Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2017, 02:53 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Dallas , Texas
27FB Storage Tips

Hi Everyone,

We just took delivery of a 2018 International 27FB. We had a 1960 Overlander (26') with the Land Yacht and International options that we restored/renovated in 1999 and have used extensively ever since. After a couple of years of looking, comparing and procrastinating, we decided on this 27FB. I took it from the dealership to a nearby full-hookup campground for the weekend and got started unpacking and sorting things from the old AS and testing out the all that is new and different in AS after 50+ model years. So far everything worked well and we're very happy with the change from Vintage to New. Having a grey water tank is very exciting!

I know I'll have a lot of questions and/or requests for tips and tricks, but I'll start with something easy. First, I'm working on organizing the storage areas and would welcome suggestions on 2 things:
--Where and how do you store your booze? I've settled on the O/H above the dinette, but haven't figured out to secure the bottles while towing.
--What's your solution for towel racks? I used the retractable clothesline in the shower for a damp towel (which will only hold one), but where would you retrieve a dry one after a shower?

I look forward to hearing your suggestions on this and (inevitably) more in the near future. Thanks!!

San Diego and Dallas Locations
RivetCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:38 PM   #2

2017 27' International
Findlay , Ohio
Important things first

We have a 2017 27 FB International Serenity and I'm planning on using the small storage compartment under the fridge for any bottles of wine or liquor. We haven't conquered the wet towel hanging yet. Usually we hung wet towels on the awning supports on our old SOB trailer. We have an over the door hook thing we will probably use on the bathroom door for wet towels inside.
dtbriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:06 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Dallas , Texas
Thanks for the tips! I was going to use the under frig cupboard also, but found it's deep enough for a standard can of vegetables (or can of beer/soda!), but only high enough for about a one liter plastic bottle. I'm beginning to think it would be best to put the bottles in the kitchen sink (padded with some dish towels) for travel. Yes, I'm thinking of over the door hooks for towels, too. Thanks, again!

Old 08-06-2017, 11:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
We have a 2008 27FB Ocean Breeze.
We installed these hooks high on the walls at the entrance (2), in the bath hallway (3) and bed room bulkhead (5). When not in use they close up and look like accents.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60152590/
We use the cabinet above the fridge for wine glasses (stainless) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and TV remotes.
We added these gas springs to the above fridge cabinet door and to the bath mirror cabinet door to hold them up while open:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
We store booze wine and beer under the sofa near the fridge. The under fridge cabinet stores our Mini-Dyson vacuum perfectly. The under stove cabinet hold our grilling utensils.
Dyson: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
We try to keep heavy items (booze, liquids) low to the floor to avoid weight in high cabinets especially over the kitchen counter.

Over time, you'll get it sorted. Our MO: If you need it, buy one for the trailer and if you haven't used it in 5 trips get it out of the trailer. - Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 02:21 PM   #5

2017 27' International
Bowmanville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrouper View Post
We installed these hooks high on the walls at the entrance (2), in the bath hallway (3) and bed room bulkhead (5). When not in use they close up and look like accents.
We use the cabinet above the fridge for wine glasses (stainless) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and TV remotes.
We added these gas springs to the above fridge cabinet door and to the bath mirror cabinet door to hold them up while open:
We store booze wine and beer under the sofa near the fridge. The under fridge cabinet stores our Mini-Dyson vacuum perfectly. The under stove cabinet hold our grilling utensils.
We try to keep heavy items (booze, liquids) low to the floor to avoid weight in high cabinets especially over the kitchen counter.

Over time, you'll get it sorted. Our MO: If you need it, buy one for the trailer and if you haven't used it in 5 trips get it out of the trailer. - Brad
Hey ST...the link for the "gas spring" is wrong....could you post the right link because I want to do the same thing to ours.
BeeDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 02:46 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
We have put Command hooks in the bath and shower for towels. Not the best for wet towels but simple and effective without drilling any holes. For booze we moved the under sink garbage to the space behind the dinette by the door and put our bottles in the hole under the sink. Works great. We also have mounted gas struts to the medicine cabinet mirror and the door above the fridge. They also work great.
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Gas Shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeDoo View Post
Hey ST...the link for the "gas spring" is wrong....could you post the right link because I want to do the same thing to ours.
It works for me.

If for some reason it doesn't for you, search "Apexstone 100N/22.5lb Gas Struts,Gas Springs,Gas Strut,Lift Support,Gas Shocks,Lid Stay,Lid Support (Set of 4)" on Amazon.

Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:08 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RivetCrazy View Post
--Where and how do you store your booze? I've settled on the O/H above the dinette, but haven't figured out to secure the bottles while towing.
I take some cushy socks and slip them over the bottles.
In the MH, I had a shipping case supplier cut a piece of black 4" thick case foam to the dimensions of a cabinet. I then cut out round holes to fit the bottles. Nothing moved.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:13 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wconley View Post
We have put Command hooks in the bath and shower for towels. Not the best for wet towels but simple and effective without drilling any holes. For booze we moved the under sink garbage to the space behind the dinette by the door and put our bottles in the hole under the sink. Works great. We also have mounted gas struts to the medicine cabinet mirror and the door above the fridge. They also work great.
This is the time of year to find strong, clear suction cup hooks that are meant to hold Christmas wreaths on glass doors.

I have several of these in my Interstate’s bathroom, and prefer them to Command hooks because they don’t break nor are their bodies difficult to remove if they do break.

Maggie
Old 11-19-2017, 12:19 PM   #10
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
As a single full timer, I clip my bath towel to the outside of the shower door, nothing seems to dry any other way. I use the rails (specific to a EB) in the bedroom for other stuff that occasionally needs air drying.
My booze cabinet is above the refer, I have invested in Crystal Head vodka, and use empty ones as decanters, five will fit.
Manuals and other paperwork live below the refer.
Cabinet over the table, mostly A/V stuff, 3 cd/dvd paper sleeve containers, shoe box size, Direct Tv box, headphones.
Pix in my gallery show how I haul a moto.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:33 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Portland , Oregon
We ordered a 2018 27FB Serenity that will be delivered the end of March. We were just told today that Airstream no longer makes the awnings in special order fabric. Did you request any upgrades or changes in to your new trailer? It doesn’t make sense to me that new Airstream’s come stock with only cushion color options.

To answer your question we have seen other 27 ‘s and liked how one owner added standing shelves (the metal type) to the big closet using command hooks to secure it in place. You can then add booze inside sealed boxes, shoes, etc., on the shelves that don’t fit elsewhere and still have room in front for hanging coats.
Orbsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:14 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Dallas , Texas
Hi Orbsters!

We did not order anything special on our International. It had just showed up at the dealership. We liked it, they took our '60 Overlander in as a trade, the $$$$ worked and it was a done deal.

Thanks for the storage ideas! As it's turning out, we created liquor storage under the bed. Seems to be working out so far!

Old 05-15-2021, 07:37 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Lawrence , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrouper View Post

Super Trooper, being new to the Airstream world, what kind of screws did you use for those hooks from IKEA?? Is there concern of the door splitting with the screws? Thanks!
SUP'n Woman is offline   Reply With Quote