Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2016, 05:48 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Columbus , Ohio
2016 Classic

We just took delivery of our 2016 Classic. Like everyone else we love our trailer but we're surprised with the quality issues on delivery. Nothing major, in fact most things I could probably fix myself pretty quickly but still a little disappointing. Overall it seems that the cabinet doors are just so heavy that they can easily bounce out of place. I found on numerous cabinets that the screws that mount the hinges to the frame were just over tightened at the factory stripping out wood and making the fastener basically useless. One of our overhead doors just about fell off and I had to do a fix with toothpicks, wood glue and screw it back in. One thing to watch out for is that we noticed that some of the lights inside the cabinets were not going out because the contact was misaligned with a small rubber nub. Those were a simple matter of removing the nub and regluing it in the correct place. I too had a problem with the bathroom door not latching. The dealer tweaked it but it can be improved. Our outside door also does not seem to be correctly seated near the top. I'm not sure what you do about this but it seems like it needs to be bent a little bit to make it fit right.

I realize it sounds like complaining but we really do love the trailer. Will just continue to make a list and get all these things taken care of and before you know it, it'll be perfect.

On our previous trailer I installed an air bladder and our pump hardly ever went off when all fixtures are off. Maybe one burp per night. It's been so long since I did that I don't recall how often the pump used to burp. It seems it's going off for a half second every 30 minutes. I understand water is constantly heating and cooling inside the system but when it goes off every 30 minutes it tends to make me wonder if there's a small leak somewhere. Is this the frequency everyone else is observing right now?

Thanks for the insights.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:36 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2016 30' Classic
Covington , Louisiana
I also had an issue with the exterior door alignment on my 2016 classic. It seems to be a common problem. I brought it to my dealer (Foley RV-great people) and they fixed it in five minutes by bending it back into alignment. Simple fix. I also have other issues that will need correction but I am satisfied overall. The trailer aesthetics are unmatched. We love our unit.
Sjcjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Good info. I have a 2016 Classic getting delivered in a couple of months.

I guess I am wondering how much I should have Colonial fix on delivery and how much I fix myself. I usually do repairs better than dealers seeing as I have the time and a vested interest in a good result.

I may just leave dealer repairs for the large stuff, Are you guys saying they physically bend the whole door to get it to align?
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:17 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
Our 2016 Classic is at the dealer having the exterior door rebent for the same reason - you could see daylight out the upper corner. We also had a drawer that would not connect to the railing, and a light fixture that failed after 500 miles. Never-the-less we are very happy too, and expect that within a few months, these issues will be a distant memory.
phann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:21 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Columbus , Ohio
I have a couple questions for which I cannot find documentation or dealer guidance. I figure someone here may have insight...

1) The safe. I was given 4 keys (deadbolt, door handle, storage and water cover). None of them seem to fit the safe. Dealer thought safe would be open with key inside. I can't seem to pry the safe door open. The key slot is running from front to back. I give up. Any thoughts?

2) Stereo. There's a mini-jack next to the USB input. AUX input seems to be used by the TV. Anyone know which input this is?

A bit embarrassed asking, but appreciate the help.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:34 PM   #6
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Interesting. In my 2015 Classic the safe key is a Tubular Lock (ACE) type. They were stored on top of the safe under the floor cover. Maybe they changed the type of safe.

Round jack I believe is a stereo input to the audio system. 1/8 Phone plug.

How about a photo of your safe?
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:27 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Columbus , Ohio
Someone told me the mini jack and USB are sharing the same input. One or the other.

In case this happens to anyone else, we found the keys locked inside the safe. We can only imagine that someone left the keys on top of the safe which was locked and then the keys slid off the top into a 1/4" gap around the safe door dropping down into the safe. Only because the keys had slid to the side directly below the gap, my wife was able to spot them using a flashlight and fished them out of the locked safe with a coat hanger!
Old 04-01-2016, 09:32 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff4506 View Post
In case this happens to anyone else, we found the keys locked inside the safe. We can only imagine that someone left the keys on top of the safe which was locked and then the keys slid off the top into a 1/4" gap around the safe door dropping down into the safe. Only because the keys had slid to the side directly below the gap, my wife was able to spot them using a flashlight and fished them out of the locked safe with a coat hanger!
Interesting coincidence - We recently brought our Classic home and couldn't find the keys to the safe. I remembered that the keys had been taped to the top of the safe when we did the walkthrough and (being an old phart), assumed I had misplaced them since then. After reading Jeff4506's post, I looked at the bottom of the locked safe with a flashlight - through the gap he described. Spotted the keys and fished them out with a hanger!! Thanks Jeff
phann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
1) The safe. I was given 4 keys (deadbolt, door handle, storage and water cover). None of them seem to fit the safe. Dealer thought safe would be open with key inside. I can't seem to pry the safe door open. The key slot is running from front to back. I give up. Any thoughts?
Our safe keys were missing when we took delivery. Turns out they were also inside the locked safe. During our first Warranty trip to the Airstream Service Center, they had to remove the safe, turn it upside down, and shake the keys out of the gap. Or at least that is how they told us they got them out.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:53 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Indianapolis , Indiana
Quote:
One thing to watch out for is that we noticed that some of the lights inside the cabinets were not going out because the contact was misaligned with a small rubber nub. Those were a simple matter of removing the nub and regluing it in the correct place.

Our outside door also does not seem to be correctly seated near the top. I'm not sure what you do about this but it seems like it needs to be bent a little bit to make it fit right.

Thanks for the insights.
We, too, noticed the inside cabinet lights would not go off because of misalignment and were able to fix that.

And the outside door would not shut without out a hard slam. We were able to twist it a bit to make it close easier, but it's still not right.

We are headed to JC to have several things fixed in early May and the outside door will be one of them.

Good luck with your new Classic and happy traveling!

Susan
Indianapolis, IN
SusanFleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:42 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Columbus , Ohio
I have another small gripe. The folding mid section of the couch - mine doesn't nearly lay flat as it seems the seat and back cushions interfere with each other. Mine probably lays at a 10 degree angle despite attempts to manhandle it level. Is that one of those hopeful design failures or does anyone's actually lay flat? Dealer has my unit now but I forgot to add this to the list - feel sheepish asking about a number of the quality issues I have but what's the point otherwise? Just a bunch of non-working decent ideas.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:23 AM   #12

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
It is ridiculous how poor the initial delivery quality is. It's the way car companies were back in the 70s. It's just little things that can be corrected, but is a bit disappointing when your out camping for the first time and something doesn't work because of poor assembly. And then it takes a month to get a service appointment to fix it.
Tumbleweed83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:35 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
If there were such a flag, "We don't give a S**t", it would be flying over Airstream.

There is absolutely NO excuse for a $140,000 Classic to have ANY problems when delivered to the customer associated with either assembly and or the so called dealership pre-delivery inspection to correct any missed QC issues.

Airstream management had better hope the future NEST customers don't read this forum as the future customer base would be scared away from all these totally preventable QC issues we know will be there in a totally new product and manufacturing process. Especially if the flag mentioned above is flying over the Nest building as well.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:01 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Columbus , Ohio
So Tumbleweed83 and switz, after enjoying your responses, do your tables lay flat? Based on my cushion thicknesses and where the hinging apparatus is located, I don't see how it's possible.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:48 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The lack of attention to quality control is not limited to the 2016 Classics.

I was at the factory for the entire build of our 2014 Classic in January of 2014 and the QC issues were personally shown to the QC supervisor and followed up with an email. They were not addressed at the factory. If I had not been there every day, the approved change order for different stock flooring and bathroom backsplash would not have been implemented because of failure of the salesman to follow up on the order progress. The dealer would have had to order another unit as I would have refused one with the wrong flooring as specified in the paid for change order.

We had to have a qualified third party do the repairs properly the first time as the ineptitude shown by the dealership in our prior trailer taught me they would not be able to change a light bulb without creating both a mess on the floor and breaking something else.

Our list of issues was quite extensive and included damage caused by the hotshotter who towed the trailer too fast. I know that because I had the actual departure time from Ohio and was there ten minutes after it arrived at the dealership. Having driven the same route many times at the posted speed limits where most are above the 65mph speed limit on the sidewall of the GYM ST225/75R15D factory installed tires, the solo driver's trip had a shorter elapsed time than mine.

We had cabinet and wall damages that were not present when I inspected the trailer after it came off the line.

Fitment of the sofa arms in our unit had to be redone as the wooden positioning pieces on the bottom were improperly located. A similar issue to the sofa question starting the thread based upon poor quality control.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:27 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
I have another small gripe. The folding mid section of the couch - mine doesn't nearly lay flat as it seems the seat and back cushions interfere with each other. Mine probably lays at a 10 degree angle despite attempts to manhandle it level. Is that one of those hopeful design failures or does anyone's actually lay flat? Dealer has my unit now but I forgot to add this to the list - feel sheepish asking about a number of the quality issues I have but what's the point otherwise? Just a bunch of non-working decent ideas.
The center armrest table does not lay flat in our 2016 Classic either.

Worse, we have to travel with it down or else the Corian insert falls out and wedges behind the sofa. The velcro tape just does not stick to the back of the Corian. Have considered adding several more strips of adhesive backed velcro ourselves to see it that helps, but gave not done so yet.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:01 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
So interesting. The Display 2016 Classic brought to the Region 3 rally last week had the SAME problem. I flipped the center down and the insert was wedged behind. A good idea, poorly implemented. Ah, well . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post

Worse, we have to travel with it down or else the Corian insert falls out and wedges behind the sofa. The velcro tape just does not stick to the back of the Corian. Have considered adding several more strips of adhesive backed velcro ourselves to see it that helps, but gave not done so yet.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:27 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I've watched a few youTube videos of RVs being built by other manufacturers. The way the workers run around it's like the Devil is after them or someone with a whip is behind the camera. Those of you that have been on factory tours is that the same in at Jackson Center?

Kelvin
Old 05-04-2016, 09:56 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post

I have the exact problem on my 15' Classic and keep forgetting to fix it!
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:24 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I've watched a few youTube videos of RVs being built by other manufacturers. The way the workers run around it's like the Devil is after them or someone with a whip is behind the camera. Those of you that have been on factory tours is that the same in at Jackson Center?

Kelvin
No. We visited the Airstream factory last month for the third time and the atmosphere is busy but relaxed and friendly. These are a hand-built product by everyday people managed and engineered by everyday people just like us.

We are not perfect and neither are they, some come out free of defects and some don't, and they are not always obvious at the finish. When the defects of human production, delivery, and sales lot damage are worked out to each individual owner's satisfaction, and the upgrades are installed to each individual owner's requirements, the Airstream is very satisfying to own and use.

We seen our Airstream within hours of delivery, went through it with a fine toothed comb and found no defects, and bought it. Since then have spent maybe $10,000 on upgrades and alterations to suit our very extended travel and comfort needs.

I wish they would (would have) produce a mid-size Airstream with the Classic equipment. Beautiful and hard to resist.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote