I forgot to tell her that it was shortened about a foot or so. She said she always wondered why her feet hung over the end of the bed!
Hi

Looking at their site, they do mention "hinge" mattresses as well as adjustable ones. My concern about the breakpoint in the Classic mattresses being really weird may not be a valid concern.

Bob
Old 12-05-2019, 07:51 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
townsend , Tennessee
You would think the stock mattress would be of better quality, but...

Airstream Supply Company sells a much better quality mattress made by Mobile Sleep (see link below. I'm not sure if you can by direct from Mobile Sleep. I do know that if you buy through Airstream Supply Company you will get a custom mattress to fit your exact model. Their firm is much better than the stock mattress, but still probably not as good as your one at home.

https://mobilesleepcomponents.com/mattresses-2/
BryonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:22 AM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Compared to other RV mattresses, I really can't complain all that much about what came with the trailer. I will see what I can find at Airstream Supply.

======

Just went in and looked. They do not have one for the twin

Thanks

Bob
Old 12-06-2019, 09:56 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
You can get actual dimensions/schematics for the mattresses from Jackson Center.
A family member had a new inner spring mattress with pillow top made for their 25' Safari. It was the same quality as a home mattress - I tried it out and liked it a lot. Much better than a foam mattress.

I am fairly certain it came from this place so give them a call.
http://www.sleeptitemattressfactory.com/
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:07 AM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Since Airstream Supply *is* Jackson Center, I figure that they already should know what all the numbers are. The big question is why they don't show the 2015 - 2018 Classic Twin's on the list. I'm guessing there must be a reason ..... I have an email into them to find out.

======

Sleep Tite looks like an interesting lead. I'm pretty sure that the solution is going to be a latex foam design. They do seem to be into that. They also show folding mattresses on the web site.

Thanks !!

Bob
Old 12-07-2019, 06:50 AM   #17
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

So this does not stay "dangling". It appears that the 2017 Twin *not* being on the pull down list on the web site is simply a programming error. Looking at the 2015 Classic 30' parts book, the bed is same / same as in the 2017. If the mattress works for the 2015 it will work for the 2017. The email I got back from JC pretty much said the same thing.

Bob
Old 09-02-2020, 11:47 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2010 30' Classic
Allen , Texas
too funny, i called JC for my 2010 classic twin replacement beds and was told they didnt have them. yet airstream supply does. go figure.

Sounds like tuft and needle or airstream supply are the best beds out there. Anyone know how to order an airstream bed from tuft and needle? do they stock the airstream twins or is this some type of custom order? thanks
mikez98072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 06:08 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
New Milford , Pennsylvania
AB Life styles will put extra springs in an airstream matress. We have purchased several items from them. Good quality and fast service.
AKmtnpilot is offline   Reply With Quote