Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-19-2019, 05:39 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Crested Butte , Colorado
Angry AT&T Unlimited Plan Changes

I assume most Classic owners got this Christmas gift from our friends at AT&T.

Updated Data Plans from AT&T

AT&T has informed Airstream that it will be retiring unlimited data plans, including the plan made available for your Airstream Classic.

We are communicating these plan updates in advance so that you have time to make informed decisions about your connectivity options and so you know that remote control and monitoring for Airstream Smart Control will not be impacted by these plan changes.

I never got my one year free Internet from AT&T and Airstream despite lots of phone calls and fussing at Airstream and my dealer. I finally purchased a one-year unlimited data plan last May, finally giving up on my efforts to get my free year. Then last month I got the following email from AT&T.

AT&T DataConnect Pass Account Cancelled
Dear Valued Customer,

Account Login: *************@gmail.com
Mobile Data Number is 352-581-9655

Your data plan was canceled at your request or because it has been inactive for an extended period of time.

If you wish to re-subscribe, please visit www.att.com/buyasession.

Thank You,
AT&T

Keep in mind that I purchased a one year plan for the full price upfront and that AT&T canceled my plan without refunding any of my annual fees. I didn't request it be canceled. When I finally got through to AT&T, they confirmed that they had canceled it because I hadn't used it for a month. I explained that this data plan was for a travel trailer that I used occasionally for recreation and did not live in full time. I was never able to get to a supervisor and the customer service folks somewhere in southeast Asia were not empowered to solve problems.

Not only is the PepLink a poor choice of equipment for a number of reasons frequently discussed on the forum but being locked into such a poor carrier adds insult to injury on such a large investment.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:53 AM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froglips View Post
I assume most Classic owners got this Christmas gift from our friends at AT&T.

Updated Data Plans from AT&T

AT&T has informed Airstream that it will be retiring unlimited data plans, including the plan made available for your Airstream Classic.

We are communicating these plan updates in advance so that you have time to make informed decisions about your connectivity options and so you know that remote control and monitoring for Airstream Smart Control will not be impacted by these plan changes.

I never got my one year free Internet from AT&T and Airstream despite lots of phone calls and fussing at Airstream and my dealer. I finally purchased a one-year unlimited data plan last May, finally giving up on my efforts to get my free year. Then last month I got the following email from AT&T.

Let me tell you....we signed up /switched to ATT from another cell carrier. Three markets including Chicagoland got a promo (or was suppose to get a promo) for free home wired Internet for life (as long as you maintain at east one phone with ATT wireless). For us, home UVerse was $50/mo, so we bit.

That was about a year and a half ago, about a dozen calls and credits from ATT (not to mention about 8 hours on the phone for those dozen or so calls) later and guess what, last week get a $70 bill for home Internet and yet another call to get the promo thing fixed and another credit issued after a 45 minute phone call. SIGH!

The services once you get them going are great, but man, what a crazy ride it can be keeping it on the rails. I have found varying degrees of problems with most utilities as well.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 02:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Hope they partner with Verizon and figure out a solution for ATT hardware. Sorry you all have to go through this transition and it’s not grandfathered in for current subscribers.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:48 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
https://forum.loveyourrv.com/discuss...c2-by-winegard

Check out this video on At@t offering unlimited data for $360 a year ,, New hardware needed.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
went with ATT 40+ years ago...still, find myself calling to argue over "promised" changes to my bill, and actual bill...takes at least 20-60 min to get issues resolved, and "credit"...most times talking with the Philipino ATT folks...sometimes I luck out and talk with Atlanta or close to there..
I was close to getting the ATT Connect package, but now the weBoost package seems more of a value...don't need a special carrier...I am looking into getting this one. ATT can be manipulated for cell and TV service costs, (I can't get their WiFi where I live); but, what a hassle!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 04:15 PM   #6
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Laurence, the Winegard ToGo plan is also kaput. AT&T drove a stake through the heart of that one as well.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
All is not lost (ATT is frigxxx lost) and you can put any provider's simm in the Peplink with whatever plan you can get. If you are a Classic owner, just don't remove the other simm that controls your connect system. That will remain running paid for by Airstream.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:46 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Star , Idaho
Personally, haven't heard anything from AT&T regarding my Connect plan, and all is good. When I look at the Airstream Connect link, I do see changes. When I read the fine print, it looks as though the plan will be grandfathered.

(**Only available on devices renewed or activated before 11:59p ET on January 15, 2020)

Here's the link to the Airstream page. https://www.airstream.com/connected/

I'll just monitor and adjust to whatever happens.
StarCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:18 AM   #9
2019 - 33' Classic

2019 33' Classic
Grand Junction , Colorado
Following...thank you!
RickyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 10:00 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
LEES SUMMIT , Missouri
I'm also following. Thanks for the input.
dechampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 10:43 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

King George , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarCamper View Post
Personally, haven't heard anything from AT&T regarding my Connect plan, and all is good. When I look at the Airstream Connect link, I do see changes. When I read the fine print, it looks as though the plan will be grandfathered.

(**Only available on devices renewed or activated before 11:59p ET on January 15, 2020)

Here's the link to the Airstream page. https://www.airstream.com/connected/

I'll just monitor and adjust to whatever happens.

It is definitely not grandfathered ... that statement refers to the fact that any plan that expires after January 15 will not be renewed with the current unlimited plan. AS needs to open up the router so that we can get alternatives for this otherwise useless system they sold us!
hotrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 12:12 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
LEES SUMMIT , Missouri
Just renewed my unlimited data plan with AT&T

Here is one of the FAQs:

What does this mean for me? AT&T’s Unlimited Adventure Plans activated or renewed before January 16, 2020, will be valid until the one-year anniversary of their activation. Once the 12-month term ends, customers will have the opportunity to purchase currently available data plans from AT&T.

So . . . I just got onto the AT&T website and prepaid for another year of unlimited data plan which will kick-in after my existing unlimited plan expires. Because I renewed before the January 16, 2020 cutoff, I still was able to take advantage of the existing $360 unlimited data plan.

Bottom line, if you want to continue having unlimited data (for another year after your existing unlimited plan expires), renew before January 16, 2020.
Old 12-20-2019, 12:24 PM   #13
SHE SHED

2019 30' Classic
Brooklyn , New York
Here's what I did, and I'm not sure if it will work, or I just threw money out the window. I have the 12 month unlimited on my 2019 Classic. I did receive the email about the plan being discontinued. I started my plan on 5/26/2019 and it was to expire on 5/26/2020. I called AT&T to extend the plan one year and what a nightmare that turned out to be. First of all, no one speaks clear English. I was first transferred to automobile section, then to the "Airstream Department" which was an answering machine. I called back, and had to have the person at the other end repeat, and spell everything he said because he did not speak clear English. After an hour and a half of being in the United Nations with no translation headphones I gave up, thanked the rep and I went to https://buyasession.att.com/sbd/ShowLogin.action , my original purchase site, clicked on "Manage Your Data" and purchased another 12 month unlimited plan. I do not know if it will be an extension of my plan, or a replacent. Considering I used 400GB this year I will be ahead if the newer plans if it is a replacement. I did receive a receipt, my credit card was billed, but it is still saying pending on the account I logged into. We'll see.
trikdacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 12:57 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Star , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by trikdacy View Post
Here's what I did, and I'm not sure if it will work, or I just threw money out the window. I have the 12 month unlimited on my 2019 Classic. I did receive the email about the plan being discontinued. I started my plan on 5/26/2019 and it was to expire on 5/26/2020. I called AT&T to extend the plan one year and what a nightmare that turned out to be. First of all, no one speaks clear English. I was first transferred to automobile section, then to the "Airstream Department" which was an answering machine. I called back, and had to have the person at the other end repeat, and spell everything he said because he did not speak clear English. After an hour and a half of being in the United Nations with no translation headphones I gave up, thanked the rep and I went to https://buyasession.att.com/sbd/ShowLogin.action , my original purchase site, clicked on "Manage Your Data" and purchased another 12 month unlimited plan. I do not know if it will be an extension of my plan, or a replacent. Considering I used 400GB this year I will be ahead if the newer plans if it is a replacement. I did receive a receipt, my credit card was billed, but it is still saying pending on the account I logged into. We'll see.
Let us know how that turns out. I gave it a look, and the part where it says "selected plan will start immediately" caused me to pause.

Auto Renew Plans
5GB of data for 30 days1
$25.00 Monthly recurring

Renews Every 30 days
Pay As You Go Plans
Unlimited data for 12 months2
$360.00

The selected plan will start immediately. Your credit card will be charged each time you purchase a domestic plan.
StarCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 02:07 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Pleasant Garden , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechampion View Post
Here is one of the FAQs:

What does this mean for me? AT&T’s Unlimited Adventure Plans activated or renewed before January 16, 2020, will be valid until the one-year anniversary of their activation. Once the 12-month term ends, customers will have the opportunity to purchase currently available data plans from AT&T.

So . . . I just got onto the AT&T website and prepaid for another year of unlimited data plan which will kick-in after my existing unlimited plan expires. Because I renewed before the January 16, 2020 cutoff, I still was able to take advantage of the existing $360 unlimited data plan.

Bottom line, if you want to continue having unlimited data (for another year after your existing unlimited plan expires), renew before January 16, 2020.
We did the same thing this morning. Our plan was set to expire 01/26/20 so now we have until 01/26/21. Guess we will see what happens after that.
jlandreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 02:09 PM   #16
The Silver TARDIS

2018 30' Classic
Hillsboro , TX
Have you received actual confirmation that your plan was extended? I want to renew mine but the wording at the bottom of the page makes it look like you forfeit whatever remaining time you have on your current plan. Does yours now show something greater than 366 days?
BlueOx SwayPro 1506
Kevinshortnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 02:12 PM   #17
The Silver TARDIS

2018 30' Classic
Hillsboro , TX
It looks like we are in the same boat: I started my plan four days before you - 5/22/2019, am at 211 of 366 days, and 429.10 GB of Unlimited used. I saw your posting and paused when I read those scary words, "The selected plan will start immediately. Your credit card will be charged each time you purchase a domestic plan." Please let me know if your payment goes through and if your contract period gets extended to show something more than 366 days.

I rely on this service as we are most-timers and I work full-time from our 2018 Classic 30. I'm happy to rally together with anyone who wants to petition Airstream to help find us a replacement. Airstream may have our backs, but definitely not AT&T.
BlueOx SwayPro 1506
Kevinshortnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 04:08 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
I am trying to reconcile how this compares to the plan that I recently signed up to (an AT&T unlimited plan that uses my GM Truck as a WiFi). They assured me it would be $20/month for as long as I subscribe. It seems to work very well although I can only keep it on for about 10 hours at a time due to vehicle battery drain (easily solved).
SYC2Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:29 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
LEES SUMMIT , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinshortnh View Post
Have you received actual confirmation that your plan was extended? I want to renew mine but the wording at the bottom of the page makes it look like you forfeit whatever remaining time you have on your current plan. Does yours now show something greater than 366 days?
The purchase confirmation I received includes the following language:

"The plan will become active on the end of your last Domestic plan Eastern Time."

My current plan doesn't expire until Feb. 9, so I guess I'll see on Feb 10.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:33 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by trikdacy View Post

Just did the same. We shall see!