Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2017, 12:26 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Cumberland , Maryland
Bike Rack

Early Happy New Year to Everyone! Now that I that out of the way lets talk bike racks for a Classic 30' 2018.
Who has one?
Is it attached to trailer?
Is it attached to TV?
Did you buy it?
Did you build it?
I'm trying to get some opinions and or good advise before I do something stupid. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Airhead2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:03 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
https://store.airstream.com/product/...lassicexcella/
Old 12-31-2017, 02:11 PM   #3
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
With a rack mounted permanently to the trailer, you are limited to riding only where you park your Airstream. Being able to carry on or in your TV let's you take them to ride wherever you want.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:12 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We bought two Montague folding full size bikes. We fold them, put them in their zip up cases and carry them inside the trailer. We love ‘em.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:14 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Cumberland , Maryland
Haven't heard to many good things about the bike rake for the back of the trailer, but have not checked the specs to see if it would do.

Absolutely agree with the flexibility of having bikes on TV and was thinking of attaching a hitch on the front of TV , but have not looked to see if that is possible.

Never thought about getting a more compact bike or a bike you can compact. Might be a good option.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:21 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead2018 View Post
Haven't heard to many good things about the bike rake for the back of the trailer, but have not checked the specs to see if it would do.

Absolutely agree with the flexibility of having bikes on TV and was thinking of attaching a hitch on the front of TV , but have not looked to see if that is possible.

Never thought about getting a more compact bike or a bike you can compact. Might be a good option.
What we do with our bike, and the trailer, is simply throw an old towel or blanket onto the bed or dinette, and lay the bike, chain side out, against the towel or blanket. We've never had a problem with damage, and very seldom does the bike move anywhere.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:40 AM   #7
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Airhead2018-

Love your handle! Nice Work.

FWIW, we have had the Fiamma bike rack mounted to the back of our 2014 Flying Cloud since delivery, and we have been very happy with it. It is convenient, easy and quick to load the bikes when properly adjusted, and it has not let us down. We hardly ever leave without the bikes, it's just too convenient not to have them.

Now, the rack has some quirks. It had better be mounted correctly - meaning the brackets in the right places to catch the ribs and the structural supports it needs. You need to read and follow the instructions for use. You need to respect the weight limits. You need to seal the screw and rivet holes and rivet heads for the upper support arms where they penetrate the shell.

That's pretty much it....... Oh, and it does take away from the great looks of the rear of an Airstream (can I say that here). Kinda ruins the curves......AND it can partially block your taillights depending on placement of your bikes.

I still like it though. Hope this helps.
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:16 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
We have a large storage compartment at the rear of our trailer. To me the Fiamma rack would really interfere with access to that compartment. If Fiamma ever made it where it would fold down then I would be a player.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:26 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
My front receiver holds a Swagman rack with two bikes perfectly. There is added functionality for a storage platform, winch unit, or even hitching a light boat or trailer to move around for parking and launching. I haven’t weighed with the bikes loaded but there may be some advantage in having and extra 50 plus pounds on the front of the truck.
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:02 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Ramara , Ontario
Check out Arvika bike racks at Arvika.ca. They have a mount for the A/S trailer tongue that will put your bikes above the propane tanks. Also, CanAm has devised a modification to the Arvika rack that uses ZipDee awning parts and clevis pins to support an Arvika rack on the back of an airstream. I have the CanAm mod and it works great. It’s also easily removed and can be unclipped at the top to tilt when you need access to the rear compartment.
Kevin
KSA63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:02 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120315-00017.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	301679Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120328-00034.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	301680

Arvika tongue rack example

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:32 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Cumberland , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetguy View Post
My front receiver holds a Swagman rack with two bikes perfectly. There is added functionality for a storage platform, winch unit, or even hitching a light boat or trailer to move around for parking and launching. I haven’t weighed with the bikes loaded but there may be some advantage in having and extra 50 plus pounds on the front of the truck.
I was just checking out a front receiver for the TV. Not bad at about $145 and will give us plenty of other options for use. We are leaning that way since we already have everything else needed and the hitch is a bolt on no brainer. Does anyone have any cons to this train of thought? We can see the pluses.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:32 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead2018 View Post
I was just checking out a front receiver for the TV. Not bad at about $145 and will give us plenty of other options for use. We are leaning that way since we already have everything else needed and the hitch is a bolt on no brainer. Does anyone have any cons to this train of thought? We can see the pluses.

Only negatives to me are constantly having to clean the bugs and road grime off the bicycles and the potential for interference with my headlights and front parking sensors.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:42 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoe7009 View Post
We bought two Montague folding full size bikes. We fold them, put them in their zip up cases and carry them inside the trailer. We love ‘em.

Joe, which model(s) did you buy. When staying for long periods like we will do starting next week, if we can get our trailer out of the ice and snow) we buy bikes at a bike shop and then donate them when we leave. We have an Arvika, front over the propane but find it's takes too much for these old injured shoulders to keep taking on and off.

Thanks

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:48 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Joe, which model(s) did you buy. When staying for long periods like we will do starting next week, if we can get our trailer out of the ice and snow) we buy bikes at a bike shop and then donate them when we leave. We have an Arvika, front over the propane but find it's takes too much for these old injured shoulders to keep taking on and off.

Thanks

Bud

The Paratrooper Pro for me and the Paratrooper for my wife. We chose mountain bikes over the street bikes because we stay near the beach in Jacksonville and wanted the larger tires for stability in softer terrain. The rear racks flip down to become the kickstands for the bikes. So far we love the bikes. Front suspensions, disc brakes, aluminum frames and they fold! A little pricey but I believe worth the money.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:44 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoe7009 View Post
The Paratrooper Pro for me and the Paratrooper for my wife. We chose mountain bikes over the street bikes because we stay near the beach in Jacksonville and wanted the larger tires for stability in softer terrain. The rear racks flip down to become the kickstands for the bikes. So far we love the bikes. Front suspensions, disc brakes, aluminum frames and they fold! A little pricey but I believe worth the money.

Thanks got your email as well. Appreciate the info.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote