Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2017, 07:42 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
2018 classic 33

Overhead projection tv searches and searches but can not find a channel while hooked to park cable. Bedroom tv picks up park cable fine to cable is good.
Overhead can find over air from antenna OK when NOT hooked to park cable.
Has anyone run into this problem?
I believe it must be some setting that is off in the homworx system. All HDMI inputs have no signal except HDMI which will run through channel search to no result.
Any tips?
Thanks!
DPaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:49 AM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There is an antenna switch somewhere *or* there are two coax cables into the TV. I have not seen an AS with two cables to the TV, but never say never .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:10 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Yes and it is off as it should be when hooked to cable
Old 10-20-2017, 08:10 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Ps. Thanks for the prompt reply
Old 10-20-2017, 08:13 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
There is two coaxial hookups outside, I’ve tried both, one cable and one sat. Both give same result, no channels detected. Because its the overhead projector there is no way to see what runs into it for cables.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:29 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I *think* you will find that the system has two "chunks" to it. You will have the projector and a tuner. The tuner will feed the projector via HDMI. That's not always how it works, so again it's only a maybe. If you have a separate tuner, that's where all the antenna cables would run.

One of the two cables from the outside (normally the satellite one) goes nowhere. It simply dead ends near that AV system stuff. The idea is that you would hook it to a Direct TV box if you had one.

Bob
Old 10-21-2017, 05:45 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2001 31' Limited
2018 33' Classic
2006 28' Classic
Perth , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPaylor View Post
Overhead projection tv searches and searches but can not find a channel while hooked to park cable. Bedroom tv picks up park cable fine to cable is good.
I believe it must be some setting that is off in the homworx system. All HDMI inputs have no signal except HDMI which will run through channel search to no result.
Any tips?
Thanks!

Try this, get out the remote for the Homework system. Press menu, use arrow keys to move over two spaces (looks like a tv and a magnifying glass). Hit down arrow to “Signal Type) then use arrow keys to change Air to Cable. Then do you Auto Search, hope this helps.
Happy-rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:09 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Thanks for the reply.
I have tried that several times including using the manual search option.
On air the system works fine. AS sent me their wiring diagram and system is wired as designed. Antenna cable comes into tuner, in this case Homeworx and then out to projector as HDMI thru splitter. This is obviously connected or air wouldn’t work as it does. Again antenna has to be off for cable to work in any system and that holds true for my bedroom tv that tests fine on both cable and air.
It seems the wiring has to be OK and that there is some obscure setting that the tuner can not find channels. I don’t think there is a page on the homeworx tuner I haven’t explored.

I’m at a loss and AS techs can’t even help me, I was hoping another consumer of this model may have found the fix AS’s techs can not. Very dissatisfied with the system at this point.

Thanks again for your suggestions.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:05 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.
I have tried that several times including using the manual search option.
On air the system works fine. AS sent me their wiring diagram and system is wired as designed. Antenna cable comes into tuner, in this case Homeworx and then out to projector as HDMI thru splitter. This is obviously connected or air wouldn’t work as it does. Again antenna has to be off for cable to work in any system and that holds true for my bedroom tv that tests fine on both cable and air.
It seems the wiring has to be OK and that there is some obscure setting that the tuner can not find channels. I don’t think there is a page on the homeworx tuner I haven’t explored.

I’m at a loss and AS techs can’t even help me, I was hoping another consumer of this model may have found the fix AS’s techs can not. Very dissatisfied with the system at this point.

Thanks again for your suggestions.
Hi

Well, it is possible that the projector setup in your trailer simply is broke. The right conversation may be "how do I get this replaced?".

Bob
Old 10-24-2017, 11:37 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
AS has now responded with updated info and essentially the Homeworx system will NOT function with virtually every cable providers signal.

Quote from Homeworx
Please Note: This product does NOT work with TIVO and cable company such as Comcast, DirecTV, DISH Network, Time Warner Cable, Shaw Cable, etc. In general, this product does NOT work with encrypted cable signal. This Box is NOT a replacement of a cable company's box.

Therefore simply connecting a typical campground coaxial cable broadcast does not function.

I'm told AS is investigating a workaround or cure now that they know it's rarely usable.

As a test I have now added a cable box for a semi-permanent site I use and I even had to jumper by the Homeworx box to get a signal, with a cable box.

Beautiful large screen but a total jimmy rigged system to use it, never mind the exposed cables etc to run a cable box.....crazy they never had this engineered properly.

I will update if I learn more and appreciate any new info anyone has that has actually had success with a good work around.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:17 PM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
AS has now responded with updated info and essentially the Homeworx system will NOT function with virtually every cable providers signal.

Quote from Homeworx
Please Note: This product does NOT work with TIVO and cable company such as Comcast, DirecTV, DISH Network, Time Warner Cable, Shaw Cable, etc. In general, this product does NOT work with encrypted cable signal. This Box is NOT a replacement of a cable company's box.

Therefore simply connecting a typical campground coaxial cable broadcast does not function.

I'm told AS is investigating a workaround or cure now that they know it's rarely usable.

As a test I have now added a cable box for a semi-permanent site I use and I even had to jumper by the Homeworx box to get a signal, with a cable box.

Beautiful large screen but a total jimmy rigged system to use it, never mind the exposed cables etc to run a cable box.....crazy they never had this engineered properly.

I will update if I learn more and appreciate any new info anyone has that has actually had success with a good work around.
Hi

So it's exactly like my brand new Sony and Samsung TV's in that respect. It's also the same as a Tivo as well. It does not work with digital cable as supplied. You need to get a "Cable Card" from your cable TV outfit to get it up and running. The only thing any of this stuff *does* work with is the old style cable TV. That's still available in some areas. Some campgrounds have converters that take care of the issue for the whole place. Others supply you with a converter box.

So simple hookup, feed the cable into the "sat" input on the trailer. Grab the loose cable behind the BluRay and hook it into the supplied by the campground converter box. Route the HDMI on the converter into the TV. Return the converter at the end of your stay. It's the property of he cable company and will only work on their local system.

Problem with all that? Yup, there sure is. The only place to address it is with the cable company. That's the way they have it all set up today. Unless you can get them to change, that's the way it all will work from here on out.

Bob
Old 02-08-2018, 10:11 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Irvine , CA
Same Issue 4 Months Later

Hello DPaylor:

Curious if the saga continues or been resolved to your satisfaction? I am experiencing the exact same issue and I guess "cinema mode" really means just that; you can only watch DVD's or hook up a game system.

Quote:
Any tips?
Thanks!
Octarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:30 PM   #13
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
There is another thread around here somewhere that is discussing the same issue with the 18 Classic 33 projection. Same problem but no fix that I have read about. AS is aware of the problem. In the meantime you should still be able to use the Television in the bedroom.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:14 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Main TV is NOT compatible with normal park cable signals. I determined with a lot of research that it will only work with the digital air antenna, which also only works when a park cable is NOT hooked to unit.
This means that park cable hooked to the trailer for use in the bedroom only renders the main tv unusable (except as you say DVD).

Bottom line

Antenna both TVs ....yes
Park cable....bedroom only (plus main tv no longer works on antenna)

In my opinion this is a terribly ineffective system, not with standing the master remote system is often flawed and takes balancing. No airstream support people were of help in resolving these issues. I have put in a huge amount of time to get to the sad fact it’s just a terrible system.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:46 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Irvine , CA
Hello:

I am reposting this message from another forum as I think it might be helpful to others with 2018 Classics, but more importantly (to me :-), in case there are other issues someone else here has discovered (besides the projection TV issue) I can add to my warranty work punch list for the dealer to check:

"Fortunately, my AS dealer is only 30 minutes away. I have to say the customer service by Airstream OC is fantastic. They sent a tech out to inspect, repair where possible, document the warranty work that needed to be done, and did all the legwork getting everything approved (ordering new doors and cabinets takes time and lots of follow-up). Here's my punch list for the dealer when I drop it off:

1. Wardrobe doors and drawers - Wardrobe doors too short. Fell out on first trip, damaging drawers underneath. Verified by tech.
2. Faulty Alde temperature sensor - tech tried to replace, but wire was pinched when overhead entertainment cabinets were installed. Temporary sensor installed above bathroom door until cabinets can be pulled out at the dealer.
3. Entry door light/fixture flickers - bulb replaced. Did not fix the problem.
4. Shower lights flicker while running water pump on city water (to increase water pressure for shower).
5. Overhead blinds - all top right tensions tabs are defective
6. USB charging ports not working between recliners
7. Door lock issue - will not engage from inside unless slammed hard. Rarely on the first try.
8. Since purchase - low water pressure due to "double" regulators (at spigot and on-board) to prevent leaking from pop-off relief valve (overfilled a 5-gallon bucket in one evening) . On-board regulator replaced. Did not work. Possible replacement of pop-off relieve valve.
9. Re-set and re-install window catch assembly for large windows that are still closed on lowest notch.
10. Please inspect for missing rivets. Found several popped from first trip."
Old 05-17-2018, 08:05 AM   #16
2018 Classic 33

2018 33' Classic
Kennard , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Slipsstream
Hi Octarine, sorry you are having these issues. Is this a brand new unit? I also have a 2018 Classic 33. I can actually say that my unit is better than new! I also had punch list of issues with the new unit after purchase. I ended up taking her up to the Airstream factory in JC, Ohio. It was a great decision as the folks up there took care of everything and more. Most of the dealer service departments are limited to what they can service and repair depending on experience and shop setup. Once you get those issues ironed out you will have an amazing RV.
Slipsstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:14 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Irvine , CA
It was new when I bought it from the dealer. I did not include the last paragraph of my original post which stated how happy I am with my AS since I was responding to another member who seemed to be expressing disbelief that anyone was having issues with their new Airstreams. I'm lazy so pasting below:

Despite all of the above, I've very much enjoyed living in my Airstream every day since February. Learning how to service, maintain, and yes, even do minor repairs myself (thanks to a lot of information and advice from this forum), have given me a confidence and independence that can only be earned and lived. My husband has a 1975 Sovereign in Alaska and he enjoys my shiny-new by-the-bay abode just as much as we enjoy getting our hands dirty with his.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipsstream View Post
Hi Octarine, sorry you are having these issues. Is this a brand new unit? I also have a 2018 Classic 33. I can actually say that my unit is better than new! I also had punch list of issues with the new unit after purchase. I ended up taking her up to the Airstream factory in JC, Ohio. It was a great decision as the folks up there took care of everything and more. Most of the dealer service departments are limited to what they can service and repair depending on experience and shop setup. Once you get those issues ironed out you will have an amazing RV.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:20 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Irvine , CA
Updated List of Warranty Work

Punch list #8 is crossed off! A BIG thank you to Mike G. at the JC support line. Sent me a new city water regulator that has fixed the relief valve (constant) drip issue unless I had an additional regulator at the spigot which just killed my water pressure. I was initially skeptical since I'd also ordered a Shur-Flo from Amazon that looked identical, but since it was free (under warranty), I excepted. Installed Tuesday, waited 24 hours to make sure it worked and YAY! It does.