Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-19-2017, 09:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bay Area , West Coast
2017 Classic Water Pouring Out Of Drains - Why

Today I moved sites approx 2 miles. When I connected the City Water line, i heard an awful pump sound and then water started pouring out of the drains below the dinette. Of course i freaked and shut off the water and thought I had blown some kind of line, searched all the common locations. I could not see any water inside anywhere, Thank God!

Let it sit for while and repeated, same thing?

I believe it's coming from The Alde System, but can't find out why?, or how to stop it.

Heating system is working fine, circ. pump OK. just can't use city water. Freshwater holding tank works.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Paul
Old 02-19-2017, 09:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
No idea, but Jackson center customer service should be able to help.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:06 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Is your relief valve on the Alde popped open. Yellow toggle under the dinette seat near the hot water tank.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:20 AM   #4
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
This only happens when you are hooked up to city water? Very strange. When you are using the holding tanks for fresh water and use the water pump everything is working with no leaks, is that correct? Are you using a water pressure regulator? Maybe the new site has a higher pressure but still.....have you been able to isolate the leak yet?
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
You said the system is working fine, do you have hit water? Two valves at end of dinette seat, one relief (yellow) flip and another black turn style release water from the hot water tank.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:11 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bay Area , West Coast
@Mojoe7009 Thanks, I checked Yellow Toggle, it's in the Horizontal position
Old 02-20-2017, 08:13 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bay Area , West Coast
@Kendrick.l.j The Classic has a built in pressure regulator, I'm getting hot water from my Fresh wtr holding tank, and the heat is fine, circ. pump is good.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:19 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bay Area , West Coast
@Paiceman The yellow toggle is in the Horizontal position and the the Black shutoff right behind it is in the closed position. The only thing i see is plumbing that looks to be installed by a 10 year old, not a straight pipe in the whole mess. The need some training for sure!
Old 02-20-2017, 08:37 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
It does look that way but it seems to work, at least in our first month out. There is another valve towards the road side I think, but the front needs to be pulled off the dinette.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:42 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bay Area , West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
No idea, but Jackson center customer service should be able to help.

Mike
They really are struggling with an answer so far
Old 02-20-2017, 10:57 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bay Area , West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
It does look that way but it seems to work, at least in our first month out. There is another valve towards the road side I think, but the front needs to be pulled off the dinette.
I have been on the phone with JC. I shut everything down and drained the system, waited a few minutes and tried city water again, same problem, they suspect a bad safety valve? Now I've got a very long trip to the next Alde Service center...Pretty much sucks
Old 02-20-2017, 12:07 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Won't Airstream over night one to you?
Old 02-20-2017, 04:17 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Lander , Wyoming
Oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSIN View Post
Today I moved sites approx 2 miles. When I connected the City Water line, i heard an awful pump sound and then water started pouring out of the drains below the dinette. Of course i freaked and shut off the water and thought I had blown some kind of line, searched all the common locations. I could not see any water inside anywhere, Thank God!

Let it sit for while and repeated, same thing?

I believe it's coming from The Alde System, but can't find out why?, or how to stop it.

Heating system is working fine, circ. pump OK. just can't use city water. Freshwater holding tank works.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Paul
Paul,

Are you sure you didn't accidentally hook the water up to the black water tank flushing line instead of the city water connection? It's easy to do.
Wetfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:24 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bay Area , West Coast
Smile I think they discovered an oversight. Still testing

After a few calls and a few internal discussion at JC they called me back with a potential issue.

Airstreams come with a pressure regulator set for 60 PSI, that's all good, and should protect all the internal plumbing etc.

The issue looks to be that the ALDE system also has a pressure regulator, but there's is set at 50 PSI. You can see the issue. Anything over 50 PSI and Houston we have a problem.

I went out a purchased a regulator with a gauge, and am currently reading 48 PSI.

We'll let is set overnight to see if this is the issue, but if this works it really means that the main pressure regulator at the inlet is mismatched to the Alde so AS really needs to address this. I'll post a video on Youtube if this is the issue so others can learn.

Hoping that it's this simple!
Old 02-20-2017, 04:26 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bay Area , West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetfeet View Post

Paul,

Are you sure you didn't accidentally hook the water up to the black water tank flushing line instead of the city water connection? It's easy to do.
That would be funny, but no I have a distinct way of making sure.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Quote:
I have been on the phone with JC. I shut everything down and drained the system, waited a few minutes and tried city water again, same problem, they suspect a bad safety valve? Now I've got a very long trip to the next Alde Service center...Pretty much sucks
I'd call first. Out of curiosity I called service centers where we are now. No one has the valve, earliest it could be secured, two weeks. Again out of curiosity I checked mine, it's cracked due to being fastened to the floor by the factory way too tight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetfeet View Post

Paul,

Old 02-21-2017, 02:29 AM   #17
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
After being told about city water hooks and potential problems I went out and bought a pressure regulator that is hooked up before it reaches the TT just to be safe. Mine is set at 50psi. I figured it was better to prevent a problem from happening before it hits the AS the better. If the pressure regulator trips at least the water will be outside.
Btw, where is the AS pressure regulator inside. I know, I know, I am being lazy.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:16 AM   #18
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Lazy no, inquisitive yes. The Classic regulator is right behind the city water inlet, four screws. That compartment is also accessible from the side by removing three screws inside the hose connection exterior box.

After my external water line froze twice in low teens overnight, I carefully added pink insulation in that enclosed space behind the city water input and used gray pipe foam insulation to seal the box joint to the belly, just behind the left wheel to keep road water out of it. No more frozen since.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:51 AM   #19
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Smells bad

Quote:
After a few calls and a few internal discussion at JC they called me back with a potential issue.

Airstreams come with a pressure regulator set for 60 PSI, that's all good, and should protect all the internal plumbing etc.

The issue looks to be that the ALDE system also has a pressure regulator, but there's is set at 50 PSI. You can see the issue. Anything over 50 PSI and Houston we have a problem.

I went out a purchased a regulator with a gauge, and am currently reading 48 PSI.

We'll let is set overnight to see if this is the issue, but if this works it really means that the main pressure regulator at the inlet is mismatched to the Alde so AS really needs to address this. I'll post a video on Youtube if this is the issue so others can learn.

Hoping that it's this simple!
I'm suspicious of that JC answer on two points;

1. Implies all Classics w/ ALDE have not been hooked up to city water greater than 50 psi, anywhere.
2. The installed pump produces 55 psi, so why doesn't it lift the Safety Valve.

I'm resisting the idea that we are participating in Beta trials for Classic ALDE, but it's getting more difficult.
james.mileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:50 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bay Area , West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mileur View Post
Lazy no, inquisitive yes. The Classic regulator is right behind the city water inlet, four screws. That compartment is also accessible from the side by removing three screws inside the hose connection exterior box.

After my external water line froze twice in low teens overnight, I carefully added pink insulation in that enclosed space behind the city water input and used gray pipe foam insulation to seal the box joint to the belly, just behind the left wheel to keep road water out of it. No more frozen since.
I used foam pipe insulation with heat tape inside, worked great down to 27 Degrees anyway, I really don't want to be in cold weather again..LOL