Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2016 - Current International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2018, 11:57 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Somewhere it snows , Ohio
Pricing on 2019 models with new std equipment?

As announced the 2019 models now come standard with back up camera, full awning package, power awning and new 3 year warranty.

Since we bought a 27 Intl Serenity Twin just a year ago and paid extra for the backup camera and awning package I am wondering how badly we got ripped as opposed to waiting a year. Of course there is no value in second guessing but I am curious what has changed in the list price situation. Are they now just throwing all this extra in at the same base price? Does anyone have a copy of the price sheet (window sticker) on a 2019 27 Intl Serenity twin that they could share?

If they did throw in all this as standard equipment without a big list price increase I am afraid it will really effect resale value.
Airdream99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdream99 View Post
As announced the 2019 models now come standard with back up camera, full awning package, power awning and new 3 year warranty.

Since we bought a 27 Intl Serenity Twin just a year ago and paid extra for the backup camera and awning package I am wondering how badly we got ripped as opposed to waiting a year. Of course there is no value in second guessing but I am curious what has changed in the list price situation. Are they now just throwing all this extra in at the same base price? Does anyone have a copy of the price sheet (window sticker) on a 2019 27 Intl Serenity twin that they could share?

If they did throw in all this as standard equipment without a big list price increase I am afraid it will really effect resale value.
Call a dealer, or your dealer, and ask prices...better yet; go visit and ask...also ask about discount level...all good to know if your interested in moving up to new.... again.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I believe the 30 classics went up $4000 - 5000 in MSRP.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:52 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Pricing on 2019 models with new std equipment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdream99 View Post
Are they now just throwing all this extra in at the same base price?

The MSRP on your floorplan for 2019 is now $104,900.

For the last few years the MSRP has bumped 4%-5% each model year and any options made standard are added to the base price.

Your resale value should be fine.
chicagoair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:05 AM   #5
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Second guessing usually doesn’t work too well. It seems to me that each year AS makes “improvements” so at what point does one decide to actually purchase instead of waiting to see what the next years model will be like. I didn’t buy mine with the thought of reselling at some point in the future, I bought the model I wanted to enjoy now.
My Dad went down the road of waiting to see what the next year model changes/upgrades would be on a truck. 28 years later he was still driving that same ugly, rusted out, half dead Chevy. At some point ya gotta just jump in and make a decision based on the information available at the time.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
The base price went up. The extras are not “free”.
Enjoy your camper!
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
Second guessing usually doesn’t work too well. It seems to me that each year AS makes “improvements” so at what point does one decide to actually purchase instead of waiting to see what the next years model will be like. I didn’t buy mine with the thought of reselling at some point in the future, I bought the model I wanted to enjoy now.
My Dad went down the road of waiting to see what the next year model changes/upgrades would be on a truck. 28 years later he was still driving that same ugly, rusted out, half dead Chevy. At some point ya gotta just jump in and make a decision based on the information available at the time.
True, good points all.

Related issues.... all the bells and whistles DO appeal to many buyers, but there are some big factors that create pushback, and we're already hearing those voices in more than a whisper.

All the super technology in the classics... how much of it will totally obsolete in 5 years? How complex and expensive will replacing it ALL be? And you paid THAT MUCH for it in the first place? Devine Bovine! The resale value will plummet if you don't constantly update, and can the cost to update be offset by a somewhat higher trade in value? I can afford to buy a brand new Airstream... it is not going to happen and the "improvements" that are just more things that will break are a big reason. Aching knees (which do hurt a bit less with every 10 lbs. I am losing) and a reality check that every birthday forces are the other factor.

When I wish upon a star, I wonder why Airstream doesn't change the concept of the three current trim levels and offer the following:

BOONDOCKER: includes frame lift, stronger frame, 30 or 40 lb aluminum propane tanks with NO cover, 16 inch Michelin tires, stout axle, 2 burner cooktop, propane oven on 22 ft.& up, large water and waste tanks, super easy access to the water pump, tanks and waste plumbing (3 piece hinged belly pan?) No stinkin' dinette, but something that will easily fold up and go outside where we want to eat (card table and chairs?l the extra bed inflates. Easy to clean floor.

DREAMER - your first Airstream. Stripped Flying Cloud. "I can't believe I can almost afford this!!!!" I can add all the stuff I really want as I can afford it. Virtually no factory options except the TV antenna and one A/C because they.are a pain to add later.

COSMO 1 and 2. Close resemble the Classic and the International respectively. Must thinl about it more.

I.would love the option of.a.roll up ramp and foldable threshold for loading groceries AND my aching knees.

Paula
Old 08-14-2018, 11:56 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1999 35' Cutter Diesel Bus w/slide
Fullerton , California
Rest assured they aren't just throwing in the extras at no additional cost. Most dealers ordered their inventory of Internationals with the options anyway as it's an upper level finish and most customers wanted the extras. So now it's standard on the Internationals which makes it simpler, it's the way they come.
TinPeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Accessories have a much higher markup. That is why the dealers load up all the extras.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Accessories have a much higher markup. That is why the dealers load up all the extras.
The salesman that I work with said they get most or all of the options because that is what most customers want. Let's face it, this is a high-end trailer. Are you not going to get the awning package?

Tom & Doty
Old 08-14-2018, 05:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
I did not want the power awning option. Too many reports of failures. And I don’t need solar. Plugged up all of the time. But I wanted everything else.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Westlake Village , California
2020 DYI Bare bones model ?

Taking it another direction....

imagine Airstream future announces a virtually new “stripped down” 2020 model...

Now called the Airstream “Organic”.
Maybe starts in Calif market.

Each buyer can now season to taste adding, augmenting , up-downgrading, disconnect, eliminate or wish for...(But no longer bitch about) any variation or oversight of the provided components.

We’ll do the 24-48volt version for thinner lighter wiring ?

Having only 3rd party and pundit recommendations non factory aftermarket products to choose from (Amazon?)

Problem solved.
Vantair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:16 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantair View Post
Taking it another direction....

imagine Airstream future announces a virtually new “stripped down” 2020 model...

Now called the Airstream “Organic”.
Maybe starts in Calif market.

Each buyer can now season to taste adding, augmenting , up-downgrading, disconnect, eliminate or wish for...(But no longer bitch about) any variation or oversight of the provided components.

We’ll do the 24-48volt version for thinner lighter wiring ?

Having only 3rd party and pundit recommendations non factory aftermarket products to choose from (Amazon?)

Problem solved.
When we visited the factory back in June, there where many trailers being built with no interiors and custom window openings. Probably for a client that needed special shells. I am assuming you can have one built so you can put your own interior in them.

Has anyone ever inquired about this?

Tom & Doty
Old 08-15-2018, 07:38 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
They make empty shells for a few selected after market shops to customize for either stores or super expensive travel trailers for people.

All these computer controlled gizmos in the Classics will be an albatross after the seven years spare parts requirement expires and the computer dies. And remember Airstream’s propensity to always select the lowest bidder.....

Something very reassuring about going outside to the awnings and manually extend and retract and it works every time even if the battery was completely dead when off-grid. The dining table does not die halfway up or down,the beds are flat, the stabilizers go up and down as desired and the list goes on.

Corpulent America needs a few calories burning exercise once in awhile.... (I am chubby too)

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:28 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Agree- setting or retracting a manual awning has never been an issue with me...except during a windstorm one night in Sunriver Canyon when we had one of our 25' AS's...the wind was whipping the awning pretty good and I could not sleep...but I had an able bodied wif who went out there and put the awning up pretty easily...I believe manual awning works well and is pretty easy if you watch the video on setting it up and taking it down...I too have heard bad things about the automatic awnings, and certainly would not want to get stuck somewhere with it having issues.

We were camping earlier this year and a guy had a brand new 27' Tommy B. AS with power awning....it would not come out so he could not use...said he had an appointment to take it in....3 weeks from then...that's another issue...when would he get it back if it took 3 weeks before they could see him!

We added a few new options with our 28' prior to doing the deal. We swapped out the gas oven for the convection/microwave...hindsight- should have kept the gas oven...rarely use the microwave and never use the convection. Back-up camera, and bike rack were also options...I use the back-up camera all the time...very handy. One night we were backing into a paved spot at a park during a rainstorm...too much rain for wife to get out and guide me. I was able to back in without any outside assistance....we sat in the car for 1/2 hour before it let up enough to run for the AS.
Fiama bike-rack is great if you ride but costs a lot to get installed...

If I was to get another new one, I would get the camera, gas oven, bike rack, and I think the 16" wheels....not sure anything else is needed on the 28'. Would be nice to have a small microwave also, but no room in the 28' with current design.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 08-16-2018, 08:46 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Agree- setting or retracting a manual awning has never been an issue with me...except during a windstorm one night in Sunriver Canyon when we had one of our 25' AS's...the wind was whipping the awning pretty good and I could not sleep...but I had an able bodied wif who went out there and put the awning up pretty easily...I believe manual awning works well and is pretty easy if you watch the video on setting it up and taking it down...I too have heard bad things about the automatic awnings, and certainly would not want to get stuck somewhere with it having issues.

We were camping earlier this year and a guy had a brand new 27' Tommy B. AS with power awning....it would not come out so he could not use...said he had an appointment to take it in....3 weeks from then...that's another issue...when would he get it back if it took 3 weeks before they could see him!

We added a few new options with our 28' prior to doing the deal. We swapped out the gas oven for the convection/microwave...hindsight- should have kept the gas oven...rarely use the microwave and never use the convection. Back-up camera, and bike rack were also options...I use the back-up camera all the time...very handy. One night we were backing into a paved spot at a park during a rainstorm...too much rain for wife to get out and guide me. I was able to back in without any outside assistance....we sat in the car for 1/2 hour before it let up enough to run for the AS.
Fiama bike-rack is great if you ride but costs a lot to get installed...

If I was to get another new one, I would get the camera, gas oven, bike rack, and I think the 16" wheels....not sure anything else is needed on the 28'. Would be nice to have a small microwave also, but no room in the 28' with current design.
Spoke too soon about getting a small microwave in addition to gas oven in the 28'. AS NW sent me a couple of ideas...which could work nicely by replacing the lounge with comfy chairs and adding the microwave. Wow, some of their upgrade ideas are really nice....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	28 microwave and lounge chair conversion.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	320027  
Old 08-22-2018, 10:09 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
2015 20' Flying Cloud
Port Townsend , Washington
2019 models

Just ordered my 3rd AS but had a poor experience as I made the decision to upgrade based on what was advertised as standard. I wanted the solar that was advertised on AS site as standard. Placed the order with local AS and was told solar was an additional charge. I pushed back (somewhat aggressively) and they relented. I don’t know what’s going on with AS but I was disappointed that the local dealers were negotiating and not including items AS was advertising as standard. Local dealer showed me a brochure with 2019 features & solar was an option.
I would advise you confirm with your local dealer about items you think are standard as my experience showed that’s not always the case.
My local dealer has been really good and responsive so not sure what’s happened. As of yesterday AS site still shows solar as standard.
Inspect and verify.
Ray Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:48 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Graves View Post
Just ordered my 3rd AS but had a poor experience as I made the decision to upgrade based on what was advertised as standard. I wanted the solar that was advertised on AS site as standard. Placed the order with local AS and was told solar was an additional charge. I pushed back (somewhat aggressively) and they relented. I don’t know what’s going on with AS but I was disappointed that the local dealers were negotiating and not including items AS was advertising as standard. Local dealer showed me a brochure with 2019 features & solar was an option.
I would advise you confirm with your local dealer about items you think are standard as my experience showed that’s not always the case.
My local dealer has been really good and responsive so not sure what’s happened. As of yesterday AS site still shows solar as standard.
Inspect and verify.
Where did you see "solar was standard?" I have never seen any of these options as "standard", unless you get a "special edition" like the Tommy Bahama, or another special edition... Solar and back up camera are options which AS has wired for, but typically on most models, they are "options"; just easier to install with the wiring already there. They also have wired for portable solar with a Zamp connector by the battery box.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:57 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1999 35' Cutter Diesel Bus w/slide
Fullerton , California
Ray, the only 2019 Airstream model standard with solar is the Classic and Interstate.
TinPeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 12:19 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
chino hills , California
Having heard all the pros and cons. Remember focus on how wonderful it iis to Airstream through all of our national parks and this great beautiful country. AS corporate have listened to the needs & requests of their buyers. That is You. That is a good thing every day! And congratulations on your 27 international serenity twin.We have a 25 foot International serenity twin. Hope we run into you down the road in a beautiful spot . The Airstream life couldn’t get any better. Enjoy where you are today! This is living the Dream !
redhat200 is offline   Reply With Quote