Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2019, 07:42 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Silverdale , Washington
Yes, remove the upper access panel in the bathroom. Also, verify all cables are properly connected to the backside of the Alde control panel.
CWO7241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 04:48 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
I just want to say...I now have a 2019 due to totally of the 2018 Classic....AND I miss my Firefly. I miss not being able to read the buttons that I want to push with out a flashlight! I miss the controls of my bed and table not integrated into the panel. I was down to only one thing to troubleshoot - the awning. There are things I like about the 2019. But the cZone is not one of them. Now to begin memorizing where all the buttons are so I can stop with the flashlight.
ajwbarnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:46 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New Park , Pennsylvania
For those of you that have had this done...to upgrade my Firefly controller from 3.2 to 3.8 the controller needs replaced? Is it plug and play?

I had posted our problems with the Alde heat not shutting off even when the Firefly controller showed everything was off. After much reading I feel the Firefly controller is more the problem and the Alde will run fine with the proper communication.

Since we are out of warranty and the dealer is far away we would like to attempt the replacement ourselves. I have a call into Firefly now, we will see how it goes.

Any insight is appreciated.
Robertson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:38 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
I had mine done under warranty at JC. They replaced the main panel and the switches in the bathroom.

Not sure if it’s plug and play or minor soldering is needed? Sorry can’t be of more help. Have you tried calling JC and asking them? Or just email them?

They may be able to guide you over the phone if it’s more than plug and play too

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:59 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Medway , Massachusetts
We too had ours upgraded/replaced at Airstream while under warranty. Just before warranty ended the propane 1 display failed (does not read above zero). Removed the display (it merely snaps into wall) to check connections in back. The connection is merely a plug and all was good there. Swapping sensor leads at the propane tanks showed sensor and wiring of P1 is good (it had a read out on P2 display) suggesting problem is either the display itself (my bet since a gentle knock on it sometimes resulted in a readout for a second or two) or some intermediate processor. Colonial will be diagnosing in the spring. I was unaware that the bathroom display was replaced as well.
MAHofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:05 AM   #26

2018 33' Classic
Carnation , Washington
Firefly controller

I received a notice from Airstream that my 18 33 FireFly was wired incorrectly and had in fixed at the dealer. However we have not had the opportunity to take it out to see if it truly works.....
upton58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:03 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New Park , Pennsylvania
Firefly responded quickly and they are sending the replacement controller, a new bathroom touch pad (because it has the shower boost that connects with Alde) and a software updater. The parts are being shipped by UPS.

My understanding is as long as we return the old parts and software updater (talks to the G6?) there is no charge other then shipping cost. The wiring diagram they sent by email is easy to understand. I feel with good directions and tech support by phone we should be successful with the replacement. I like the idea that we maybe fixing concerns we don’t even know we have.

To the best of our understanding the previous owners ordered this classic brand new 9/2017 Took delivery 10/17/17. Used it one time and placed it in public storage never to be used again. We feel none of the bugs have been worked out so we have reasonable expectations.

Biggest problem we have...winter has set in and there won’t be a nice day for a week or more to work on this project.

And I will also give a thumbs up to Airstream at JC, even though we are out of warranty by a month they would have allowed 30 minutes labor under warranty for the replacement and upgrade. That a fair offer...not convenient for us...but fair.

Maybe I should start yet another YouTube channel that shares our debugging adventure.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:08 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New Park , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by upton58 View Post
I received a notice from Airstream that my 18 33 FireFly was wired incorrectly and had in fixed at the dealer. However we have not had the opportunity to take it out to see if it truly works.....
Was the incorrect wiring the Blue/White/Black wires not being in the correct placement behind the panel? I saw a picture posted in the Alde thread that stated there was a 9 month period where the factory wiring was wrong?

Was not caught until after November 2017? My build date is September 2017.

Sharing correct information is a wonderful thing!
Old 01-16-2020, 10:37 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
That’s great news! I wish I always read positive experiences with interactions with JC. This is a great example of what I’ve always experienced, JC will go above and beyond to keep us happy. Very cool to see firefly will do the same.

Please post an update when you’re all squared away. I’m curious if this solves the issues and if 3.8 is the most recent version.

Thanks!

Follow our adventures!
Old 01-22-2020, 04:11 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New Park , Pennsylvania
The package arrived yesterday. It was as ordered, a new control panel, bathroom touchpad and the firmware updater. The firmware is 3.8.

All we need is a warm sunny day to work on the install. As part of the agreement with Firefly we have 30 days to return the old parts and the firmware updater for no charge.

Fingers crossed...

Tanner the tin tube
Old 01-22-2020, 11:02 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Awesome. Hope the install is nice and smooth! Crossing fingers that this all solves the challenges you had and the ones you didn’t know you had!

Follow our adventures!
Old 01-23-2020, 10:40 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Has JC Recognized The Firefly Problem?

I took my 2018 Classic 33FB in to the Katy Texas dealer for several warranty repairs one of which was the Firefly resetting randomly and not interacting correctly with the Alde system or propane sensors. When I checked on the status later, I was told they were waiting on Airstream to send a new Firefly panel and "Alde parts." Cross your fingers. I hope I can pull out of the dealer parking lot with a unit that lives up to the quality standards of the Airstream my grandfather had in the 1970's.
jrkott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 07:01 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New Park , Pennsylvania
Finally we had a warm day to work on the Firefly/Alde system firmware update. Good news is the trailer heated up nicely from 46 degrees to 64 degrees in about an hours time. This was good confirmation that the Alde system is working properly before the firmware update and the fluid was full and circulating.

First thing we did was pull out the G6 panel and fixed the pin wires on port 3 as mentioned in the Much ado about Alde thread. We changed the position of the blue and black wire as confirmed by Airstream. We powered up the Alde after the wire switch an all was working fine.

Next step...on to the firmware update. We removed the touch pad controller above the dinette (and vacuum all the construction dirt in the wall around it).

Then we replaced the bathroom touchpad. This was a bit more tricky because the screw pattern on the new touchpad was slightly different. We had to drill some new holes being VERY careful that no metal shavings got into the circuit plug. We leveled the outlet nice and straight (pet peeve) and moved to the next step. The firmware update.

We plugged in the updater in the front of the G6 panel as instructed and it took off...bling lights and confirmed green that it had been updated. Seemed a bit too simple and fast so we called Firefly and confirmed the light sequence. We connected and snapped the new touchpad into place and all was correct, the new 3.8 firmware update displayed correctly on the touchpad so we were finished.

Two things not mentioned anywhere in the Firefly instructions but we knew what to do...you must disconnect all power while working on this. Second when the firmware is completed Firefly told us to do a complete disconnect of the power for the Firmware to reboot. We took the 12V red cable off the back of the G6 panel waited two minutes and reconnected. All seems good for now. We need a real weekend trip to test it completely...endless hot water shower and toasty radiant heat.

Ironically one thing we had not expected to find was our red 12V cable was just barely connected to the G6 panel. We had problems with the solar panel display flickering all the time. That problem has gone away and we think it was from the loose cable which can cause other electrical gremlins.

So a successful Firmware update...we think...and ready to move forward for the next challenge.

Tanner the tin tube
Old 12-20-2022, 06:56 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New Park , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead2018 View Post
We have the same configuration, Firefly over TV and Alde 3010 under kitchen sink. Only issue that I need to pay attention to is the Alde circulating pump will run continuous if temp gets below 40 something degrees with everything off on Firefly. Just need to remember to turn off batteries or the Alde 3010 panel itself. Good Luck BSWG!

Wow…glad I found this nugget of information! Our 30’ Classic has been in the driveway, plugged in to 50 AMP and winterized since we returned home from Florida December 1st. I occasionally go inside and check on things. We have had some cold nights and it is to be even colder this week.

I went in yesterday and heard the Alde circulation pump humming. I thought, It can’t be…everything is off. No propane, no electric to the heating system…what’s up!?

I looked under the kitchen sink and found the circular symbol was on the Alde 3010 panel…yep the circulation pump has been running. I did a “hard” power off on the controller under the sink and it stopped. It was 29 degrees inside the trailer. I also checked the glycol bottle in the bathroom cabinet, it was nearly empty so I filled it to the half way point from our gallon of the newest AS glycol $$$.

I never heard of this…now I know. As weird as this Alde system can be, when it is working properly it truly is a beautiful system. Great hot showers, warm quiet heat…we are really glad we chose to wait for this feature.

Tanner the tin tube
Old 12-20-2022, 12:29 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Careful with the glycol fill. I believe manual says fill to the minimum when cold as it tends to expand. Keep an eye on it when you turn the system on next

Follow our adventures!
Old 06-22-2023, 09:07 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Little Rock , Arkansas
Firefly current version

I just had my 2018 Classic 33FB Firefly GUI and LC software updated to current version which is 3.8 as of June 22, 2023. I had to replace the PMM to get the new software to load as it wasn't compatible with the original PMM. Also had to replace the touchscreen as well to get it all to work together. Luckily I have an extended warranty. The total bill was over $4K.
Luke12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 09:27 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Ouch. I had my upgraded when we were still under warranty with AS. That’s a bit more than I would be willing to pay now that I am out of warranty though

Follow our adventures!