Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2018, 10:48 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

​201​9 Atlas​
West Vancouver , British Columbia
2018 Classic - Batteries not charging - backup suggestions

Appears my batteries were not charging when on shore power. Noticed this yesterday when the battery symbol on the main Firefly panel was orange but after plugging in the truck, it went to green. Stopped last night and then back on shore power (only 30a available). This morning everything was dim and battery symbol was red. Shut off shore power and turned the battery off using battery switch by the door. Turned power back on and then turned the battery back on.

It looks like it is now charging (battery symbol is still red but volts have been slowly climbing from 9's to now 11.6). My solar control panel was showing battery at 0% but it is now 40%. Don't believe it is being recharged by solar panels (200 watts and I'm in Mackinaw City). As I've been writing this the panel shows 11.4 and the solar controller shows 25% so maybe it was charging off solar.

I now realize I don't have a backup for the on-board charger. So I'm looking for some advice.

1. A backup charger recommendation or will anything do?
2. If I have the charger, what terminals do I clip to? Battery box (pic attached) is pretty cluttered.
3. Is there some way I can figure out if the on-board charger has failed without crawling under the furniture on the trailer. I'm not very handy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0143.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	330.5 KB
ID:	321711  
ldavids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Are you confident the Converter is functioning as that is the "Charger" for the batteries when the unit is plugged into shore power. The solar should be connected directly from the panels to the solar controller and then to the batteries by passing the converter.

I'd check the function of the converter as these can be the issue. If you have a meter check your batteries independent of the panels in the trailer.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:46 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Cumberland , Maryland
You will need a multimeter to check voltage at the batteries. Negative lead to negative lead positive to positive and that should coincide with what your seeing on the Firefly. The fact that voltage is rising tells me it's somethings working. Disconnect shore power and take a look at the solar control panel and see if it is drawing amps. If it is it's working. As far as your converter goes (when plugged into shore power) turn on some lights and you should be able to hear it come on. That should give you an idea what's going on.
Airhead2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 04:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead2018 View Post
You will need a multimeter to check voltage at the batteries. Negative lead to negative lead positive to positive and that should coincide with what your seeing on the Firefly. The fact that voltage is rising tells me it's somethings working. Disconnect shore power and take a look at the solar control panel and see if it is drawing amps. If it is it's working. As far as your converter goes (when plugged into shore power) turn on some lights and you should be able to hear it come on. That should give you an idea what's going on.

Our converter makes no noise at all except when it’s temp sensor calls for cooling and the fan comes on? I installed a Boondocker HW four stage and don’t remember what the stock unit did.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 04:54 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Cumberland , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Our converter makes no noise at all except when it’s temp sensor calls for cooling and the fan comes on? I installed a Boondocker HW four stage and don’t remember what the stock unit did.
Paceman, I'm sure you are absolutely right about the fans coming on at temp. I didn't think of that, but ours seems to come on right away for some reason. Thanks!
Airhead2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:46 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2023 30' International
Hanover , Pennsylvania
I had this same problem on one of my trips. It ended up being a tripped breaker, circuit 6. After I reset it the converter came back on and the battery started charging.
BTW, when I turn on the ceiling lights I can here the converter running.
rlyoung1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:21 PM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Simple set of tests:

1) Wait until it's dark out so the solar is not in the mix
2) Turn off the breaker to the converter
3) Turn off all the loads in the trailer and wait about an hour
4) Measure the battery voltage at the battery posts with a multimeter.
5) Turn on the converter (via the breaker) and see if the battery voltage goes up.

If the voltage increases when the converter is turned on, the converter is at least minimally functional. If it "fails" filp the use/store switch and repeat just the on/off converter part of the test. If it fails "both ways" then the converter needs to be replaced. It's a warranty item if you decide to go that way ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:38 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

​201​9 Atlas​
Problem solved, it was the converter.

Fortunately I joined up with the Route 61 Caravan and other Airstreamers with electrical experience. Stu and John identified it as a pooched converter. We ordered a Boondocker 1260CL which was overnighted and the boys installed it today. I had also picked up a DieHard battery charger which allowed me to keep the batteries charged and to run all the 12V stuff over the weekend.

I now have a backup for the converter and a better understanding of the electrical system. With the converter not working, no heat (FireFly and Alde dead), no lights (Firefly dead) and no water (pump dead). But microwave, TV, and coffee available. Live and learn.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:56 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldavids View Post
Problem solved, it was the converter.

Fortunately I joined up with the Route 61 Caravan and other Airstreamers with electrical experience. Stu and John identified it as a pooched converter. We ordered a Boondocker 1260CL which was overnighted and the boys installed it today. I had also picked up a DieHard battery charger which allowed me to keep the batteries charged and to run all the 12V stuff over the weekend.

I now have a backup for the converter and a better understanding of the electrical system. With the converter not working, no heat (FireFly and Alde dead), no lights (Firefly dead) and no water (pump dead). But microwave, TV, and coffee available. Live and learn.
Hi

With a dead converter, but with *live* batteries, the lights, Firefly, and water pump all should work fine. All that is required is to make sure the use/store switch is in the proper (use) position.

Bob
Old 09-12-2018, 06:32 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

​201​9 Atlas​
But the batteries die as they are not being charged.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:22 PM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldavids View Post
But the batteries die as they are not being charged.
Hi

Batteries can charge via the 7 pin connector ( power from your tow vehicle). If you have a solar setup, that can charge the batteries. You also mentioned an outboard charger .... all will get the batteries up and going with a dead converter / charger. Once they are charged, you should be good for well over a day of normal use, even without any shore power involved.

Bob