Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2017, 03:04 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Ponte Vedra , Florida
2018 Classic 30 and my experience

Afternoon
Well this not a thread of complaints or can you believe this negative event. Much the opposite, on the 29th we picked up our new 30 a 2018 in Ft Meyers FL. Following is a brief summary
-3 hour long orientation at delivery, full propane, full water and a clean trailer with one cabinet with a bit of construction debris.
- Pre-ordered a fantastic fan vent cover, blue ox anti sway hitch and two bottles of Alde fluid: all installed or handed to me during delivery process.
- Staying in Gulf Waters CG since Thursday pm. (What a very nice CG for FL)
Temps have been mid 90's and humidity between 50 and 90+%. AC is great and fully functioning keeping humidity inside in low 50 range. We can achieve a very comfortable temp inside, I am hesitant to note a temp as my thermometer, and the integrated sensors all show a different #, unsure which to believe! LOL, we are more than comfortable and the units do shut off periodically. What a nice touch to have the condensate line(s) routed to wheel well.

I have added or completed the following
Oxygenics shower head, temperpedic mattress topper(s) 3" variety, new lug nuts, already mentioned fan vent cover, breaker bar and socket for blue or hitch,
Removed one shelf in fridge, and added silicone lubricant to arms of zipdee awning. And tightened the toilet seat as it wiggled.

We have had a blast and not one disappointing feature or aspect. The one surprise was having to purchase a stinky slinky, our last rv came with one and it was purchased as new-Arctic Fox truck camper (with two slide outs!)

A daily lurker as we waited for delivery on our ordered trailer. Many on here have been so helpful, (they just didn't know it) I hope to contribute in some measure as well.

Cheers to all, it is 5:00 somewhere!
Travel Safe
Paratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 03:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum, and glad you are having fun in Margaritaville!

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Happy Trails!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 03:55 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cave Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratus View Post
Afternoon

Well this not a thread of complaints or can you believe this negative event. Much the opposite, on the 29th we picked up our new 30 a 2018 in Ft Meyers FL. Following is a brief summary

-3 hour long orientation at delivery, full propane, full water and a clean trailer with one cabinet with a bit of construction debris.

- Pre-ordered a fantastic fan vent cover, blue ox anti sway hitch and two bottles of Alde fluid: all installed or handed to me during delivery process.

- Staying in Gulf Waters CG since Thursday pm. (What a very nice CG for FL)

Temps have been mid 90's and humidity between 50 and 90+%. AC is great and fully functioning keeping humidity inside in low 50 range. We can achieve a very comfortable temp inside, I am hesitant to note a temp as my thermometer, and the integrated sensors all show a different #, unsure which to believe! LOL, we are more than comfortable and the units do shut off periodically. What a nice touch to have the condensate line(s) routed to wheel well.

I have added or completed the following

Oxygenics shower head, temperpedic mattress topper(s) 3" variety, new lug nuts, already mentioned fan vent cover, breaker bar and socket for blue or hitch,

Removed one shelf in fridge, and added silicone lubricant to arms of zipdee awning. And tightened the toilet seat as it wiggled.

We have had a blast and not one disappointing feature or aspect. The one surprise was having to purchase a stinky slinky, our last rv came with one and it was purchased as new-Arctic Fox truck camper (with two slide outs!)

A daily lurker as we waited for delivery on our ordered trailer. Many on here have been so helpful, (they just didn't know it) I hope to contribute in some measure as well.

Cheers to all, it is 5:00 somewhere!

Travel Safe

That sounds great - what's new in the 2018 model vs 2017?
Pete B55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Appreciate you posting your positive experience! Most folks that have your experience don't post it. That gives a skewed view of Airstream customer satisfaction on this board. To be fair, it's a problem most internet boards have.

Enjoy your new Airstream!
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:53 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

​201​9 Atlas​
West Vancouver , British Columbia
Picking ours up on Thursday from Can-Am in London, Ontario. Will post results of turnover.
ldavids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 05:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Thanks for posting. Where did they put the new Alde instant hot water heater to supplement the Alde system and do you now control the Alde with the Firefly as I've heard? We like our 2017, took a lot of adjusting but she is running pretty smoothly now.

Thanks - Enjoy
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 04:56 AM   #7
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Hi Paramus,
Congratulations on your new purchase. Sure sounds like you have had a wonderful delivery experience. Wishing you many happy years and miles of traveling. Like Bud, I am very interested in hearing about the upgrades to the Alde system.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums and to 'streaming! You've jumped in at a challenging time of year for Florida camping. If you're enjoying it now, just wait 'till you're camping between November and March.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 05:20 PM   #9

2008 25' International
Jonesboro , Arkansas
So glad to hear you have received your new Airstream Classic. My wife and I have ours ordered and are anxiously awaiting the phone call to come pick it up. Our previous Airstream was a 2008 International so many of the features on the 2018 Classic will be new to us. By reading your post, I'm curious if we need to also order a few of these items. Wondering what the vent cover does for you and if new lug nuts are for security/theft prevention? We want to be able to hit the road as soon as possible once we have it in hand. Thanks again for any helpful info you can share to make our adjustment to a modernized Airstream easy!
Foulcaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 05:43 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 19' International
Santa Margarita , California
New on 2018

What's new on the 2018:

-Updated electrical components including a new multistage charging converter
-Updated battery disconnect
-Updated HDMI cabling
-New continuous hot water feature for Classic models
-Update multiplex in Classic models featuring complete control over AC and heating
-New larger color touchscreen multiplex controls
-Redesigned pantry (only in the 30RB)
-Redesigned trunk compartment lids in the 30RB
Santa Margarita, CA
works at SkyRiver Airstream Paso Robles
www.facebook.com/CentralCoastAirstream/
www.facebook.com/AirstreamSB/
ellenbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:06 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Ponte Vedra , Florida
Afternoon All,
I will attempt to answer the questions as well a comment or two.
What changed is the following from AS:
What’s new in 2018:

Continuous hot water feature with the addition of Alde flow
Updated electronics featuring complete control over A/C & heating systems
New larger, color touchscreen multiplex control pad
Redesigned pantry & trunk compartment lids (30RB)
Emergency manual override switches for air conditioning system
Upgraded electrical system including a multi-stage converter and an improved battery disconnect feature
Combined inverter outlets eliminate need for secondary outlet
Dedicated HDMI wall plugs and wiring to articulating TVs
“Handcrafted in Jackson Center, Ohio” badge on screen door

Actually I am embarrassed to admit I didn't look for the adjunct hot water heater, I was quite focused on obtaining hot water during walk through and when achieved I was happy. As well as in SW FL in June I might have more of an appetite for a water chiller! All controls are in the Firefly and quite easy to manipulate and use. Only two things on wall above dinette and tv, Polk stereo controller and Firefly, plan to add a brass barometer-there is ample real estate for that add. I will look for this add on heater this coming weekend, I work part time and will be busy next three days then off. Back to back showers for my wife and I and no shortage, frankly is that a result of improvements or "cold" water that isn't really cold?! I don't really know, the fall will provide that answer.

The sliding narrow pantry next to fridge does have collapsing/retracting pull; does not latch or lock the door only prevents dents in fridge door.

The vent cover allows for being open in theory even during rain, there is a rain sensor as well. The lug nuts change is my obsessive type behavior. I dislike two piece lug nuts, carry my own compressor and air hose reel in my bed of truck as well as a torque wrench dedicated to the truck. I have 10 wheels (duallie and trailer) on the ground and my motorcycle days instilled a large measure of respect for tires! I also have a dedicated 20+" breaker bar with one inch socket for the cams on the blue ox hitch.

As for camping in FL; that is why the AS over the previously owned truck camper when we lived in AK. Truck camper is PERFECT in AK; not so much for visiting grandkids and living in lower 48. SW FL was surprisingly hot/humid, we had fun.

If I missed a question don't hesitate to let me know.

Travel Safe
Old 07-02-2017, 08:54 PM   #12
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Congrats and welcome to the Classic Club.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:30 AM   #13

2023 28' Pottery Barn
Watsontown , Pennsylvania
Advice on Buying Process

Hello Paratus (and everyone out there!)

I too have been lurking around for a year or so. We have been looking/dreaming of traveling in an AS. Been to the RV shows, talked briefly to dealers... but have not started any serious talks. Starting from scratch so I am learning as much as possilbe prior to the plunge.

Can you comment on the amount of research that you did prior to buying your AS? I am thinking that when ordering there are little (maybe 1) option to choose, other than interior. Do the dealers then try to sell you options? Are there dealer installed options that are worth the cost? Things that should be installed by "a qualified" person?

Thanks for any input provided.

D88PSU

No trailer
No Tow vehicle
Big Dreams
Old 07-03-2017, 07:55 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Euless , Texas
Awesome news and congratulations! We are in the market for a gently used 2017 but contemplating a 2018 twin. Was there a significant price increase? Were they willing to negotiate? Thanks!
gesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:13 AM   #15
Classy Roscoe

Fantastic News!

What fantastic news! Our launch of a 2017 Classice had many issues, but it sounds like the 2018's have addressed many of those.

But what really makes it is the fire brand, "Handcrafted in Jackson Center, Ohio".
To me that announcement tells me that Airstream is trying hard to live up to the preservation of the brand.

Maybe this IS the "golden age of Airstream"

Have many, many great adventures.

JE
Classy Rosco 30' Twin
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:45 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Hollidaysburg , Pennsylvania
Ready to go!

We are proud new owners of a 2017 Classic Queen. We researched for almost a year, starting at the big RV show in Hershey, PA. New AS models start rolling out in May, so Spring is a good time to buy, if you'd like to get a deal on a current year model. You just have to be ready to settle for what you can find on a lot. I would have preferred different colors, but not worth ordering a 2018 and paying around 20 grand more. We've had ours on our property to get familiar with everything. Found some minor glitches, but have scheduled to have all taken care of in a day, at our local dealer, in Altoona, PA.
Lljones07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:02 PM   #17
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Lljones - congrats and welcome to the Airstream family. Hoping for many years and many miles of Streaming for you. If you are new to Airstream then this forum is the place to learn. Cheers.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:51 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Ponte Vedra , Florida
D88PSU,
I am not sure how to quantify the level of research in purchasing our AS. A fair amount of reading forums, remembering that everyone online is an expert, haha. Looking at various class and manufacturers. We already owned a suitable truck tow vehicle.

We did not find the sales folks to be aggressive at all. However my perspective is skewed as I was in sales for 30 plus years (B2B in the paper industry), I am perhaps a hard grader on sales and associated skill set. We were counseled that the factory solar was perhaps not the best value; I remain undecided on additional power charging of solar or generator.

I would not expect a large amount of discount from list as I am hearing of lengthy lead times right now on AS.

With one son a huge Lindross fan back in the day, and wife who was born aug 8 and from PA, your screen user name is intriguing-care to elaborate?

Enjoy the process
Old 07-03-2017, 04:52 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Ponte Vedra , Florida
Lljones,
I am envious of storage on site at home!

Enjoy

Travel Safe
Old 07-04-2017, 03:49 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lljones07 View Post
We are proud new owners of a 2017 Classic Queen. We researched for almost a year, starting at the big RV show in Hershey, PA. New AS models start rolling out in May, so Spring is a good time to buy, if you'd like to get a deal on a current year model. You just have to be ready to settle for what you can find on a lot. I would have preferred different colors, but not worth ordering a 2018 and paying around 20 grand more. We've had ours on our property to get familiar with everything. Found some minor glitches, but have scheduled to have all taken care of in a day, at our local dealer, in Altoona, PA.

Congratulations on your new 2017 Classic, we have enjoyed ours having it since October and spending over 100 nights so far. Ansley's are good people and a good dealer, we purchased a motorhome from them several years ago.

Safe Travels.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote