Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2016 - Current International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-20-2018, 04:56 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Morgan Hill , California
New owner question....heat

So we are the proud owners of a used 2016 International Serenity 25FB.

Slowly learning what makes what work by doing and reading the owner's manual.

so that being said....how where does the heat come from?

The Owner's Manual says it is gas with electric fan powered.

And yet I have had the thermostat set so the heat goes on with the gas tanks OFF. And when outside all I hear is noise from the roof unit.
So does this mean I have a heat pump ONLY?
or
Are there both heat pump (elect) and a gas furnace?

Confused

Thanks...and be kind with responses...remember I've only had the trailer for 7 days

Mike
kbmwrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The heat pump will usually produce heat down to about 35-40 degrees outside. The system assumes when you call for heat that you want the heat pump, unless you deliberately switch the thermostat to "Furnace"

Once you set that, the propane-fired heater should come on, assuming you have the gas turned on.

The propane heater is typically mounted low, and has a square grill in front of it, and there should be a corresponding set of exhaust and intake openings behind it on the outside of the trailer at about the same location.

If that is not there, you may have an Alde system, which is a whole different setup. Check the manual for that data...I don't remember when Airstream started installing the Alde systems...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Use the "mode" button on the thermostat to select
(heat=heat pump)
(furn=furnace)
(cool=air condition)

See pages 5-15 and 5-16 in your manual, for info on Dometic thermostat, Dometic AC/heat pump and Atwood furnace.
The thermostat, rooftop unit, and furnace have separate literature, may or may not be included with your manual (they were included with but not part of the manual). If you do not find it there, go on line and look for Dometic Comfort Control thermostat. You can download operating instructions.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:39 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Morgan Hill , California
I guess I missed the part on the thermostat that noted heat pump or furnace.

I'll check online for the info you suggested.
Thanks
Mike
Old 02-21-2018, 09:42 AM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Drop over to the new South Bay AS dealer and see if they are kind enough to show you how the stat works. Good opportunity to develop a relationship, pick up a clear coat pen, check out some gear you want, or look at the new model for ideas. Sign up for their service seminars. A great help to new owners. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
I had a dickens of a time with the "newer" thermostat. Had our AC heat pump replaced. Couldnt get it to work the way we would like it. Someone suggested clearing the program mode and it has worked well for us ever since.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
On our 2016 Flying Cloud it's actually "HP" for Heat Pump as you cycle through the modes on the thermostat. The "FURN" mode is for the propane powered furnace, which blows out hot air through the vents by the floor, instead of through the ceiling vents like the Heat Pump or AC.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:12 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Morgan Hill , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
On our 2016 Flying Cloud it's actually "HP" for Heat Pump as you cycle through the modes on the thermostat. The "FURN" mode is for the propane powered furnace, which blows out hot air through the vents by the floor, instead of through the ceiling vents like the Heat Pump or AC.

Took the AS to storage so I can't check at the moment.

I will check if the thermostat notes "FURN".
I need to check on those floor vents.

Someone else suggested that there was a metal facing plate on a wall (ala the converter plate, which is under the bed) to denote where the furnace is. I have no such plate.
And to look at the outside to find a "HOT" vent which would note where the furnace is.
I found such a area outside (under the seat of the dinette, left side) that says "HOT". There is nothing inside except a storage area under that dinette seat.

Ahhh...the confusion,
Old 02-22-2018, 10:57 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwrs View Post
Took the AS to storage so I can't check at the moment.

I will check if the thermostat notes "FURN".
I need to check on those floor vents.

Someone else suggested that there was a metal facing plate on a wall (ala the converter plate, which is under the bed) to denote where the furnace is. I have no such plate.
And to look at the outside to find a "HOT" vent which would note where the furnace is.
I found such a area outside (under the seat of the dinette, left side) that says "HOT". There is nothing inside except a storage area under that dinette seat.

Ahhh...the confusion,
Look again at your dinette/couch seating on the left side. There are two doors over storage areas there. But there is a gap in between. That gap has a blank panel over it. But the panel has an opening at the bottom. The furnace is hidden in that gap. The opening is the cold air return for the furnace.

And Congratulations on the Airstream! We have a 25FB also, and really like it.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:45 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
SSquared gave a good description. It's that way on the 27FBs as well.

Furnace is much more efficient at heating, but is a gas hog. Heat pump will only work on shore power or with a genset.
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:11 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Morgan Hill , California
The last two replies have been very helpful. I'll check on that next time I go to the AS. Its in storage right now.

M