Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2017, 03:54 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Upper mngmt mayy not be aware, let them know now!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:39 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Can you go to the dealership in person?
If so, go to the dealership in person.
Get the general manager and the finance man together in the room.
Give them 2 options:
1. Give me my trailer right now in new, ready to camp condition. If they don't/won't can't for this reason or that...
2. If they don't deliver a trailer get the contract from them and tear it up. Renege on the deal.
I would have been seeking other alternatives after the very first delay/excuse/red flag.
I had a terrible experience at the dealer where I purchased and was so very close to reneging on the deal. The only reason I didn't is that I would just taken another day off work and gone to buy another trailer at another dealer and the experience might have been better, but it might have also been the same. Couldn't have possibly been any worse. Needless to say, 5 years later I have never set foot back in the dealer where I bought the trailer, but have enjoyed the trailer and gotten service at the mother ship and other dealers.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:00 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Menifee , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Give them 2 options:
1. Give me my trailer right now in new, ready to camp condition. If they don't/won't can't for this reason or that...
2. If they don't deliver a trailer get the contract from them and tear it up. Renege on the deal.
I would have been seeking other alternatives after the very first delay/excuse/red flag.
I had a terrible experience at the dealer where I purchased and was so very close to reneging on the deal. The only reason I didn't is that I would just taken another day off work and gone to buy another trailer at another dealer and the experience might have been better, but it might have also been the same. Couldn't have possibly been any worse. Needless to say, 5 years later I have never set foot back in the dealer where I bought the trailer, but have enjoyed the trailer and gotten service at the mother ship and other dealers.
Yes I’m going in today. This was our first experience with purchasing a travel trailer, let alone an Airstream- so our learning curve is steep. I want to get this resolved and get our trailer home. But since it’s not at the dealer, it’s currently up in L.A. in “service” and that's 2 hours away I may have to drive up there eventually, hopefully not. I’m going to sit down with the dealer and make my case- our backdated paperwork is only part of the problem, I’m going to take each issue one at a time. Hopefully they’re unaware (can’t understand how they couldn’t be), and once I show them the obvious reasons for our complaint they'll either make an concerted effort to correct things or we’ll work out something else. If not then I’ll make the call to Airstream in Ohio to lodge my formal complaint. Wish me luck? Thanks
thurmanlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:13 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Give them 2 options:
Some of this advice could get a buyer into more legal trouble than is necessary IMO. Reneging on a binding contract is not so easily done.

Tearing up the contract will likely be seen as evidence of bad faith negotiating, and will not cancel the contract.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:36 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Be calm, cool and collected when talking to the dealer. It is much easier to resolve an issue by good negotiation. DO NOT yell or make threats. Usually things will work out in your favour. If you cannot come to an agreed upon solution, leave with the final comment "our lawyer will be in contact". Quite often the nice attitude will throw them off guard, as they will expect a confrontation. Be firm. If you have to get legal involved, do so. Good luck.
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:38 AM   #46

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
South Lyon , Michigan
I think our experience with our dealer in Michigan may have been substantially worse and Airstream's customer service department came to our rescue.

We took "delivery" of a new 2017 Airstream Interstate in March 2017 and immediately discovered had we had problems as we drove out of the lot. Over the next 3 months we had to return our Interstate to the dealer for over 15 warranty repairs (including the replacement of 3 shade/screen motors). The rear screen motor has been replaced twice and we are now on our third awning. The dealer's service department had wired the second awning backwards. As a result, the awning came out while we drove down the road! Luckily we were able to return our new Interstate to the dealer with the awning flapping in the breeze and without killing anyone. We were finally able to use our new RV for the 1st time over the July 4th weekend. Unfortunately, this time the awning came out on its own and had to be manually retracted.

In hindsight our biggest mistake was making the assumption that the dealer would ultimately "make things right". When we discovered that the dealer's service technician wired the awning incorrectly and when we discovered that he and his wife had 'borrowed' our new Interstate for personal use during period it was in for warranty repair, we quickly got Airstream's customer service people involved and engaged legal counsel. We are now dealing directly with Airstream for everything. I suspect that our dealer will be out of business soon.

Airstream has been terrific. Customer Service is very responsive and they have some very good service people that know the product.
leaseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:43 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yikes, leaseman.

I hope that dealer service tech lost his job.

Maggie
Old 11-20-2017, 08:45 AM   #48
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Some of this advice could get a buyer into more legal trouble than is necessary IMO. Reneging on a binding contract is not so easily done.

Tearing up the contract will likely be seen as evidence of bad faith negotiating, and will not cancel the contract.

Hi

Weather you call it "yelling and screaming" or "confrontational behavior" or "demand satisfaction", they all are basically the same thing. It's generally not a good way to plan for a negotiation. In most cases, he who goes ballistic first looses out in a negotiation with a skilled counter party. Plan for presenting a calm, factual, and reasoned discussion. Plan how you will present your points and how you will back them up. Do not have some sort of "attack" process as plan A. This *is* an situation with a lot of emotion in it, that is very understandable. Keeping that under control is important. The mental image you have of the conversation *is* part of that management process ....

All that said, there is the tactic of bursting into tears in the middle of the process. *Very* few people have a good way to counter punch that one without looking really bad (and no, I would still not include that as part of the plan ...).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:57 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Determine your "best case scenario" and your "worst case acceptable scenario". Determine these positions objectively prior to going to the dealer and then negotiate calmly but forcefully. After stating the facts of the case, ask for the best case, and don't settle for less than your worst case.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:51 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:

Sounds like the dealer already broke the contract because they have failed to deliver a trailer.
It's like the dealer is expecting payment for something the customer has yet to see.
Reneging is a real possibility. I almost did. Everyone at the dealership- general manager, sales person, finance guy- agreed we could just tear up the check and the contract would be over and I could go right back home with the same trailer I brought to trade in.
In this case, the contract isn't even for this trailer, but another trailer to OP bought at an RV show.
So, to expect payment before the merchandise is actually on site and ready is preposterous anyway.
No two ways about it, this just isn't good business, and then to get the runaround in terms of not returning phone calls or not responding to emails and such as that and then when they do answer the phone not having any good answers.
Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.
As for Airstream corporate- Yes, Airstream corporate does need to be made aware.
I may never get another trailer, and I might know where I might buy it if I do. One thing is certain, I know where I won't buy my next trailer...
I really don't have the time to sum up for y'all what my buying experience was like, nor do I really care to recount the series of events. Needless to say, it could quite possibly have been the worst day of my life. It was only made better/made right by Jackson Center. True enough, I am 850 miles from Jackson Center rather than 2,000+ miles from Jackson Center...
I still think reneging is a distinct possibility since the customer has of yet received nothing or even seen the trailer.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 11-20-2017, 11:52 AM   #51
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
wow... if I were you.. I'd not work the dealer but the bank that the loan is through... and the fact that they didn't provide the unit... as they said... I'd use this issue to kill the deal... been their done that... and the court upholds it...

The only problem is the 27K you put down as faith money... you may never see again... as most of the banks etc... have filing fees, etc.. and take a whack of that money...

I wouldn't go through the dealer... instead I would go after the loan institution... and notifiy them that the deal is off... you have that right...

but... I wouldn't go with .. we found something better... nada.. that won't cut it.. you will find that approch in backing out of the deal... the lender and the dealer can and will come after you for the rest of their money...
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:10 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
At the time I was going to renege I was very concerned about bank fees.
Supposedly if you renege there are no fees and it is as if it never happened.
Maybe the OP will get to the dealer today and they will have answers.
I personally would have driven up to the dealer sooner.
Face to face is the most effective communication.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 11-20-2017, 10:29 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Did you get any resolve today? Hopefully it is all worked out.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:35 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

East Hartland , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Weather you call it "yelling and screaming" or "confrontational behavior" or "demand satisfaction", they all are basically the same thing. It's generally not a good way to plan for a negotiation. In most cases, he who goes ballistic first looses out in a negotiation with a skilled counter party. Plan for presenting a calm, factual, and reasoned discussion. Plan how you will present your points and how you will back them up. Do not have some sort of "attack" process as plan A. This *is* an situation with a lot of emotion in it, that is very understandable. Keeping that under control is important. The mental image you have of the conversation *is* part of that management process ....

All that said, there is the tactic of bursting into tears in the middle of the process. *Very* few people have a good way to counter punch that one without looking really bad (and no, I would still not include that as part of the plan ...).

Bob

I like the tears tactic.
Tombomb68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:37 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Anyone’s prior experience in states other than California is basically irrelevant, except as generic cheerleading IMO.

Only a CA attorney can provide meaningful advice, given the plethora of UCC laws and court decisions in that state. Fortunately CA is fairly consumer-friendly.

If the OP is lucky he or she can sort this out with the dealer, bank, AS, and so forth, but the time to “lawyer up” may be just around the corner.

Good luck!

Peter
Old 11-21-2017, 09:08 AM   #56
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Anyone’s prior experience in states other than California is basically irrelevant, except as generic cheerleading IMO.

Only a CA attorney can provide meaningful advice, given the plethora of UCC laws and court decisions in that state. Fortunately CA is fairly consumer-friendly.

If the OP is lucky he or she can sort this out with the dealer, bank, AS, and so forth, but the time to “lawyer up” may be just around the corner.

Good luck!

Peter
Hi

I once had a buddy move to CA and *assume* things worked to the customer's advantage when an issue came up on a car deal. After much turmoil it turned out he was worse off in CA than "back home".

Again - this is *why* lawyers make big money. They work hard to untangle all this nonsense.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:51 PM   #57
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
<Mod Had On>

Feel free to continue discussing your experiences, good or bad, but please remember this forum is not a place for resolving customer disputes with specific vendors (or dealers).

Given this thread is all about what is clearly a set of disputes, please refrain from sharing or guessing which specific dealer (or dealers) is/are involved as you share your experience and solutions. Otherwise, Site Team will be forced to shut down the thread and clean it up.

Here's a quick quote from the Community Rules:

"Customer Disputes
This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to solely vent frustrations about services, products, vendors, or sales. Please settle your differences with the seller, provider, manufacturer, or dealer through other means but not through our community."

<Mod Hat Off>

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:09 PM   #58
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Anyone else curious how things turned out yesterday?
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:26 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post
Yes, but the OP may be heeding the Rocinante's suggestion in the recent post, to avoid discussing a specific dealer etc.?

Hopefully we will get a general report in the next day or two.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:49 PM   #60
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post
Yes!
Hans627 is online now   Reply With Quote