Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2017, 11:27 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Changing our minds...looking at the 28

I recently started a thread about us looking at a 25' Serenity. Well, we've changed our minds, and are now looking at a 28' rear bed queen...or maybe a twin.

We both really liked the 25, until we saw the 28 in person. The 28 seems like it would be more comfortable for long trips and extended living. The irony is that we once lived/travelled in our Interstate for 4 straight months, so almost any trailer is palatial compared to that!

We both like that one person could be using the dinette as a work space, while the other could be sitting or lounging in the front lounge area, reading or playing music. The dinette lounge in the 25 is definitely more cramped.

Anyway...pretty sure the 28 is right for us.

Now...to decide on the queen vs twin beds. We both prefer the open-ness of the twin set up, however, we're not crazy about sleeping apart. Would be ok if it was just for a couple weeks, but wouldn't really feel like home to do that for months at a time.

Hmm....just putting thoughts in writing here...
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Seeing as many choices in person is a great idea. Even with a great imagination and a YouTube tour it is hard to make the best choice for your individual needs. Seems like Airstream is making a big effort to get its dealers to move to carrying larger inventories... and bigger service areas... and that in turn is paying off for the dealers. If your local dealer doesn't have 25-40 models in stock, visit one who does, or go to an Airstrwam only park or a rally and check them out in person first. Beats trading up in a year or so!

I saw a 30 Serenity and 33 classic at Airstream of Va last monrh. The classic sold within 24 hours of arriving on the lot, but it didn't appeal to me... BIG bathroom waste of space to me.

They might have had me with a 30 Eddie Bauer but they stopped making that model. WHEW.

Great happiness whatever you choose.

Paula
Old 07-09-2017, 08:50 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2016 28' International
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
St Augustine , Florida
We've had both a queen and now a 28ft twin so I can share my thoughts.

I miss having a queen bed, my wife prefers the twins (I try not to read into that). Here are our pro's and cons

Pros of twin beds in order of value to us: the outside storage is greatly increase as I'm sure you know, the space to stand between the beds (to change and access the overhead compartments, a place for the dog to sleep between the beds at night, rear panoramic windows, night stand that is accessible with getting in the beds.

Cons of twin beds: not sleeping together, kicking and hitting the TV and cables at night so had to change to the other bed, bedding tends to fall off in the middle of the night unless you have it tucked in on one side, you are sleeping against the cold metal side or the sharpe edge of the nightstand.

Now the question if I had to buy again what would I get? Either, as both have pros and cons. All things being equal I might go with a queen but we will be putting a desk between the beds for working so our next one will be a twin.
ArkFortyCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
ArkFortyCal....thanks for the pro/con list. These are the exact things we've figured (didn't know about the sheets coming off though!).

Aargg....so hard to decide!!
Old 07-10-2017, 11:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Go ahead and get a 30 or 33...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:17 PM   #6
Giovanni

2015 28' International
St Helena , California
It's a fun decision! We have a 28 Queen and love it. IMHO it is the best layout for two people. Very comfy and the tow difference is minimal from the 25. We have even had four grand kids and it was still fun.
Enjoy the process...
BTW the queen mattress with an added gel top is very comfortable!
Jbuccola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
Giovanni wrote, "We have a 28 Queen and love it. IMHO it is the best layout for two people."

When we were shopping, we spent time in both the 28 & 27 & settled on the 27 FB, which has turned out to be the best layout for the two of us. I should also say that we quickly abandoned the stock rear table & benches & added our own --- see photo --- which has only increased our appreciation for the 27 FB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Desk.jpg
Views:	682
Size:	461.4 KB
ID:	289158  
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:03 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Beautiful custom renovation. Jealous.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:58 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
I recently started a thread about us looking at a 25' Serenity. Well, we've changed our minds, and are now looking at a 28' rear bed queen...or maybe a twin.

We both really liked the 25, until we saw the 28 in person. The 28 seems like it would be more comfortable for long trips and extended living. The irony is that we once lived/travelled in our Interstate for 4 straight months, so almost any trailer is palatial compared to that!

We both like that one person could be using the dinette as a work space, while the other could be sitting or lounging in the front lounge area, reading or playing music. The dinette lounge in the 25 is definitely more cramped.

Anyway...pretty sure the 28 is right for us.

Now...to decide on the queen vs twin beds. We both prefer the open-ness of the twin set up, however, we're not crazy about sleeping apart. Would be ok if it was just for a couple weeks, but wouldn't really feel like home to do that for months at a time.

Hmm....just putting thoughts in writing here...
I traded a Hi-Lo in for a 25' FC. Poor choice.
Didn't like that 'East-West' queen bed; too hard to get in/out of.
And not much storage.
Gave it back to the dealer; " Give me a more comfortable one."
He gave me a 30 FC. Much more better!
"North-South' comfortable bed; lots of storage, separate 'rooms' for sleeping, and watching TV.

For the two of us, perfect.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:01 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Fullerton , North Dakota
dinnette removation

[who did your dinette renovation?

QUOTE=Rgentum;1975542]Giovanni wrote, "We have a 28 Queen and love it. IMHO it is the best layout for two people."

When we were shopping, we spent time in both the 28 & 27 & settled on the 27 FB, which has turned out to be the best layout for the two of us. I should also say that we quickly abandoned the stock rear table & benches & added our own --- see photo --- which has only increased our appreciation for the 27 FB.[/QUOTE]
LWinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:09 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
Size Matters

We too were undecided as to what size to get.
Thought we might get the 26 U drove 400 miles to see it in person
and found it to be not for us. The immediate wall as you enter to the left felt claustrophobic.
Then looked at the 27 but did not like the idea of putting a table up and down.
Then the 28 but found it a bit lacking in storage.
Went with the international signature 30 for the following reasons

Storage, storage,storage.
x-large closet
more fixed counter space + fold down extension
Queen over twin because of the ceiling to floor closets.
Loads of under bed storage
Fixed dinette. I can be at the table with computer and wife can stretch out on lounge or the opposite. You also have the benefit of facing the TV head on while watching,so no neck strain. And so.... comfortable.
The addition of a pantry is also a huge +
Get the optional micro-convection oven. The extra drawer storage due to the removal of oven was an excellent choice for us, and would give it 2 thumbs up. Recommend it for every one. We like to BBQ. No need for an oven.
Plus to heat the trailer up while camping in summer when most of our traveling is done didn't seem as a very bright choice. Never would have used the oven. Don't use the one in our house during the hot months. BBQ anyone ?
2 air conditioners because our TT is home base when traveling with our family. We all have our own campsites for sleeping, congregate at the Trailer
when at the campsite. And if its hot and rainy the twin AC's keep thing comfortable for the 10 of us.4 kids 6 adults
The twin layout to me has only two benefits. 1 functional and one aesthetic.
functional 1st. Lots of room to get dressed with no need to walk around the bed.
Aesthetically, looking down the length of the trailer from the lounge area
makes the trailer appear much larger. That appealed to me, but went with the Queen. Having done 2 short trips so far this summer I can say it was the right choice, for us. If you are large people you may consider the twins for the extra changing room. I'm 5'7" 160 lbs ,wife is 5'1" 114. No problem getting around the bed, yet.We are both 65.
As we get older, who knows. Can always do a bedroom remodel to twins if the need ever arises.

Good luck with your choice. Whatever model you choose, do yourselves a favor and go see all the models in person, even if requires traveling to do so.
If we went just off of floor plans we may have ended up with a 26U. You can't see all the differences on the floor plans alone. Seeing all the models side by side so that you can do direct comparisons made the difference in our choice. Don't be afraid to keep doubling back, trailer to trailer. You want the RIGHT TT. $1,000 traveling or $100,000 buyers remorse. Traveled 400+ miles just to see the 26U which was my 1st choice by floor plan, only to walk into it and know immediately it was not for us.
See them all. 27ft and up.
YOU WON'T REGRET IT !!!
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:39 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Thank you all for the great comments.

We're lucky in that we have a dealer 15 minutes away. And another dealer 1.25 hours away. So we've been able to see lots of the different trailers.

First we thought we'd buy a 25 rear bed. The 27 is great, but they don't make them with rear beds. Then we saw the 28 at the other dealer last week, and we both loved it and knew it is the right layout for us. And, we saw huge advantages for us and how we want to travel and live, with the 28, as opposed to the 25.

We're pretty minimalist, so really don't see needing anything longer or even with more storage. Remember...we lived in our Interstate for 4 months!! haha!! I went in one at the dealer the other day, and can't believe we spent that long in ours. LOL

We're just stuck on these items:

twin vs queen. the tall wardrobes in the queen make me a little claustrophobic, but I can totally see poking an eyeball out on the nightstand on the twins. and, husband and I would prefer to sleep together. leaning towards the queen.

signature vs serenity. prefer lighter cabinets, but, prefer the overall look of the signature with oyster seating. the contrast to the dark cabinets is nice. plus, the counters and table and upper kitchen cabs are white, so it's actually quite bright. and maybe it's a good thing to have dark cabinets in the bedroom, since you're just sleeping back there. BTW...for those that are wondering about the oyster...we had oyster ultraleather in our Interstate, and it was easy to keep clean. We never saw staining from blue jeans, etc.. Assuming it will be the same.

one a/c vs two a/c. two is great when you're stuck in super hot and humid areas. but, we loved the fantastic fans in our Interstate, and used those almost every day. but damn, do I HATE hot humid weather.

This is so helpful (to ME), so write all this out. Some things start to become more obvious. And other things don't.

"First World" problems to have.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:16 AM   #13
AeroHead Aviation

2018 30' Classic
Simpsonville , South Carolina
Twin vs Queen

I have a Classic 30 Twin on order. My decision to go with the twin was based on the following. 1. Rear wrap-around windows with twin. The queen that I looked at had wardrobes instead of windows. 2. I'll be doing a lot of traveling with my teenage son. 3. When the need arises 😉 I plan to make a folding platform with mattress to fill in the space between the twin beds. That will make the bed huge.
tjmartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:28 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
This is what we really want (as of today, anyway)..

Signature 28 RB Twin trailer, but instead of the twin beds, we want the queen bed, with 2 nightstands (not wardrobes) on each side like the 27 FB queen.

Any chance in hell that Airstream would/could do this for us?

We're so close to ordering what we want...if only they will build it for us!
Old 07-12-2017, 12:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
This is what we really want (as of today, anyway)..

Signature 28 RB Twin trailer, but instead of the twin beds, we want the queen bed, with 2 nightstands (not wardrobes) on each side like the 27 FB queen.

Any chance in hell that Airstream would/could do this for us?

We're so close to ordering what we want...if only they will build it for us!
I think I just realized a mistake I've been making. I said we want the trailer body of the twin, because I thought that meant we'd get the panoramic windows. However, just looked at AS website, and it looks like I was mistaken. It looks like, on the 28, no matter which bed you order, there are NOT panoramic windows in the bedroom.

This might simplify things. Then, all we are really talking about, is getting the queen bed, but with ONLY the low nightstands, and without the tall wardrobe sections that sit above them.

I know this cuts down on storage, but I just can not stand the boxed in feeling of having my face right next to the wardrobe.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:03 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
it's not claustrophobic at all. Unless of course if you sleep with your eyes open ??
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:14 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo1952 View Post
it's not claustrophobic at all. Unless of course if you sleep with your eyes open ??
You and my husband think alike!

Yea, I seem to need a lot more space around me, and air flow, than the typical human being.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:05 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2016 28' International
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
St Augustine , Florida
Changing our minds...looking at the 28

Quote:
I think I just realized a mistake I've been making. I said we want the trailer body of the twin, because I thought that meant we'd get the panoramic windows. However, just looked at AS website, and it looks like I was mistaken. It looks like, on the 28, no matter which bed you order, there are NOT panoramic windows in the bedroom.

The 28 Twin does come with panoramic windows in the bedroom.

I'll try to post a picture later
ArkFortyCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:12 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkFortyCal View Post
The 28 Twin does come with panoramic windows in the bedroom.

I'll try to post a picture later
So, I'm getting conflicting info on this. The 2017 brochure shows that it does NOT. The 2018 brochure seems to indicate that it DOES. However, we've been emailing with someone at Airstream, who told us that NO, it does not. Not sure why conflicting info.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:59 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Changing our minds....again!

Airstream said they could not make any of the changes we were talking about, in the 28'.

So, after spending another 2-3 hours at the dealer today, we realized that the 27 FB queen actually had everything we want...

1. queen bed, north south, with 2 low nightstands on each side
2. panoramic windows in bedroom and dining/lounge areas
3. oven and convection science oven (microwave)
4. longer lounge area that makes it easy for one person to be working at the dinette while other person lounges on the lounge.
5. more storage in the kitchen (than in the 28)
6. huge wardrobe
7. shower has the little cutout area to increase space you can stand in

The only downside, is that the bathroom is smaller than in the 28. But, that's the only thing we like less than in the 28.

Can not believe we've gone round and round on which trailer to get. I wonder if we'll change our minds tomorrow. LOL