Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2016 - Current International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2017, 03:43 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Kennesaw , Georgia
We added shelves to the wardrobe in our 28 twin. This is now a large pantry. We travel with folded clothes and have no need for a large wardrobe with hanging clothes.The 28 has a small wardrobe at the foot of the twin bed. That's plenty of space for coats in colder weather. It seems that everyone finds what works best for their needs. Glad there are multiple floor plans.
dugster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:24 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
2016 27' Flying Cloud
Rapid City , South Dakota
If you look at the specs, the 27 is actually 28' feet, and the 28 is shorter...this is for FCStreamer, lol...anyway. I looked at both, too and ended up with the 27FB. I love the rounded sink area because it gives a touch of class, as opposed to living in a trailer with the typical squared off counter. Sit in them both, play house, and see what feels best. OTRA15 mentioned a flip-up counter for the sink at the door and I have been toying with that idea but after a full year of full timing in it I find the counter is fine for my needs.

Best of luck and you will LOVE either!

BTW, you later mentioned solar. I just installed 300 watts and are installing the 2000watt inverter tomorrow. We will post videos of the progress and things we encountered, so stay tuned for link.
Chick Squad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:25 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
2016 27' Flying Cloud
Rapid City , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugster View Post
We added shelves to the wardrobe in our 28 twin. This is now a large pantry. We travel with folded clothes and have no need for a large wardrobe with hanging clothes.The 28 has a small wardrobe at the foot of the twin bed. That's plenty of space for coats in colder weather. It seems that everyone finds what works best for their needs. Glad there are multiple floor plans.
I have thought of that...where did you purchase? Can you post a picture? Thanks!
Chick Squad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:54 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin , Texas
27 vs 28 footer

Well, sat in both again and going to roll with 27FB in Oyster for many of the reasons folks listed, in addition to loving the dinette at the panoramic windows. The sales guy too did mention that the rig is in fact 28' and that the 27FB is their best seller by far, with 28 being a good choice for folks that want the dinette separate.

As for options, passed on the solar since it's so puny (will go for something aftermarket, and waiting to see what Chick Squad has rigged up), but did select the extra AC, rear camera, and power awning.

Thanks again for all the tips, and see y'all on the road!
DaddysBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:38 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
It's like asking someone to choose chocolate or Vanilla. No wrong choice. Just your taste. Good luck!
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:14 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddysBus View Post
Well, sat in both again and going to roll with 27FB in Oyster for many of the reasons folks listed, in addition to loving the dinette at the panoramic windows. The sales guy too did mention that the rig is in fact 28' and that the 27FB is their best seller by far, with 28 being a good choice for folks that want the dinette separate.

As for options, passed on the solar since it's so puny (will go for something aftermarket, and waiting to see what Chick Squad has rigged up), but did select the extra AC, rear camera, and power awning.

Thanks again for all the tips, and see y'all on the road!

I opted for for the 28' Serenity, power awning, awning package (huge help in keeping the temps down, the "puny" solar - it has kept our batteries topped off just fine, and the 2nd AC unit and rear camera. We have nothing but positive things to say about our AS. Happy Adventures!
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:08 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
What about a 30' bunkhouse?
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:50 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
What about a 30' bunkhouse?

The 30's looked great, but our tow vehicle is an Escalade ESV and we are relegated to 28' and below.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:34 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Why?
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:11 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Why?

Tow capacity...
Old 05-03-2017, 03:16 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Camano Island , Washington
I just bought a 28 footer after closely looking at the two. My wife and I just went to the Airstream dealer, closed the door of the trailer and just went through everything. We converted dinette and sofa into beds, stood in the shower, opened all the cabinets and basically did what we would do while camping. Our decision on the 28 footer boiled down to the ease of converting the dinette and sofa into beds and the usability of the space with the beds converted. The 27 footer's 'U' shaped dinette is much more difficult to convert and the sink location makes the space less useful. After we did this the decision was very clear.

I hope this helps,

Stan and Noel
noeljoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:14 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by noeljoy View Post
I just bought a 28 footer after closely looking at the two. My wife and I just went to the Airstream dealer, closed the door of the trailer and just went through everything. We converted dinette and sofa into beds, stood in the shower, opened all the cabinets and basically did what we would do while camping. Our decision on the 28 footer boiled down to the ease of converting the dinette and sofa into beds and the usability of the space with the beds converted. The 27 footer's 'U' shaped dinette is much more difficult to convert and the sink location makes the space less useful. After we did this the decision was very clear.

I hope this helps,

Stan and Noel

Thanks! We did the same and took the kids to the dealer and spent a good bit of time inside. The 27 worked out better for us, but I can't see anyone going wrong with either. Can't wait for the first roadie to Ft Wilderness as the airstreams always caught my attention when we went there in our old rigs.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:33 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
27' or 28'; pro's and cons?

We are looking to upgrade from our 25' to either a 27 or a 28 FC Twin. We have an F150 4x4 which works fine for 25. Looking for experience input on:
1) do I need 3/4 T if I go to 28? Hitch weight jumps up around 130 more lbs.
2) what is best floor plan? We like the layout of 28 best but 27 could work also. Looking for pros and cons...

We have final pricing on both units and very similar.
thanks for your opinions and advice.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:52 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Gold Canyon , Arizona
My wife and I looked and compared the 27 and 28 for 2 years before ultimately deciding on the 28 (International Signature for us with a rear queen). It is heavy on the tongue and many will say they do fine with a 1/2 ton but you're really pushing the weight limits once you factor in tongue weight and whatever you load in the truck. We tow with a F350 but a 3/4 would serve you well - just watch your numbers.

The floor plan is personal preference. We enjoy the separate dinette (which make into an awesome daybed for lounging) but you give up some things in the kitchen (microwave as an example). We carry a small portable and it meets our needs great. The downside of the 27 for us was the combo dinette and L shaped couch. It wasn't comfortable for those occasions when we watch the TV (think turning sideways to watch or prop pillows next to the table).

They're both terrific - boils down to what makes you happy. Good luck.
Orondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 03:02 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
I bought a FC 27 FB vs a 28 because:
1. We wanted the front bedroom, which is not available on the 28. After having put 25K miles on it in the last 11 months, I'm glad we got the FB.
2. We travel only together with our dog, and the table + 2 chairs in the stern of the trailer works best for us. See photo for our modification.
3. We have no need or desire for the dinette that's opposite the galley on the 28. That's our dog's space.
4. In our travels & upon meeting those who have the 28, they typically travel with children & need the two working spaces (table & dinette) to accommodate both the parents & the children, which is not our case.

There seem to be plenty of 27 or 28 owners who pull satisfactorily with a half ton. We have a 3/4 ton, which works well for us & leaves me & my sweetie feeling safe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Desk.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	461.4 KB
ID:	285607  
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 03:08 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
Orondo mentions the problem of watching TV in the 27, which typically produces strained necks. We solved that problem by moving the TV to the bedroom & in its place putting a larger (40 in) TV on a swivel & swing-out bracket. That in combination with the two desk chairs in the stern result in pleasant TV watching & no strained necks. See attached photos.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TV horiz.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	376.9 KB
ID:	285608   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV vert.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	357.7 KB
ID:	285609  

Old 05-15-2017, 03:10 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
There was a very recent thread on this, and the two threads have just been merged by a moderator.

Good luck with the choice, gypsydad! Personally, I would let the cook decide, as the round sink in the 27' -- which sticks out on that crazy "peninsula" with very little counter space around it -- would tip the balance for us.

Good luck!

Peter

PS -- Click on quote to go to the earlier comment:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
One big difference is in the galley, and the sink in particular. In the 27' that round "island" of a sink is almost useless IMO, sticking way out without any usable counter space nearby. The 28' sink is nestled in nicely in a traditional rectangular counter.

I would ask the chef in your family which is preferable. Better yet go sit in each model, and let the cook decide!

The main reason we got our current FC20 was the corner galley with two sinks -- the best galley in an Airstream until you get up to 25' IMO. Your proposed 28' galley is nice, with the dinette opposite to make good meal prep counter space.

Cooking in the 27' galley would be a drag IMO.

Good luck!

Peter

https://www.airstream.com/travel-tra...pecifications/
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 03:49 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

leander , Texas
owned both

My wife and I owned a 2005 28' CCD. Then bought a 2011 27 Front bedroom. so after years in both, we realized that for us (myself, wife, daughter and her friend, and a dog) the 28' is the better layout overall. The Lounge area is much more comfortable to spread out and feels more like a sitting area. Sitting at the 27' couch, I always felt like I was on a bus! With the sink protruding out and then people's feet extending into the isle, it just feels/is more cramped. Airstream lists the 28' a whopping 1 inch shorter than the 27'. Here's my cons to both...

27': hard to access exterior storage compartment
TV sits perpendicular to couch- odd angle to watch
you have to drop the dinette for the extra beds
front bed puts you on the noisier (park traffic)end of the trailer to sleep

28': no dedicated pantry........that's about it!!

So with that said, we just bought a 2017' 28' Serenity.We did get it with a few more goodies. In Texas, the one a/c struggled big time in the summer. So the new one has 2 a/c units, back up cam, power awning, convection microwave and awning package. Guess that says it all (for us) right there!
mastercaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:21 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
Perhaps as a minority of one, I like & find quite workable the funky "lobster pot" sink on the 27. Furthermore, as shown in the attached photo, there's approximately a foot of counter space between the faucet and the wall. Lastly, I replaced the stock faucet + soap dispenser with a different faucet --- see photo --- which seems to work better for us.

Numbers of responders here have said that the 28 works better for them than the 27. When I read their many responses, the message I get is that the 28 does work better for more than a couple, such as a couple with kids or visitors, especially when an extra bed is needed. I don't have any quarrel with that at all. My only point is the obverse of that, namely, that the 27 may work better when all that is needed or wanted is a trailer for merely a couple (and perhaps a dog). I'm glad that AS provides so many alternatives so that each buyer can find what's best for him or her.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sink.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	446.8 KB
ID:	285617  
Old 05-16-2017, 05:31 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
We are looking to upgrade from our 25' to either a 27 or a 28 FC Twin. We have an F150 4x4 which works fine for 25. Looking for experience input on:
1) do I need 3/4 T if I go to 28? Hitch weight jumps up around 130 more lbs.
2) what is best floor plan? We like the layout of 28 best but 27 could work also. Looking for pros and cons...

We have final pricing on both units and very similar.
thanks for your opinions and advice.
Your thread got merged with this one FYI.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote