Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2016 - Current International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2017, 12:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin , Texas
27 vs 28 footer

Good afternoon,

Airstream Interstate owner here! We're looking at trading in the rig for a trailer (3rd kiddo on the way) and are looking at the International Serenity. While looking at the trailers and specs we found the 27 and 28 footers with twin beds as our sweet spots. With that said we are having a hard time finding out what advantage you have with the 28 rather than the 27. It looks like the dinette moves over, but is there really a measurable difference?

Thank in advance for your help!
DaddysBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddysBus View Post
...but is there really a measurable difference?

Yes. About 12 inches.

Sorry, couldn't help myself...
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
One big difference is in the galley, and the sink in particular. In the 27' that round "island" of a sink is almost useless IMO, sticking way out without any usable counter space nearby. The 28' sink is nestled in nicely in a traditional rectangular counter.

I would ask the chef in your family which is preferable. Better yet go sit in each model, and let the cook decide!

The main reason we got our current FC20 was the corner galley with two sinks -- the best galley in an Airstream until you get up to 25' IMO. Your proposed 28' galley is nice, with the dinette opposite to make good meal prep counter space.

Cooking in the 27' galley would be a drag IMO.

Good luck!

Peter

https://www.airstream.com/travel-tra...pecifications/
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:24 PM   #4
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
They are pretty much the same length. I think it comes down to which floor plan you prefer and works best for your family. That being said I don't own either one and vote that airstream bring back the 25'SS (six sleeper) floor plan!
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 02:01 PM   #5
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Bus-

FWIW - Our take (owning a 27fb, our Pete) is that the kitchen in the 27 is better for us than the kitchen in the 28. There is no dedicated pantry in the 28 (and a big one in the 27), and the 28 requires opening a door to access the drawers in the kitchen.

Also, due to the layout of the wheelwells, there is no "cut-in" space in the 28 shower; a small area in the 27 yes, but I use that small area for one foot when showering. We do like that separate dinette in the 28 though!

Alas, it's an Airstream, so how can you go wrong? Just our observations.......

Now if I could talk them into building a 30' fb twin............We're sold on the rear lounge and the view out the back of the coach.

Hope this helps.
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 02:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
There's probably not a wrong choice. The new 26U looks tempting too. Best advice is to hang out in a few of them on the lot and imagine yourself living and camping in it. One might just sing to you...good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
27 FC FB. The kitchen counter is actually a couple of inches longer in in the 27, the pantry is better, imho. The shower step is useful, and the view out the back at the dinette can be fab. Hey, they make choices because different folk have different needs. Airstreams are cool.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:35 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
So very helpful, thanks a million!
Old 04-15-2017, 07:53 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
2021 30RB Classic
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Texas
The 28 does not have a wrap around window in the bedroom as it uses the corners for more closet because the main wardrobe is smaller in the 28 than the wardrobe on the 27. We have decided on the 27FB and are going to have a counter with drawers added across from the galley (like the Tommy Bahama) for additional storage and counter top sf.
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:00 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by twbucksr View Post
The 28 does not have a wrap around window in the bedroom as it uses the corners for more closet because the main wardrobe is smaller in the 28 than the wardrobe on the 27. We have decided on the 27FB and are going to have a counter with drawers added across from the galley (like the Tommy Bahama) for additional storage and counter top sf.
Assuming that your 27FB floor plan has that round "island" sink sticking out on its own, with very little counter space nearby, I am wondering how the cook feels about the layout. It seems like meal prep and cleaning up would be much more of a struggle with the sink so isolated. [See comments and link for AS floor plans Post #3 also.]

Have you actually been inside the various models as part of the decision-making process?

Your additional counter and drawers will help a lot, but that sink . . . .

How about a small flip-up counter to the right of the sink at the main door? That would be an improvement. Our 25' years ago had a small counter that flipped up at the doorway (you could still shimmy by to get out), but it improved the counter space a lot.

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:24 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
We've been inside, and of course coming from an Interstate it seemed palatial I think we are leaning toward the 27fb as it stands because of various items folks have mentioned!

Now moving on to researching the solar package upgrade etc. I don't think you can go wrong with the 27 or 28, it's just a matter what suits us best with the 2 (soon to to be 3) kiddos.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:21 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Though I risk stirring up the tow vehicle/weight and hitch crowd, one difference between the 27 and 28 that people miss is the tongue weight, which goes from 791 lbs. on the 27 ft. models to 976 lbs. on the 28 ft. models.
hollonre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:30 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Clearwater , Florida
One difference I found is the toilet position. The 27 puts your knees into the door and sink cabinet. The 28 is more spacious.
ChuckFeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:40 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by twbucksr View Post
The 28 twin, which is what the OP mentioned was their sweet spot does have the wrap around windows in the bedroom. Wardrobes are moved up over foot of bed with a nice cabinet and drawer between the beds. Then another full closet next to the shower.

Good luck on your decision. Not sure you can go wrong with either.

Chuck
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:01 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
Yes. About 12 inches.

Sorry, couldn't help myself...
I think they are both the same length. The Coach part.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:45 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
The "28" is actually slightly shorter than the "27". My guess is that the "28" is an older floor plan, so they named the newer, slightly longer version "27".

"28": 27'11"
"27": 28'

The big difference to me is that the "28" has a booth with one side to the back of the sofa, so whoever is sitting on that side of the booth can't see the people on the sofa.

We also like that the dinette on the "27" has great panoramic views. We chose the "27" for it's openness and pano windows at both ends after we sold our 31' bunk house.
Amsterdamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:54 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
We have a 28' 2009 International Ocean Breeze and love it. Hard choice over 27 (which is actually same size or bigger--go figure!) We like the double closet and pantry in the 27 that the 28 lacks. But we found that the bigger closet made for a longer hallway and therefore the coach did not seem as bright inside as the 28'. We jav been very agressive at reducing stuff onboard and don't miss the extra storage space.

We'ré all about light (one of the several reasons we prefer the Internationals over the more reasonably priced Flying Clouds -- vista windows over dînette instead of more upper cabinets), so easy choice for us.

There are tons of threads on rear bedroom vs front bedroom. We see the advantages of both, depending upon what park you're in. Front living area especially nice if you like to people watch and like bedroom privacy. But many places have better views out the back, so front bedroom is then preferable, if you don't mind your bedroom in the middle of the park. We make up our queen bed as a lounge during the day (which won't work for you with twins I guess (although maybe you could set them up as two chaise lounges?) That way, we can enjoy a spot with the better view out the back.

Either way, all great coaches! The advice to spend lots of time in each while imagining how you would live in them--cooking, sleeping, showering, hanging out, entertaining--is excellent.

Have fun, and congrats on the new family member!
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 01:20 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
I traded my 25' FC for a 30' FC because it has all the advantages of the larger unit, and none of the disadvantages of the shorter ones.😆
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 01:31 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
27 vs 28 footer

Another vote for the 30' FC.

We had a 27 FB and just could not stand the layout. In the show, or sitting in the lot at a Colonial, you think the rear dinette and sofa make a lot of sense.

In real life though, only one person really can squeeze in to watch TV. The other side you have to crane your neck around. The sofa itself is a flat board that doubles as a bed. It only has a thin cushion. It is very uncomfortable to sit on.

We traded up to a 30 Rear Queen and are MUCH happier. The towing / backing experience is virtually identical. However, you get a real dinette where four can eat comfortably. The rear L shape works well.

(We removed the rear L and put in a small matching electric Loveseat in ours).

Just more to think about.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 02:00 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddysBus View Post
Good afternoon,

Airstream Interstate owner here! We're looking at trading in the rig for a trailer (3rd kiddo on the way) and are looking at the International Serenity. While looking at the trailers and specs we found the 27 and 28 footers with twin beds as our sweet spots. With that said we are having a hard time finding out what advantage you have with the 28 rather than the 27. It looks like the dinette moves over, but is there really a measurable difference? Thank in advance for your help!
There is another factor that in 46 yrs of trailering has been an issue for us in many campgrounds. We are 29' 3" long and have a forward door. We can back into many spots and overhang the end of the "pavement," gravel or whatever and leave more room out front. Also we have twins in the rear and can often have more quiet and sleeping privacy backed in. With a door to the rear as I believe the model you were interested in has, you need to keep the AS farther forward so the door steps are still on gravel/pavement. You also have your beds forward which is a little less private than to the rear. We've had forward beds and rear beds and like the beds to the rear better, but think about it before you decide what's right for you. Forward or middle doors however, are positioned better for longer trailers where getting your entire unit nestled in and some space for your TV parked can become an issue. See you down the road!

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote