Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2016 - Current International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2017, 05:12 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

New trailer Old tires

Hello everyone.

I'm about to collect my new trailer to 23D international serenity from RVone in Albany NY.

I found a number of falts on the trailer which they're telling me they will repair before the demo but not earlier.

I was surprised to find that the date on the tires was 04/16. The trailer was built this year and was delivered two weeks ago,the end of March.

Should the tires be dated 2017? I spoke to one of the salesman at the lot and he says it's the luck of the draw and that sometimes the trailers will come with all the tires on them.

My question is is this acceptable? Because I understand the tires wear out with time as well as Road Travel.

I also found some rust spots in the rear hose department and what looks to be the beginning of corrosion in the outside a water heater compartment.

Any experience or advice would be appreciated.

At the moment I haven't handed over the money for this trailer and a dispute as to whether they are going to put new tires on or not. My concern is that they may have pulled this trailer from another dealership instead of direct from the factory which they told me it was. Is there a way I can check this with the factory direct to see if the trailer was actually built for me this you?
PTAHERNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:22 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Airstream usually starts the model change over in or around May your tires were made 4th week of 16 they buy a lot of tires depending when your trailer was made will tell you something
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:38 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
minneapolis , Minnesota
Age is not the enemy of tires but UV.. the issue is how much sun exposure the tires have gotten and always use a UV protectant liberally .. this will protect against the chemical reactions that harden and crack tires
cedonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
The tires are probably Goodyear Marathons if they date from early 16. You will want to replace them anyway. One strategy might be to politely ask them to split the cost of replacing the tires with the newer Goodyear Endurance but really would not expect them to do so. And no, I would not expect them to replace the tires at the dealers expense that Airstream put on the trailer when they built it.

Looks like someone at Airstream could tell you when and to whom they shipped the trailer from the factory.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:29 PM   #5

2017 27' International
Tulsa , Oklahoma
IMHO - If you are buying a NEW trailer, it should meet your expectations. If you are not happy, and being reasonable, respectfully present the conditions you expect at delivery. If they're not willing to work with you... move on. It's not the only one out there.
LostCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I would venture to guess you might have a set of take-offs.
Someone may have bought a 2016 trailer and asked the dealer to get him a set of newer tires.
It happens at car dealers.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:06 PM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Point it out to them and see what they will do. It can't hurt to ask .... Tires and batteries should be within 6 months of the build date on the trailer under normal circumstances.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Your location implies proximity to the Atlantic Ocean.

I picked up our 2015 23D International Serenity at Colonial in New Jersey in July 2015. It was built in September 2014 and was trucked to Colonial along with a 23D International Signature. Both trailers were stored outside in the salt air since they had arrived. There was lots of corrosion (rust) on many of the steel screw heads and the steps were badly rusted underneath. But those issues were minor compared to the more serious short comings.

Our 2015 23D had the stock 14" tires and wheels for that model year (changed in 2017 to 15" tires and wheels). I arrived at the dealership with 15" SenDel T03-56545T wheels with 15" Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tires mounted along with the Dill 1506-453 TPMS valve stems. I also had the Centramatic (200-221 standard part) wheel balancers along as well. The new tires and wheels were on the trailer before the Mercedes tow vehicle was ever attached. The Michelins are inflated to 44 psi which is a much softer ride than any 15" GY tire inflated to 65 psi.

Our 2014 Classic (completed the third week of January 2014) had 15" GYM tire dates from the preceding March. As the GYM tires were discarded as soon as I got the Classic to the storage unit and were replaced with 16" SenDel wheels and 16" Michelin tires, I did not really care about the GYM tire dates.

You can use the last six digits of the VIN (that is the sequential build number used on all the models of Airstream makes with the other leading characters being specific model descriptions) and call Airstream for the time window that trailer was released from production. Then the date on the tires may or may not be reasonable as compared to the build date.

Also, have the dealer send you a copy of the Airstream factory window sticker and that will show the original "sold to" dealership and the date of manufacture and the options and the list price on the build date.

You are driving the deal. If they are being difficult, go somewhere else to buy the trailer. There were only 3 options available when we bought our 23D and every dealer added all three to pad their profit (street side and rear awnings, convection microwave and 1000 watt converter) so they are not "unique" per se as there are many made with the same options.

After stopping at A&P Vintage Trailer Works in Paradise, TX on the way home, our 23D became unique and after the second trip was tricked out as much as can be done without gutting the interior.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote