Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2019, 01:58 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
Alde 3020 2019 Classic

I just took delivery of a new 2019 Classic with a new Alde 3020. My 2018 was totaled by a tree branch. Although, my old trailer was not perfect, I had finally got the Alde working as I wanted it to. Now, I am starting over. What I am experiencing is inconsistent water temperatures and a very noticeable fan noise. I don’t know if these are connected, but I know when I turn on the shower boost the fan RPMs go to 0, the noise goes away, and water temperature which should presumably go up, goes down. For example, the glycol temp was about 126 and the water temp was about 106, which is tolerable, but a little low, but 5 mins into the shower, the water temperature was down to 95. We went to lunch without turning off the propane on the Alde, and when we returned the glycol temp was 156, the water temp was 154, and the fan rotations was 2176. I am thinking some adjustments are in order. I am happy to have hot, hot water and mix with cold at the faucet or shower head, but I want it consistently. And I am not sure that fan should be that high. I never heard the fan in my 2018 only the clicks when it turned on. In this trailer, it sounds like a dull roar. We were using the Alde for heat and hot water with outside temps in the 40’s. The heat was consistent.
ajwbarnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Check out the “much ado about Alde” thread. I believe you can turn your fan down, we believe went from 5 to 2. For the hot water, it could be air in the system, pump running too fast, or most recently someone discovered an open valve that should have been closed.

The thread is a bit long but a lot of great information. Most of us have the 3010, so on the bright side you are ahead of the curve!

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:52 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
I have read the thread when troubleshooting the my last Classic. I am looking for info on the 3020.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:09 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Silverdale , Washington
Contact Spencer at Alde, he can e-mail 3020 operating information to you. Verify that your valve lineup is in the summertime/normal operation configuration.
CWO7241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
We had a few issues when we picked ours up. Some were obviously from the factory and others could have been from sitting on the lot. A couple of things to check:

1) On the control panel, make sure the Alde knows that it has the "Alde Flow" module installed. It's a simple check mark under installed accessories and ours was unchecked. Once I check it, the system started producing continuous hot water in the boost mode rather well. Without it checked, I had the same issue you are describing. This could have been caused by people messing with the control panel on the lot.

2) The circulation pump was set on "5". The manual clearly states that is for setting the system up and should be turned down to "2" or "3" for normal operation. With it on "5", the entire piping had noise that sounded like bubbles running through the system, especially from the overflow tank mounted in the cabinet above the toilet (30" classic). The pump is accessed by removing the kick panel on the table side of the front dining bench. You'll see a tiny knob on the back of the pump with markings. Turn it down to "2" and most of the noise will go away.

We still hear a slight whine from the exhaust fan when running on propane, but it is very quite. The system is virtually quite when running on electricity. I only hear it because the trailer is so quiet at night. Far, far less noise than a forced air system. much quieter than the fan for the Inverter when it is running.

I did not have to add fluid to mine at all. The flow was just too turbulent with the circulation pump turned all the way up.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:14 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
We had a few issues when we picked ours up. Some were obviously from the factory and others could have been from sitting on the lot. A couple of things to check:

1) On the control panel, make sure the Alde knows that it has the "Alde Flow" module installed. It's a simple check mark under installed accessories and ours was unchecked. Once I check it, the system started producing continuous hot water in the boost mode rather well. Without it checked, I had the same issue you are describing. This could have been caused by people messing with the control panel on the lot.

2) The circulation pump was set on "5". The manual clearly states that is for setting the system up and should be turned down to "2" or "3" for normal operation. With it on "5", the entire piping had noise that sounded like bubbles running through the system, especially from the overflow tank mounted in the cabinet above the toilet (30" classic). The pump is accessed by removing the kick panel on the table side of the front dining bench. You'll see a tiny knob on the back of the pump with markings. Turn it down to "2" and most of the noise will go away.

We still hear a slight whine from the exhaust fan when running on propane, but it is very quite. The system is virtually quite when running on electricity. I only hear it because the trailer is so quiet at night. Far, far less noise than a forced air system. much quieter than the fan for the Inverter when it is running.

I did not have to add fluid to mine at all. The flow was just too turbulent with the circulation pump turned all the way up.

This sounds like actionable items for my next trip up to our trailer. Thanks!
Old 05-04-2019, 06:56 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
Quote:

Well, checking the Alde Flow button seemed to have done the trick. What it seemed to change was without it checked, when shower boost was turned on without Alde Flow checked, the fan went off, which was noticeable due to the loud noise it is making at 2K RPM. But with the Alde Flow checked, the fan stayed on and the water temp stayed up.

Tomorrow to tackle the fan. And the newest issue...a leak from under the shower.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:30 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
I now have hot water working the way I expect to work. A good, hot 20 minute shower. Thanks to Ephraim for sharing the knowledge. Much appreciated. I also turned the fan speed down to 3. It was at 5. Now I still hear it when propane is on, but not on electric. The hardest part was putting the dinette boards back on. Again, thanks.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
No problem. I spent about a week pouring over the manual before the light bulb turned on in my head about it not being checked on the display. "Could it really be that simple?" was the question that I kept asking myself. Yep. it could.

Given that your's was that way too, I suspect it's coming from the factory that way. I wonder how many have that issue? That would be an easy step to overlook when installing the system.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:52 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

​201​9 Atlas​
West Vancouver , British Columbia
Have 2 week old 2019 33. Lots of heat, no hot water.

I checked the ALDE Flow under installed accessories (it wasn't checked). Now have flashing thermostat in beaker as 2nd symbol on top row of Alde display. Is this correct?
ldavids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldavids View Post
Have 2 week old 2019 33. Lots of heat, no hot water.

I checked the ALDE Flow under installed accessories (it wasn't checked). Now have flashing thermostat in beaker as 2nd symbol on top row of Alde display. Is this correct?
That symbol appears when the system is warming up the water for bath/kitchen usage. When it stays on solid, the final temp has been reached. The symbol only appears on mine when I put it in the boost mode and the temperatures are increased for continuous flow.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:48 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

​201​9 Atlas​
West Vancouver , British Columbia
It did stop flashing.

I put it on shower boost and the flow symbol came on but after 10 minutes, still no hot water. Very frustrating.

I'll call JC tomorrow to see if they can trouble shoot it.
ldavids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:04 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Crested Butte , Colorado
I do not have the Alde Flow accessory available (not installed?). Somewhat irritating.

I have been through all the menus including Accessories looking for it. The manual is pretty clear where I should find it and that uninstalled accessories don't even show up.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:09 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Crested Butte , Colorado
Where is the Alde fluid reservoir?

I have looked in the cabinet above the toilet. Is the tank behind a panel that needs to be removed? I don't see any screws or handles to remove a panel? My fluid level hasn't been checked since I purchased in November.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:00 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froglips View Post
I do not have the Alde Flow accessory available (not installed?). Somewhat irritating.

I have been through all the menus including Accessories looking for it. The manual is pretty clear where I should find it and that uninstalled accessories don't even show up.

Is the button on the screen not on there or is it greyed out?
Old 05-07-2019, 03:03 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
Quote:
I have looked in the cabinet above the toilet. Is the tank behind a panel that needs to be removed? I don't see any screws or handles to remove a panel? My fluid level hasn't been checked since I purchased in November.

Yes, it is behind a panel on the left hand side of the cabinet above the towel bars. I never checked the levels of my fluid in two years, because it was working as I expected. I haven’t been in there on my new one because I believed the demo guy at Colonial who told me it was at the midpoint when I asked. I don’t know if it has a screw or whether it just pops out. But it is meant to be an access panel.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:05 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldavids View Post
It did stop flashing.

I put it on shower boost and the flow symbol came on but after 10 minutes, still no hot water. Very frustrating.

I'll call JC tomorrow to see if they can trouble shoot it.

Do you know what temperature your water is getting to? I am always monitoring it on the Service screen when I want to use it because I don’t get into the shower unless it is up over 105. Mine currently gets up into the 150’s if I use propane for an extra boost of heat.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:03 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:

It comes standard in the 2019 Classic. It sits right beside the Alde 3020 under the front dinnette seat against the road side wall. It's red and black in color. If you remove one of the seat panels, you should be able to see it.

scroll through the "settings" menu until you find installed accessories and then scroll through that menu. You should see it there.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:15 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Crested Butte , Colorado
Quote:
It comes standard in the 2019 Classic. It sits right beside the Alde 3020 under the front dinette seat against the roadside wall. It's red and black in color. If you remove one of the seat panels, you should be able to see it.

scroll through the "settings" menu until you find installed accessories and then scroll through that menu. You should see it there.
I have scrolled through Installed Accessories. No Alde Flow I saw the red and black box under the dinette. I thought that was the heater, not the reservoir. It is tight under the seat. No way to add fluid without taking the seat out.

I guess I will call Spencer first about the missing Alde app.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:16 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Crested Butte , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwbarnard View Post
Is the button on the screen not on there or is it greyed out?
Not there Although, the ACC button on the main menu is greyed out.