Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2019, 02:43 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
Classic 33FB Pepwave & SSID

The other day I had a knock on my door and gentleman said he saw that had an internet connection and he needed to Skype call and could he use it. He knew I had the connection since the SSID is Airstream_XXX of coarse I was only Airstream around. I. can't seem to find a way to change the SSID to something like FBI_Stakeout or DEA_HomeOffice. Has any been able to change it?
and
2017 Newmar Ventana Class A DP 7224 Payload
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:34 AM   #2
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
PEPWAVE Router SSID Change

Hi Dennis & Ellie,

Not sure what you've got there for a router...Pepwave caught my eye. I'm going to assume it's a surf soho. It's simple enough to change the SSID being broadcast...

1. Log into the router.
a. Use a web browser from a device that's connected to your "Airstream" network.
b. Username= admin Password= ????
2. Select the "AP"(Access Point) Menu
3. Select the "SSID" you want to modify
a. Edit the SSID name to your preference.
b. "Save" and then "Apply the Changes"
4. Logoff the router

All the best!

Tom - S/OS #025
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:47 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
It's a BR1 that comes with the AS from the factory and the factory has the password and won't give it up. The App that AS has looks like all you can do is change the password. I do not like not having access to the router that's in my AS but the deal of having a 360.00 a year unlimited and unthrottled connect with the first year free is worth it. We are installing a WIFI Ranger that I already own to wall the BR1 from my internal network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STREMN View Post
Hi Dennis & Ellie,

Not sure what you've got there for a router...Pepwave caught my eye. I'm going to assume it's a surf soho. It's simple enough to change the SSID being broadcast...

1. Log into the router.
a. Use a web browser from a device that's connected to your "Airstream" network.
b. Username= admin Password= ????
2. Select the "AP"(Access Point) Menu
3. Select the "SSID" you want to modify
a. Edit the SSID name to your preference.
b. "Save" and then "Apply the Changes"
4. Logoff the router

All the best!

Tom - S/OS #025
and
Old 07-25-2019, 10:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
You will not be able to change it. The router is locked. Airstream has a software program called "Connect 2" from Pepwave that allows Airstream to control all the trailers from one app. This is primarily for upgrading all at once or to log into your to turn off the WiFi as WAN.

It is "fleet" software so they can see everyone at once.

That said, they technically should be able to Hide the two SSID's in your router so other in the campground can not see them. You would have to ask JC to do that for you.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:24 PM   #5
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
You will not be able to change it. The router is locked. Airstream has a software program called "Connect 2" from Pepwave that allows Airstream to control all the trailers from one app. This is primarily for upgrading all at once or to log into your to turn off the WiFi as WAN.

It is "fleet" software so they can see everyone at once.

That said, they technically should be able to Hide the two SSID's in your router so other in the campground can not see them. You would have to ask JC to do that for you.
Hmmmm, interesting...sounds like a Cable Company Operation, that's ripe for continued subscription fees, cost increases, and big brother oversight. YMMV, lol...

If it works for you that's all that matters...but it doesn't seem right that you don't have complete administrative control over it, after all, you bought and paid for it with the purchase of your trailer.

Sorry I couldn't help! All the best for great adventures!

Tom - S/OS #025
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:12 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
Tom
I couldn't agree with you more but that's the game you have to play if you want a 360.00 a year or 30 dollars a month connection. So far this month I have used 120 gigs of data and still can stream Netflix. I think it is still safer to hook up to a router that AS has control then one that a campground has control.

What we have done is put our own router between the Pepwave and our internal network so AS has access to Pepwave and the Czone only. We also have a Verizon Pre-Pay Jetpack that we use at house internet and use about 200 - 300 gigs a month. I can move the Jetpack into the AS and use the router to balance the connections between the Verizon and At&T.

Quote:
Hmmmm, interesting...sounds like a Cable Company Operation, that's ripe for continued subscription fees, cost increases, and big brother oversight. YMMV, lol...

If it works for you that's all that matters...but it doesn't seem right that you don't have complete administrative control over it, after all, you bought and paid for it with the purchase of your trailer.

Tom - S/OS #025
and
Old 07-25-2019, 06:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:

Tom - S/OS #025
Part of the problem is that the Czone system that controls your trailer is of Airstream design and they are protecting their system from prying eyes and prying hacking that essentially, if not controlled, could allow someone to hack your trailer. They also are protecting their Airstream connect support from owners who would fiddle with the router and lock both themselves and Airstream out. Then what do they do under warranty support? Transport your trailer back to JC on a flatbed?

I can see why it is locked.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Classic 33FB Pepwave & SSID

Locking it up or making it inaccessible is not necessarily secure. I’m not convinced Airstream knows enough to make Czone properly secure. Passwords over the air can be cracked.

I’m in the computer security business. I seriously doubt they did harden it enough.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 11:00 AM   #9

2019 28' Flying Cloud
McKinney , Texas
You can change the "Primary Network" (the SSID of your wireless) from the Connected App. Just click on "Primary Network"/Edit and change the "Network Name" and optionally the password if you like. You can also change the Guest Network the same way. The SSID is what the person knocking on your door saw from his wireless device. If you do decide to let him use your wireless connectivity, only provide the Guest Network SSID and password. You might also want to change the password after he is finished using it.

Make sure you don't forget your password for the Primary Network (if you change it). It might be a good idea to write it on the label of your router for safe keeping... possibly not the most secure thing to do, but reasonably safe I would think. The correct thing to do would be to store the password in an encrypted wallet like 1password.
Tabasco2105 is offline   Reply With Quote