Old 10-28-2015, 01:25 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minipad View Post
Now when the door closes, the bottom of the door is entirely supported on the pex.
I like this solution, especially the full length support aspect!

I too had the shower door problem and the factory sent me the acrylic block to fix it my self. I couldn't get that to work. However, I was able to facilitate a similar fix using a tubular nylon spacer I purchased from the hardware store, countersunk one end and screwed just under the door hinge. Had to remove the door to replace the long horizontal screws which bend and cause the sagging (they sent me those, too).

Greg

Old 10-28-2015, 01:28 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Center Moriches , New York
Sadly, too many RV builders (even the high end builders) think of Quality Control ~ Quality Assurance as an afterthought. It ALWAYS costs more, when you don't get things right the first time. Add in the bad will that shoddy work generates among buyers and, you wind up with situation we're currently in. Each issue / problem is actually an instance where an employee needs to be educated / retrained and, until such retraining happens, the employee is likely to continue turning out substandard work. Final inspections need to be much more rigorous than most factories currently do.

Dealer inspections also need to be stepped up BEFORE they present an RV to it's new owner.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Another reason to hang to the one I've got-
Why go through this again?
I could never afford a new one anyway.
The price has increased 40% since 2013-

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:16 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
Good for you, yes my experiences at Jackson Center are like yours. Hang in there, I am over 2 years into the process, about 5 trips to Jackson Center. My trailer is working good now.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:35 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2015 28' Land Yacht
Houston , Texas
What is Whit Pex? Were can I purchase some.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:15 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
As one of the first things taught in SixSigma class, Quality by inspection is always the most expensive and least effective means.

Quality needs to be designed in, not inspected out.

Greg
Old 10-28-2015, 05:32 PM   #21
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I continue to shake my head at the ongoing shower door issue. What they come up with is a "work around" for a very, very poor design. The shower door is basically suspended from the top of the door by a cheap, about 3/4 inch screw that inevitably breaks. While the door may work in a static location (like your house!), the ongoing motion of a trailer on the move creates enough stress to either work the screw loose, or just break it off. The solution is a sturdier hinge mechanism. I solved this problem in my '12 28' International with a Sterling shower door that uses as pivot mechanism. I fully expect that at some point, I'll be spending around $140 for a similar door for my '15 Classic. Any decent process engineer would have analyzed all the shower door defects and fixed this years ago. The disconnect between those who REPAIR and those who MANUFACTURE is hard to believe.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:34 PM   #22
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Is there a thread about a before and after of these various fixes for the door? I'm not sure if my '07 has the same design
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:51 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Being a car enthusiast, I'm reading this thread in disbelief. Only if Airstream had half the QC of car companies... We bought our last 2 cars new and in 9 years (total) of ownership and over 100K miles, we have had to do a grand total of 1 repair (knock on wood).

Its ridiculous for owners of a $100K+ trailer to have to travel half way around the country, repeatedly, to have these well documented and chronic issues fixed. Based on what I have read on this forum, these QC issues were there 5 years ago, 10 years ago and even before. Airstreams of the 70's and 80's had the rear separation/sag issues. I can venture a guess that QC has been absent since Wally passed. Only if Airstream followed his motto: "Let's not make changes only improvements".
Old 10-28-2015, 06:56 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
Being a car enthusiast, I'm reading this thread in disbelief. Only if Airstream had half the QC of car companies... We bought our last 2 cars new and in 9 years (total) of ownership and over 100K miles, we have had to do a grand total of 1 repair (knock on wood).

Its ridiculous for owners of a $100K+ trailer to have to travel half way around the country, repeatedly, to have these well documented and chronic issues fixed. Based on what I have read on this forum, these QC issues were there 5 years ago, 10 years ago and even before. Airstreams of the 70's and 80's had the rear separation/sag issues. I can venture a guess that QC has been absent since Wally passed. Only if Airstream followed his motto: "Let's not make changes only improvements".
You said it! I agree 100%
Don
2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:12 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuke
A few custom touches that I had added turned out to be a little more involved than we expected, but all in all everything went well.
Care to tell us what custom touches you added? I'm always looking for new ideas!
Old 10-28-2015, 07:13 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuke View Post
A few custom touches that I had added turned out to be a little more involved than we expected, but all in all everything went well.
Care to tell us what custom touches you added? I'm always looking for new ideas!
Old 10-28-2015, 08:22 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
One reason I am so devoted to my Tundra and Toyota as a whole is that in 8 years of ownership I have only done 2 maintenance items outside of oil changes and tire rotations- 1 accessory drive belt and 1 set of tires- still routine maintenance-
No RV manufacturer makes an RV that good.
My biggest take-away from the factory tour was the junk, clutter, and lack of organization- extension cords, air hoses, and parts strewn all about all over the floor to the point that the people taking the tour literally have to step over and around- tight, cramped spaces-
Airstream is obviously not ISO 9,000 certified.
I have toured the Corvette plant in Bowling Green, KY and it was pristine.
I have worked in many plants and mills that were very organized, from fork lift manufacturers to clothing manufacturers to a hair jelly factory and they were all pristine.
We need to bring them boys on down to Mississippi to show them how to straighten/organize a factory/warehouse!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:55 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Back From Jackson Center!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minipad View Post
I had this problem with my 2013. I didn't want to mess with going to the dealer or JC so I fixed it as follows:

1) Cut a piece of 1/2" white pex to the width of the door opening, from the hinge to the opposite side.

2) Drilled four 1/4" holes through just one side of the pex and all in a line, spaced evenly over the length.

3) Placed the pex across the bottom of the door opening with the holes up and mounted it with some stainless screws by drilling/screwing straight down through the 1/4" holes in the pex.

4) Removed the whimpy piece of weather striping from the bottom of the door.

Now when the door closes, the bottom of the door is entirely supported on the pex. It actually leaks less than it did before (from shower spray or splashing) and after many miles, no more shower door problems. When the door is open, it also is supported by the pex because the pex is placed right up against the hinge pin. The piece of white pex is barely noticeable.

This is very interesting. Would it be possible to post a couple pictures of what you have done

Thanks
Doug

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums