Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2016 - Current International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2019, 10:42 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Grand Rapids , Alaska
Domestic refrigerator problems

Started to have problems with my refrigerator last trip. It had a hard time keeping anything good and cold. Now not cooling off at all . This is the newest trailer we’ve ever owned with the lamest refrigerator? Trailer is parked in the same spot at my home that my other trailers have sat, always started fridge day before we packed never woke up to warm refrigerator. The propane tank are on flame comes on and stay on. Any ideas out there I can try
2016 25 RB International
Dadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Check the manual for your refrigerator to find the burner tube cleaning process. Insects and spiders think it is a neat home.

While in the outside compartment look for yellow stains or an ammonia smell which are indicative of a leak which will require rebuild or replacement of the fridge.

If yours has the capability, try to run it from shore power. If it works on AC a clogged burner tube or mis-adjusted flame is likely.

Also check the fins inside the refrigerator compartment for a clipped on sensor. On mine it is on the right-most fin. Items bouncing around during travel may have moved or dislodged it. The higher it is mounted on the fin the cooler the fridge runs.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:30 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Grand Rapids , Alaska
Domestic refrigerator problems

Ok I plug the trailer to 15amp service here at home. Probably 6 hour later check in to see if fridge cool off . Not reallly much changed . Except the converter ran the the continuously heating the inside of the trailer. This spring we had a soft start unit installed on the Air Conditioner so it would run on the Honda 2000. It doesn’t work correctly. Doesn’t seem related. I replace both batteries this spring prior to this problem
Old 07-22-2019, 04:14 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Grand Rapids , Alaska
Ok I’m found that the fan behind the fridge doesn’t come ever. Small fan located at the top vent for refrigerator
Old 07-22-2019, 04:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
The refrigerator will not work unless it has good 12V. If your converter is running full time, there is something wrong in your 12V system.

What do you mean your AC with soft start doesn't work correctly? If you have a wall-mounted Climate Control Center thermostat it needs 12V too.

Your fridge fan needs 12V to run.

I'm beginning to see a pattern here.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 04:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
The small fan visible from the access door on the street side is a cooling fan for the fridge exterior cooling fins. If the fins don't get hot, the fan won't come on.

The air conditioning is not related to the fridge. If you have a problem there it's not related to a fridge problem, unless you don't have 12 VDC inside the AS.

The converter should be providing 12 VDC inside the AS. If you can turn on the ceiling lights then the converter is putting out voltage.

If the fridge is not cooling on propane or shore power then you have a problem with the fridge. As suggested, look for a clip on the inside of the fridge cooling fins in the back. It should be clipped on the fins. I think higher is cooler and lower is warmer. If this hasn't helped then you'll need to visit a local service center.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:51 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Grand Rapids , Alaska
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0842.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	350.3 KB
ID:	347497replaced the fan and temperature limit switch . Refrigerator fixed .

thank you to everyone who responded. It help to know that you are out there and willing to assist.