Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2018, 11:32 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Sanford , Florida
2018 roof leak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Returned from a 6 week voyage north recently and we noticed water dripping (during thunderstorms) from roof along the riveted seam above the bathroom sink!!!! We noticed this first week out, in N.C. mountains. The number TWO reason for my being an AS owner has drowned (pun intended). Number ONE reason being the resale value. I was so ANGRY. How could this be on a brand new AS??? Made an appointment with my dealer for when I return home BUT realized that our intended visit to Pittsburg (great town) would have us just 3 hour drive west to THE AS FACTORY!!! After dodging multiple "no's", they agreed to see me on Monday at 7AM (August 13). PERFECT! Long story short, seems as if SOMEONE forgot to pull the vent pipe ( grey tank) up and seal it and cap it. Quality Control issue? They also addressed 10 other (minor) things that were bothering me, all to PERFECTION. Touring their factory made me understand how BUSY they are and that things like this error get thru so I was NOT a jerk about it. The factory is the ONLY place to go for repairs to your AS as every dealer is either incompetent or overpriced. Usually BOTH!! Met many fellow AS owners at factory who KNOW that their issues could only be resolved expertly and fairly by the AS factory! All my repairs were done under warrantee and best of all, my faith in AS is RESTORED!!!
Old 09-10-2018, 11:54 AM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I doubt if all dealers are incompetent. Not everyone is within 3 hours of the factory.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:58 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Nothing new...,

...they also screwed up, (in our case lack of screw), the black tank vent install on our '03 Classic. 👎
Notice no caulk under, only around after install. More than half the screws missing😳
Self-repaired👍

Good Luck

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_fb0.jpeg
Views:	198
Size:	523.7 KB
ID:	322128  
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2018, 11:03 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Like Bob said... fix it properly.. do it yourself.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:57 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Sanford , Florida
The vast majority of dealers are incompetent. The prices they charge are 4 times what the factory charges. I know this for a fact as I met this nice couple from Beaufort, S.C. at the factory with a crushed rear. Dealer wanted $20k and no guarantees it would be as good as new. They DROVE to the factory to get it done correctly AND the cost was $5k.My dealer replaced my bathroom sink bowl which had rusted. They DO NOT STOCK AS parts so on trip # 2 they replaced it and did a lousy job as in it leaked!!!!
Old 09-25-2018, 06:38 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
2018 23' International
Middle of nowhere , Eastern NC
Before you freak out....what you may have is m
Not a leak but condensation from the AC.... we had the same problem and called AS and they said most roof leaks will run down to the windows.
See if the leak is along the seams between two sailing vents...if so just use a paper towel and hold up to the edge and you can absorb all the moisture....then if it doesn’t clear up you can get AS to wrap extra insulation to eliminate the condensation... this is under warranty and yes a hassle but it’s not a roof leak and that’s the point. Don’t trash your new AS yet...look into it. The folks at AS have seen this and are happy to help.
Larkoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Warranty work at JC

I live 500 miles from Jackson Center, so 1000 mile round trip. Twice I have made the pilgrimage to JC for warranty work. Both times all fixed well and had great time going on factory tour and visiting with other AS owners. I have 4 dealers within 200 miles from my home. I would only consider Out of Doors Mart in Greensboro, N.C. for any service work once warranty is over. I am pretty handy so I can probably fix most things myself. The warranty work I had done were only items I could not address. I corrected many minor assembly glitches myself before going to JC. If at all possible, make a nice trip out of it and go to JC for repairs. Just MHO FWIW.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:17 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I have only been to the factory for warranty service. All minor adjustments and some mods. Very pleased with the service and attention to detail. It was a 1350 mile round trip, but we made it fun. I have several dealers closer, but I plan on a factory trip every couple of years.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:35 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Lakeland , Florida
We quite like our 2018 Serenity 27. The bedroom a/c quit working and rather than repair it, Airstream replaced it. Shortly thereafter we saw a leak in the head similar to the OP. The dealer sent a man out a week later, who recalked the a/c, though he did say it looked fine.

It leaked next big storm.

They doubled up the gasket for the replaced a/c and as he was climbing down, he noticed a small gap around the bathroom vent. He fixed it.

Hasn’t leaked since.

I never got angry, I appreciate everything Airstream and the dealer did and life is good.
BCC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:22 PM   #10
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I’m always surprised that so many people assume that all Airstream dealers are in close proximity to where the Airstream or owners live. Not all states have authorized AS service centers and even some of those are iffy at best. I made the pilgrimage to JC because of major body damage ($10,000) inflicted by a very reputable service center. I drove 2,000 miles round trip in March and I’m glad I did and would do it again. In fact I have an appointment in April in JC to go over my TT before I hit the road for 6 months. Little things I do myself, like the water pump just died so I’ll replace it next week, my shower head is not allowing water to pass through so I will take it apart and see if I can get whatever debris is stuck freed up, if not I’ll replace it. I have no intention of waiting months for repairs if I can do it myself. There was a time, a very brief moment, that I thought owning a brand new iconic TT would be or should be trouble free, that lasted about 24 hours.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
I agree with the post suggesting the problem is more likely condensation. Condensation can fool you into thinking you have a leak and condensation is definitely something you need to manage in an Airstream while spending more than a few days on the road (in our experience). The real leaks I have had show up on the floor. Condensation shows up in a variety of locations depending outside temperature, relative humidity, and interior temperature. The shower, cooking, and CPAP machines can quickly overload inside humidity unless you make an effort to ventilate / dehumidify the trailer.