Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2019, 09:56 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
2019 Classic Dip Dip Dip!

After picking up our 2019 Classic 30, and traveling in it awhile, we noticed a small "dip" in the floor in front of the convection/microwave oven. It is one of those "feel" things. You really can't see it.

Our unit is currently at JC for warranty repairs and I brought this up. I was not concerned that much about the "dip" as was I about what is causing it. It is almost dead center in the trailer.

We were told that it is in front of the tanks and easy to get to. They would install a brace between the frame to support it better. Service seemed to know about the issue and knew just what to do.

Is this something anyone else has noticed? It sounded like it was a prevalent thing with the 2019 Classic and maybe the 2018.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
I’ve got two in my 2019 Globetrotter 27FBT. One up by the sink (can be felt—visible only in certain light) and one by the transition between bathroom and bedroom. The one near the bedroom also squeaks when you step on it. I’m guessing it’s the edges of two subfloor panels that need reinforcement or shimming as you describe. It’s on the list for the trailer’s first trip to JC, whenever that happens (probably next spring).
Old 07-15-2019, 01:59 PM   #3
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Hey Turk, yes, it’s a thing with some of 2017 Classic’s. Not all we’ll need it but if you have the dip I suggest you go ahead and fix it now. It will not go away on its own.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Yup, you’ll get one in front of your shower closer to your bed as well. JC or any qualified airstream dealer can fix it. The one by the bathroom required the tanks to be dropped but they know about it and happily correct it.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:55 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Apparently there is some sort of evaluation they do to decide if it is a problem or if it is normal. On our trailer the feedback from JC was that the floor was normal.

On ours you can very much tell if the stabilizers got cranked a bit much by how the floor feels ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
I hadn't noticed anything in our 2018 30' Classic. So I just went out and spent 5 minutes walking back and forth on and examining the floor in front of the microwave, shower, etc. And...I still can't detect any anomalies in the floor, dips or otherwise.

Just out of curiosity: those that can feel dips, what floor layout do you have? Twin? Queen? We have a twin, FWIW.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I have a twin. I do not seem to feel anything between the bathroom and bedroom.

I thought about the stabilizers being too high, but adjusted them more conservatively and the problem did not go away. I just called it a problem, but it is less than that. JC said the brace will fix it. They did not say it was a structural problem, but that it is annoying sometimes.

Tom & Doty
Old 07-16-2019, 12:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Interesting. I'm not noticing anything and so can't legitimately complain to my dealer about a problem that's not in evidence. But it's a little concerning that it's a recognized issue in some Classics (why some and not others?) and I'm wondering if it may show up over time...say after my warranty expires. Yet another first world problem for me to worry about!

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:54 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

It's very unclear just what causes it to be "an issue" vs "normal". My guess is that a "full sized" person skipping down the aisle probably feels something different than the "test sized" person who evaluates it by walking normally

The floor is just plywood. It's never going to feel like concrete. The flooring in a typical house is going to be much more solid feeling that what's in any trailer. That said, the floors have been made this way for many decades. Unless they rot from water coming in, they hold up pretty well.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:46 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

It's very unclear just what causes it to be "an issue" vs "normal". My guess is that a "full sized" person skipping down the aisle probably feels something different than the "test sized" person who evaluates it by walking normally

The floor is just plywood. It's never going to feel like concrete. The flooring in a typical house is going to be much more solid feeling that what's in any trailer. That said, the floors have been made this way for many decades. Unless they rot from water coming in, they hold up pretty well.

Bob
Hi Bob

This is not an issue of it moving when you step on it. It actually has a dip in the floor itself that is there all the time. As you walk over it you just feel the slight indent. That is what concerned me at first.

I'm not going to lose sleep over it and I haven't! I just brought it up with JC and they said it could be fixed. It's kind of like the small Corian backsplash piece that breaks off near the door. It happens on a lot of trailers and is an area that walls move more than other areas. JC ask me if they could just glue it. To the chagrin of my wife, who wanted a new top because all the scratches, I agreed that drastic measures are not needed here. JC said it will not come off again.

Tom & Doty
Old 07-17-2019, 08:58 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
DW is the one that picks up instantly on uneven footing or stuff out of level. Me, not so much.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:39 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
The guy at the factory installing the joist dropped his doughnut, so the only thing that went in the place of the joist is said doughnut.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote