Old 12-30-2017, 11:16 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Weatherford , Texas
Classic 33 Projector TV

This only pertains to Classic 33s, The Homework entertainment tuner (for the projector tv) is only capable of receiving "air tv" and not capable of receiving cable tv. Airstream is aware and their engineering is working to correct (probably through a recall). This is a problem that Airstream has not previously experienced, because the TV tuners were built in the Samsung TV. It appears this has caught them by surprise.

smmckean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:18 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Once again...proof the trailer systems are not tested at the factory or at the dealerships. We are the rolling testing labs.

Old 01-01-2018, 01:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The same could be said about anyone using a Micro$loth computer operating system...users as a test load!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
1985 called. It wants it’s TV back...
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:32 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The bad news is that the sort of "cable tv" that the tuners can handle does not really exist anymore. The world of cable went digital a while back. The TV tuners are not set up to deal with what the cable companies now put out. You get a gizmo from them called a "cable card" to deal with the issue. The card plugs into your TV or Tivo and only then can you get cable. The card is keyed to a specific cable system (as in cable company and location). There is no "generic" solution anymore ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:09 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Weatherford , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

The bad news is that the sort of "cable tv" that the tuners can handle does not really exist anymore. The world of cable went digital a while back. The TV tuners are not set up to deal with what the cable companies now put out. You get a gizmo from them called a "cable card" to deal with the issue. The card plugs into your TV or Tivo and only then can you get cable. The card is keyed to a specific cable system (as in cable company and location). There is no "generic" solution anymore ....

Bob
How do you get the cable card....so if I stay where Time Warner is the provider, then Cox, Suddenlink, Spectrum, etc....you are saying that I will need a deck of cards to make a week's trip. Where or how would you plug in the cable card....As it is now, the Samsung in the bedroom works fine, and the projector does not receive their signal...And using Roku or Apple TV is dependent upon a great WiFi system, and many campgrounds are behind the curve.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:53 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
If you have the latest Apple TV you can stream downloaded movies from your iPhone or iPad without an external WiFi connection. The Apple TV and iPad make a peer to peer connection and you can stream away.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:36 PM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by smmckean View Post
How do you get the cable card....so if I stay where Time Warner is the provider, then Cox, Suddenlink, Spectrum, etc....you are saying that I will need a deck of cards to make a week's trip. Where or how would you plug in the cable card....As it is now, the Samsung in the bedroom works fine, and the projector does not receive their signal...And using Roku or Apple TV is dependent upon a great WiFi system, and many campgrounds are behind the curve.
Hi

To get the cable card, you go down to the local Comcast store with your local account number information and ask for one. Once you get back to the trailer, you plug it in and log into your account to activate it.

If you drive 20 miles down the road, you turn that one in and go get another one. They can be *very* local in terms of programming. Keep in mind - you still need a TV or box that can *use* a cable card. My Tivo uses one. None of my current TV's will take one.

Simple answer = the days of pull up and hook up to conventional cable are long gone. They changed the technology years ago and the cable companies are pretty much upgraded by now.

The background: Once upon a time, all TV was analog. The cable systems just used different channel frequencies than the over the air stuff. Along came digital broadcasting. We all traded in our old analog TV sets (or got converter boxes) and started watching the new signals. The cable guys went over to a different digital approach a bit before that. Both broadcast and cable spent a decade or more transitioning from one to the other.

So, yes, if you can *find* an old style cable setup, there are TV's that will directly tune channels on that system. Finding one of those is not easy. Most places that supply cable, bring you a tuner box and you plug that into your sat input.

Bob
Old 01-03-2018, 08:53 PM   #9
Davey "Ham" KU9L

Currently Looking...
Winter Haven , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to KU9L
Angry

Quote:
Hi

To get the cable card, you go down to the local Comcast store with your local account number information and ask for one. Once you get back to the trailer, you plug it in and log into your account to activate it.

If you drive 20 miles down the road, you turn that one in and go get another one. They can be *very* local in terms of programming. Keep in mind - you still need a TV or box that can *use* a cable card. My Tivo uses one. None of my current TV's will take one.

Simple answer = the days of pull up and hook up to conventional cable are long gone. They changed the technology years ago and the cable companies are pretty much upgraded by now.

The background: Once upon a time, all TV was analog. The cable systems just used different channel frequencies than the over the air stuff. Along came digital broadcasting. We all traded in our old analog TV sets (or got converter boxes) and started watching the new signals. The cable guys went over to a different digital approach a bit before that. Both broadcast and cable spent a decade or more transitioning from one to the other.

So, yes, if you can *find* an old style cable setup, there are TV's that will directly tune channels on that system. Finding one of those is not easy. Most places that supply cable, bring you a tuner box and you plug that into your sat input.

Bob
You are correct Bob, what a mess. The owner of the campground we manage in central FL said, "NO!" to Spectrum/Brighthouse trying to delete our current 70 channels of mixed analog and digital programming to go to the small "deck of card"-size digital converters where Spectrum would come out to install a converter on every TV on our 200 RV site property. It would make overnight short-term guests very inconvenienced, especially our elderly travelers who still have not quite grasped the concept of how to program their TV back & forth from OTR to cable mode or even remembering "if" they have an OTR amp and where it is. Imagine trying to leave the converter box and its remote control with their after-hours check-in packet and expecting elderly Mabel to know how to connect it to the back of her TV above the overcab in her motorhome? ... and then there is the Spectrum $50 deposit on each converter for each individual TV, yuck.

Well, our owner decided to get a commercial converter box mounted at the campground entrance that would convert all 70 new digital channels unreachable by TV's to digital scannable by a typical TV in cable mode. I just got the call that it would cost $30,000 for the new converter and instead, they are just going to have me provide after-hours support for those that run into trouble getting them going.

After doing other similar PIA type stuff in similar parallel efforts for 3+ years now, we have decided to go to Plan B, which involves full-time AS travel so some other fool can work 100+ hour weeks for poverty wages.

Also, Spectrum upgraded our park to fiberoptic and I installed 25 new WIFI AP's to replace the 7 tired Tengo AP's we previously had, only to discover there is a high power Spectrum hotspot next door that is taking out my new WIFI system on the 5 GHz band ... I digress, that is a sign to go buy our new Classic 33 AND we are going to have portable satellite where we will be camp hosting in the mountains 1700 miles away. Of course, it will mean a whole different set of challenges, but at least we will no longer be dealing with Spectrum!!!

Best of luck to AS for finding a solution to their "cable" input issue. At this stage of the game, it may be enough to just provide an HDMI input and a shelf for your own Auxiliary piece of gear to feed whatever works. I watch about 30 minutes of TV per month, OTOH I wear out my ROKU device researching every AS and F250/350/RVHauler video I can digest when I am not working on my new home business for full-time RV travel. Cheers!
KU9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:51 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Weatherford , Texas
It appears that all of your discussion is based upon long term in a single site, the cable company would do their magic in each unit specific to their company. I have traveled from Florida to Montana and my findings are that the campground has a TV Cable service pedestal at each site, plus your RG6 cable into it and then into your coach, set your TV to receive cable and then auto search to find the channels. This has been true for differing providers...Comcast, Spectrum, Tim Warner, Cox, Suddenlink, etc. In the 2018 Classic 33; this same procedure holds true for the bedroom Samsung TV; the projector TV (which uses a Mediasonic Homeworx HW180STB converter box) for a tuner. Via a Google Search only reveals it on Amazon; the last bullet point states: "**PLEASE NOTE**:This converter box is designed to receive Over-The-Air signal, and it is not a replacement of cable box. External Antenna is required to connect to this converter box in order to receive signal. This product does NOT Work with TIVO and cable company such as Comcast, DirecTV, DISH Network, Time Warner Cable, etc. In general, this product does NOT work with encrypted cable signal." Campground owners are not going to provide a "converter box" to each overnight camper because of potential equipment loss. It is not feasible for the camper to carry 10-15 different cable boxes. Is there a universal Decrypter available. I have been to Home theater stores, Auto & RV entertainment stores seeking a solution. To date, we are drawing a blank.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:02 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I have yet to find a single campsite that advertises having cable that does not do it with digital gizmos .....

Bob
Old 01-04-2018, 12:36 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Weatherford , Texas
I think a lot of the confusion is around the FCC requirement for stations to broadcast (over the air) the digital signal. There was no change for the cable providers. Therefore the equipment provided in the Classic 33 receives the air digital, it does not receive the cable transmission. How do we resolve this issue.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:48 AM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by smmckean View Post
I think a lot of the confusion is around the FCC requirement for stations to broadcast (over the air) the digital signal. There was no change for the cable providers. Therefore the equipment provided in the Classic 33 receives the air digital, it does not receive the cable transmission. How do we resolve this issue.
Hi

The FCC is only marginally involved in the cable side of things. On the technical side, there are a number of committees and Cable Labs. Regulation is done at the state, county, and town level in some cases.

Like it or not, the cable guys started going digital a bit before the OTA transition. The format they decided to use is not the same as the OTA digital (ATSC) format. None of that really matters though.

What does matter is that the receive side of digital cable is locked up by encryption. The cable company holds the keys to un-encrypt this or that channel. They do that by provisioning your cable box or cable card. If you have an account with them on this or that system, they provide you with a physical card or physical box that has the keys programmed into it.

None of this has anything to do with your AS. None of this has anything to do with your entertainment system. It has everything to do with how the cable companies do business and are regulated. It is how they prevent piracy of their signals. These days, if you have an apartment building with 800 apartments, there are 800 people each with an account and a tuner box. If any of them stop paying their bill, that tuner box (and that box only) gets shut down.

An RV park would be no different than an apartment in terms of setup. You each go down and pick your plan. You listen to the yack about all the great discounts for a 2 year contract. You come home with this or that plan keyed to this or that box. If the RV park guys do the shopping, they come home with a pile of boxes. When you ask for cable, they loan you a box. It's got an HDMI connector on it. You plug that into your TV.

As a note, we're talking about commercial cable here and not a shared antenna system. With a shared antenna, you have none of this nonsense and you just tune the channels with your normal tuner. In that case, your 33' is already set up for the task. Since they both come into the pedestal on a piece of coax, people *do* get confused between the two systems.

Bob
Old 01-05-2018, 10:35 AM   #14
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
Quote:
Hi

...When you ask for cable, they loan you a box. It's got an HDMI connector on it. You plug that into your TV.
Bob
Although I don't have a 33 with the projection TV I am curious - does it have HDMI inputs?

“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948
Adventure.AS is offline   Reply With Quote