Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2019, 09:53 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Pleasant Garden , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
We've been traveling for almost 5 months now and the lowest temps we've encountered are 32 degrees. Most of our nights we're in the 40-55 range and probably not the best test for the Alde system, but for us, those temps are pretty common for the type of travel we've done. We also use the boost every day for two showers. With the Alde set to electric priority and electric also set to 2 kW, we have gone through only 2 1/3 tanks of propane (93 lbs.). That really attests to the fine job the Alde system does on electric and I'm really happy about that. We also use our stove two or three times a week. Our thermostat on the Alde is set to about 70 degrees.
We have had temps in the mid teens the last 3 nights and highs around 30. We have had the Alde set at 62 and it's done a great job of holding it there.
jlandreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:56 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
Since I'm buying new, is this load sensor something I should look at buying and installing? I would think that I'd what it to be a robust as possible and if adding the load sensor helps, then I'd do it without question or need......as a just in case......(that's just the way I roll).....being overly prepared is what I'm looking or.......even if I may never use it.....thoughts?
I would not. You need to keep the trailer fully stock at first until you are satisfied that everything is working properly. You don't want to interfere with a warranty problem you might have down the road with the Alde system. Airstream does not offer this as an option.

That said, I always document any issues with Airstream JC and ask them if I do this or that, will it void my warranty later. They tend to like you fixing their problems. This one I would leave alone.

By the way, to document an issue, send an email with pictures to John in customer service. Keep your email for later. That tells them the date and warranty period you are in.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:16 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2021 Atlas
Charlotte , North Carolina
It looks like the load sensor connects to the Alde and the main power source. It senses the total usage of the whole trailer and will downgrade the usage by Alde so you do not trip the campsite power breaker on the pole. If you turn on the hair dryer while Alde wants a lot of power, maybe that would happen.

Some campsites outside the US or ‘self made’ may not have a power pole at the campsite so this would be more useful in those situations. All you avoid is tripping at the pole. Not a big deal to me.

Another feature not installed that is easy to do is an external temp sensor. All it does is show the outside temp on the screen, doesn’t change anything but sounds like a handy thing to have.
LilPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:13 PM   #24
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
Since I'm buying new, is this load sensor something I should look at buying and installing? I would think that I'd what it to be a robust as possible and if adding the load sensor helps, then I'd do it without question or need......as a just in case......(that's just the way I roll).....being overly prepared is what I'm looking or.......even if I may never use it.....thoughts?
Hi

No, there is not any real reason to buy it. It will not do anything usefull. If you are on "limited" power, you can easily punch the button to reduce the electric into the Alde. Since the propane can deliver way more heat, you aren't going to freeze if you do this.

On a 50A pole, you will never run out of power. On a 30A (or less) plug, you will have to manage things other than the Alde to keep a reasonable balance. Since the magic gizmo does not manage that other stuff, you still have to be aware of what's going on.

If you are on a generator, heating with electric (even if it is managed in some way) is not a good idea at all. Propane is *way* more efficient doing this directly. Generators are not very efficient.

On the flip side, it's one more thing to break, one more thing to install, and one more thing to worry about. Adding to the "trouble list" with no real benefit makes very little sense.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:05 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
[QUOTE =

Another feature not installed that is easy to do is an external temp sensor. All it does is show the outside temp on the screen, doesn’t change anything but sounds like a handy thing to have.[/QUOTE]

I already have an outside temp sensor. Shows on the panel.

Tom & Doty
Old 01-23-2019, 06:40 AM   #26
Camping Dutchman

2018 33' Classic
Manchester center , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post

Hi

Which is exactly what they have been saying for several years. It's the basis for my suggesting that the load monitor setting is not anything to fret about. It's been there, but "not installed" for a long time. On a 50A / 240V trailer, the max that the system can pull is trivial compared to the 100A at 120V that is available to use.

There *is* a setting for the number of heating elements you are using. That info is in the All About Alde" thread. The bottom line is still that the max power from 16 or 18A at 120V is puny compared to what the propane burner puts out.

Bob
I have been following this thread with high interest. My 2018 classic is at the moment at JC. I have issues with my heating system I thought after reading this it might be the load monitor setting. But now I understand it is not from what I’m reading. My issue is that according to the alde panel my alde fluid or sanitary water doesn’t heat up higher than around 120 degrees on electric only. I checked if both electric elements are on. This means I can’t keep the unit warm when outside temps drop below 55/50. The radiators don’t give enough heat with just 120 degrees. I called alde directly and they said that the system should easily heat the fluid to 145-160.
If I also turn on the gas, fluid temps get to 145 and trailer heats up. I told JC this. I’m not sure if they have figured out yet.
Any insights from this group? Maybe one heating element is not working?
Menno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:20 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I was told by Alde to open the dinette side door where the alde is located and have someone listen as you slowly change the "electric bolt" panel setting from Off to 1 kW to 2 kW. He told me that you should hear the two relays click on each time. He said if you do not hear the click, the element is out.

Take this with a grain of salt these days

Tom & Doty
Old 01-23-2019, 08:26 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I just looked and my Alde system on electric has the glycol at 134 degrees.

It is 50n degrees outside right now.

Tom & Doty
Old 01-24-2019, 06:37 AM   #29
Camping Dutchman

2018 33' Classic
Manchester center , Vermont
Alde fluid temp

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
I just looked and my Alde system on electric has the glycol at 134 degrees.

It is 50n degrees outside right now.
Thanks for this. Is it heating your unit to 70 degrees with that fluid temp? Looks likes yours is slightly better but if your outside temps dropped to 40 or so your will also not keep your trailer comfortably warm as that fluid temp is not enough to radiate heat enough from your radiators.
Menno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:41 AM   #30
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There is a setting on the Alde for how many electric elements are engaged. This is independent of any of the "current" settings. You can have one or two elements engaged. As Turk mentions, things can be / can get broken.

Depending on wind / sun / how much you open the door / are exhaust fans on / shades up or down / skylight covered / number of people and dogs inside / what are we cooking , the Alde may be fine heating the inside of the trailer to 75F with it 45 degrees outside on just electric. It also may struggle at 55 F. Long before the temperature in the trailer drops, the fluid temperature will start to come down a bit.

One of the basics is that the trailer is not air tight. You very much don't want it to be (exhaust fans have to pull from somewhere to work ....). If the wind is from the "wrong" direction things cool down .... Getting a lot of air motion 10" off the ground is a bit weird, but it can happen. There are long threads here about drafts because of this.

Bob
Old 01-24-2019, 08:26 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Well said, Bob. Lots of variables. Keeping all the nightshades down at night makes a big difference. I even bought one of those white pillows to fit in the fantastic fan opening.

Here is one more! Last evening everything was working fine and then it started to get a little cold. I bumped the temperature and turned on "propane priority" and went to the service menu to see if the propane was coming on. It never did. Glycol temps had dropped

Five minutes went by and I figured something was wrong. I just shut the system completely down from the panel. Turned it back on and the propane started right away. Go figure.

Tom & Doty
Old 01-25-2019, 06:34 AM   #32
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There is a delay in turning the propane on. The system is set up to not run any more propane than it has to. If you have been going all day long with just electric, it does seem like forever and ever when it kicks in. In reality it is something like 5 or 10 minutes. Since it's a time delay, fiddling the thermostat does not speed it up. If it's already in the countdown phase, it just keeps counting down.

Bob
Old 01-27-2019, 10:36 AM   #33
Yossie

2008 684 International
Ramsbottom , Bury
Hi all from the UK

Note: figures quoted in centigrade!

Lived in my 28ft airstream for 4 years. The Aldre system was good if not excellent. It would keep the temperature at 15° warmer than outside just using electric and 2kw - 25° warmer on propane but man it would eat through those cylinders very quickly so you had to be careful!

There was an option to upgrade to 3kw but you couldn’t so much as turn a light on without it tripping the bollard so I didn’t bother. When it got really cold (a very rare -15°) I used a little fan heater to help me keep warm at night a well as a hat in bed!

Only real issues I ever had was a circuit board failure (twice) and this was always when it was winter. I realised after the first failure it was going to do it again so bought a circuit board in anticipation. When it was failing feedback would come through the speakers to warn me!
Yossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:50 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Call ALDE USA

They are in Vancouver Washington. Great little setup, they are the ones who sell to AS. They also do the installations. I went by there on the way back from California last April as I am installing a new 3020 into LUCY 77 in the next 6 months (part of the rebuild). I have the full specs, schematics, etc and have had to learn all about them as I am going off grid and power is an issue. They seem like really great people, they even gave us an ALDE moose! I suspect that U Bob is absolutely correct from my conversations - the coils are rated at 1800 BTU . . . You can also get one or two coils - and much depends on whether or not you have the extra HOT tank installed.
Kristof is offline   Reply With Quote