Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2017, 10:38 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bay Area , West Coast
2017 Classic Quality Issues - Anyone else?

I'm wondering is anyone is experiencing the same quality problems we're having.

I understand a few minor mechanical issues popping up, and we've had a few, for the most part the Dealer has addressed these fine, and in speaking with JC they seem to have no issue correcting problems and were helpful with the Alde issue and recent water regulator issue.

I'm now facing another quality problem with the upholstery, the dinette seats look like hell. Sagging foam, and now today the seams are splitting. We had a 30 Year old Winnebago and it's seats were better than this 5 Month old Classic, It's very disappointing to say the least.

Here's a rundown of the issues, or at least the ones I remember. Again we're just wondering if anyone else is having the same amount of issues.

Alde Heater - Glycol issue - I fixed myself
Automatic Awning - We bent it, it can't handle any, i mean any rain, or wind
Exterior Lamps water inside - Dealer replaced.
Zamp Solar System - Not delivering the performance it should, possible bad panel per Zamp. (nice folks)
4 Windows - Would not stay open in 1st position, Dealer re-rivited catch mechanisms.
Bathroom Sink - Gel Coat wearing away, and does not drain, (no proper sink angle- JC said they replace, but i need to go there.
Bathroom Door Warped 1/2 inch top to bottom- Recently discovered.
Alde Pressure regulators don't match main city hookup regulator - have to use external regulator which reduces overall pressure.
Floor warped, creaking and sagging in 4 foot section - Dealer says need to remove belly pan to fix.
Blinds can't make it past the window operators - have to pull back on the valance to make it clear.
Blinds would not stay up - Dealer adjusted
Shower light Fell out of ceiling. - I fixed myself the right way
Gas line interfering with Stabilizer Jack - Dealer corrected.
Firefly - Not reading levels correctly - sometimes OK, others it's a guess
Locker light broke - Dealer ordered a new one
Upholstery - See above

We love the trailer, but it does not feel like a luxury trailer we thought we were buying, just another RV with the same problems.

I know all these will be addressed, but it's not what we expected and since we're full time, any repairs cause major disruption.

Thanks, Be nice
Old 02-22-2017, 11:02 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
I was also disappointed in the general build quality of my 2017 22' Sport. I detailed some of the issues in another thread, with photos, but there are other items that have cropped up since. I've taken matters into my own hands, as it seems you have. That's not really an acceptable way forward for Airstream the company, but the alternative - taking it in for service and getting a "maybe" fix - wasn't an acceptable way forward for me.

I paid significantly less than you for my entry-level trailer, and there are less "features" on my AS to go wrong. Given your outlay and full-time situation, I'm quite sympathetic to your situation. I truly wish you the best in getting resolution. My understanding is that once you take it in, service is excellent. It's too bad the QC at the factory isn't quite as good.
ohmman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:33 PM   #3
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
OSIN, thanks for comprehensive list. I did notice the inconsistencies in the window position brackets, but now use the first position to fix the handle-blind interference on most of the windows. I'm still not accepting JC 's answer for the safety valve since the pump discharge is >50#. All things Alde is due to violating my rule for buying first production year models (cars, now TT's), so I guess we are the Beta trial guys. Where is your floor warped? We've been in ours full time since late October, but no issues with upholstery, just slippery and soft. Which levels on the Firefly? And please add to your list, lack of updates to 2017 Owners Manual to reflect changes to Battery disconnect switch, Awning lock, and new DC breaker panel G6 vs. fuses on Converter panel. Also appears there is a problem with the converter. Mine failed, my selling dealer was trying to get one for me, available inventory was "0" from JC and he had already replaced 3-4 at their dealership for the model year. Fortunately, Parallax provided a replacement. I've noticed others in the forum with converter complaints or have already replaced them.

After 30+ years operating and maintaining nuke subs, these tin spuds are about on par for production line produced travel trailers, where test depth is the road surface and reliability is measured by the inconvenience/comfort level vs. survivability from attack by the bad guys. If still give it 4 stars compared to the best box trailer we toured and wondered if it would last five years. JC service doesn't have the same production quota the assembly line has, as good as they do, and all the quality programs in place, we get to be the squeeky wheel to continue the process improve.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Aside from Alde issues at beginning, no issues. Alde now dumps water out of cold outlet on to the ground at periodic intervals. No pattern, but now daily. I've drained the hot water tank to build up air pocket twice and put external pressure regulator on the hose, but no change. Never happened in cold weather. Interested seeing if anyone else is experiencing this.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
You talk about the pressure regulator, does the system have a temperature regulator too that might cause the dump?
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Good question, not sure, not mentioned in owners manual for pressure or temp. But my guess is there is for both
Old 02-24-2017, 09:12 AM   #7
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
While in the teens of December in Texas, if there was a temp dump I didn't notice. I saw heat water Temps as high as 185. With the safety outlet below the trailer out of sight, not a normal view for operation. Guess I'll run some catchment to get it out to the door side so I can monitor.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:13 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
We are on concrete pad and any water shows a spot on there easily. I don't think it's temp actuated I think it's only pressure.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:33 AM   #9
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Got mine in December and have been it full time since then. Yes, I had an issue with Alde and the mixing valve. Both issues have been corrected. I have not had any other problems. No awning problem, no upolstery problems, no warping, nothing. I am on guard constantly looking for potential problems but none have happened and I don't think I am being usually careful.
I hate to hear about the problems others are having because it makes me aware that the decision to buy this was probably not my best idea. Not just AS but any RV. When this one dies I will not buy another RV. Too much stress worrying about all the things that can break which takes away from any enjoymen.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:53 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
The chronic problems Airstream Jackson Center has had were supposed to be cured by their new quality program a year ago or more. I have to wonder, do they actually ever fire anyone from the production line for incompetence? I am betting that all the emphasis JC places on the factory staff being family means that quality is secondary to family warm fuzzies.

My eight year old Lexus at 85K miles is still on the original brakes and other than the air bag recalls, has been the most trouble free automobile I've ever owned. Airstreams would be a better quality product if they hired the Lexus factory team leaders to run the plant, IMO.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
Got mine in December and have been it full time since then. Yes, I had an issue with Alde and the mixing valve. Both issues have been corrected. I have not had any other problems. No awning problem, no upolstery problems, no warping, nothing. I am on guard constantly looking for potential problems but none have happened and I don't think I am being usually careful.
I hate to hear about the problems others are having because it makes me aware that the decision to buy this was probably not my best idea. Not just AS but any RV. When this one dies I will not buy another RV. Too much stress worrying about all the things that can break which takes away from any enjoymen.
Actually no real issues, but after 45 years of RVing we are considering a winter condo or home and forsaking the life style. This is a decision that will be worked over time and given lots of consideration by both of us. I will say, however, this 2017 Classic is by far the best RV we've ever owned, both workmanship and quality - so far.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:21 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Saint Joseph , Michigan
Want'a haves and lurkers take note...

My 2¢.. buy a few years pre-owned from a reputable dealer. Let owner #1 take the depreciation hit and get all those pesky things fixed.
TruckerFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
For what it's worth, I always use a Valtera 50-55 psi pressure regulator, at the water supply tower.
Why? Just because!
It also protects my hose from overpressure bursting.

Look after your equipment, it will look after you.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Osin, I've had a lot of similar problems with my 2016 Classic. Almost everything I have fixed myself. Let's just say, Airstream "quality" is anything but.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:09 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Asheville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSIN View Post
I'm wondering is anyone is experiencing the same quality problems we're having.

I understand a few minor mechanical issues popping up, and we've had a few, for the most part the Dealer has addressed these fine, and in speaking with JC they seem to have no issue correcting problems and were helpful with the Alde issue and recent water regulator issue.

I'm now facing another quality problem with the upholstery, the dinette seats look like hell. Sagging foam, and now today the seams are splitting. We had a 30 Year old Winnebago and it's seats were better than this 5 Month old Classic, It's very disappointing to say the least.

Here's a rundown of the issues, or at least the ones I remember. Again we're just wondering if anyone else is having the same amount of issues.

Alde Heater - Glycol issue - I fixed myself
Automatic Awning - We bent it, it can't handle any, i mean any rain, or wind
Exterior Lamps water inside - Dealer replaced.
Zamp Solar System - Not delivering the performance it should, possible bad panel per Zamp. (nice folks)
4 Windows - Would not stay open in 1st position, Dealer re-rivited catch mechanisms.
Bathroom Sink - Gel Coat wearing away, and does not drain, (no proper sink angle- JC said they replace, but i need to go there.
Bathroom Door Warped 1/2 inch top to bottom- Recently discovered.
Alde Pressure regulators don't match main city hookup regulator - have to use external regulator which reduces overall pressure.
Floor warped, creaking and sagging in 4 foot section - Dealer says need to remove belly pan to fix.
Blinds can't make it past the window operators - have to pull back on the valance to make it clear.
Blinds would not stay up - Dealer adjusted
Shower light Fell out of ceiling. - I fixed myself the right way
Gas line interfering with Stabilizer Jack - Dealer corrected.
Firefly - Not reading levels correctly - sometimes OK, others it's a guess
Locker light broke - Dealer ordered a new one
Upholstery - See above

We love the trailer, but it does not feel like a luxury trailer we thought we were buying, just another RV with the same problems.

I know all these will be addressed, but it's not what we expected and since we're full time, any repairs cause major disruption.

Thanks, Be nice
I bought our 30' International from last Memorial day. We slept in it over night at the dealership. All fine at that point. The next night camping I awoke to a pool of water on the floor underneath the dinette. We dropped it off at the nearest dealer and they removed the dinette (no easy chore) and discovered that a fitting going in to the water heater had been cross threaded at the factory. The next time we went camping I discovered that the 3 recessed lights over the dinette were not working. I spoke to service at my nearest AS dealer, the customer service in Ohio, and consulted utube videos. I dug out my old dusty VOM and eventually found the faulty connection. No more problems yet but I feel certain that there will be. AS are vastly better constructed than their competition. But each one comes with a punch list to be corrected either by AS dealers or by the owner/operator. Usually with patience all wrinkles get worked out in the first year. I have found AS dealers and AS Ohio to be helpful, considerate and knowledgeable. Other travel trailers or RV's will come with a yet to be discovered punch list equal to or greater than you'll get with AS. Just like owning a home, it probably pays to either enjoy being handy or be prepared to pay others who are so inclined.

Sorry you've had trouble. I hope you get your rather large punch list corrected and I hope you get a chance to enjoy your new AS. This is my 2nd new AS. There is no other TT or MH that I would swap for. Most AS owners are happy campers And you will find a large and loyal group of fellow AS owners as you travel. Good luck!

Greg
ashrink12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:33 PM   #16
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Cool 2017 Classic ducted vent covers keep falling out

Every single one of the vents for the AC/HP/fan ( the round ones in the ceiling ) have fallen out in the last couple of days. Yup, weird I know...I can't seem to get them back in securely and worried about getting knocked in the head by one of these obnoxious puppies. I know I could use duct tape to get them to stay up or just leave them out altogether but there must be a better way. I am sure this has happened to others but I couldn't find a thread. I am also pretty sure this isn't just a new Classic question but again, I couldn't find anything. Tried to get the prongs to move out a little more but concerned about breaking the plastic. Help please. Thanks

Lauri
Old 02-26-2017, 02:53 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
2017 Classic ducted vent covers keep falling out

That's pretty weird. Ours are pretty solid.

I'd probably try a small length of 1" Gorilla tape around the edge, then cram judiciously in place, using the tape as a shim of sorts. At least until they stop dropping on your noggin or you can get to a dealer to figure out why.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 03:27 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Pretty common with these. Try bending tabs out a little more so they bite better. Heat may help
Old 02-26-2017, 03:30 PM   #19
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Thanks guys. I will give it a try.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:46 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Read last posts on page two of this thread for help. You're not alone!http://www.airforums.com/forums/f542...ng-156689.html