Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-29-2018, 07:55 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Should tow fine.
I tow a Classic 30 with a Tundra.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:33 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Sorry to but in however your advise on hitches is totally misleading. There are a number of great hitches out there for a fraction of the money a Pro Pride costs.
Quote:
That is your opinion and we all know what opinions are worth.
No it's not. From an objective engineering and physics standpoint, sway control that relies on friction is 100% inferior to sway control that uses geometry. Nothing you say is going to change that fact.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:34 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
No it's not. From an objective engineering and physics standpoint, sway control that relies on friction is 100% inferior to sway control that uses geometry. Nothing you say is going to change that fact.
100%
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:33 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
100%
Meaning always inferior. The degree of "practical" inferiority of friction based versus geometry based hitches would span a wide range between designs, but always inferior.

You can call geometry based hitches "over-kill", but they are still a better design for the purpose.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:48 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post

The Blue Ox is not a friction hitch.
And to prevent sway there needs to be foremost countervailing force .
At the end of the day all hitches need to be geometrical to work.

Milk is white regardless of what color the cow is.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:29 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:

I never mentioned the Blue Ox. That was your injection. Blue Ox is the best of the cheap hitches, but to imply that a pivot projection hitch isn't superior to a hitch with slightly canted spring bars applying a small force to keep the trailer in line is nonsense.

Someone ate up the marketing material.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:06 PM   #27
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:

The issue isn’t the counter force. It is about where it is applied, ie behind the rear bumper (with a resulting lever arm) or up at the rear axle.

The geometry is the difference. Yes, they all use geometry. One has the trailer pivoting on the ball itself. The other doesn’t.

Saying that all are the same is ridiculous. It appears you are drinking Koolaid, though, not milk.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:16 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Classic 30, GMC 2500HD diesel, Hensley - had it ten years and still seems a perfect
match!

Not saying others are not equally good - this is just what I know!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:48 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
The issue isn’t the counter force. It is about where it is applied, ie behind the rear bumper (with a resulting lever arm) or up at the rear axle.

The geometry is the difference. Yes, they all use geometry. One has the trailer pivoting on the ball itself. The other doesn’t.

Saying that all are the same is ridiculous. It appears you are drinking Koolaid, though, not milk.
I am sorry I forgot , the extra money charged for the really, really expensive hitches is for the little projectors inside them projecting the weight onto all available axles.

Reading your ramblings leads me to believe that you are the one who has imbibed on Koolaid.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:16 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Try before you buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoe7009 View Post
ProPride...worth every penny and fantastic customer service. Hard to explain until you experience it.
For some time we have followed thread(s) on ProPride versus other makes. The question I have, can a person try out a ProPride set up to justify price and claimed superior tow set up over others?

Best regards and safe travels
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:38 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbowman View Post
For some time we have followed thread(s) on ProPride versus other makes. The question I have, can a person try out a ProPride set up to justify price and claimed superior tow set up over others?

Have a look at the "Unofficial ProPride..."thread.

Personally, I did a 1-1 comparison between a Husky brand WD only hitch, and a ProPride system over the exact same course (up and down) the Cajon Pass (4,000+ feet) in Southern California. Night and day better with the ProPride system. It is a touch more challenging to hook up, but once it is installed, you do not have to mess with removing and storing the WD bars--they just stay on the Airstream, and you store the 'stinger' which is the drawbar that connects the tow vehicle and the rest of the hitch..

Downside, it's not cheap. But, as they say in the commercials,the peace of mind is priceless...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:30 PM   #32
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
I am sorry I forgot , the extra money charged for the really, really expensive hitches is for the little projectors inside them projecting the weight onto all available axles.
The linkage projects the lateral forces forward to the rear axle, not the weight.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:51 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Have a look at the "Unofficial ProPride..."thread.

Personally, I did a 1-1 comparison between a Husky brand WD only hitch, and a ProPride system over the exact same course (up and down) the Cajon Pass (4,000+ feet) in Southern California. Night and day better with the ProPride system. It is a touch more challenging to hook up, but once it is installed, you do not have to mess with removing and storing the WD bars--they just stay on the Airstream, and you store the 'stinger' which is the drawbar that connects the tow vehicle and the rest of the hitch..

Downside, it's not cheap. But, as they say in the commercials,the peace of mind is priceless...
I’ve hitched and unhitched my Hensley on steep driveways etc. once you figure how to set the angle, it’s painless.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 02:56 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cave Creek , Arizona
I've been in a sway-induced roll-over accident with a friction sway hitch where the TV and trailer were both totaled but my family had only minor injuries (seatbelts and airbags REALLY do save lives). I swore I would buy the best hitch available to avoid that happening again.

The issue of what is 'good enough' is a personal opinion, but what is better or best currently available is not an opinion.

A sway event is caused by a lateral force applied to the TV or the trailer. The weak point in the TV-trailer system is the coupling point inducing an oscillation between the two. A larger lateral force (a larger sway event) requires more damping then a smaller sway event to prevent an oscillation that causes loss of control. Sway events happen all the time, most are small, some are large.

In my roll-over, the lateral force could not be overcome by the damping of the friction hitch.

Each hitch type mentioned here will dampen a sway event, however when a large enough lateral force is encountered, each will reach their limit of oscillation dampening capability and a loss of control WILL happen.

When I bought our Classic, I looked at every hitch available including all details of their design (I'm an engineer). The Blue-Ox and Hensley are far superior than any friction hitch. That's a fact. Are they good enough? That's an opinion and up to you decide.

The Pro-pride mechanical structure which puts the pivot point at my rear axle rather than at the ball has truly superior damping capability compared to any other hitch on the market. That's a fact. Could I encounter a lateral force that's too much for the Pro-pride to dampen? Absolutely.

As I said, my decision was simple. I wanted the best hitch available to give me and my family the best chance when things go bad. Is it more expensive? yes - the mechanical mechanism, hinge points, bars, links, and jacks are more pieces with more cost. Is it worth it? That's an opinion.
Pete B55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:32 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Yes, for a $135K+ Airstream Classic a pivot projection hitch is a no-brainer.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:17 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbowman View Post

I doubt that can happen. But I can tell you an anecdotal story. My Classic was towed back to Jackson Center for some warranty issues by one of Airstream’s delivery guys who does it for a living. He had to take my stinger so he could hitch up my ProPride equipped trailer. Before he left he said, “I’ve never pulled an Airstream with one of these”. He had to tow it over 8 hours. When he arrived at JC he called to tell me my trailer was safe and sound. Then he said, “Now I see why you love the ProPride. Totally different than anything I’ve experienced. Gave me great confidence, semi-trucks didn’t move the trailer at all and occasionally I forgot the trailer was back there.”
But as others have said, many a mile has been traveled with other less expensive hitches. So, it is a budget and personal preference issue. For me, it was expensive, which gave me some pause, but ultimately I believe it was money well spent. It has been a pleasure to tow our Classic with total confidence. Plus, as I keep repeating, the customer service Sean, the owner of ProPride, provides is outstanding and adds value to the whole experience.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:05 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Classic 30 tow vehicle

Pete, that’s a heck of a hard way to have an experience that would lead to to upgrading the heck out of a trailer hitch. Mine was a bit more tame, but a little more wind and a bit less caution, I could have had a similar event going down 5,000+ feet on a steep grade on a windy day.

Night and day better with a ProPride. I’m glad you and your family made it through ok.

I knew an upgrade was a good idea, and I hope others learn from your experience. The naysayers and doubters are entitled to their opinion, but I’m ignoring them, since “it’s good enough” does not cut it when you are talking the safety of your family...

I spent over 20 years in industry working for Boeing, among others. Setting up things to be safe, reliable, and always controllable is s hallmark of the aviation industry. Why not insist on the same things in conveyances that you put your family in? Compared to the possible consequences, I’d say a few or a couple thousand bucks for a rock-solid towing experience is worth it.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote