Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2016 - Current International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2017, 10:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Cypress , Texas
Fire Extinguisher Location?

Dumb question, but could someone tell me if a fire extinguisher comes "standard" with the Serenity 28? And if so, where the heck is it located?

We've had our trailer for 2 weeks and haven't found it yet.

Thanks!
kellycox7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida

Not sure about a 28' Serenity, but I'd start by looking near the entrance door.

The extinguisher on our 30' FC in sitting in a bracket about 12" off the floor, attached to the sink cabinet within 2" of the hinge of the main door.

EDIT:

Yes, it should be standard; at least the 2017 Airstream International Manual states there is one on page 2-6.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:25 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Calgary , Alberta
Our 30 Serenity is right beside the entrance door. I'm also adding one in the bedroom, mounting it under the bed.

They have to be in locations which are readily apparent during an emergency! I believe it's law that one needs to be in your trailer, so if you don't locate it, I'd ask the dealer!

Michael
Poodle and two cats!
Masondood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:26 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Cypress , Texas
Thanks for the advice... I searched high and low again yesterday, and finally called the dealer, who told me "just go to any dealer near you and they'll work it out"....uh what??? I mulled that over and then called the dealer back and said "you need to handle this", instead of making me drive 100 miles. She then called the factory and they said "look under the bed". Told her I've done that already.

Hopefully, one's coming my way. I know it's a small "thing", but it's the principle of the matter. I'll buy a couple of extra units, but I want the one that's supposed to come with this trailer.

P.S. I'm hesitant to just screw something into the wall for the mounting bracket (since the factory didn't do it); do you folks know if that's what they do, or is there some special non-intrusive way of mounting items without drilling holes?

Thanks Again
Old 05-26-2017, 05:41 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Calgary , Alberta
The mounting place is into the cabinet beside the door. The extinguishers are pretty small so a couple short #8 wood screws should do it.

Michael
Poodle and two cats!
Masondood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellycox7 View Post
Thanks for the advice... I searched high and low again yesterday, and finally called the dealer, who told me "just go to any dealer near you and they'll work it out"....uh what??? I mulled that over and then called the dealer back and said "you need to handle this", instead of making me drive 100 miles. She then called the factory and they said "look under the bed". Told her I've done that already.

Hopefully, one's coming my way. I know it's a small "thing", but it's the principle of the matter. I'll buy a couple of extra units, but I want the one that's supposed to come with this trailer.

P.S. I'm hesitant to just screw something into the wall for the mounting bracket (since the factory didn't do it); do you folks know if that's what they do, or is there some special non-intrusive way of mounting items without drilling holes?

Thanks Again

Very strange indeed you do not have a bracket, or an extinguisher. Good on you though for taking the initiative to get one.

If I need to install a bracket or similar (e.g. I just put up a paper towel holder beside the range hood) I will wrap a 2" length of Gorilla tape about 1/2" from the tip of the drill bit.

This serves as a make shift drill stop so I don't drill past the length of the screw.

Also, I find a fine Sharpie very useful for marking the location to be drilled.

Good luck!

Rich
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:29 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2016 28' International
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
St Augustine , Florida

The factory must have made missed putting it in. On the 28 it should be just to the left of the door when you enter (1/2 under the dinette seat on the wall). I'll try to post a picture later.

I would think a reputable dealer would have this fixed under warranty for you, not sure why they are giving you the runaround. Maybe asked to speak to the sales manager.

This should be very simple, you should have a fire extinguisher and if the Airstream factory forgot to put it in, I'm sure they would want you to have that fixed ASAP. No idea why the dealer is not accommodating this as it shouldn't cost them anything. Maybe call Airstream and have them talk with the dealer.
ArkFortyCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:13 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2016 28' International
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
St Augustine , Florida
Realized I never posted a pic of the 28 INTL fire extinguisher

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3572.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	286777

You see see it's just to the left when entering through the door.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:39 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Cypress , Texas
Thanks for all the input and advice. Hopefully one's coming my way. Have another one in there for now....will probably stock with more than one.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:03 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Cypress , Texas
Unhappy No Fire Extinguisher Yet!

As follow-up, I never did get a fire extinguisher from Airstream or my dealer who lives 1 state away from me. Obviously, I went a bought a couple of extinguishers on my own and mounted them where I thought they'd be most useful. However, it IS IRRITATING to buy a ridiculously high priced RV and have it show up with something missing, and even more frustrating that the dealer doesn't seem to jump through hoops to make it right. While it may be true that the Airstream factory told the dealer "they can't legally ship it to me; they just send an extra one with the next trailer" (??? DOT rules?), they'll never remember (it's been months) and I'll never get the fire extinguisher from them.

Nor will I ever go back to that dealer to buy my next Airstream, all over a $10 fire extinguisher.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:17 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2016 28' International
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
St Augustine , Florida
Agreed!
Old 08-31-2017, 04:35 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I'm sorry you had such a negative experience with your dealer. I had the opposite experience as I am sure many others have had.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:24 PM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Just my two scents.....get a good one, Halotron, no mess.

Bob
Old 09-01-2017, 10:44 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Just my two scents.....get a good one, Halotron, no mess.

Bob
I haven't seen any discussions on good fire suppression on here that weighs the pros and cons of the options.

Halotron (which replaced Halon) is definitely effective and low mess, that is why we use it in datacenters containing $100s-of-millions in equipment...but we always couple it with SCBA (self contained breathing apparatus) throughout the facility. An alarm goes off before the dump of halon to give you time to get OUT or get an SCBA on, as halotron/halon does *not* support life as it rapidly displaces all oxygen.

If you use halotron/halon please make sure that everyone that may attempt to use the extinguisher understands that it will displace all oxygen out of the room, so you better have a good breath of air before pulling the trigger and expect to be out of the space before your ability to hold your breath runs out. Not trying to be an alarmist, but people should be fully aware of the characteristics of halon before selecting it...as passing out in the middle of the trailer while operating the extinguisher won't be a happy outcome.

The good news is that once the space ventilates the only cleanup will due to combustion, rather than a nasty corrosive chemical foam/powder etched into all of the aluminum and everything else.

There are also these "automatic" fire suppression devices targeted for stove tops (Stovetop Firestop and Auto-out), they use sodium bicarbonate. They have a plug that melts at a certain temperature and then the contents dump out, it would be interesting to see something like that marketed toward the RV segment.

This reminds me that I probably need to have my large halon extinguisher in the garage serviced.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:05 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Cypress , Texas
Thanks for the great info...i'll check it out.