Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2016 - Current International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2017, 07:27 AM   #1
PMJ

2016 25' International
Terrebonne , Quebec
Vespa Scooter Rack for Airstream

Hi group,

First time here and english is my second language, so i will try my best to be as clear as possible

We just bought a Vespa Scooter 50cc for our local trips when our Airstream is park.

I'am wondering if a Scooter Rack exist and / or if it is possible to have it install on a 2016, 25'" Signature Airstream Trailer.

Thank you,
Pierre
PMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Hello Pierre, welcome to the forums and greetings from central Kentucky. Your explanation was very clear.

There are bicycle racks for Airstreams but I'm afraid the Vespa would be too heavy for the rack and the trailer. If you have a pickup truck you could carry it there. Otherwise, I don't think you'll be able to take it along.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:54 AM   #3
PMJ

2016 25' International
Terrebonne , Quebec
Thank you Rich,

That's what i thought doing but realized that my Ram box is 5'7" while the Vespa is 6'1" long !!! ( my mistake) Before going further and changing the truck, i was just checking first if a rack was existing .

I will go with another RAM with the 6'4" long.

Thank you again,

Pierre
PMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:39 AM   #4
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMJ View Post
Thank you Rich,

That's what i thought doing but realized that my Ram box is 5'7" while the Vespa is 6'1" long !!! ( my mistake) Before going further and changing the truck, i was just checking first if a rack was existing .

Thank you again,

Pierre
Bon Jour.

You could easily have a rack built and installed on the front of your truck to carry the scooter if it wasn't too heavy. I have seen similar devices for 2" receivers which you could use with a front receiver that even include a ramp to load the scooter/dirt bike.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Front trailer hitch and a rack would solve your problem. Lot less expensive than trading in the truck.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:00 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
Another idea would be to angle the scooter in the truck bed; front wheel on left side and rear to the right. It would cut up the space in the truck bed but then a new truck wouldn't be needed.
Dennis
dennis3751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
If you use the Pythagorean Theorem you will see that the Vespa will fit in the truck bed diagonally.
In a triangle where the side of truck bed (length of a right triangle) = a, the back (or front) of the truck bed (width of a right triangle) = b, and the length of the scooter = c (hypotenuse), then the equation a squared + b squared = c squared...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMJ View Post
Thank you Rich,

Thank you again,

Pierre
Maybe a custom made tailgate?
How about cutting the front tire to the left/right, that should give you a few more inches, probably not 6, however. What the others said, put it crossways in the bed.

Peut-être un hayon personnalisé?
Que diriez-vous de tourner le pneu avant vers la gauche / droite, qui devrait vous donner quelques pouces de plus, probablement pas 6, cependant. Ce que les autres ont dit, mettez-le diagonal dans le lit.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I carry my 1986 Yamaha Riva in the bed of the truck (6.5'). I have considered getting something a bit larger and had already decided on an angled positioning, if I do. With all the tie downs available in most PUs today, it isn't a problem at all when I experiment with my current scooter. It does make for some more creative packing of other items, but still no big deal. I certainly wouldn't trade trucks prematurely just for a reason to park longitudinally.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:23 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
Talking tail gate extender

'
How about leaving the tailgate down and adding an extender. That would give you ample room to put your vehicle into the bed of the truck straight leaving you with lots of room for adding other stuff. I surely wouldn't go through the added expense of buying another truck just for accomodating a small gas powered 2 wheel vehicle. Try a little yankee ingenuity.
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:24 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Clearance issue with Jack in turns?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 02-17-2017, 03:47 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Suggestion...

Contact the factory to really KNOW what can be added to your rear trailer frame. Don't be a test case of what NOT to haul. If you can't haul attached to rear, how about the front of the tow vehicle. The tow vehicle's front frame can be modified to handle the Vespa rack (just like a snow plow blade mechanical lift). Don't forget: Anything you add to the rear of your Airstream is going to potentially drag the ground when going up or down driveways. Again -- Contact the factory for their input -- especially if you'd be VOIDING your warranty by any alteration(s).
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:49 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
Thats a good question. I'm not sure, but am pretty sure some on the forum would have the answer.
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:17 AM   #14

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Boulder , Colorado
Vespa Rack

Pierre, I have been researching this very issue. I have a Vespa LXV 150cc. It weighs about 250 pounds (114Kg). I have a Toyota Tacoma which is a relatively small truck. The answer if you don't want to fill your truck bed with the scooter is to install a front hitch mount/receiver. You can put a hitch on the front and then get a motorcycle carrier rack to attach to the front receiver. Here is a link to a front mount hitch system. Not sure what is available in Europe.

http://www.etrailer.com/fmr-2015_Ford_F-150.htm

My issue with putting my Vespa on the front is the wear from road grime being upfront. I am now looking to see if there is a suitable cover to protect the scooter on the front of the truck.

Good luck.

Ashley
awabdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 01:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by awabdo View Post
Pierre, I have been researching this very issue. I have a Vespa LXV 150cc. It weighs about 250 pounds (114Kg). I have a Toyota Tacoma which is a relatively small truck. The answer if you don't want to fill your truck bed with the scooter is to install a front hitch mount/receiver. You can put a hitch on the front and then get a motorcycle carrier rack to attach to the front receiver. Here is a link to a front mount hitch system. Not sure what is available in Europe.

My issue with putting my Vespa on the front is the wear from road grime being upfront. I am now looking to see if there is a suitable cover to protect the scooter on the front of the truck.

Good luck.

Ashley
And your radiator is going to get good cooling airflow...how?

Old 03-11-2017, 02:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by awabdo View Post

Good luck.

Ashley

Ashley, if you want to front mount your Vespa, I think you will need a bigger truck. On the inside of your driver door there should be a sticker telling you weight limits for your truck. Go to a scale and weigh the individual axles unloaded, and then loaded with your trailer hooked up. That will tell you how much payload you have left. I'm guessing not much.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:36 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
How big a Ram do you have - 1500, 2500, 3500? There are a couple of companies that make a front hitch receiver that just bolts onto tow hooks on a Ram, with a 2" receiver. It has a 500# rating, which is more than enough for the rack and Vespa if you have a 2500 or 3500. Plus, as a Quebecois, you may have a truck with a plow-prep package, which gives the front axle heavier springs and steering to take the weight of a 1500# plow. Check these out before you buy a new truck!
Old 04-01-2017, 10:38 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Huntington Beach , California
My Airstream dealer is welding 2" receiver hitches on the rear of the trailer. They said it would carry 200 lbs.
Lifeguard53 is offline   Reply With Quote