Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2017, 04:46 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
San Mateo , California
2016 Classic Inverter plugs not working

Hello all. I have a 2016 Classic 30. Was out last weekend and suddenly all the inverter plugs stopped working. This includes the Sofa recliner, TV and DVD. I checked the breakers and fuses (located under the wardrobe closet) and all look fine and not tripped. All fuses ok as well. I turned on the Inverter and it seems to work (green light is on and you hear the fan from the Inverter unit).

Is there anywhere else I should be looking to get the plugs to work? Thank you for feedback and advise.
Arbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:14 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Are you trying to run the inverter, or is it only the outlets that are also powered by the inverter not working? If you are using the inverter, are the batteries charged? What have you been running with it? You may have inadvertently overloaded it, and it may have tripped its overload protection.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:55 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
San Mateo , California
Hello overlander63. Yes, the outlets that are also powered by the Inverter are not working, even when plugged to 30amp. These outlets include the one under the dinette, recliner and TVs.

No major load on any of these outlets. It feels like it may have tripped, but none of the breakers are tripped.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Sounds like a transfer switch problem. Do the outlets work if you turn the inverter off and have shore power?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:23 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
San Mateo , California
TG Twinkie, the outlets do not work with the Inverter on or off. I am plugged to shore power and all other plugs and systems work. It is just the ones on the Inverter circuit that do not.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Not sure which brand of inverter you have. Some monitor the Shore Power voltage. When Shore Power is available it is "passed thru" the inverter. Which is meant to save battery use.
This "pass thru" function is accomplished with a transfer relay or switch. When shore power is available the relay picks up and connects the Shore power to the output of the inverter. Just prior to connection the shore power the relay disconnects the output of the inverter. Thus preventing cross feeding between the inverter output and shore power.
Have you checked the battery voltage? I will assume if it was low you would hear an alarm.
I am not sure if the output of your inverter is wired to a circuit breaker or other protective device. Most are not since they will "crowbar" and shut down if overloaded.
My guess is that the outlets involved here are wired to the inverter only. If the auto transfer function has failed you will not have power to the outlets.
Maybe you have answered this. Have you tried removing shore power to see if you have power at these outlets? Have you checked the battery voltage with shore power off?
Old 07-20-2017, 09:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
One more question.
Can you read the voltagle at the inverter? What I am looking for is the presence of shore power at the inverter. The terminals for a
AC power should be labeled "in" and "out" or something similar. Check the "in" for voltage when shore power is connected.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:52 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Sanford , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
One more question.
Can you read the voltagle at the inverter? What I am looking for is the presence of shore power at the inverter. The terminals for a
AC power should be labeled "in" and "out" or something similar. Check the "in" for voltage when shore power is connected.
We had inadvertently bumped the button on our inverter, under the couch, and nothing worked. Check the position of the button, to the right of the voltage readout on our 2015 FC inverter, and see if that has any effect.
Patrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:22 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
San Mateo , California
Thanks for the help guys. With the shore power plugged, everything works, except for the Inverter plugs.

With the shore power unplugged, and the 'USE' button turned on, again everything works except the Inverter plugs.

Patrr, I looked at the Inverter (which is underneath the dinette chair), it seems to be working fine, either turned on through the remote switch at the galley or turned on using the 'RED' button beside the Inverter voltage readout.

I think I'll have to bring the unit into the dealer and have them figure this out. I thought it might be a simple fuse or breaker somewhere, but I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find one for these Inverter Plugs.

Thanks again for your input.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:28 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
San Mateo , California
Thanks guys.

With the shore power plugged, everything works except the Inverter plugs. With the shore power unplugged, and the 'USE' button turned on, again everything works except the Inverter plugs.

The Inverter is located underneath the dinette chair. The voltage reads 118 / 119. The Inverter seems to be working fine, whether turned on from the remote switch in the galley, or by using the 'red' button beside the voltage readout on the Inverter.

I think I may have to take the unit into the dealer. I was hoping it was a simple fuse or breaker for the Inverter plugs, but I can't seem to find any.

Thanks again for your inputs.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:02 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Just in case anybody else is digging into this, there is often a fuse in the inverter to protect the "inverter" outlets. If it blows, you loose those outlets on shore power or on inverter. Since the fuse is in an odd place, people miss it when digging into things.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:30 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
Santa Fe , NM
Inverted Plugs - Classic 30

Just brought home a 2018 Classic 30. On shore power (50 amp) everything runs, except the inverted plugs (TVs and power foot rests). But, the plugs work with the inverted turned on. That's not right, is it? Any suggestions? I have checked and reset all shore power and 12v breakers. No change.
SPP52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:05 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
2016 Classic Inverter plugs not working

Has anyone tested and reset the GFI?
Old 03-05-2018, 05:42 AM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPP52 View Post
Just brought home a 2018 Classic 30. On shore power (50 amp) everything runs, except the inverted plugs (TVs and power foot rests). But, the plugs work with the inverted turned on. That's not right, is it? Any suggestions? I have checked and reset all shore power and 12v breakers. No change.
Hi

If you take a look at the faceplate on the inverter, there is a fuse holder. Pop the fuse out and check it with an ohm meter. I'd bet it's blown. It happens ....

Bob
Old 03-05-2018, 08:56 AM   #15
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi Arbi,

Please call our customer service and technical support team at*1 (877) 596-6111, option 2 so we can learn more and help.

Thanks.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:41 PM   #16

2019 28' International
Bella Vista , Arkansas
if the inverter fuse is hard to find where would I look on an international 28ft ?
GaryJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:58 AM   #17
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryJaw View Post
if the inverter fuse is hard to find where would I look on an international 28ft ?
Hi

Which inverter fuse are you looking for?

The 12V inline fuse is a giant honker inside a plastic shield. It's fairly close to the inverter. The 120V fuse is on the front or back panel of your inverter (depending on model). You may have a breaker on the inverter rather than a fuse (again depending on exactly which inverter you have). There is also a breaker in the AC panel that feeds the inverter.

Bob