Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2019, 12:19 PM   #21
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitchell View Post
Hi Gents, Are you saying that the inverter always has power going to it, even when the trailer is in "store" mode? Then is the inverter just switched off in "store" mode through a smaller circuit, but the larger supply cables are always providing resistance to the system? Even with the battery disconnect button pushed?
Hi

Indeed the inverter *does* always have 12V power going into it, even in store mode. It represents a much larger "phantom load" than the propane detector that everybody gets all wound up about.

To be very specific: there are two giant cables that run directly from the battery posts to the inverter. One for plus and one for ground. There is a big fat T series fuse inline with the plus side. Neither cable runs anywhere near the use / store disconnect relay. Due to the high amperage the inverter pulls, it would fry the use / store relay.

If you want to put a disconnect in the inverter supply then either something like the Blue Sea 7000 series solenoids or one of their manual switches would do the trick

If you want to do the transfer switch properly, then you will need to install another AC sub panel somewhere in the trailer. For various reasons, it needs to be wired independently of the main AC panel.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:58 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
So, my wifi is ON when the red disconnect is cutting the power. Now why would that be?

If you are leaving the trailer, and want to power off as much as possible, why would you want the WiFi left on? The Czone is entirely off. You cannot access the trailer to control lights, temp, awning etc. It has no real use unless you've given your neighbor your password to access the internet!

So one more thing to remember, turn the key and shut off the WiFi!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:31 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Oakville , Ontario
Does anyone know where the manual power disconnect switch is on the Classic 33? My Czone disconnect switch by the door doesn't seem to do anything. I've looked but can't find the red manual shutoff that you guys are discussing.
The Naker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:55 PM   #24
Mitch

2020 30' Classic
Granite Bay , California
I think they leave the "router" (owners manual term for the Wifi) on for the operation of the Smart Control app, and also the location tracking device.

2020 Classic 30RQB
2013 2500HD Dmax: 6in lift; GEN-Y Traveler (torsion flex) hitch; Load Range F (3-Ply sides); 1-ton leafs; Hellwig sway bar; Firestone Ride-Rt RED; Bilstein 5160s
Registered Professional Engineer, CA
jmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:16 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Oakville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naker View Post
Does anyone know where the manual power disconnect switch is on the Classic 33? My Czone disconnect switch by the door doesn't seem to do anything. I've looked but can't find the red manual shutoff that you guys are discussing.

For anyone else who may want to know, I found the switch. Its under the dinette seat (rearmost seat) behind the fuse panel. You access it by removing the seat/bench panel under the table.
The Naker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:45 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
I think they leave the "router" (owners manual term for the Wifi) on for the operation of the Smart Control app, and also the location tracking device.

No! The Czone system is off! You cannot use those functions.

Tom & Doty
Old 07-08-2019, 10:47 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:

Check to see if that switch feels the same as the other switches in the panel. If it is “tight” is needs replaced.

Tom & Doty
Old 07-09-2019, 07:31 AM   #28
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
For anyone else who may want to know, I found the switch. Its under the dinette seat (rearmost seat) behind the fuse panel. You access it by removing the seat/bench panel under the table.
Hi

Check to make sure the inverter cable goes to that magic switch. If they do then indeed it's is a full disconnect. If not, then we're back to the "sort of a disconnect" switch .....

Bob
Old 07-09-2019, 07:36 AM   #29
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
So, my wifi is ON when the red disconnect is cutting the power. Now why would that be?

If you are leaving the trailer, and want to power off as much as possible, why would you want the WiFi left on? The Czone is entirely off. You cannot access the trailer to control lights, temp, awning etc. It has no real use unless you've given your neighbor your password to access the internet!

So one more thing to remember, turn the key and shut off the WiFi!
Hi

I believe you have the ability to "monitor" your trailer from afar even in store mode. Just what that monitoring consists of is totally unclear to me. Since it's just monitoring, the control stuff is not powered up.

Keeping the cell side of the router on would be required for that. They may not be able to shut things off in enough of a fine grain fashion to keep cell on and WiFi off ....

Guess two would be it's a wiring error .....

Bob
Old 07-09-2019, 07:50 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
No! The Czone system is off! You cannot use those functions.
The main COI is powered off when the battery disconnect is turned off, but the czone is a distributed network and there are parts of it that are left on. When you removed the speaker access panel to provide power to your own router, you should have seen several wires connected to the key. The manual also shows the key switch on it's own direct battery circuit. There is one wire that is connected to the switched side that splits into two wires before it dissapears into the harness so that tells me that there are at least two pieces of equipment that still have power (other than the router) when the key switch is on.

The motorized disconnect switch is not actually controlled through the czone COI as far as I can tell. It would appear that the switch by the sink simply has a direct connection to the disconnect. I suspect that there is a switch controller (possibly the same one since the czone disconnect switch always has power to it to be able to turn on the motorized disconnect?) that also has power somewhere in the trailer. I have not been able to find many of the switch controllers that I know are in there. I believe the network interface in that same speaker cabinet also has power connected to the keyswitch.

There is a space behind the fridge that cannot be accessed without pulling the fridge so I'm betting that there are some controll boxes tucked inside there.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:54 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Hi Turk123, not sure if you have taken your couch out yet (very difficult for one person to put back and realign, removing is easy), but there is a dedicated wall plug with a label on it that says "Inverter Only" mounted on the wall (see below picture). The two cables plugged in there are the recliner motors (one plug for the right, and one for the left). The interesting thing is that each of those cords go into their own black box that looks an awful lot like a typical AC/DC adapter that is used for things like laptop computers. The boxes are zip tied to the sofa frame. I was not in there to figure out the couches at the time, so paid no mind to it until now. I did notice that the plugs going into the side of the "adapter" were not well secured (like the thick side plug of a laptop adapter, and I pushed them in extra hard before putting my couch back together. I'm not at all certain of this, but if that was an AC/DC adapter then they may have simply rewired those drives on the newer model to avoid the necessity for the adapter. I have to say, it would be surprising to me that they would not have just run them off DC in the first place, but if that is the case then there was probably reasons (of which I could think of a few).
I'm guessing the reason you pulled your couch was to install those big honkin' batteries? Do tell more of this project!
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:29 AM   #32
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
I'm guessing the reason you pulled your couch was to install those big honkin' batteries? Do tell more of this project!
Hi

I didn't find the center section of the couch all that hard to deal with. It popped out and went back in pretty easy. I eventually replaced it with a storage unit / shelf setup. (someplace secure to set your beer ....).

Two Lithium's went under the center section and two went into the battery box. Again not a big deal to manage. Depending on where your sub-woofer is mounted , you might need to move it under one of the other sofa sections.

Bob
Old 07-10-2019, 06:36 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Crested Butte , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

I didn't find the center section of the couch all that hard to deal with. It popped out and went back in pretty easy. I eventually replaced it with a storage unit/shelf setup. (someplace secure to set your beer ....).

Two Lithium's went under the center section and two went into the battery box. Again not a big deal to manage. Depending on where your sub-woofer is mounted, you might need to move it under one of the other sofa sections.

Bob
Got any pics? Did you build the center section?
Old 07-11-2019, 08:39 AM   #34
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froglips View Post
Got any pics? Did you build the center section?
Hi

The center section I built has a plywood frame that supports a whole bunch of 3D printed add-ons. Unless 3D printing is a hobby of yours, this is *not* a way to go . It also supports a variety of chargers and other very "Bob specific" items that work fine for me, but maybe not for anybody else on the planet.

Not sure if I have any pictures or not.

Construction wise:

Big chunk of 3/4" plywood for the bottom. Wood blocks to shim it in back and level it out. Three bolts to line up with the holes in the sofa frame.

4 sided "box" on the back end of it, also made from 3/4" plywood. It's maybe a foot deep and a foot tall. The back is solid (with lots of holes).

All of it was a "measure what I have / go to Lowes and have them cut it" sort of design. Precision was not involved. Lots of glue and nails hold it all together. The surface is completely covered in 3D parts so there is no "finish" on the wood.

The batteries simply sit under the couch. I have a couple of straps that go through brackets tied to the floor to lock them down. There also are a few (3D printed) brackets on the floor to keep them from moving front to back. The wood blocks the brackets are tied to keep them solid left to right. The straps are just normal cargo straps from who knows who.....

Bob
Old 08-01-2019, 12:55 PM   #35
Mitch

2020 30' Classic
Granite Bay , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
Hi All,

I didn't want to hijack this post, but there was some interest on my battery install shown in the photo about the inverter-driven outlet behind my couch. So instead of providing the details here, I created a new thread (linked below), which is in the Electrical Section of the forum, to share my experience installing the new batteries.

Happy Streaming!

2020 Classic 30RQB
2013 2500HD Dmax: 6in lift; GEN-Y Traveler (torsion flex) hitch; Load Range F (3-Ply sides); 1-ton leafs; Hellwig sway bar; Firestone Ride-Rt RED; Bilstein 5160s
Old 08-01-2019, 12:56 PM   #36
Mitch

2020 30' Classic
Granite Bay , California
Quote:
Hi All,

I didn't want to hijack this post, but there was some interest on my battery install shown in the photo about the inverter-driven outlet behind my couch. So instead of providing the details here, I created a new thread (linked below), which is in the Electrical Section of the forum, to share my experience installing the new batteries.

Happy Streaming!
Accidentally left the link out of the above post. Link to battery upgrade thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...on-198958.html

2020 Classic 30RQB