Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2016 - Current International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2017, 08:26 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2016 28' International
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
St Augustine , Florida
Changing our minds...looking at the 28

Very odd, not sure why your dealer is giving conflicting info but the 28ft Twin does have panoramic windows. The 28ft is normally a queen and this does not have panoramic windows but this is different if it's a Twin.
ArkFortyCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:59 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2016 28' International
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
St Augustine , Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
Changing our minds....again!

So, after spending another 2-3 hours at the dealer today, we realized that the 27 FB queen actually had everything we want...
Check out the Tommy Bahama 27ft as it has a bar with extra storage and counter space, and a lift gate for the back. I wish other models had that bar.

The 28ft vs 27ft discussion normally comes down to the dinette the 28 has (some want the dinette of the 28ft, some do not), the dinette comes at a cost of no pantry. The space in the bath room is insignificant between the two in my opinion and wouldn't be the reason I made a decision between the two (the 27 bath is more then fine). Oddly enough, the 27ft trailer is almost a foot bigger then the 28ft trailer.

Quote:
Can not believe we've gone round and round on which trailer to get. I wonder if we'll change our minds tomorrow. LOL

This is the fun part! At least you are doing the smart thing and considering how you will be using the space, where will you each be sitting, and going and seeing/sitting in different trailers.

Doing all this now is better then buying the wrong trailer and having to upgrade (like we did [emoji30]).
Old 07-17-2017, 05:38 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkFortyCal View Post
Check out the Tommy Bahama 27ft as it has a bar with extra storage and counter space, and a lift gate for the back. I wish other models had that bar.
We did look at one that was on the lot. We didn't love the decor, but we did love the layout and the hatch that opens! Wonderful trailer!!! Did not love the price tag.

It's been a whole day and we're still sold on the 27 queen. whew! Now, we have to decide on tow vehicle. Looking at F150. If we were just going to use it to tow, we'd probably buy the F250. But, we're a 1 vehicle family, and the F250 wouldn't be so fun to have to drive around when we're not towing. Still investigating and calculating specs and such. Lots of fun!
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:13 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Prudenville , Michigan
If you get the twins and don't like it you can always customize a platform between them and make a large Queen/king.
Hamptastic75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:16 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamptastic75 View Post
If you get the twins and don't like it you can always customize a platform between them and make a large Queen/king.
That's the route we were heading, when we were looking at the 28' (to avoid the tall wardrobes next to the queen bed). But, with the 27', the queen is exactly what we want...sleeping together, without the tall wardrobes next to us.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:39 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
It's been a whole day and we're still sold on the 27 queen. whew!
Hmm...well, it's been 4 days since we decided on the 27...and we've changed our minds!

Rethinking everything...so we're hoping to look at a 23CB today (I think local dealer has one).
Old 07-20-2017, 05:26 PM   #27

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
I'm not indecisive, well, maybe I am...
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:32 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
I'm not indecisive, well, maybe I am...
yep!!! hahaha!!!

We got to see the 23 today, as well as a 20. Huge surprise to us both, but we actually prefer the 20.

Wait a few days. I'm sure we'll pick something different.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:09 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington

We had a 25 and went to a 30. For us, 28 or 30 was a must due to the separate lounge and dinette. Having said that, the 23 (in either floor plan has always appealed to me).

Our decision on the 28 vs 30 was the complete lack of storage on the 28. We're just weekend warriors, but still didn't think we could go without the slide out pantry. I could argue the 30 has more storage than we need though (those words don't often come out of an Airstreamer's mouth). I also would like to have a bit less length when maneuvering in/out of campgrounds.

Our 25 was a queen and our 30 is a twin. Like you, the panoramic windows were a selling point and the middle nightstand is fantastic. I do miss a queen though, even for things like mid-day naps where you get to spread out and take up the whole bed. Airstream should definitely make a 27-style queen as an option for the 28 and 30 -- call it a "weekend queen" or something.

One of the things that made the twins a whole lot better for me was adding a rail on the outer edge to prevent the mattresses from sliding off the platform. It was driving me crazy. Not only do I not feel like I'm not hanging off the edge while sleeping anymore, but I can tuck in the blanket and sheets on the wall side (actually wrap them around the bottom of the mattress a bit) so I don't feel the cold wall.
dmcgaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:18 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
After much thought, many trips and many hours visiting the 2 nearby dealers, we've completely switched gears.

Were originally planning to travel and live for long periods of time in the trailer. For several reasons, we've changed the BIG PLAN.

We've decided on a 20' Flying Cloud. Figuring on doing shorter trips of 1-2 months at a time. Although, you never know! We did a 4 month trip in our Interstate, and that was a tight squeeze!

It was a shock to us both, but when we saw the 20' we fell in love with it. It has it's drawbacks, but so do they all.

So for the past couple days, I've been hanging out at the Flying Cloud 20 Footers thread.

We actually purchased our tow vehicle last night, so we're half way there!

If I end up back here, saying that we've decided on a 30' instead......no...can't happen.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:24 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
haha!! Just came across this last post of mine, and had to laugh. We did NOT buy the FC20. We ended up ordering the Serenity 23FB. Decided we needed the queen bed more than we needed a huge galley. Hope to take delivery by Oct 1st!
Old 08-06-2017, 07:51 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Well, good for you. It is a great feeling to have a decision made as to what is best for you. That is how I felt once I finally decided. The difficult part was trying to sort through what was need vs. like and then prioritizing those sortings through a series of compromises when I shopped. No one model had a perfect setup, IMO. Then the sales guy threw me a curve ball- used models with totally different floor plans, wall coverings and different windows (safari). I had to spend the day sitting in the trailer looking around, thinking and walking back and forth between the model for sale right next to it similar to what I had been looking at all along- naked walls, bigger windows, etc. Strangely I chose the former used model and have been very happy with that decision.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:20 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Well, good for you. It is a great feeling to have a decision made as to what is best for you. That is how I felt once I finally decided. The difficult part was trying to sort through what was need vs. like and then prioritizing those sortings through a series of compromises when I shopped. No one model had a perfect setup, IMO.
Agree 100%! And that is why we kept bouncing around from model to model. When we finally realized that a queen bed was a priority, that really helped us narrow things down. And having a double axle was a priority too.

We have a storage issue with a trailer as well, and so, we had to eliminate the idea of getting the 27 that we had fallen in love with at some point!

I know it's not very frugal, but, we are ok with the idea of getting the 23, and then possibly, in a couple years, getting a 27 (when we live somewhere that we can accommodate it). Not saying that will happen, but, if it does, then that's ok.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:03 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2016 28' International
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
St Augustine , Florida

Don't forget to post some pictures once you pick it up.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:32 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkFortyCal View Post
Don't forget to post some pictures once you pick it up.
Will do!
Old 08-16-2017, 09:48 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

Ft Worth , Texas
We started with the 19' Serenity and after two years we traded up to the 25 FB Serenity! We just wrapped up a 6 week stay in our 25' and it served us well. More space would be great but we found after a couple of weeks the space actually felt bigger - not smaller! Loving our 25FB!!!
jonthms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:05 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Manteca , California
Sounds like most people have "two feet-itis". 2016 27' FC FB twin is our first AS. We went through all the floor plans at the dealership. We went from wanting 23', then 25' and finally a 27' (our decision was validated when people from our first AS rally agreed we made a good decision to go with a bigger size the first time around). We knew this floor plan was for us when we stepped inside and saw that our 2 sons made themselves right at home. One was laid out on the lounge, the other was sprawled out on one of the twin beds. They had already Bluetoothed their phones and jamming their music on the trailer's stereo system! This floor plan is incredibly comfortable for the four us. Most of the time it's just the two of us but it's nice knowing we have plenty of space. Twin beds create more collective space to get dressed or to move around. And the twins create another lounge area too. Common room in front is nice because you get a great view when you're backed into your site. We get to enjoy it during the waking hours. We don't sightsee from our bedroom. Yes, twin beds ARE a passion killer, but me and the mrs. get creative[emoji57]A bottle of wine, soft lighting and Dusty Springfield's "The Look of Love"...the rest is history[emoji4]

2016 27 Flying Cloud FB
2005 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4x4, Equal-i-zer Hitch, 4.10 axle ratio.
4riveteers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:41 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Manteca , California

Forgot to add that hitch weight was a significant consideration. The weight for our 27' is close to a 23' rear bedroom. And the difference in how wide the trailer is. 25' and longer are 8'5.5". The little ones are 8' wide.

2016 27 Flying Cloud FB
2005 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4x4, Equal-i-zer Hitch, 4.10 axle ratio.
4riveteers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:14 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Vero Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbuccola View Post
It's a fun decision! We have a 28 Queen and love it. IMHO it is the best layout for two people. Very comfy and the tow difference is minimal from the 25. We have even had four grand kids and it was still fun.
Enjoy the process...
BTW the queen mattress with an added gel top is very comfortable!

We are just in the break in phase of our 28FB International Serenity. Queen beds.
First few nights sleeping a little hard for my old bones. Interested in the gel top you mention. Wanting to do something but this isn't a standard size so was at a loss. Any help appreciated.
WorkBGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:16 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Vero Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgentum View Post
Giovanni wrote, "We have a 28 Queen and love it. IMHO it is the best layout for two people."

When we were shopping, we spent time in both the 28 & 27 & settled on the 27 FB, which has turned out to be the best layout for the two of us. I should also say that we quickly abandoned the stock rear table & benches & added our own --- see photo --- which has only increased our appreciation for the 27 FB.

Nice!
WorkBGone is offline   Reply With Quote