Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2019, 07:39 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
2018 Classic 33 - Hot water question

On Firefly panel, when I select Shower Booster, the green light on water heater goes off and shower booster goes green. Is this correct? Reason I’m asking is that shower hot water gets cold. Maybe I’m not waiting long enough for water to get hot again with shower booster?
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
It's normal for the water heater light to go out when shower boost is activated. The owners manual says to turn on the shower boost feature 10 minutes before taking a shower but we usually turn it on a least 20 minutes ahead of time and get good results. After 30 minutes the boost feature will turn itself on and normal water heating will resume.

BTW, the booster doesn't start all over again heating water, it just raises the temperature of the water that's already being heated. Also, just FYI, the trailer heat in general (Alde system) will also be suspended while the shower boost feature is in effect.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Sorry, I noticed the following typo too late to edit my post above which should read: After 30 minutes the boost feature will turn itself off and normal water heating will resume.

Old 07-29-2019, 11:32 AM   #4
JDG
Riveted

2018 33' Classic
Charleston , West Virginia
Also, after the shower boost has been turned on and waiting the ten minutes, it takes a moment or two before you get the cold water out of the flex tubing to the shower head and hot water. It’s seems a lot faster to reach the galley facet and my guess is shorter length of flex tubing. What you describe is how ours works.
JDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:39 AM   #5
The Silver TARDIS

2018 30' Classic
Hillsboro , TX
Here is what I do in our 2018 Classic 30: On the Alde panel, do Menu > Settings (wheel) > up arrow > Service. That screen tells you the glycol (furnace) and water (hot water) temperatures, among other things. Now you press Menu again to go back and experiment with the shower boost or other settings and return to the Service screen to watch the temperatures change in real-time. This helped me learn what to expect and how long it takes (not long) to get up to temperature. Note that you have a couple of other controls: the mixing valve in the shower and the mixing valve on the Alde unit (under dinette bench on our 30). Hope this helps!
BlueOx SwayPro 1506
Kevinshortnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:13 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Medway , Massachusetts
Shower mixing valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinshortnh View Post
Here is what I do in our 2018 Classic 30: On the Alde panel, do Menu > Settings (wheel) > up arrow > Service. That screen tells you the glycol (furnace) and water (hot water) temperatures, among other things. Now you press Menu again to go back and experiment with the shower boost or other settings and return to the Service screen to watch the temperatures change in real-time. This helped me learn what to expect and how long it takes (not long) to get up to temperature. Note that you have a couple of other controls: the mixing valve in the shower and the mixing valve on the Alde unit (under dinette bench on our 30). Hope this helps!
Hi Kevin,
We follow the same procedures re boost. This year however with no other changes the shower no longer gets too hot. I have examined the shower valve and there is no apparent way to remove the handle or bezel (no set screws, etc) and no feature on the back which would limit hot water flow or handle turning. One technician told me there was none. Can you describe what I should look for? I would have thought the limiting screw is behind the front bezel but see no way to remove them non-destructively!
M
MAHofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:53 PM   #7
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Hi Guys. Just popping in to say that the Alde system needs to maintain an air pocket in the hot water tank so if you seem to think the water isn’t getting as hot as it used to then popping the pressure valve under the dinette and draining the tank completely will help restore the pocket and you’ll have hotter water. If you’re using your shower every day it’s a good idea to get into the habit of draining the tank weekly. Hopefully this was helpful.

To Mahofer. I think the ‘18 have the same shower hardware as my ‘17, if so, I turned the handle counter-clockwise and the handle came off so I could get faceplate and to the set screw. Actually, I just took the screw off mine all together. As I recall, it took a bit of force but it finally came off.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:53 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Medway , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
Hi Guys. Just popping in to say that the Alde system needs to maintain an air pocket in the hot water tank so if you seem to think the water isn’t getting as hot as it used to then popping the pressure valve under the dinette and draining the tank completely will help restore the pocket and you’ll have hotter water. If you’re using your shower every day it’s a good idea to get into the habit of draining the tank weekly. Hopefully this was helpful.

To Mahofer. I think the ‘18 have the same shower hardware as my ‘17, if so, I turned the handle counter-clockwise and the handle came off so I could get faceplate and to the set screw. Actually, I just took the screw off mine all together. As I recall, it took a bit of force but it finally came off.
Thanks Lauri, this is helpful guidance!
MAHofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:40 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Classic 33- Hot water

Kendrick. I see the yellow pressure release valves on my Alde ( there are 3), but where is the valve to drain the HW reservoir? There is a chrome turn valve to the right in this picture. Is that the valve to empty the reservoir?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAF6BE57-6055-4E45-8152-812FAFE0D8CB.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	407.7 KB
ID:	348194  
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:46 AM   #10
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Delta Ron, it’s kinda hard the see the very bottom of your picture but on mine there is a valve right behind the yellow pressure relief valve. In between the yellow valve and the metal tank. I don’t see that water line on yours. Poke around under there and see if you can find a water line that goes down though the floor. I actually have 3 line that go through the floor. 2 are passive drain lines that allow the check valve for the Alde, neither of those lines are pressurized. The line you’re needing to find will be a pressurized HOT water line and it should have the same type of valve that is used for winter shut down.
I’m am a bit concerned that someone reconfigured your system (at least 2 people that I know had systems that were altered by the dealer). You really need to find that line and the valve so you can drain the tank, without it you’ll loose that air pocket/ cushion and your hot water will continue to diminish.

Old 08-02-2019, 05:01 AM   #11
JDG
Riveted

2018 33' Classic
Charleston , West Virginia
DeltaRon
My 33 Classic looks the same as your photo. Turn the Chrome shutoff valve to Open, open the yellow safety valve, and there should be one more yellow safety valve on the left side of your picture hidden below the big hose (intake/exhaust hose) on the floor. It’s mid way under the seat and on the front side of the alde unit along side of the entry door to your Classic. With all three of theses drain open you should see water draining out of the tubes on the bottom of the trailer. It will take 5-10 minutes to drain.
JDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 02:57 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Las Vegas , Nevada
We have a 2018 classic 33, when we turn the shower boost on, shower works fine, but it has started activating the trailer heater?... I don’t think it did this last year, I go in the panel in the bath and find the house heat set at max- 86 degrees. Anyone else experience this.
ejs5405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs5405 View Post
We have a 2018 classic 33, when we turn the shower boost on, shower works fine, but it has started activating the trailer heater?... I don’t think it did this last year, I go in the panel in the bath and find the house heat set at max- 86 degrees. Anyone else experience this.
House heat will be disabled (if it's already on) when you activate shower boost and it will be restored automatically when the boost feature times out.

However, when shower boost times out it shouldn't turn the house heat on if it wasn't on in the first place. I've never experienced what you're describing. Something is amiss.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:25 AM   #14
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
EJS - when you turned the house heat back to something like 65 from the panel and then took a shower is the house heat going back to 85? During the summer months I don’t need to hear the cabin so I keep the heat around 65 and that’s been working well for me. It should not be going back to 85+ . Try turning the whole thing (Alde) off for 5 minutes or so and then turn it back on and see what happens to the house heat setting. I’m sure you tried that already, but I thought I’d throw it out there.

Old 08-23-2019, 02:24 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
EJS - when you turned the house heat back to something like 65 from the panel and then took a shower is the house heat going back to 85? During the summer months I don’t need to hear the cabin so I keep the heat around 65 and that’s been working well for me. It should not be going back to 85+ . Try turning the whole thing (Alde) off for 5 minutes or so and then turn it back on and see what happens to the house heat setting. I’m sure you tried that already, but I thought I’d throw it out there.

I keep setting mine to 41, and ever time we use the shower boost it turns the heating system to max— 86. Tried to system off approach to no avail. We are on a 3 month trip, when we get home, off to the dealer before the warranty runs out.
ejs5405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:22 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Shower boost jacks up the heat on the alde to heat the water faster. I believe it’s working normally if you see the alde panel heat that high. As someone mentioned, the shower booster disables radiant heat while its boosting so you will not actually be heating the cabin while your alde panel says 85.
Once you turn your shower booster off or it times it, it should drop back down to normal. Is this not happening?

You can also check your firmware on your panel. I was at JC earlier this year and I got the latest version (they have to replace the panel to update which is part of the reason they switched to czone). My version is: 3.8

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 09:27 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Montgomery , Florida
Help I don’t have cold water in shower,am I missing a valve to open?
Grateful2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 09:30 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful2 View Post
Help I don’t have cold water in shower,am I missing a valve to open?

you likely have a valve closed that needs to be open or your mixing valve isn’t working correctly. May need more information to help you with this. Did you have cold water before? Was your unit winterized prior to this issue?

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 07:37 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Montgomery , Florida
Hot water

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
you likely have a valve closed that needs to be open or your mixing valve isn’t working correctly. May need more information to help you with this. Did you have cold water before? Was your unit winterized prior to this issue?
I had a valve that was closed under bench seat at alde
Thanks all
Old 05-29-2021, 11:25 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Montgomery , Florida
Closed valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
Had a closed valve