Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2016 - Current International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-05-2017, 05:16 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Plainfield , Illinois
Iteas for a great winter trip!

Hello all;

We are newly retired and in the planning of our first winter trip. We are gong to Florida in January. Heading west in February to Texas. March we want to be around Spring Training in Az. for our beloved Cubbies. So we are looking for unique camping spots and hope to stay out of those busy KOAs if you know what I mean. So any tips would be helpful. Thank you in advance.

Jim and Susan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xmas.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	438.6 KB
ID:	300393  
jjgoodie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I hope you already have reservations in Florida and Texas for January and February, as those are high season months down there and many places will be full.

If not, decide what areas you want to visit, get on the AllStays app, and see if you can find vacancies.

Good luck,

Maggie
Old 12-05-2017, 07:29 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
Have you decided where to stay in Texas. Say Corpus Christi, Harlingen or Brownsville in the cold weather. Lots of snowbirds down south.

There's a saying around here that Texas has four seasons: Early Summer, Summer, Late Summer and February. Austin is further south than Tallahassee. February is generally the coldest month with freezing weather and sleet possible north of San Antonio.

Big Bend NP is possible in March without a freeze, but the desert elevation is around 5000 ft as is much of West Texas. Many state parks are great. Around Austin to San Antonio to Leaky to Fredericksburg. Balmorhea SP and Hueco Tanks SP farther west. Guadalupe Mountains NP is a must see.

Southern New Mexico is great. Drive through El Paso to Las Cruces, NM. Go to White Sand NM. First atomic bomb site and sand surfing. Or backtrack to Carlsbad Caverns NP. Check out Silver City, Gila Wilderness and Lordsburg. I have not been to either in years. Check snow conditions at SkiApache for skiing. Check Old Mesilla outside of Las Cruces for New Mexico style Mexican food. Order Christmas sauce.

Any of Texas above I-20 can be trouble in cold weather. Think ice storms.

Reservations are not mandatory but highly recommended. October to April is high season for camping in the south.

John
TexAirS is offline   Reply With Quote