Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2017, 03:01 PM   #1
Quilts&Brews

2017 30' Classic
Marlton , New Jersey
Back from our first trip out .... not sure of what to do ???

Hello again,

We just returned from our first ever trip, glamping, with our '17 Classic. (By the way anyone who has not experienced the little town of Cape Charles Va should, relaxing and quite place). Back on subject, we utilized full hook-ups during our stay and now back home. We are headed back out in 10 days for a longer stay, do I empty the hot water tank over our 10 days at home or is what water that is in the tank ok until then and usable during our next outing?

Thank you ...

Jed
Pops1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You should be fine.

Maggie
Old 04-05-2017, 04:37 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Swedesboro , New Jersey
Hello pops1814

I'm almost your neighbor, living in Swedesboro NJ. About 1 mile from Camping World.....My wife and I are planning a fall trip and just last night we're looking at Cape Charles Va, as a stop on the way back from N C.

Where did you stay? Any particular site?
We have looked online at several : including: Cherrystone / Virginia Landing and Kiptopeke State Park.

Just 2 of us retirees a 22fb Bambi and a Sheltie puppy, thanks for any info you can pass our way.. Dave
dlkershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I never even thought about it to be honest.....we never drained our hot water tank all last season and it was never an issue.
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hello Jed - thanks for the location tip!

Most of our camping is at sites with city water which one assumes is treated (bleach) - or - if I'm using onboard fresh water, I know I've sanitized the tank and there's an appropriate amount of bleach. So I never empty the WH until the end of the season for winterizing. Never had a problem with that approach.

Happy camping!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:37 AM   #6
Quilts&Brews

2017 30' Classic
Marlton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlkershaw View Post
I'm almost your neighbor, living in Swedesboro NJ. About 1 mile from Camping World.....My wife and I are planning a fall trip and just last night we're looking at Cape Charles Va, as a stop on the way back from N C.

Where did you stay? Any particular site?

We have looked online at several : including: Cherrystone / Virginia Landing and Kiptopeke State Park.

Just 2 of us retirees a 22fb Bambi and a Sheltie puppy, thanks for any info you can pass our way.. Dave

Dave

Please understand we are truly first timers, this past weekend was our first experience camping in any form specially with a 30 foot Airstream. So our input could be missing many important aspects of camping.

We stayed at Sunset Beach, this location was very nice all facilities appeared to be brand new as were the electrical hookups. The showers facilities were spotless, clean and comfortable. They have a restaurant/bar on their beach deck that promotes Seafood and good beer; my wife asked for shrimp on here salad they did not have any. She asked for oysters they did not have any. My beer glasses, which I am a craft beer nut, were only 3/4 full because the lady behind the bar did not know how to pour and simply shrugged off the issue with an " I am sorry" but still charged full price.

We explored the other facilities in the area, Cherrystone and Kiptopeke State Park.

Kiptopeke State Park was nice, their facilities are situated in a nice tree lined section of the park. We will try this place at sometime in the future on our way to the OBX.

Cherrystone was very nice with sites looking directly out onto the Chesapeake. Which we have already booked for a long weekend next mouth.

FYI ... coming north from NC just this side of the Chesapeake Bridge is a large rest area which allows overnight stops.

Our favorite must stop at location for great seafood and local beers, on our way to OBX, is The Great Machipongo Clam Shack on 13 just 25 north of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.

Hope this info helps

Jed
Old 04-06-2017, 04:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
An answer to your question and to all the helpers with NOT 2017 Classics.

Yes drain the hot water tank by all means. This should be done anyway about every two weeks to a month - period.

The hot water jacket in the system you have and we have is only 2.5 gallons, it's a jacket within a larger boiler which also carries the Alde fluid to provide your heat. At the top of the separate hot water jacket there must be an air bubble. This bubble dissipates over time and becomes smaller and smaller negatively impacting the ability of this small volume of water to provide sufficient hot water. Therefore, whenever we are using our trailer full time we dump whenever I am not doing anything, after two weeks as well as anytime we put the trailer away at home for any length of period. WE DO NOT dump the Alde fluid, this takes place every two years of use.

The dump valve is under the dinette seat closest to the front of the trailer and is a flip valve, depending on the age of your trailer the base is either blue (older) or white (newer). Easy to do, I also open all the in coach drains and let them drain as well, but outside water must be shut off.

Good luck

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:48 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Swedesboro , New Jersey
Thanks for the info

Good morning Jed, Thanks for taking time to respond..... newbie or not info is always helpful. Your a brave man taking a 30footer on I- 95 south on your first trip... We are only in our 2nd year so we are still learning also. Purchased from Colonial in fall 2015..We are both retired teachers... (Maple Shade and Voorhees ).
We will be traveling to visit family and friends in Virginia, North and South Carolina in September... based on your experience we will book into Sunset Beach... planning to take the Cape May Lewis Ferry back to SJ...another new experience...anything to avoid I-95... Thanks again... Dave
dlkershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
An answer to your question and to all the helpers with NOT 2017 Classics.

Yes drain the hot water tank by all means. This should be done anyway about every two weeks to a month - period.

The hot water jacket in the system you have and we have is only 2.5 gallons, it's a jacket within a larger boiler which also carries the Alde fluid to provide your heat. At the top of the separate hot water jacket there must be an air bubble. This bubble dissipates over time and becomes smaller and smaller negatively impacting the ability of this small volume of water to provide sufficient hot water. Therefore, whenever we are using our trailer full time we dump whenever I am not doing anything, after two weeks as well as anytime we put the trailer away at home for any length of period. WE DO NOT dump the Alde fluid, this takes place every two years of use.

The dump valve is under the dinette seat closest to the front of the trailer and is a flip valve, depending on the age of your trailer the base is either blue (older) or white (newer). Easy to do, I also open all the in coach drains and let them drain as well, but outside water must be shut off.

Good luck

Bud

Excellent point! My bad - I didn't realize there's a different WH system in the OP's trailer! Ignore my advice earlier! Most do that anyway, but since the OP is new.... [emoji23]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:17 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
I learned from having several boats that sometimes we would get a horrible smell which turned out to be Hydrogen gas (explosive) from the Hot Water tanks. I am not a chemist so I do not know why this would occur. I had three different boats that did this. Because of that I got into the habit of draining them after each trip. I do this with the AS also. I think the fresh water tank would be fine to leave water in though.
rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:23 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Beachburg , Ontario
I have been RVing for over FOURTY YEARS in AIRSTREAM and SOBs
I have never drained a hot water tank other than to winterise the unit.

What could the purpose be??
Unless of course you want to drink hot water !!!

Am I missing something ???
Old 04-06-2017, 12:00 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
All info is great but, you need to make sure that you check the lugs nuts, must be check first 100 miles then 500 to 1000 miles to the specified lbs.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:27 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
draing hot water tank

I drain the hot water tank if we don't intend to go camping for a couple of weeks. Because:
1. The inside of the tank is aluminum and if you have chlorine in the water it will react with the aluminum.
2. We have been trailering since the mid 70's and in all those years I had to replace the hot water tank just once. We have a well and therefore no chlorine is in the water but many campgrounds supply you with chlorinated water.
3. I also feed a wick into the outlet and drain all the water out. You would be surprised how much water remains in the bottom of the tank after you've drained it.
Wolf146
wolf146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:35 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops1814 View Post
Hello again,

We just returned from our first ever trip, glamping, with our '17 Classic. (By the way anyone who has not experienced the little town of Cape Charles Va should, relaxing and quite place). Back on subject, we utilized full hook-ups during our stay and now back home. We are headed back out in 10 days for a longer stay, do I empty the hot water tank over our 10 days at home or is what water that is in the tank ok until then and usable during our next outing?

Thank you ...

Jed
Jed,

Glad to hear you enjoyed your first camping trip with your Classic.

To respond to your question: I have never emptied the water tank on any of the Campers I have owned between trips. If you are concerned about bacteria in the water, the heat from the water tank, once reignited and reaches shut off temp, will kill off any bacteria remaining in the tank.

hmm come to think about it, I never have drunk any hot water from the water heater tank.

Another thought. I believe I have read that in home emergency situations where gas, water supply is cut off, a safe supply of water is from you hot water tank.
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:15 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post
Jed,

Glad to hear you enjoyed your first camping trip with your Classic.

To respond to your question: I have never emptied the water tank on any of the Campers I have owned between trips. If you are concerned about bacteria in the water, the heat from the water tank, once reignited and reaches shut off temp, will kill off any bacteria remaining in the tank.

hmm come to think about it, I never have drunk any hot water from the water heater tank.

Another thought. I believe I have read that in home emergency situations where gas, water supply is cut off, a safe supply of water is from you hot water tank.

BUT, you don't have a 2017 Classic - these are totally different heating and hot water systems. The owners manual specifically says to drain when not in use. This 2017 Classic is our fourth Airstream, like most of the answers in here we never bothered with the hot water heater until winterizing or de-winterizing, but not with these babies. They need special care and attention.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:17 PM   #16
Quilts&Brews

2017 30' Classic
Marlton , New Jersey
Quote:
BUT, you don't have a 2017 Classic - these are totally different heating and hot water systems. The owners manual specifically says to drain when not in use. This 2017 Classic is our fourth Airstream, like most of the answers in here we never bothered with the hot water heater until winterizing or de-winterizing, but not with these babies. They need special care and attention.

Thank you all for the passionate input, it is obvious we all love our AS's.

I have taken the road of caution and emptied the tank, it took all of 15 seconds to accomplish.

Thanks again and I am sure you will be helping me again in the near future.

Jed
Old 04-07-2017, 12:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Jed do you have the Alde owners manual? If not I can send it to you, Airstream does not include in the packet of information
Old 04-07-2017, 12:30 PM   #18
Quilts&Brews

2017 30' Classic
Marlton , New Jersey
Quote:
Jed do you have the Alde owners manual? If not I can send it to you, Airstream does not include in the packet of information

Sure .... Pops1814@gmail.com ... thank you
Old 04-09-2017, 03:55 PM   #19
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
What Bud said. The 2017 Classic is totally different than the earlier years. If you want the Alde system to work properly you must drain the hot water tank regularly and I would certainly drain it completely when not in use. Or you can listen to those who do not have the 2017 and hope for the best.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:44 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Norman , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops1814 View Post
Sure .... Pops1814@gmail.com ... thank you

Would it be possible to post a link to the owner's manual?
twinkie2 is offline   Reply With Quote