Old 05-04-2017, 11:30 AM   #71
3 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Aptos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
Some of the highest quality stuff out there is built built by hand. Saying "built by hand" comes with low quality is nonsense. Many of the faults on mine and many other Airstreams are due to simple negligence, no oversight or quality control steps. Not from being "built by hand".
I also wholeheartedly concur: it is simply negligence. The laughable irony is that the root of the word negligence (Lat. negligium, from neglegerium), means to neglect, literally "not to pick up something”, which is hilarious because of the quart ziplock bag I filled with misc screws, debris and trash from my new AS, which no one ever cleaned or “picked up”. As a business owner, I build things by hand AND by robot all the time and AS's product (the one I bought at least) and my company's finished product, are not from the same planet. I have worked diligently for 30 years to build the highest quality product in multiple businesses with no real advertising or marketing, just word of mouth and reputation. At AS's level of finished product workmanship, I would have been out of business in 30 days. Without marketing and advertising, AS probably wouldn't have endured this long. As some else succulently said, "AS quality is a myth”.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:29 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair, PA/Titusville, FL , PA-Summer/FL-Winter
Rapid expansion at the factory, too fast with not enough people on the floor to oversee what the new hourly employees are doing is also an issue in my opinion.

I like SilverLife filled a quart plastic bag with wire clippings, screws, rivets, pieces of pipe and sawdust in every crack and corner. AS probably builds about 20 units a day. Not sure why hiring one or two people to pick up, clean up and vacuum out each unit is unreasonable. Plus, I blame the dealers, they too should take responsibility to look behind drawers, under furniture etc and clean up what the factory did not. But, then I could write a book on trying to manage a dealer network.

I am not disappointed at all with the function and comfort of our Classic, the presentation from the factory and the dealer leaves much to be desired. As has been mentioned it shows an attitude and not a good one.

Bud
2017 30' Classic - F350 6.7 Diesel Crew
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote