Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2018, 03:36 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Chirping noise

Any ideas? Batteries out and have been for a month. Battery out of smoke detector. No power at all to trailer. I’ve been over a number of times, but today I heard a chirping noise, like a battery die in a smoke detector then after an hour it stopped?

Thanks
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:53 PM   #2
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
You mention the battery had been removed from the smoke detector. What about the CO2 detector? Smoke detector is normally in kitchen. CO2 near bed area.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
All smoke detectors? Had the same thing happen to me. The bedroom smoke detector was the culprit.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:42 PM   #4
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
All smoke detectors? Had the same thing happen to me. The bedroom smoke detector was the culprit.

Mike
That one is Carbon Monoxide detector. Just for clarification.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
That one is Carbon Monoxide detector. Just for clarification.
What I know is that it was round, beige, and needed a new 9v battery.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Old 08-05-2018, 05:14 PM   #6
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
What I know is that it was round, beige, and needed a new 9v battery.

Mike
Cute. Blissful ignorance can be deadly.

I mentioned it for good reason. They are supposed to be replaced at various intervals. They are stamped on the back with their 'expire' date, both smoke and CO. So I thought worth mentioning simply to help avoid someone replacing a CO detector with a smoke detector--thinking it is a smoke detector. They often look identical. Or more likely, someone buys a used trailer and the detector is missing because the PO took it down rather than replace the battery. Like what happens in many, many homes. So the new owner goes and buys a smoke detector to replace it, not a CO detector--and winds up sleeping in a trailer without one. Arguably, a CO detector is much more important than a smoke detector, given that our trailers have stoves, ovens, furnaces, and water heaters--which all produce C0, which is odorless, colorless, and very very deadly.

Rather than just knowing that it takes a 9v battery, and making a joke about it, it also might be helpful for you to understand the difference between the two very similar-looking detectors in your trailer, for the sake of you and your family, should the CO detector go off one night, and not seeing any smoke or fire, you simply take the battery out thinking it's a malfunctioning 'smoke' detector...and then go back to sleep...forever.

So for all those reading who don't know it: Detector in bedroom is Carbon Monoxide; in main coach, smoke. Always worth a quick look to make sure as well...Airstream is known for screw ups in the factory, and if you bought used, did the PO replace a CO detector with a smoke detector? If trailer is 5 or more years old, check on the back and replace if expired. The sensors do lose their sensitivity. And of course...fresh batteries every season or twice a year in year-round locales--chirping or no chirping.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:25 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Cute. Blissful ignorance can be deadly.

I mentioned it for good reason. They are supposed to be replaced at various intervals. They are stamped on the back with their 'expire' date, both smoke and CO2. So I thought worth mentioning simply to help avoid someone replacing a CO2 detector with a smoke detector--thinking it is a smoke detector. They often look identical. Or more likely, someone buys a used trailer and the detector is missing because the PO took it down rather than replace the battery. Like what happens in many, many homes. So the new owner goes and buys a smoke detector to replace it, not a CO2 detector--and winds up sleeping in a trailer without one. Arguably, a CO2 detector is much more important than a smoke detector, given that our trailers have stoves, ovens, furnaces, and water heaters--which all produce C02, which is odorless, colorless, and very very deadly.

Rather than just knowing that it takes a 9v battery, and making a joke about it, it also might be helpful for you to understand the difference between the two, for the sake of you and your family should the CO2 detector go off one night, and not seeing any smoke or fire, you simply take the battery out thinking it's a malfunctioning 'smoke' detector...and then go back to sleep...forever.
Just to clarify, it's a CO detector. Carbon Monoxide. Not CO2, Carbon Dioxide. Carbon Dioxide is very obvious when you get a bunch of it, you can't breath. Carbon Monoxide is the only thing your body will ingest faster than, and in preference to, oxygen. And the symptoms are so subtle as to be deadly.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:34 PM   #8
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Just to clarify, it's a CO detector. Carbon Monoxide. Not CO2, Carbon Dioxide. Carbon Dioxide is very obvious when you get a bunch of it, you can't breath. Carbon Monoxide is the only thing your body will ingest faster than, and in preference to, oxygen. And the symptoms are so subtle as to be deadly.
Good catch, thanks. As a SCUBA diver, we are always talking about CO2 so I always write that automatically. I was able to correct my second post :-)
Old 08-05-2018, 06:13 PM   #9
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
The propane alarm runs off the house batteries. If they go dead (or removed) the alarm will beep.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:29 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
We only have one ceiling detector, which is up front not ceiling and is a smoke detector, battery is out. Nothing in bedroom. Propane detector is under fridge and wired into 12v system. No CO detector. 2017 Classic
Old 08-05-2018, 06:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
The propane alarm runs off the house batteries. If they go dead (or removed) the alarm will beep.

Never beeped before and when in storage I always disconnect the 12v batteries. Thanks
Old 08-05-2018, 08:25 PM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
We only have one ceiling detector, which is up front not ceiling and is a smoke detector, battery is out. Nothing in bedroom. Propane detector is under fridge and wired into 12v system. No CO detector. 2017 Classic
Your trailer is required to have one, and is supposed to be in the bedroom, mounted on the streetside aft-facing wall that is part of the closet assembly there on a twin model, or the wall shared by the bathroom on a double model. It will be fairly high up.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:31 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Your trailer is required to have one, and is supposed to be in the bedroom, mounted on the streetside aft-facing wall that is part of the closet assembly there on a twin model, or the wall shared by the bathroom on a double model. It will be fairly high up.
Must be a joke, it's in the closet, yes, in the handing closet in the bedroom. I went over after your post as my wife mentioned she thinks she saw it in the closet, but did not think much about it.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:34 AM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Must be a joke, it's in the closet, yes, in the handing closet in the bedroom. I went over after your post as my wife mentioned she thinks she saw it in the closet, but did not think much about it.
Glad we could help...
Old 08-07-2018, 07:56 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Any ideas? Batteries out and have been for a month. Battery out of smoke detector. No power at all to trailer. I’ve been over a number of times, but today I heard a chirping noise, like a battery die in a smoke detector then after an hour it stopped?

Thanks

We have a similar issue. However, ours occurs when taking a shower. We a get a single beep every 20 to 30 seconds. What’s even more weird is it only happens when my wife showers. Never happens when I do. Once the shower is off no more beeps.
I’ve been all over the trailer trying to find the source while she is showering. It seems to be coming from right at the shower. Very strange!
Old 08-07-2018, 02:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoe7009 View Post
We have a similar issue. However, ours occurs when taking a shower. We a get a single beep every 20 to 30 seconds. What’s even more weird is it only happens when my wife showers. Never happens when I do. Once the shower is off no more beeps.
I’ve been all over the trailer trying to find the source while she is showering. It seems to be coming from right at the shower. Very strange!
Wonder if your chirping is a hidden camera sending signals back someplace. Ha, Ha.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:53 PM   #17
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoe7009 View Post
Where is the water heater located in your trailer? It's possible she takes slightly longer showers than you, and the water heater turns on sooner when she is in there. The exhaust may be making its way inside from the vent fan running in the shower pulling it in.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Quote:
Wonder if your chirping is a hidden camera sending signals back someplace. Ha, Ha.
I'd make a joke about this but some people seem to get testy about this stuff.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Old 08-08-2018, 09:40 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Where is the water heater located in your trailer? It's possible she takes slightly longer showers than you, and the water heater turns on sooner when she is in there. The exhaust may be making its way inside from the vent fan running in the shower pulling it in.
overlander I can speak for mojo, there is no water heater. There is a boiler under the front, rear facing dinette seat opposite the kitchen area. His unit has the Alde system.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:11 PM   #20
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Hi

It's not *supposed* to be in side a closet. It should be out in the main cabin of the trailer. That way it can actually do it's job correctly. It should be moved if it's in a closet.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote